• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's worst matchup

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
what character doesn't have more priority than sonic right now? Playing well with sonic revolves around weaving in fast and efficiently in this matchup. Against the pills, you may end up having to time a run through, or try to get Mario above you in some way. It isn't impossible, but the m.u is annoying, plus your reward for getting in is a character with just about as good of a close quarters game, just slower.

nskid

Smash Rookie
Begins with a S and ends with your death.

Spacies.
LOL, remember the earlier Project M versions: starting at 5:21

Well, anyways, I think that characters with projectiles that can knock you out of a spindash or soumersalt such as Falco's lasers.

Last edited:

Blenger

Smash Rookie
Which character do you guys think would be the best secondary (counterpick) against bad matchups for sonic?

Also, what do you think about Sonic vs Wario matchup? I think its in wario's favor because his side B can beat all your aproaches, even if you jump he can still follow you jumping whit his really strong shoulder.

Last edited:

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
I agree, wario's side B and Nair both give sonic trouble, but aside from those he doesn't have too many tools vs sonic.

How do sonic mains feel vs king d3? I found out his inhale beats spindash

Blenger

Smash Rookie
the think with d3 inhale is that starts really slow and sonic can punish it easily

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
As someone who mains Sonic I can definitely say projectiles are a pain in the butt. Especially against characters like Falco and Mario who make it hard for him to approach. Fox can also be just as annoying as Falco as you ask me even though his lasers don't have hit stun. They rack up damage so fast.

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
If you powershield a few pills/fireballs you may convince the mario player to quit spamming them long enough for you to Dash dance in front of them and bait them into doing a ground move so you can punish.

IMO it is easier to powershield the fireballs before they bounce or after the apex of their bounce, right after they bounce they come at you with this weird angle and trajectory that is pretty awkward.

Anyone got any tips for dealing with metaknights bair and nair? On stage MK will often use nair to stop my spin dashes. If I'm recovering I often take bairs or nairs after upB, or they downsmash. If I recover too high they grab and I get to be part of their lovely downthrow tech chase or combo depending on how I DI.

Falco's lasers and oppressive neutral game in general are irritating but if you can get him in the air or offstage one time it is either a lot of damage or a stock.

roxolid

Smash Cadet
You just have to respect MK's bair and nair, just like you have to expect any other character's decent aerials when you're spin dashing--sonic's priority there is dismal. For recovery, learn to sweet spot perfectly, because, like you said, if you go too high, you get obliterated. Sweet spotting should help you immensely

Piefrenzy

Smash Cadet
I think Peach might be a little annoying vs Sonic just because of turnip spam and with her floatiness she can space out any aerial approaches Sonic might take.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Speaking of which does anyone have advice on fighting her with Sonic. I was fighting a friend of mine the other day and I just could not beat him using Sonic no matter how hard I tried. I had to switch to using Zelda/Sheik. That damn floatyness and that ability of hers to hover is extremely problematic for Sonic, since she is almost never on the ground. Not to mention she has the advantage of projectiles as well, making it extremely difficult to approach her.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Speaking of which does anyone have advice on fighting her with Sonic. I was fighting a friend of mine the other day and I just could not beat him using Sonic no matter how hard I tried. I had to switch to using Zelda/Sheik. That damn floatyness and that ability of hers to hover is extremely problematic for Sonic, since she is almost never on the ground. Not to mention she has the advantage of projectiles as well, making it extremely difficult to approach her.
Peach has a really strong defensive game, but limited approaches without turnips . The way I play vs Her is by taking my time and waiting to catch the player off guard or bait them into throwing out an attack. Another thing regarding peach and other floties is that you do not want to remain too close to them or bee too aggresive at low percents, you do damage and after the combo get out and wait for another opening. Here is an example of a game I played vs a Peach player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKBDyzARC5Q

Hope it helps

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Peach has a really strong defensive game, but limited approaches without turnips . The way I play vs Her is by taking my time and waiting to catch the player off guard or bait them into throwing out an attack. Another thing regarding peach and other floties is that you do not want to remain too close to them or bee too aggresive at low percents, you do damage and after the combo get out and wait for another opening. Here is an example of a game I played vs a Peach player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKBDyzARC5Q

Hope it helps
Not sure when I will get to play this particular friend again (as he's the only person I know who plays peach), but this definitely is helpful. I dunno how good practicing against the computer will do, but fighting the computer is better than nothing at all lol :). Thanks for the assistance GabPR.

Edit: Totally irrelevant, but that video literally happened to show up on my youtube feed as a suggestion not to long ago go figure lol.

Last edited:

GabPR

Smash Lord
It is not bad to practice vs computers to see if some combos work or not (depending on DI) but be careful of not catching bad habits.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
It is not bad to practice vs computers to see if some combos work or not (depending on DI) but be careful of not catching bad habits.
The only bad habit I have is sometimes being to aggressive which is normal for me to be honest

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Peach has a really strong defensive game, but limited approaches without turnips . The way I play vs Her is by taking my time and waiting to catch the player off guard or bait them into throwing out an attack. Another thing regarding peach and other floties is that you do not want to remain too close to them or bee too aggresive at low percents, you do damage and after the combo get out and wait for another opening. Here is an example of a game I played vs a Peach player:s
At the moment I personally think that Peach is definitely the most defensive matchup that Sonic has; while other matchups such as Captain Falcon call for Sonic to be hyper aggressive, Peach denies Sonic's combos lasting longer than 2 hits. I agree with you Gab, the best way to play this matchup is to land two hit spin combos,spaced fairs or jump canceled grabs to punish floats. You have to really watch out for her Nair and Down Smash as those two moves will be the punish she lands on you for overextending anything.

Also, she dies fairly quickly if you sweetspot Uair, so go for up throws guys, if you go for Nairs and she gets out of hitstun before you realise it you'll take her Nair to your face.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I definitely try to keep that in mind when I fight computers.
The only bad habit I have is sometimes being to aggressive which is normal for me to be honest
I typically run into this problem when I get annoyed and that isn't good since Peach is very good at pushing my buttons.

Last edited:

Piefrenzy

Smash Cadet
How does Sonic do against Diddy Kong? I have a friend who is interested in playing both Peach and Diddy Kong, and I'm curious of what other people think of the Sonic vs Diddy Kong match up. From my experience, it wasn't too bad for Sonic.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
How does Sonic do against Diddy Kong? I have a friend who is interested in playing both Peach and Diddy Kong, and I'm curious of what other people think of the Sonic vs Diddy Kong match up. From my experience, it wasn't too bad for Sonic.
I haven't fought any Diddy Kong's, but I would think that the banana's would make it hard for Sonic to approach.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Sonic down b goes over bananas without slipping, so it does not hinder Sonic as much as people.would think it would, and as long as the player has good item control and basics, he should be able to have an.edge against a diddy of equal skill in my opinion.

Piefrenzy

Smash Cadet
Sonic down b goes over bananas without slipping, so it does not hinder Sonic as much as people.would think it would, and as long as the player has good item control and basics, he should be able to have an.edge against a diddy of equal skill in my opinion.
Yeah this was sort of what I was thinking. It's really nice that Sonic's Down B go over Diddy's bananas. It alleviates some of the pressure from them and allows Sonic to somewhat move around the stage like he likes to

Lord Ike

Smash Rookie
Anybody who can match Sonic's speed basically destroys him. So that would be someone like Meta Knight or even Squirtle.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Anybody who can match Sonic's speed basically destroys him. So that would be someone like Meta Knight or even Squirtle.
I wouldn't say this is true in all cases; Captain Falcon is quite an easy matchup and he's certainly a fast character.

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
At the moment I personally think that Peach is definitely the most defensive matchup that Sonic has; while other matchups such as Captain Falcon call for Sonic to be hyper aggressive, Peach denies Sonic's combos lasting longer than 2 hits. I agree with you Gab, the best way to play this matchup is to land two hit spin combos,spaced fairs or jump canceled grabs to punish floats. You have to really watch out for her Nair and Down Smash as those two moves will be the punish she lands on you for overextending anything.

Also, she dies fairly quickly if you sweetspot Uair, so go for up throws guys, if you go for Nairs and she gets out of hitstun before you realise it you'll take her Nair to your face.
The Match up doesn't fit my Playstyle!

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
The Match up doesn't fit my Playstyle!
Then you'll lose haha. I like to go more aggressive too but you'll have to be defensive if you to win this matchup. Peach craps all over you if you pressure her too much. Her crouch cancel into down smash wrecks your spins and nair beats your aerial approaches. Be more defensive.
What makes the Falcon matchup so easy?
He's a fast faller and Sonic's moves can push fast fallers against the ground. He outspeeds Falcon and can punish his mistakes and avoid his aerial moves. Falcon's ground moves are also terrible so Sonic can feel very safe on the ground. Just watch out for Falcon kick

Last edited:

GabPR

Smash Lord
Then you'll lose haha. I like to go more aggressive too but you'll have to be defensive if you to win this matchup. Peach craps all over you if you pressure her too much. Her crouch cancel into down smash wrecks your spins and nair beats your aerial approaches. Be more defensive.

He's a fast faller and Sonic's moves can push fast fallers against the ground. He outspeeds Falcon and can punish his mistakes and avoid his aerial moves. Falcon's ground moves are also terrible so Sonic can feel very safe on the ground. Just watch out for Falcon kick
It is not really an insta lose to play aggresively vs a peach its really just not to play dumb and throw random spin attacks. Like star said, her crouch cancel can punish a lot of your moves, so its better to use grabs and well spaced tilts and bairs to rack up some precentage if the peach remains close to the ground. If she is above you your up air at the tip of the shoes beats everything she has, so it is a good thing to keep that in mind. I also agree with star on Falcon being one of the easiest matchups for Sonic if played right.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Falcon is easier, yes, but it's not an out-and-out victory like some of y'all are painting it. If you let Falcon below you, or he spaces well enough, you're gonna have a bad time getting around his uair. Sonic lacks any punish against a 1st hit nair>LCancel, as if he stays in shield Falcon can grab on reaction, and if you Wavedash OoS he can jab you in your jumpsquat. In fact he recovers from his jab so quickly that it's a return to neutral if anything if he manages to miss you with the jab. Falcon also has a lot of really free followups on Sonic - the DThrow Knee works on nearly any percentage, and the tragic awfulness of Sonic's techrolls make techchasing with Dair a matter of finger dexterity of the Falcon player rather than reads.

If played right, Sonic has a better time than Falcon, but one mistake can lose you the stock more easily than most characters. Just keep on the move and out of range until he overextends, which if the Falcon is playing right, likely isn't going to happen as easily as you want it to. Expect the neutral game to play out for 40+ seconds if both players approach the matchup "right".

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Falcon is easier, yes, but it's not an out-and-out victory like some of y'all are painting it. If you let Falcon below you, or he spaces well enough, you're gonna have a bad time getting around his uair. Sonic lacks any punish against a 1st hit nair>LCancel, as if he stays in shield Falcon can grab on reaction, and if you Wavedash OoS he can jab you in your jumpsquat. In fact he recovers from his jab so quickly that it's a return to neutral if anything if he manages to miss you with the jab. Falcon also has a lot of really free followups on Sonic - the DThrow Knee works on nearly any percentage, and the tragic awfulness of Sonic's techrolls make techchasing with Dair a matter of finger dexterity of the Falcon player rather than reads.

If played right, Sonic has a better time than Falcon, but one mistake can lose you the stock more easily than most characters. Just keep on the move and out of range until he overextends, which if the Falcon is playing right, likely isn't going to happen as easily as you want it to. Expect the neutral game to play out for 40+ seconds if both players approach the matchup "right".
Like you basically said I imagine the two of them to be pretty equal to each other when the two players are the same skill level. I've seen some pretty wicked things that both characters can do. I've seen some pretty wicket Sonic's (you Wizzrobe, Nazo, Mapmark, etc.), but I've also seen some ridiculous Falcons as well, and in either case I'm just sitting there watching these matches and in my mind I keep thinking 2 stronk.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I'm currently placed at Top 3 Sonic's at the moment, which I feel I could be if I played consistently enough against local players, as my play outside of the locals is usually stellar if not fantastical. That said, until I play to that constant, I would hesitate to say my play is 'wicked.'

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow

I agree that Falcon is very good at spacing Uairs and other approaching from the air effectively. I also agree that the matchup must be played smart in order to win. I think it's better to stay grounded when playing this matchup and use spins to your advantages as much as you can. Quick spinshots over the head of the Falcon into reversed spindashes or spin manoveurs is quite effective at carrying Falcon into a quick Nair or Fair.

While I agree that this matchup, like every matchup, needs to be played smartly in order to win, I think Falcon is among the characters that Sonic will have the smoothest time with.

Last edited:

Burning

Smash Rookie
NNID
kazuna-kasai
3DS FC
1977-0205-0646
I seem to just be really inexperienced when I use Sonic then. I find it really difficult to go up against sword wielding characters in general because of their range. If I'm quick enough it's easy, but get caught and I'm done for. @_@;

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I seem to just be really inexperienced when I use Sonic then. I find it really difficult to go up against sword wielding characters in general because of their range. If I'm quick enough it's easy, but get caught and I'm done for. @_@;
You have to play Roy/Marth matchups very safely. Go for reverse spin dashes when they're busy doing other things and jump canceled grabs to lead into kill moves.

I also know Marth can be killed easily regardless of which way he DI's out of your Up throw at around 100%; if he DI's away, jump and spindshot into Nair and if he DI's towards you jump or spring up into a sweetspot Uair.

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
I agree that Falcon is very good at spacing Uairs and other approaching from the air effectively. I also agree that the matchup must be played smart in order to win. I think it's better to stay grounded when playing this matchup and use spins to your advantages as much as you can. Quick spinshots over the head of the Falcon into reversed spindashes or spin manoveurs is quite effective at carrying Falcon into a quick Nair or Fair.

While I agree that this matchup, like every matchup, needs to be played smartly in order to win, I think Falcon is among the characters that Sonic will have the smoothest time with.
Yeah, if you play this MU smartly by staying grounded and baiting out everything Falcon does, there's not much Falcon can do. Falcon can only do anything by capitalizing on huge errors the Sonic player does. He can't outright approach, outright pressure Sonic, or outright prioritize him in any reliable way (except maybe with Falcon kick for the last one lolol). Falcon definitely has a rough life in this MU. Personally, I'd rather go Fox.

Vino.

Been Vino since 2007
In my personal opinion it would be metaknight. Too many disjointed hit boxes to keep sonic out, and almost out prioritize him in every face of the game. Has a guaranteed down throw chain grab into down b, and it's very tough. I feel as if other characters named here were strongly named because of projectiles. If worked around, toon link and Falco are very manageable. Especially Falco due to his terrible recovery, if a Falco fails to react you can side b wave dash repeat on him to a baseball kick and grab ledge and he will usually die, or you can homing attack and grab ledge. I would say it's easily meta knight.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I know it is, but if they don't react quick enough it's a free gimp.
Its not really free if they don't react to the first one spacies can get out of any side b if they are in crouch cancel %

Last edited:
Top Bottom