• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's recovery in 3.5

How do you think sonic should be handled in the next update?

• Small recovery nerf

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Small recovery nerf + small buffs

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Keep sonic the same

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • The PMBR knows best.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
PMBR's most recent post discussed Nerfing some of the games "better" recoveries.
Sonic defiantly has one of the best recoveries in the game being able to spin shot, grab the ledge with spin maneuvers (side-b), jump out of spin maneuvers, homing attack someone on the stage, and spring and attack. Even without a jump he can still come back from far off the stage be repeatedly using stale homing attacks or blast attacks.

That being said, would it be worth weakening this awesome recovery in favor of buffs in his attack power?
If the rest of the cast had recoveries that were easier to gimp maybe sonic would be fine with just a recovery nerf.

Maybe he should have a tether like in sonic boom?

GabPR

Smash Lord
Sonic's on stage game is already beastly, so I do not believe he would need a buff on stage. I may be inclined to agree on the small nerf on the recovery.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
It'll be hard to nerf portions of his recovery without hurting his on stage game, I think an applicable nerf in that sense would be midair homing attack nerf on miss.

Ariyo

Smash Apprentice
A couple things that I think will make his recovery less ridiculous:
  • HA should go into special fall if whiffed
  • Air side B has a similar distance to spin maneuvers and if jump timing is missed, momentum halts and Sonic special falls
  • Spinshot timing tightened to first few frames
  • Up B height lessened a bit and bair - air dodge trick removed

Last edited:

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
A couple things that I think will make his recovery less ridiculous:
  • HA should go into special fall if whiffed
  • Air side B has a similar distance to spin maneuvers and if jump timing is missed, momentum halts and Sonic special falls
  • Spinshot timing tightened to first few frames
  • Up B height lessened a bit and bair - air dodge trick removed
HA should not go into special fall if whiffed.
Instead i think the stalling effect should diminish with each use per air time.

Another possibility would be to have the HA usable once per air time unless sonic hits something with it.
This would mean that sonic has to decide between getting that extra bit of distance from a single stall or save it to try and HA the opponent.

The spring -> B-air -> Air dodge can be reacted to easily and should be easy to stop but considering all of his other great options I agree that it is unnecessary and should be removed.

Most of sonic's recovery tricks are nerfed without a second jump and he has to expend it every time he want to return from far away. If you hit sonic off stage when he doesn't have a second jump he should only be able to spring from below (if he even manages to drift close enough) or try and side B from a distance which has an easy to follow path.

If anything else is nerfed it could seriously hurt his on stage game.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I think maybe a small recovery nerf if its necessary, as long as it isn't something that will potentially screw some people over severely . Even small nerfs if done wrong could be a bad thing I tend to think.

Last edited:

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
I think maybe a small recovery nerf if its necessary, as long as it isn't something that will potentially screw some people over severely . Even small nerfs if done wrong could be a bad thing I tend to think.
I partially agree. If they were to nerf sonic's recovery to the point where i think bowser has a better recovery i would be perfectly fine with that IF they also totally buffed onstage sonic.

If the whole cast were to become on stage monsters and off stage paper weights the game would be very fun indeed.

EDIT: would anyone want 2.5b sonic to return with 2.1 sonic's down air and a heavily nerfed recovery?

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I just want the current Sonic with a nerfed whiffed homing attack of some fashion; make the stalling effect similar to Mario's cape so he loses height everytime. That would be a fair and apt recovery nerf, in my opinion. Nerfing side b or down b would butcher his onstage potential.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I partially agree. If they were to nerf sonic's recovery to the point where i think bowser has a better recovery i would be perfectly fine with that IF they also totally buffed onstage sonic.

If the whole cast were to become on stage monsters and off stage paper weights the game would be very fun indeed.

EDIT: would anyone want 2.5b sonic to return with 2.1 sonic's down air and a heavily nerfed recovery?
What was Sonic like in 2.1 I;'ve only played version 2.5 and up.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
side b was just an fast, arcing spin dash. If you didn't tech sonic's down air it would pop you up and he could do it again and again and again. there also was not blast attack. instead he simply got to cancel out of a hit with the HA. 2.1 and 2.5 sonic were both over powered.

ynglink

Smash Rookie
NNID
ynglink
I agree that if Sonic is knocked off stage without a second jump, that it's game over for him. That being said, I don't think the Up-B should be nerfed, and if the do nerf it, just a little bit of height gain. The Homing Attack nerf where it only pops up once or similar to Mario's cape I'd be fine with for sure.

BBoySonicX

Smash Rookie
NNID
BBoySonicX
I'd be in favor of nerfed recovery, and would even be fine without buffs to his attack power. His "power" comes in his speed anyway.
Out of the ideas suggested above, I'd go with the one HA per airtime unless you hit something. Since chaining them together requires technique anyway, this nerf would be good for specifically stunting Sonic's recovery without causing players to be gimped by a missed HA.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I've literally only gotten to play five minutes, so I can't give a true evaluation, but I don't like the fact that Sonic's homing attack only works once before he goes into a free fall. I will have to wait until I can make a better evaluation, but from what it seems like, I going to probably die a lot now, since I was very reliant on that to get back to the stage, especially I couldn't spin shot, or spin shot didn't quite get me close enough. Now I have to wonder what the hell am I going to do once I get knocked off the stage now? I can only hope that when I get more time to play that I get to see what he got buffed, as the recovery nerf for him was what I was worried about the most, and it happened.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
I've literally only gotten to play five minutes, so I can't give a true evaluation, but I don't like the fact that Sonic's homing attack only works once before he goes into a free fall. I will have to wait until I can make a better evaluation, but from what it seems like, I going to probably die a lot now, since I was very reliant on that to get back to the stage, especially I couldn't spin shot, or spin shot didn't quite get me close enough. Now I have to wonder what the hell am I going to do once I get knocked off the stage now? I can only hope that when I get more time to play that I get to see what he got buffed, as the recovery nerf for him was what I was worried about the most, and it happened.
Just practice, recovering. Spin dash jump all the way to the boundary and then try to get back.

Top Bottom