• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's biggest flaw: Swimming

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Well, maybe it's not the "biggest" flaw but, ever since swimming was announced I've been thinking, "How can Sonic swim?". The answer is....he can't.

Sonic hasn't been able to swim on his own in any game to date. What I mean by "on his own" is that in the two games he could stay afloat in he use some kind of floatation device. Examples:

-Sonic Advanced 3:
If I can remember correctly, if he was paired-up with Cream, he would have an innertube when he hit the water.

-Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games:
For the swimming events, Sonic would wear a life jacket.

I don't think that they would that generous as to give Sonic a floation device that activates automatically especially in a game that's as unforgiving as Brawl.

Not being able to swim might not be that big of a problem, but at the very least, it make Sonic another unique character.

Sonic doesn't need to swim. Look at his recovery! It's absolutely amazing!
From the videos I'm seen it actually seems to hinder them coming back to the stage by moving slower, not faster. Sonic's jumping would be much faster.
So it's not a flaw, it's blessing!

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sonic can swim just like any character in Brawl. Smash Bros. doesn't completely follow the games: Like Olimar's size for example.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Sonic makes some struggling motions and actually stays above the water for a second before he sinks. He probably is the worst swimming character, next to Metal <character> and stone kirby.

TrePVox

Smash Cadet
Yeah I agree with Smashwolf on that one. He probably has like a flail he does to keep him afloat. I think Sega wouldn't have left Nintendo alone because never could swim.

S4k3

Smash Rookie
In Sonic and Mario at the Olympics Sonic basically does a running motion for his swim, but its still above the water since he has the life jacket, and Cream gave Sonic an air bubble when he went under water, which was awesome, Cream was easily one of his best partners in that game.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Sonic makes some struggling motions and actually stays above the water for a second before he sinks. He probably is the worst swimming character, next to Metal <character> and stone kirby.
I agree. He probably just dog paddles his way around. Better stay away from water Sonic mainers.

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
In Sonic and Mario at the Olympics Sonic basically does a running motion for his swim, but its still above the water since he has the life jacket, and Cream gave Sonic an air bubble when he went under water, which was awesome, Cream was easily one of his best partners in that game.
I remember that life jacket thing. I actually lol'd quite a bit when he finally started "swimming".

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
He gets a count down and in that time he must get out of the water or inhale a giant bubble GOGOGO

Xgamer245

Smash Cadet
Woah he ran on water in Sonic 3??!?! Wooah way to use chakra....
but really uh, Sonic can't swim so does he wear a life jacket when he hits water or does he sink.
BETTER YET is it possible to make a underwater stage? Sonic would get so pwned in that stage....a Magikarp would probably win against sonic >.> (underwater)

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
Looks like he got some experience during the Olympics lol.

Probably will still sink at some point...and what the heck happen with Snake? He couldn't get himself out of the water lol

Fire4All

Smash Cadet
Yeah Sonic never swam in SA...or SA2... ALTHOUGH I recall in Sonic X, Amy gets knocked into the water, Sonic freaks out, dives into the ocean, and swims.(I think the episode was "The Last Resort" or something.) This is abnormal, but Sonic X was partly official of the Sonic franchise. Also take a closer look at that video, he is flailing like insanity on a stick. My theory is that if he freaks out, he can paddle some.

(And yes, I'm a big enough nerd to remember these things)

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Yeah Sonic never swam in SA...or SA2... ALTHOUGH I recall in Sonic X, Amy gets knocked into the water, Sonic freaks out, dives into the ocean, and swims.(I think the episode was "The Last Resort" or something.) This is abnormal, but Sonic X was partly official of the Sonic franchise. Also take a closer look at that video, he is flailing like insanity on a stick. My theory is that if he freaks out, he can paddle some.

(And yes, I'm a big enough nerd to remember these things)
Admirable. But I still can't see him swimming in the Ship stage video.

Edit: My bad, I see it now. Boy, is my face red...:embarrass Yeah, like that...

Gaiash

Smash Cadet
Sonic can swim just like any character in Brawl. Smash Bros. doesn't completely follow the games: Like Olimar's size for example.
Well with Olimar its understandable because there is a Pikmin stage where everyone is his size. However Bonsly's Weight is something that is confusing, hes not supposed to be heavy I mean if you look at the anime Brock lifts him with no trouble at all.

Dark Aether

Smash Cadet
Sonic never new how to swim, though I think it's kind of unfair to show his lack of ability in the game. XD Come to think of it, I think Tails has been the only character to swim legit. Knux and Rouge defy gravity and manage to climb and glide underwater as if they were on land. O_O

Gaiash

Smash Cadet
I wish we could have a better look at Sonic when he swims, he might look troubled.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Well with Olimar its understandable because there is a Pikmin stage where everyone is his size. However Bonsly's Weight is something that is confusing, hes not supposed to be heavy I mean if you look at the anime Brock lifts him with no trouble at all.
In the Anime. That's the key word, alot of things in the Anime are not like the actual games of Pokemon. Most minor characters in the anime aren't even in a Pokemon game.

But still Sonic can still swim slightly in th game. If Pikmin isn't enough, then how is Giga Bowser? I don't remember Bowser ever reaching that level of Size (Except Super Mario Sunshine, in which he's even bigger) and look in ANY mario game. And isn't Kirby suppose to only be 8 inches tall in the official info?

Gaiash

Smash Cadet
In the Anime. That's the key word, alot of things in the Anime are not like the actual games of Pokemon. Most minor characters in the anime aren't even in a Pokemon game.
Well actually his game stats say its weight is 33.0 lbs which apparently is quite light.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Hmm... Maybe all those characters having spent time as trophies for so long became hollow and light or something... Because that is really odd. But hey.. it's still an example that the Smash series don't directly follow the games.

timidshadow

Smash Apprentice
Sonic can stay afloat for a second or two but that's it, he's the worst swimmer in the game and so I guess it stays true to his inability to swim by restricting his time.

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
I think that if sonic falls in the water he will either sink, start to drown like every other character,or get a life jacket and begin to drown like every other character

Top Bottom