• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soulcalibur Retrospect

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1709]Soulcalibur Retrospect[/drupal]

I enjoy fighting games. If I didn't I wouldn't be a member of Smash World Forums. One series that I've always liked in particular is the externally misspelled Soulcalibur series. I decided to type up this retrospect on the series because I was bored.

The first game, Soul Blade, was on the Playstation. I'd tell you my thoughts on it but I never played the game. And if I were to find a copy the price would probably be my left arm.

Okay, so Soulcalibur, the first "real" game in the series, and I actually played this one. But my memory is a bit blurry because of how long it's been since I last played it. And seeing how my friend with the both the game and a Dream Cast doesn't live here anymore I really can't go back and play it. But from what I remember Soulcalibur was a load of fun, had a subtle underline of self-parody and was it was semi-cartoony.

Soul Calibur II was my favorite game in the series. A handful of new characters were added in this installment, along with some new game play modes. And it still had that awesome underline of self parody that I love about the series, and everything still feels slightly on the cartoony side. My only real problems with the game were that in most of the modes when you paused you didn't actually pause the game, you just brought up a menu asking if you wanted to quit the game or not, while the game is still going on in the back ground. A number of weapons and costumes in the shop were really over priced and some of the characters were a bit on the cheap side.

For some reason, Soul Calibur III is hated by most people, I don't see why but it is. In fact, Soul Calibur III was the best game in the series. The roster was greatly expanded, a whole number of game play modes and additional challenges were added and I remember the first time I played this game, as Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw once said, "it deliriously humps your eyeballs and ejaculates spurts of wonder across your slack-jawed face. By that I mean it looks nice." Yes, Soulcalibur III had some of the best graphics that I've ever seen on the Playstation 2, the stages, characters, everything all looked great. And the stages were also interesting with a wide verity of options for places that can beat the stuffing out of your buddies on. Although I hate how level of sex appeal in the game jumped from "some, but not too much" to "a lot, but still not over-the-top." And the custom characters, while they may be fun to play as and such, make all of the other characters in the game somewhat null and void. Why would you want to play as one of the pre-made characters when you can play as one you made yourself? But regardless, Soulcalibur III was the best in the series.

And finally, we come to Soulcalibur IV. Here's where the series ended for me. During development they decided that the game needed to be more serious and pretty much all of the self parody found in the previous games in gone. Now the sex appeal has gone up to the point where it's more persistent than even the Dead or Alive games, and not to mention that at this point the story (which is more forced on you now than it's ever been) is so overly complex that you need a freaking flow chart to understand it all (which the game provides, by the way). The number of modes and game play options have all been cut down from Soul Calibur III, and although the game looks great, this still can't replace the cartoony feel from the previous games.

There comes a time when a series must end, and here it should have been around the time that Soulcalibur IV was in development. As far as I'm concerned, the Soul Calibur series is over. And if Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny or any other future titles convinces me otherwise, I will eat my own shoes.

Scott!

Smash Lord
But you forgot Soul Calibur Legends!!!11! Actually, I kinda wish I could forget it. It's just so bad. The only good point is the inexplicable and completely random guest appearance of Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia. Why he's there, I have no idea, but he makes it almost tolerable.

I think the problem with SC III was that its gameplay ended up being too broken for serious competitive play in some way. I don't know the details, and I'm not even sure of that much, but that's what I've heard. II was probably the best, though I do like IV now that I'm used to it. Still get screwed over by some aspects, like the absurd tracking on sidesteps and such. But Kilik is just so much better in IV, and he's my favorite. Sophitia, my 2nd, is great in both. When I last had access to a 360, I was learning Amy, who was also a ton of fun.

I'd take 2 over 3 pretty much any day, just for Astaroth dittoes on the ice stage, A+B only. There's a lot of fun to be had there.

vbdood1337

Smash Apprentice
Kilik was always my favorite as well. He was the only character I could actually win with, I guess because I actually kinda spaced with him and punished more than just blindly running in :D. Maxi was also pretty cool and Mitsurugi was a free win against nubs (soooo much fun to play). I wish I'd actually learned to not suck at these games, they were so much fun.

And all your blogs are fantastic finalark.

finalark

SNORLAX
Thanks.

I never really liked Kilik, too.... cheap(?) for me.

My friends and I actually have a nick-name for Maxi, "Continuously looping combo man."

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Man, i have the first soul calibour for dreamcast and it owns. Best game of all time is Soulcalibour for dreamcast.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Oh, also, Brawl taught me and my friend how to space properly in SC as well. It made us a lot better. It also taught him to camp with Seung Mina, and that's just about the most annoying thing to approach through.

Dy17

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm. Im a siegfried man. Soulblade. Was the game that provides the basis of Soul Calibur. I used to have it. The characters consisted of Mitsurugi, Taki, Li Long, Hwang, Rock, Voldo, Cervantes, Sophitia, Seung Mina, and Siegfried. The funniest part of the game is after you beat it with Mitsurugi he fights a guy that uses a rifle and instantly gets a KO.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Rofl. SC III was badddddd. Like, really bad. It looked and played like a rush game. I think it was the first SC where they ripped music from the last game and just stuck it in the next game.

Some of the voice acting was...questionable. I didn't play the game much but there was supposedly some kind of broken glitch that made playing it competetively worthless.

SC II was probably my favorite. The guest characters were fun, a lot of the characters were fun to play, I loved the outfits they had for the characters, and Talim was actually good.

ZettaKuma

Smash Cadet
I still have the orignal Soulcalibur. But comparied to SC2 it isn't as fun.
SC3 I have mixed feelings about this, I really didn't like the RTS mode you needed to play to unlock stuff, but hey it brought in character customazation!
SC4, I dunno I don't have an Xbox 360 or a Playstation 3. :(

But the worst one of the all....
Soulcalibur Legends *gasp*. It...it...it's horrible! There's only around 5 characters to play with, and the gameplay is way to easy (maybe broken...?). All you have to do is swing the Wiimote like an idiot to win. That and it is the most repetive thing you will EVER see.

My favorite character is Kilik (did I spell it write?). Nothing beats smashing your enemies in the face with a rod. :)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There's one reason I love SCIII about the rest, and one reason alone:

You can create a dancing Jesus.

finalark

SNORLAX
Rofl. SC IV was badddddd. Like, really bad. It looked and played like a rush game. I think it was the first SC where they ripped music from the last game and just stuck it in the next game.

Some of the voice acting was...questionable. I didn't play the game much but there was supposedly some kind of broken glitch that made playing it competetively worthless.

Fixed.

And Soul Calibur voice acting has always been terrible, it's practically a staple in the series.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
SC2 is definitely my fav...although it might also be because that's the one I play the most. :laugh: My favorite from all the games is actually Xianghua. <3 using her.

Very nice blog finalark, as always. :)

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I have only ever played one Soul Calibur game, and that was the 3rd.

I only played it one night though, so I knew none of the moves, nor of the characters. I tried to make a custom character, but I couldn't get creative.
So I clicked random custom character.

That was a great feature, but when you end up with a man in a really, really short skirt with that dancing style it makes you question what type of game you are actually playing.

From what I remember the game was fairly fun, probably more so than Tekken (although Tekken Bowling was the best thing in the series), but it seemed slowish, and I prefer stuff like Guilty Gear. However, it did remind me of Battle Arena Toshinden 3 for some reason XD.

Top Bottom