• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's many D's

Urb

Smash Journeyman
NP gives some serious hype to the 2D sonic games...but I think 3D ones, like adv. 2. battle are the best. Good music, storyline, and content. in 2D and 2.5D all you can do is...uhh...run to the right? With no real story? With no good content? Oh, joy. The only bad 3D was secret rings...for obvious reasons w/in 5 mins of gameplay. What type of Sonic games do YOU like?

Overload

Smash Lord
sonic is one of those games where I'm not sure if I like the 2d or 3d games better. I think 3d though even though I am pretty excited about sonic unleashed. Metroid on the other hand like the mario games should continue to be released in 3d and 2d not just 3d.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
2d doesn't mean no story. World ends with you is a 2D game, but it's got great story.

While I can't speak for the Sonic game on 360, with th exception of Sonic adventure 2, I've disliked them all. Story was good, but the gameplay was horrible. Sonic Adventure 1, I'm lookin at you. Big the Cat? Fought by fishing? Yeaaaaaaaaah.

gravitycollides

Smash Rookie
I haven't played a lot of Sonic 3-D games but I did play Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the GCN and didn't like it that much.

I still prefer Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic CD over any new Sonic game in the last 5 years. (Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush were okay but not great)

I am looking forward to the new Sonic game from Bioware though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
2d doesn't mean no story. World ends with you is a 2D game, but it's got great story.

While I can't speak for the Sonic game on 360, with th exception of Sonic adventure 2, I've disliked them all. Story was good, but the gameplay was horrible. Sonic Adventure 1, I'm lookin at you. Big the Cat? Fought by fishing? Yeaaaaaaaaah.
That was mainly the only part from that game that seemed pointless.

Strangely enough, the 3D Sonic games tend to be easier to complete compared to the classic 2D Sonic games.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
the sonic 2D games are better than 3D games. well except sonic adventure, in every other sonic 3D game, the gameplay is horrible. besides the 2D games were popular, respected. the 3D ones are just made fun of and are a laughing stock

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
the sonic 2D games are better than 3D games. well except sonic adventure, in every other sonic 3D game, the gameplay is horrible. besides the 2D games were popular, respected. the 3D ones are just made fun of and are a laughing stock
You do know that if you say the 2D games are better, you have to include the Game Gear games as well.

And last time I recalled, all the Sonic game Gear Games were mediocre (Sonic 1, Triple Chaos) or just plain bad (Tails Sky patrol, Sonic 2) with the exception of Tails' Adventure.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
You do know that if you say the 2D games are better, you have to include the Game Gear games as well.

And last time I recalled, all the Sonic game Gear Games were mediocre (Sonic 1, Triple Chaos) or just plain bad (Tails Sky patrol, Sonic 2) with the exception of Tails' Adventure.
well i meant the ones on the genesis. probably should said that on my other comment

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion

OMG you mean there was a way for Sonic Chaos and Sonic Triple Trouble to link together like Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

>_>

<_<

But seriously, if I had to rate the 2d games out of ten (please keep in mind this is all IMO):

Sonic 1: 7.0
Sonic2: 8.8
Sonic3 : 8.5
Sonic& Knuckles: 8.6 (Sonic 3&K: 9.3)

Sonic1GG: 6.6
Sonic2GG: 6.7
Sonic Chaos: 7.0
Sonic Triple Trouble : 7.3
Sonic Blast: 4.5
Sonic Labrynth(sp?) : 5.0
Tails Adventure: 7.3

Now for the 3d games:

Sonic Adventure(DX): 7.4
SA2B: 7.3
Sonic Heroes: 6.6
Shaodw the Hedgehog: 6.5
Sonic and the Secret Rings : 7.2
Sonic '06: N/A

Winner: 2d games

Urb

Smash Journeyman
OMG you mean there was a way for Sonic Chaos and Sonic Triple Trouble to link together like Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

>_>

<_<

But seriously, if I had to rate the 2d games out of ten (please keep in mind this is all IMO):

Sonic 1: 7.0
Sonic2: 8.8
Sonic3 : 8.5
Sonic& Knuckles: 8.6 (Sonic 3&K: 9.3)

Sonic1GG: 6.6
Sonic2GG: 6.7
Sonic Chaos: 7.0
Sonic Triple Trouble : 7.3
Sonic Blast: 4.5
Sonic Labrynth(sp?) : 5.0
Tails Adventure: 7.3

Now for the 3d games:

Sonic Adventure(DX): 7.4
SA2B: 7.3
Sonic Heroes: 6.6
Shaodw the Hedgehog: 6.5
Sonic and the Secret Rings : 7.2
Sonic '06: N/A

Winner: 2d games
I can't believe you gave SA2B a 7.3! The chao garden ALONE was like a 9.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The little part of me inside that loves the retro Sonic games exploded when you said that the 3D games are better than them.

Actually, it's not so little.

SA2 is the only GOOD 3D game. Sonic Adventure/Sonic Heroes were okay, the rest are awful. Do not DARE say they're better than retro Sonic. Sonic 1 didn't have a whole lot of plot, nor did Sonic 2. But the little plot they did have was just perfect, in my opinion. And Sonic 3/& Knuckles had a plot. Just because it had no text doesn't mean it had no plot. The retro Sonic games were, and still are, great, and if you can't appreciate them, then there's something wrong with you.

GreenKirby said:

You do know that any reference to "3D" includes Shadow the Hedgehog, right?

Even including Game Gear games, with the exception of SA2, the 2D games were better. That's right.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
They should make an SA3. SA2 is my favorite sonic game to date and that was the whole reason i bought my Gamecube. I like SA/SA2 because of the whole, be a bunch of character with a bunch of different plots and a bunch of different attacks aspect. And I loved The chao garden and how you could raise them. Imagine what you could do with chao and online play. I just have high hopes for a SA3 game sometime in a few years. But as of now, the 2D sonic games are much better. (Excluding SA2)

Does anyone else think sonic went downhill at Sonic heroes?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
They should make an SA3. SA2 is my favorite sonic game to date and that was the whole reason i bought my Gamecube. I like SA/SA2 because of the whole, be a bunch of character with a bunch of different plots and a bunch of different attacks aspect. And I loved The chao garden and how you could raise them. Imagine what you could do with chao and online play. I just have high hopes for a SA3 game sometime in a few years. But as of now, the 2D sonic games are much better. (Excluding SA2)

Yeah. I don't know about everyone else, but in the group of people I know, it's a consensus that Sonic Heroes was the beginning of Sonic's downfall. Heroes was okay, the final (and I mean FINAL, not the one at the end of each regular story) battle made me think better of it than it actually might've been. But yeah, after Sonic Heroes it was pretty bad. Heroes was okay, Shadow the Hedgehog is a game that should burn in hell. Not only was it easy but it was just...so...STUPID. Why is it that the swords only had 6 ammo? Tell me that!
And the different story endings were annoying. Wait...OH MY GOD, SHADOW'S A ROBOT!...No wait, no he's not. Wait, yes he is! Then you do the final story and you get some weirdo plotline. The only good thing to come of that game was that every time I hear "FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM!" I burst out laughing and "Never Turn Back", the credits music, was a good song. I love the piano intro.

Speaking of, going a little off-topic, does anyone else find "We Can (Sonic Team's Theme)" annoyingly catchy? It's so corny (We can make it if we all stick together, we won't give up not ever, and EVERYTHING'S gonna be all right, we all bring out the best things in each other, together we are stronger than ANYONE ELSE could be on their own, so much better than alone...okay I'll stop) but it's SO FREAKIN' CATCHY!

But yeah, SA2 was good but I really wouldn't call it the best game. It was awesome, no doubt, but for one thing, it's pretty easy. I never thought it before, but...I sat down, and in a few hours I beat Dark Side Story. I didn't do the other two, but I had a sudden urge to play the game and I sat down and *BOOM* done.
One awesome thing about that game, though, is once you beat the Last Story, after it goes through the final cutscene/credits, it has that line (which I think is pretty epic); "A new day brings new adventure. But for now, rest easy heroes." But maybe I'm just nuts.

An SA3 would be cool, only I'd be too afraid they'd take the good note that it ended on before and change it into a bad one. But, fun fact: in the early stages of development, Sonic Unleashed was called Sonic Adventure 3.

Games'n'Music

Smash Cadet
I haven't touched a Sonic game in a long time.
Last one I remember playing was Sonic Heroes, and it was okay, I guess.
Never beat it though. However, I really enjoyed SA2B and SDX for the cube.
Maybe I'll try out that new Sonic game thats coming out. (I can't remember the name right now...XD)

Organous

Smash Apprentice
I feel the 3D games have actually gotten better as time goes on. Sonic Adventure DX was so ungodly horrible I can't stand to play it anymore. I only went through it the first time to get the story, and now I'm disappointed that I did. It was more movie than game and the camera was just unworkable. SA2 improved significantly, but still had its problems. I actually loved Sonic Heroes. I loved the teamwork angle that was kinda like Lost Vikings to me. Shadow was probably worse, but not as much as you guys are claiming.
I've always heard that Sonic was "love it or hate it," though. There just doesn't seem to be any middle ground. Ok, the story is always bad. So is the voice acting and, as good as it sounds, the lyrics for the music don't make any sense. In fact, I can't honestly think of one good thing I can defend about 3D Sonic games (haven't played the newer 2D ones), except that they feel good. It's like a delicious Whopper sandwich. They might be made with totally inferior and probably unhealthy ingredients, but they taste ssssssooooooooooooooooo goooooood. That's really what Sonic's all about to me, the feelings they invoke.

Urb

Smash Journeyman

Actually, Sonic Unleashed was going to be SA3, but they changed so much of the SA formula in it that they decided to make it Unleashed instead, this suggests that they are indeed going to work on SA3, which I too am dying for...

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
You do know that any reference to "3D" includes Shadow the Hedgehog, right?

Even including Game Gear games, with the exception of SA2, the 2D games were better. That's right.
Yes I know that. Unlike most people here, I played almost every Sonic console and handheld Sonic game to date. Also, unlike most people here, I'm not glorfying the 2D games because of nostalgia. I'm also not stupid enough to fall into the hype of the 3D games as I enjoyed both Adventure 1/2, Heroes, and Riders.

Honestly, how the hell are the majority of Game Gear games are good? Sonic 2 was too hard, Sonic Drift was too easy, Sonic Drift 2's AI made MK64 AI look like perfect angels.

Labryth (sp) didn't feel like a Sonic game. Not because it was slow (hell that was the fun part about the game), but because there was no Sonic elements other than Sonic himself. Fang the Sniper was the only good thing that came out of Triple Trouble.

Amide

Smash Lord
I gotta say, the new game looks pretty cool. The 3D games have been a little glitchy, but the 2D games for me were just running to the right with the occasional jump and boss. I guess I'm in the minority that likes the 3D.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
>_>

<_<

In case anybody missed it, the trailer for Sonic Unleashed from E3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkZpXZ0G8A&fmt=18
The gameplay looks really forced. "Now you see here, in this section, you press the shoulder buttons to navigate through the tunnels, and in this scene here, you collect object while mercilessly pressing B to kill all the enemies." The cinematic scenes look gorgeous though. I actually now want a "Sonic Movie", not another Sonic game. :D

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

I think Sonic went downhill after SA1. SA2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and although I haven't played them, I've heard nothing but bad things for Secret Rings and 2006 Sonic. Oh, and Sonic 3D Blast...even before Sonic went true 3D, his 3D adventures were bad. I don't understand how Sonic Adventure got such praise, then they rerelease it, make it better and faster, and put in on the GC and all of a sudden, even SA1 is considered bad.

Hmmm...I prefer Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, and the Advance games. Sonic Rush was fine, Sonic Adventure Rush...no.

Notice I didn't rank Sonic CD with my favorites. It's ok, I guess. Its seriously overhyped, that's for d*mn sure. I actually liked Sonic 1 more than CD, and yes, I loved the time travel aspect. And still, I liked "1" over CD.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
IMO, the only sonic games worth mentioning are 1-3 cd and knuckles (and only barely S&K, mostly for the plug in factor). I grew up on sonic, and the way I look at it, sonic isn't meant to be hard to complete. The way to play sonic is speed runs. And the second sonic 3d blast came out (and sucked), that was abandoned.

There is nothing better in gaming than getting all the way through sonic 2 in less than 25 minutes (or so, cant remember exactly what my times were anymore). Except maybe finishing stage 2-2 in less than 20 seconds =). Its a rush, its nerve wracking, it requires lightning reflexes and proficiency. I would love to see a sonic racing league lol. Me and my neighbor would swap games off all day to see who could go faster, find the craziest shortcuts or cover the most ground just bouncing on enemies at 200 mph never touching the ground.

The sonic 3d games have none of this, none of the twitch or excitement. They just feel watered down to me. They went 3d because it was the cool new thing, but "sonic" dosn't work in 3d, there are too many variables. The sense of speed is gone, if it's not 2d, he's not the blue blur.

Edit: ps. the game gear games were garbage. the level design sucked, and they tried to make it about fighting monsters and getting through the stage. barf

Pikminmaniac

Smash Cadet
The Sonic Gameplay style has always worked far better in 2-D and that is why every 2-D sonic gets good reviews and most of the 3-D ones tank. The Sonic Rush series is what's carrying the torch of Sonic these days. BTW stop putting humans in Sonic games!!! It makes no sence.

PKNessEB

Smash Journeyman
I liked almost every major Sonic game. Except for the ones on DS.
So do I,except for all the Game Gear game(Sonic 2,Triple Trouble are the only ones I liked on GG) & Shadow's game for the firearms which I just speed past them & don't pick them up.Sonic Adventure DX had more problems then the Dreamcast version didX(
Sonic Rush was pretty cool,didn't really care about the sailing levels on the 2nd one.

DS_Dragon

Smash Rookie
I have always loved the genesis games. I cant speak much on the 3D games since I've only played Sonic Heroes multiplayer and Sonic and the Secret Rings (which I actually like)

The Genesis games were really simple, all three buttons did the same thing, make Sonic jump instead of all these new moves sonic has (you wouldnt believe how long it took me to figure out how to do a homing attack in SatSR). But despite being simple, they were HARD! Sonic and Knuckles was an extremely hard game. That Desert level with the ghosts was awful.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Gosh...Sonic Unleashed actually looks so good. But this Werehog crap is going to ruin it. Just when it looks like they're REALLY going to get a proper hold on moving Sonic in 3 dimensions (I actually think the parts with the shoulder buttons are a good idea), they have to mess with it and include SOMETHING that slows the game down.

SA1 — "This game's too fast and not nearly frustrating enough. Force the player to beat the game with Big in order to unlock Super Sonic!"

SA2 — "We have to find a way to make Tails similar to Eggman. Put him in a REALLY slow, metal walker so that we piss off all the Tails fans out there who would rather see him flying around, doing what he does best."

Sonic Heroes — "Instead of having a really fun 'Race to the Goal' type level, let's include a bunch of walls and **** that the player has to crush or fly over by switching characters. It's not like that would disrupt the flow of the game or anything."

Sonic '06 — "Silver! Silver! Silver! And throw Shadow in a tank while you're at it."

It's madness.

P.S. Am I the only one who owns SA2 for the Dreamcast instead of "Battle" for the GCN?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
P.S. Am I the only one who owns SA2 for the Dreamcast instead of "Battle" for the GCN?
No your not I still own that game, but you have to admit the one on GC has a better items to raise your chao's and much better muitiplayer. Why does SA2B have a lower score than SA2, I'll never know.

I don't know about you guy's, but I enjoy playing Zero Gravity the most in out of all the Sonic games I got. O_o

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I literally picked up the 360 one for $5 out of curiosity at a flea market. I wish I could return it, but you know, flea markets.

The newest one looks like the worst yet. What's one worse idea than Sonic turning into a lycanthrope?

PKNessEB

Smash Journeyman
No your not I still own that game, but you have to admit the one on GC has a better items to raise your chao's and much better muitiplayer. Why does SA2B have a lower score than SA2, I'll never know.

I don't know about you guy's, but I enjoy playing Zero Gravity the most in out of all the Sonic games I got. O_o
I still have the Dreamcast version of SA2 as well.

I'm with you there about Zero Gravity,Viper!XD

IMO Secret Ring didn't seem like a good game till I've played it enough to level Sonic up & I was able to add abilities to him,The game was all right.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I hate Shadow. Dr. Eggman is the TRUE antagonist of the franchise, not the cliche and lame Sonic clone.
Well then it's a good thing that Shadow isn't an antagonist. And never has been. :ohwell:

To tell you the truth, I never got around to picking up the GC version (which I should because my Dreamcast, being the reliable piece of machinery that it is, doesn't really play disks anymore).

I was just wondering if anyone else owned the Dreamcast version at all, or if most people just didn't touch it until it appeared on the GCN.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I have to admit, I'm actually looking foward to the Werehog parts of Unleashed more than the regular Sonic levels. The regular levels look like you just watch Sonic run. Even if the Werehog parts are just button-mashing, at least it will feel like playing rather than watching.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Sonic 1, sonic 2, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush 2 and Sonic Spinball. The best sonics.

"All you do in 2d sonics is run to the right". Sure, or sometimes to the left. But all you do in 3d sonics is run forwards. It's just as much on the rails as it ever was, only from a different perspective.

I also don't think running into the screen works if you're going to try and go as fast as a sonic game. Maybe I need to play some of them more, but I can never tell what's going on in time to dodge an enemy or position myself right. The camera and controls combine to make collecting anything a chore if it isn't on the ground, and you stop and start far too much, there's never that feeling of momentum you get when you build up speed in the 2d sonics.

I think the 3d sonics work so poorly in execution that if it wasn't for the 2d sonics, anyone who tried to make a game like that would never get funding for it.

edit: ok, perhaps this is a bit harsh. I'm going to go rent a 3d sonic and give it a decent playing and see if I can come to like it.

Top Bottom