• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soul Calibur 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
Did anyone in Atlantic South pick this up? I've been playing a lot lately and need some locals to play. Online for people within a few hundred miles has been pretty flawless for me. If you want to play, add me on Xbox Live: TheCulinary.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
Its pretty good, I've played it with my cousins for a looong time. They made the female characters extremely good in this game! Think their names were Taki, Cassandra, and Sophie, watch out for those girls if someone uses them on you especially if they know how to use them.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i have it, and have been playing with one of my friends 'round here who is big in soul cal.

Went up to ATL and played with some of them last week.

Online good? (falls out laughin), i've played it at my friends house, but the general consensus about it is that it blows terribly. Kilik BB spam is a legit strat because you cant block on reaction. That's just comical.

As for mains, im Talim/Cass right now (again. :( ). Probably gunna throw asta back in as a 2ndary (again :( ).

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the females are the hallmark of the game. I play Rock.

I don't know. When playing online with a friend or Orlando, I was pulling off red GI's and parrys consistently. Ranked matches I've had trouble with, but player matches are just fine even with 4 people, at least if you are in the same town.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
never been a fan of the SC series. I like the characters, but the gameplay always felt so button-mashy/clunky to me, so i doubt ill buy it.

on a related note, the chick with the umbrella sword/mary poppins? clearly the best character in the game

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
Actually, she's probably one of the best :laugh:. This is the first Soul Calibur I've gotten into. The mechanics work out like rock paper scissors. It seems very masher friendly at the beginning, I used to get frustrated but once you understand how the game works, mashers are easy.

Ivy has a pretty good infinite, hopefully it'll be patched. Her character as a whole is still really good.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
Bleh, I use Astaroth Raphael and Sieg. Too bad I don't have 4 yet. ;_;

So that ivy infinite works on everybody and not just certain characters?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
How's Ivy? Is she still sick/top tier?

I hear her **** are a separate character.
she probably is top tier now, she never was as far as i know (she was always mid, maybe low high).

She's got a steep learning curve now because she has 4 state, but unlike previous games where you revert back to sword on knockdown, you stay in your current state. Commands obviously change from state to state, but the big thing is manually switching states is like stance changes in Mortal Kombat (the 3d ones).

You start out in coiled loop (whip where she's holding it coiled, low). From there, you can press b+k go to whip, or a+k to go sword. From whip, you press a+k to go back to coiled loop. From sword, you press b+k to go back to coiled loop, a+k to go to serpents embrace (where she has the whip wrapped around her body). From serpents embrace, you simply block to go back to sword (cause well, you kinda cant block like that.)

She has some commands in whip that let her go straight to sword and serpent embrace, and vice versa, it's just the learning of it.

But learning ivy is extremely rewarding. She has an infinite (that will probably get banned or patched). But she has a 50% health bnb that punishes ducks, sloppy wakeup games, and etc.

And then her okizeme game is just ********. Her whip 6A+B tracks like a mother****er. Ivy didnt get the memo that tracking got nerfed. If you catch somebody in a corner, you're guarenteed atleast 3 hits with it, more if they want to try to roll the wrong way.

She crushes guard like nobody's business. ****, lemme turn the game on so i can tell you the right moves. Sword 3B and Sword 66B arent exactly top tier guard crush moves, but they're so safe if spaced properly.

Good number of lows with knockdown. Not all safe, but they're still there.

Ivy is frickin good, dont worry.

*edit*
yes, the ivy infinite works on everybody, you just have to launch them with WS B. G to turn around, WS B. Rinse, repeat. Unlike any other infinite in the world, this one gets easier the longer you do it cause they keep going higher and higher.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
Your opinion is right, so is the rest of ours.

Did Raphael get any boost in 4 or did he get hit as hard as he did in 3?

Pengie

Smash Lord
I really want to get this game. I played SC2 and just loved the series. How does Cervantes stack up against other characters?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Your opinion is right, so is the rest of ours.

Did Raphael get any boost in 4 or did he get hit as hard as he did in 3?
um, i honestly dunno cause i've never seen a good raph in 3, but i heard he got nerfed from 2,3.

I've seen a good raph now, but i still dont have anything to really base this off of.

I know 6BB has a different animation, dont know how much that actually means (i say that because mistu's 2KB has a different animation, and people are pissed over that).

Raph now has a teleport which is inlarge useless. You can teleport in front of or behind your opponent from anywhere, but you're in a pose breifly as you come out of it, so you cant do anything instantly. It's nice to get in through somebody's zone, though.

Um... *thinks*. I honestly cant tell you anything about raph, except for if you want to play raph, you might want to just go play Amy. (She's an actual playable character, now).

__

Cervantes always has been and probably always will be 'pretty good'.

That man has some some awesome safe pokes, good zoning moves (BB omg.) and has some awesome mixups.

Cervantes also has a teleport that comes out of his stance (i forget what it's called, its his 214 stance). I dont know where all it moves to, i know it goes back. Unlike raph's p.o.s., you can do some things out of the teleport instantly.

Cervantes also has a hilarious bnb combo involving 2 or 3 gunshots to juggle, followed by 1 or 2 psycho crushers. Speaking of psycho crusher, he now has the M.Bison slide. XD

Yeah, Cerv is still the king of the sea.

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
I don't know much around Raphael, don't have much experience with him or against him. Cervantes seems to have some good verticals, I've gotten beaten by mashing Cervy's, but that was my fault moreso than the characters. I don't him that well either.

Hey Doggy, we should at least try some online, it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
I play with icekid... he mains Amy and I'm trying for Kilik. He ***** me : (

So far his only combos I know are 66B 6AAA and 3B 6AAA on counterhit. Although, I only played one night : /.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
*yes, i keep walking by and hitting F5 on this tab, XD*

Amy is apparently the new X in 4. A bunch of quick, fast, deceptive moves that are ridiculously safe.

But kilik's not bad by any stretch of the imagination. That man is pretty ridiculous at zoning. Buncha nice longrange safe pokes, quick punishes, and alot of his attacks space out so much on block.

Sh0ckwave

Smash Journeyman
she probably is top tier now, she never was as far as i know (she was always mid, maybe low high).

hmm.. i thought she and cervantes were always considered top with the occasional sophitia (in sc3) and xianghua (sc2) top or high. but im not nearly learned about sc as i am about ssbm.

thanks for the info ill be maining her again whenever i can get my hands on 4.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Originally posted by Linkrkc
I don't think we ever came to a community wide consensus, but active tournament players would agree with most of this for the U.S. version:

S:
Xianghua, Sophitia

A:
Cassandra, Mitsurugi, Taki, Setsuka, Astaroth, Cervantes, Kilik

B:
Ivy, Zasalamel, Maxi, Voldo, Lizardman, Mina,

C:
Yunsung, Raphael, Siegfried, Nightmare, Yoshi, Tira, Abyss

Z (:p):
Rock, Talim

Keep in mind that the U.S. has almost no players of B and C tier characters, so those are a little more murky. The top and bottom you asked for are pretty much solid, though. Hope this helps. :)

From the SC3 forums on Calibur forums, i cant find a SC2 tier list. Im actually going to look for that right now

*edit*
well, i cant find a sc2 tier list, but from what i've been seeing ivy and cerv WERE top in 2. XD I could stand to be corrected i guess

Icekid

Smash Apprentice
SC2 was Mick tier. AKA God of the US at SC2. Pretty much in the end of SC2. It went... X/Sophie/Cass winning every single major tournament. But tier list wise. X/Sophie were top. Followed by a **** load of high tier and upper mids such as... Cassy/nightmare/Ivy/Cervy/Asty/Voldo/Yoshi/Mitsu. I will beast anyone in SC4. Plain and simple.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
ya know, i wont comment on anybody's skills, i cant talk myself.

However, you seem like you have some knowledge.

*points up* why dont you fill in some gaps for some people, please?

SynikaL

Smash Lord
I play Calibur 4. Been a part of the community for many years. I don't play online though, since it's terrible on both versions.

Calibur 4 is definitely better than the trash 3 was, but not by a whole lot. The game's balance seems tighter, but only because Nammy stripped away a ton of moves and mechanics that made the Calibur series fun.

I main Cervy, if anyone has any questions regarding him.

-Kimo

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
It's the extremely broken techs that then removed from 3 to 4 that make it a good game.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i wonder if i should give this game a chance

i keep hearing that once you get deeper in the game button mashers are no problem. but its weird to even deal with them. I never had to deal with a button masher problem in smash...just gay tactics

i havnt seen it, but im sure SC4 online is at least playable, unlike alot of online brawl matches

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
i wonder if i should give this game a chance

i keep hearing that once you get deeper in the game button mashers are no problem. but its weird to even deal with them. I never had to deal with a button masher problem in smash...just gay tactics

i havnt seen it, but im sure SC4 online is at least playable, unlike alot of online brawl matches
If you don't like losing to button mashers then dont play online. People will just spam stuff you cant react to online all day.

ITS THE SAME AS BRAWL JUST DEPENDS ON HOW FAR YOU ARE.

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure where the impression comes from that the online is crap, maybe just bad luck? Admittedly, I found it hard to believe. Tekken DR was pretty unplayable most of the time, but it looks like Namco worked some kind of magic.

When both people have 5 bars, it's virtually flawless. Me and my friend were consistently doing GI's and JF's when we play online. If your basing your opinion off of forums, I would say go try it for yourself and play with me =D. Even with 4 bars, there may be a spike or 2 within 20 games. 3 or less is pretty much unplayable. The input lags as much as a second or 2. If you and your opponent have a good connection, you should be fine. That's what my experience has told me.

I hope the SC scene comes back here in SFL. I know Will used to hold alot of SC tournys. The games still fun, I need to get better at it though.

And I wouldn't compare Brawl online to this. Playing brawl online with anybody, even in the same city for me, there's around a half second input lag, in this there is virtually zero.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I tell you what, i heard this is the worst of all the Soul Cals, its kind like brawl. LOL

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
I tell you what, i heard this is the worst of all the Soul Cals, its kind like brawl. LOL
Thats just wrong. Opinion or not, SC3 was horribly flawed.

Will will of course be hosting SC4 tournies once he starts back up again in oct/nov.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
Sc3 wasn't even played competitivly(well not hardcore competitivly or like SC2.

SC4 is actually decent.

edit: If will hosts another one of his tournies and SC4 is there, I'll start playing again.

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
It wasn't played competitively(like SC2) because it had game breaking glitches that were never fixed.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
'roth, i fuxxed with him some.

He's still fairly good. He can grab people from anywhere, standing, crouching, otg, in the air. The only place he cant grab is the one thing NOBODY can grab, and that's a ****ing yoda. XD

Most important, BULLRUSH DOES NOT TRACK. That **** get hit with a ****ing nerf stick. Now, dont get me wrong, it's still amazing, and you can lock somebody in a corner with it ( XD ), but it DOES NOT TRACK. :(

He's pretty beastly at defending his space, and has some nice moves to keep people out of his space (actually, he can 214AAAAA and move away from people, on top of that).

Sophie i cant really talk about cause i havent really played her ... well, since soul edge. XD. I know she has some kick of justice (11_77K i think) that gives you a beastly advantage on block. I think im actually correct in saying she still has that, but again i wouldnt know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom