• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sora: A new perspective on why he might make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Even though I don't like Kingdom Hearts, Sora could be a very, very interesting character with that keyblade combined with magic. I've had time to read the story and information about him and I wouldn't mind seeing him in Brawl. I don't want to sound negative, but if I could only have one character licensed by Square-Enix it would have to be Geno. They're both appealing characters to me, but Geno would be even more unique and diverse. Oh, and I'm not sure if this was pointed out in this thread, but the composer that was listed as doing the music for Kingdom Hearts was also a part of Super Mario RPG.
They're both really good choices and if one is in and the other isn't I won't be upset or anything.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
There's hasn't been a real Kingdom Hearts game...
o_O

Yes there have.

What do you mean by "real Kingdom Hearts game"? They're all physically real, and they're all canon to the storyline.

... unlike Metal Gear. That's why Solid Snake is in.
I could've sworn some guy at Konami "practically begged" to have Snake in. :ohwell:

Sora would be an amazing character to have. I strongly doubt he'd be in due to, if nothing else, all the **** Sakurai and his team would have to go through to get him (talking to Square AND Disney to get the rights).

I will always support Sora for Brawl, but I'm keeping my hopes firmly planted in the ground.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Sora For Brawl!!!!!! I've always supported Sora ever since Brawl's Announcement, but reality speak's out that it would be too complicated for him to make it in, he's 3rd party, hasn't been on a Nintendo System (GBA) doesn't really make up for it, and not to mention Square?Disnew giving Sakurai the right to do so, and at this point in time it would delay the game from December 3, 2007 to who knows when since there would have to be alot of work done just for Sora to get in, but yeah, even thought it's almost impossible that he'll make it in, we can still dream of him making it in with his cool Keyblade

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Sora won´t make it into SSBB because, if Square-Enix is permitted to have a character in the game (highly unlikely in the first place), that character will come from Final Fantasy.

Because Final Fantasy is the flagship franchise of the company, the main reason why they are internationally acclaimed, and the foundation of their enterprise. The idea that they´ll forgo the opportunity of having Final Fantasy in SSBB for a Kingdom Hearts character is highly unrealistic. For that matter, the notion that Square-Enix will get someone into SSBB is highly unrealistic by itself.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Sora won´t make it into SSBB because, if Square-Enix is permitted to have a character in the game (highly unlikely in the first place), that character will come from Final Fantasy.

Because Final Fantasy is the flagship franchise of the company, the main reason why they are internationally acclaimed, and the foundation of their enterprise. The idea that they´ll forgo the opportunity of having Final Fantasy in SSBB for a Kingdom Hearts character is highly unrealistic. For that matter, the notion that Square-Enix will get someone into SSBB is highly unrealistic by itself.
Or you know, that Geno guy everyone is talking about >_>

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Geno´s not that likely. And he doesn´t really count, either, as Square-Enix doesn´t seem to mind Nintendo using him.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Or you know, that Geno guy everyone is talking about >_>
HISSSS!!!! dont ever mention that little geno b@stard while I'm around :mad:.

but seriously, even though geno actually has a *shudders* chance of being in brawl (as a first party character of course, I'll be darned if sakurai is dumb enough to waste a 3rd party slot to another mario character) due to his position on the poll, I seriously think he doesn't deserve it. he's an overall minor character in an already far too overepped franchise (more different franchises ftw)

but on the topic at hand, sora also has little chance at brawl, since, like kunitsuna said, if there is a square rep, it WILL be from final fantasy, no doubt.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd rather have Geno is Brawl from Square...

Anyway I hate when people use only the "Money" coperate ******* excuse...

Not everything in life is based off money you greedy *******s

A R K

Smash Rookie
I, myself, am a Kingdom Hearts fan and think that Sora would be an interesting addition to Brawl. However, there's practically no chance of him getting in.

One thing I don't get though is the constant Kingdom Hearts bashing. Sure Disney is aimed towards a younger audience, but is that really a justified reason? It's obvious that it isn't the best video game ever made, but it does have a good plot, some memorable characters, and a bit of nostalgia.

Although, if there could be only one Square character, I would pick either Geno or Black Mage.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
I wouldn't completely give Sora the thumbs-down.

Sakuri may have something under his sleeve.

I know I wasn't ever expecting the Pokemon Trainer to be in it.

I think it could be pulled off but maybe not so likely.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wouldn't completely give Sora the thumbs-down.

Sakuri may have something under his sleeve.

I know I wasn't ever expecting the Pokemon Trainer to be in it.

I think it could be pulled off but maybe not so likely.
Unless of course he likes another character from Square...

I dunno, maybe...Geno or something?

Hong

The Strongest
One thing I don't get though is the constant Kingdom Hearts bashing. Sure Disney is aimed towards a younger audience, but is that really a justified reason? It's obvious that it isn't the best video game ever made, but it does have a good plot, some memorable characters, and a bit of nostalgia.
I'm different on that subject. I just didn't enjoy Kingdom Heart's gameplay, so I don't like the series since good story can never fully compensate for gameplay. Though I think the story and the characters are wonderful and I feel it's unfair people shoot it down for having Disney characters. I blame my lack of enjoyment on myself and not the game. With that, I'd love Sora to be in Brawl, above many other character suggestions.

While I don't want to join the omgeno crowd, I can't help but agree. His character and abilities would stand out a lot more in Brawl than Sora.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I, myself, am a Kingdom Hearts fan and think that Sora would be an interesting addition to Brawl. However, there's practically no chance of him getting in.
That's my stance exactly.

Seeing as Kingdom Hearts isn't "A Link To The Past", it is obvious that Kingdom Hearts isn't the greatest game ever.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
The answer to all life's problems.

SamuraiPanda, I believe sora wouldn't fit in brawl not because he's lame or anything but because he doesn't seem to fit (the only reason Snake made it was because Kojima begged nintendo) and Sora is in a game shared with Disney, the Nazi corporation. To put him in another game would just be messy. i believe a FF character actually would have better chance to fit in brawl than Sora. which to me is sad because sora seems like he would fit in a game like this.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
You guys aren't serious? not all characters in the whole world would be on the game,ok 6 billion characters and 1 stage and 1 mode,fine?,ok Sora in brawl,no way he sucks! yeah HE WONT BE ON BRAWL BECAUSE HE ONLY APPEARED ON ONE GAME FOR THE GBA!!! he wont make it!

lumpey

Smash Rookie
ok before posting anything, i'd like to tell that im not a Sora fan, even though I'm a big square-enix fan.

Now has anyone heard of "It's a Wonderful World"? (IWW)
it's a new square-enix game on Nintendo DS.
This game has some interesting elements, showing that Sora definitely HAS a chance of being in brawl;
the most important element in this game is that, character design were made by Tetsuya Nomura, that we all know if we're Square-enix/FF/KH fans. the main character Neku has a weird resemblance with Sora. He is the char-designer for both KH and It's a Wonderful World.

Second Argument-In this game (IWW), there's a mini-game called "Marble Slash" (dunno if I wrote this correctly)...sure it doesnt mean anything in english but, if we write it in japanese, it becomes this: "マーブルスラッシュ" now wtf? alright, let me explain. In IWW, Marble Slash is often mentioned with an abbreviation: "Mabusura" in japanese its like this;
"マブスラ" (mabusura)<->"マーブルスラッシュ" this shows how its abbreviated.
Okay, now ima show how its linked to smash bros.
in Japan, we often (or always) call smash bros with an abbreviation: "sumabura"
written in japanese, it makes this:
"スマッシュブラザーズ" (smash bros)<->"スマブラ" (sumabura)
did you realize? indeed, "スマブラ" (sumabura) is the opposite of "マブスラ" (mabusura)
coincidence? COINCIDENCE? I don't think so. I think either square-enix is showing their wish to have one of their characters in smash bros, or they're simply showing us that one of their char WILL be in smash bros.
as for the minigame itself (Marble Slash), the goal is knocking the opponent out of the stage and make it fall. (oh, it reminds me smash bros ;)) by pushing the opponent, using hammer, shield or meteor. u can also "jump" back to the stage.
By the way, Marble Slash has a pretty important role in IWW; it's the most played game in Shibuya (I mean in the Shibuya of IWW.), there's a whole part about marble slash in that game, and the main char Neku even takes part in tournaments of marble slash (dont forget its "mabusura"). What I think is, mabusura has too much resemblance with smash bros...in terms of name, main system, it has tournaments, its a popular game...
the character designer Tetsuya Nomura even appears as an in-game player of marble slash lol? wasnt Tetsuya Nomura a fan of smash bros?

these clearly shows that square-enix is appealing to nintendo, especially for smash bros. so maybe sora has a chance of being in ssbb, if he's not already in.

OKAY finish!!! god that was long. well i hope u guys read this...AND WILL BELIEVE ME :mad:
why i know all this? because i bought IWW in japan and i understand japanese.

Hong

The Strongest
Wow. You're right. That's definately Ridley in the clouds.
Tingle confirmed.

Edit - Seriously. That's very possible. Kind of like how SEGA is developing and producing Mario & Sonic at the Olympics. Meaning they got the license from Nintendo to use their characters, meaning a deal was made. If Square-Enix got the license to use the scenario/qualities of a Nintendo game, that also means a deal was made. Geno anybody? :D

lumpey

Smash Rookie
btw by saying "square-enix appealing to nintendo", its not only for sora, but for any SE chars that has a link with nintendo. though sora has prolly more chance of being in ssbb then geno, because of the popularity, and i think tetsuya nomura (and maybe also the team programming IWW, wich is the team that created the FF and the KH series.) is/are behind all these appeals. tetsuya nomura=/=geno
just thoughts lol

Hong

The Strongest
btw by saying "square-enix appealing to nintendo", its not only for sora, but for any SE chars that has a link with nintendo. though sora has prolly more chance of being in ssbb then geno, because of the popularity, and i think tetsuya nomura (and maybe also the team programming IWW, wich is the team that created the FF and the KH series.) is/are behind all these appeals.
just thoughts though lol
Now, I'm not saying polls are the start and end of every character debate, but Geno got four times as many responses than Sora. It's probably because Geno is a third party charater yet he's from the Mario universe. Sora may be more popular, but definately not amongst Nintendo fans who haven't extended beyond their consoles. While I've had my time with Kingdom Hearts, I'd personally prefer Geno because he'd be more unique.

Also, the composer you see on the list who's listed as doing music for Kingdom Hearts, also did music for Super Mario RPG. My money is definately on Geno or Sora being in Brawl. Without a doubt.

lumpey

Smash Rookie
hmmm maybe yeah...
actually i havent played mario rpg a lot, just once, and at that time i couldnt read japanese lol
actually there are many chars from square-enix that can be in ssbb;. FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (GBA), tactics (GBA, NDS), chocobo series (GBA/NDS/wii) dragon quest series (gba/nds/wii) FF crystal chronicles (GC/wii)
and, Itadaki Street : on the NDS one, dragon quest chars and nintendo chars were together.
oh well, as playble chars we can only bet on sora or geno.
but maybe in assist trophies we can mayb hope for chocobo/slime?? ok off-topic

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
SamuraiPanda
Kingdom Hearts includes Final Fantasy characters, which are loved worldwide and ESPECIALLY in Japan. Famitsu took a poll and found out that, among the top 10 things that were announced at E3, the Final Fantasy announcements took all the top slots (Snake in Brawl being the only non-Sony announcement in the top 10 was somewhere around 5-6), and FFXII recently recieved a PERFECT score from Famitsu, something only 6 games have ever done before, and is definitely an achievement.
You're arguing that they'd use Sora because Final Fantasy is popular. Why wouldn't they just use a Final Fantasy character instead of Sora?

Yuna
My answer is two words: No.
That's only one word.

I don't think Sora has a chance just because if they add a Square character it'll be a Final Fantasy character. Sora getting in before a Final Fantasy character would be like Nights getting in before Sonic. It's not going to happen.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
ISure Disney is aimed towards a younger audience, but is that really a justified reason?
ROFL!

You haven't seen innuendo in a Disney movie then. lol

Anyway, the creator of Kingdom Hearts don't even like Nintendo. The ONLY reason Chain of Memories was on the GBA because Nintendo had the monopoly on the handheld industry at that time. And the exclusive Japanese CoM remake on the PS2 proves that.

The creator also said he would like presentation (i.e. fancy graphics) in his games. So good bye Kingdom Hearts on the Wii.

Besides, what did Square ever do for Nintendo that was mind blowing after Super Mario RPG? (I could say the same about Konami they never supported Nintendo all the way)

lumpey

Smash Rookie
Anyway, the creator of Kingdom Hearts don't even like Nintendo.
...did you even bother reading what i wrote? but anyway;
director and char-designer of kingdom hearts: Tetsuya Nomura. If he doesnt like nintendo, i wonder why he accepted to be the graphic supervisor for mario hoops 3 on 3...ok thats a nintendo char based game developped by square-enix (like mario rpg) but, if nomura didnt like nintendo, (wich means he doesnt like smash bros) he wouldnt put such thing as mabusura in It's a Wonderful World. Believe me, Nomura is far from hating nintendo. As for the remix thing, its because CoM was fairly played on the gba compared to KH and KH2.

Besides, what did Square ever do for Nintendo that was mind blowing after Super Mario RPG?
sigh come on its 3 posts above
FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (GBA), tactics (GBA, NDS), chocobo series (GBA/NDS/wii) dragon quest series (gba/nds/wii) FF crystal chronicles (GC/wii) and, Itadaki Street : on the NDS one, dragon quest chars and nintendo chars were together.
not really mind blowing, but still.
ima add mario hoops 3 on 3, nintendo game programmed by square-enix.
now maybe these games didnt have as much impact in europe/usa as in japan, i dunno. some of em didnt even went out of japan maybe..

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
No No and No.

The role of spiky blond haired, blue eyed, anime-esqu teen us way overused. Brawl doesn't need a character looking that generic.

lumpey

Smash Rookie
And none of those games have Sora in them.
HOLY CR*******P!! its true!
no i just wanted to show this connection between square-enix and nintendo.
as for reasons for sora/SE chars in brawl, i gave some, i highlighted the fact that Tetsuya Nomura (and square-enix) is appealing...oh god im tired plz read previous posts.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how many times it's been mentioned before, but I highly highly highly doubt Sora would apppear before Cloud, Squall, or hell, even a Moogle.

Square would have someone from Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy way before Sora, I mean can you really imagine of the roster they have, especially now that Enix has merged with them, they would chose Sora of all people to represent them? Just doesn't make sense. That and the fact that they're already making a fighting game similar to Smash that includes characters from multiple final fantasies. Why would they bother putting in Sora, hell, ANYONE from their stuff in Smash?

Sora was made to represent both Square and Disney, that was their little deal, to include him you would include Disney a bit too. and while Pit may resemble Sora, if you've never seen anything from Japan before, Sora honestly isn't the most unique design. What makes him unique is his Disney-ish features and a **** keyblade.(the Mickey Mouse head is the keychain to his keyblade for crying out loud)

I don't know who totally owns the rights to the character design completely, but considering how in-depth the trophies are in Melee, there's no way they can not mention Disney. and seeing as they're not known for videogames and that's taking away even more attention from Nintendo franchises, hell, videogames in general, not to mention the amount of money that would cost them, yeah...

So I'm not going to say that he won't be in it, simply because I'm not making the game, I'm simply saying that while the arguments for his inclusion are all well and fine, and make perfect sense, I personally think that anyone expecting him in the game is going to be disappointed. But who knows, we'll see on December 3rd.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Just wondering, I'm not that much of a fan of Kingdom Hearts, with the exception of that one time where Squall and Cloud make a guest appearance. Other than that, has Sora been on a Nintendo system?

Hong

The Strongest
Just wondering, I'm not that much of a fan of Kingdom Hearts, with the exception of that one time where Squall and Cloud make a guest appearance. Other than that, has Sora been on a Nintendo system?
There is a Kingdom Hearts GBA title. I don't know much about the series. I couldn't enjoy the two console titles so I didn't bother with the GBA one.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
There is a Kingdom Hearts GBA title. I don't know much about the series. I couldn't enjoy the two console titles so I didn't bother with the GBA one.
Thanx for clearing that up. I do remember that title now. It was called Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. I guess the game title was in my cerebellum lying dorminant because it wasn't at all that of an appealing game.

Well, with this being said, then perhaps Sora does have a chance to be on Brawl's fighting roster. It's only a slim one though. There just too many other more popular 3rd party characters out there that deserve the shot more.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I want to subscribe to this thread because I'd be really happy if Sora did make an appearance in Brawl. Although it's not likely, there's always a chance.

lumpey

Smash Rookie
I don't know how many times it's been mentioned before, but I highly highly highly doubt Sora would apppear before Cloud, Squall, or hell, even a Moogle.

Square would have someone from Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy way before Sora,
agreed. EDIT: but for the ff series, chars in generations above ff6 dont have any chance.

Just doesn't make sense. That and the fact that they're already making a fighting game similar to Smash that includes characters from multiple final fantasies.
ooooooh!!! really? *interested...* is that true? where'd u get that info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom