• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

South Dakota: Tourny/Meet-up Thread

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Omaha is closer for future reference, I'll let you know about the tournament in MAY.

Also M2K might be interested to know you have moved to the area, as he's gonna be in the MW just before EVO.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
While that's true Rob, don't rob SD of its players! Lol.

I'll make the thread and pm you my cell number tonight. Free housing at my place, stay as long as you want over the weekend (if you are gonna drive a few hrs, its the least I can do)

We don't have a copy of PM, so we basically really only play melee these days. If you bring PM, we'll get down though

Edit: our locals are both Melee and Brawl Singles/Dbls. We practice melee, and still play brawl*

2nd Edit: That event link: http://smashboards.com/threads/your...-27th-2013-box-elder-sd.335935/#post-15470892

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Dbl post due to inactivity*

Dopey: are you going to rob's ecent July 6th? Pretty much ND/SD are. You should get in on that...

Lastly, we got a new guy coming soon frombmid state, and a random that LEGEND tapped over and over who wants to start training up with us. Improvements gaiz...

Dopey

Smash Lord
yo jmann whats robs decent? whos all goin from where? cause im only gonna be in SD till mid junish i think...then back to michigan for a week...then off to another state...then gettin ready for EVO in july...im pretty immobile from sioux falls right now cause i work 7 days a week, but if u guys are planning any fests or anything jus lemme kno so i can plan somethin out!

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
How is this place dead?
Come on! Is SD so dead, that nobody replies at all?(Yes I know it was barely a week ago but still!)
I don't want SD to become a place like TN, and on a side note, who all is in SD anyway? Like, what are your mains and stuffz...I'll go first
My Tag is Royal, I main Roy and secondary Mewtwo in melee, Lucas and Olimar (secondary) in brawl, and I main Sheik and dual secondary Peach and Snake in P:M

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
How is this place dead?
Come on! Is SD so dead, that nobody replies at all?(Yes I know it was barely a week ago but still!)
I don't want SD to become a place like TN, and on a side note, who all is in SD anyway? Like, what are your mains and stuffz...I'll go first
My Tag is Royal, I main Roy and secondary Mewtwo in melee, Lucas and Olimar (secondary) in brawl, and I main Sheik and dual secondary Peach and Snake in P:M
Roy and Mewtwo? I take it you use MewTwo for Roys bad matchups.

Wartusk

Smash Rookie
Brawl:
Mains: Yoshi, Wolf
Alts: ZSS, Olimar, Lucas

I'm in Rapid City, SD for atleast the rest of the year.
Not sure where work will take me after that :p

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Life johns. I havent been on the boards in a good while.

Prepping for evo. Haven't even hosted monthlies due to scheduling conflicts. Monthlies resume either last saturday of July or just August.

I main Falcon in melee and Sonic in brawl. We got recording equipment on Jun 21st. Here is a match between Selodin and I...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUW_AQvSZNM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Khalamity

Smash Rookie
You still around JMan? Your profile has you in Japan.......

Any scene still in Rapid?

The last post in this thread was a year ago...... New thread for the west side of SD anywhere? I couldn't find one.

Last edited:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Where in South Dakota are you?

There's people in Huron who play and come to Omaha. Check the SOuth Dakota smash facebook page

Khalamity

Smash Rookie
Spearfish, SD. It's about 50 minutes out of Rapid City and on the border between Wyoming and South Dakota. Rapid City is the "large" town around us so I was wondering if there was anything there. I don't mind traveling anywhere under 3-4 hours but I would rather not have to travel to Denver to play. (Denver is about 6 hours away)

I think I joined the right facebook group, not positive though.

Last edited:

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
Anybody playing in Sioux Falls? Myself and two of my friends play roughly once a week, and we'd welcome more players!

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
L9L you should check out Omaha, NE and Minneapolis, MN for big tournaments and gatherings.

There are people that play in Huron weekly, but that's a longer drive than to Omaha, iirc.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Spearfish, SD. It's about 50 minutes out of Rapid City and on the border between Wyoming and South Dakota. Rapid City is the "large" town around us so I was wondering if there was anything there. I don't mind traveling anywhere under 3-4 hours but I would rather not have to travel to Denver to play. (Denver is about 6 hours away)

I think I joined the right facebook group, not positive though.
No fudging way I am in Spearfish South Dakota too. Do you play Melee and/or Project M? and if so do you use advanced techniques like L-canceling, wavedashing, etc. etc?
Because heck I don't know anyone good to play against here.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Is anyone near Flandreau? I'll be available like tomorrow and early part of Friday. I won't be able to travel too far though. Is there a more active FB group?
You're near Sioux Falls, Yankton and most importantly, Huron, they have a scene of people there you should play, they wanna get better, like 8 of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 of them have been to NE tournaments, they are worth your time imo.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I just want to get more practice in before the big house lol. I travel a lot during the summer so I'm trying to hit up smashers. Unfortunately smashers don't seem to be around where I travel to. Sioux Falls is the closest at an hour away. I'll be in a hotel with a CRT and wii. People would probably have to come to me because I doubt my dad will be willing to drive an hr to play people for a bit and then drive back :x

Dekuscrub

Smash Cadet
Hey! I am part of the huron group! I regularly take people down to robs and would easily travel to like Sioux Falls to play! We are high schoolers so it's hard to get to too many places! I am gonna be in Madison and hope to start dsu weeklies! If anyone wants to play in Sioux Falls, my mom lives there so we would be down!

Mywhy

Smash Cadet
Huron is so far from Omaha!!! I live in Sioux City, IA which is relatively close to both...I suppose, but there is no scene here in my town. I believe I'm probably the only competitive player here, but I think I could convert at least a few people to the scene. We've played casually for years and years before I started competitive maybe a year ago.

@ Dekuscrub Dekuscrub does Sufu ever host any tournies? That'd be an optimal drive time for me.
@ L9L L9L I would definitely want to try to play if you got something going.

Last edited:

Khalamity

Smash Rookie
No fudging way I am in Spearfish South Dakota too. Do you play Melee and/or Project M? and if so do you use advanced techniques like L-canceling, wavedashing, etc. etc?
Because heck I don't know anyone good to play against here.
Hell yeah Rome! Small world. We should meet up for some smash.

To answer your questions, I plan to get competitive in Melee/Project M. I know about all of these Techniques but I haven't nailed a couple of em down. I've played other games on a competitive level and pick up things very easily. I am in no way good at the game right now but I plan to start entering tourney's next year. In other words, you would destroy me for a couple weeks or so and then I should offer up some challenge.

I have been getting things set up recently since all my old smash stuff is in Wisconsin at the moment. Buying a controller right now and have the netplay jazz all set up for melee. No GameCube or CRT in SD though. I have a Wii with Project M on it but it's a horrible horrible Wii. (No gamecube controller ports). However, I have another Wii with controller ports in Wisconsin that might find it's way out here in a couple weeks. :/

You here for School/are you sticking around Spearfish for awhile?

Do you have any set ups for Melee/Project M?

Last edited:

Khalamity

Smash Rookie
I'm still around in rapid city, mainly playing netplay. I would be down to play IRL if anyone is close but probably on weekends.
I live in Spearfish, about an hour away, and I'm always down for some Smash. The more people I play the better I will get. Let me know what you are thinking. Best weekend day for me would probably be Sunday.

Last edited:

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Hell yeah Rome! Small world. We should meet up for some smash.

To answer your questions, I plan to get competitive in Melee/Project M. I know about all of these Techniques but I haven't nailed a couple of em down. I've played other games on a competitive level and pick up things very easily. I am in no way good at the game right now but I plan to start entering tourney's next year. In other words, you would destroy me for a couple weeks or so and then I should offer up some challenge.

I have been getting things set up recently since all my old smash stuff is in Wisconsin at the moment. Buying a controller right now and have the netplay jazz all set up for melee. No GameCube or CRT in SD though. I have a Wii with Project M on it but it's a horrible horrible Wii. (No gamecube controller ports). However, I have another Wii with controller ports in Wisconsin that might find it's way out here in a couple weeks. :/

You here for School/are you sticking around Spearfish for awhile?

Do you have any set ups for Melee/Project M?
I don't foresee myself leaving Spearfish for a long time I really like it here and. I am not going to school.

I let some buddys borrow my Melee discs and gamecube in order to try and get them to play lol. But I have a good Wii with Gamecube ports and plenty GameCube controllers. I also have Project M which I have set up on my Wii. I am currently better at Project M than Melee right now because of that fact. I am super rusty on Melee but I am for sure down to play it. I could help teach you some advanced techniques. I know how to do them all even all that Fox and Falco Jazz but I hardly ever play those characters. We should figure something out man. I always have weekends off.

Khalamity

Smash Rookie
I don't foresee myself leaving Spearfish for a long time I really like it here and. I am not going to school.

I let some buddys borrow my Melee discs and gamecube in order to try and get them to play lol. But I have a good Wii with Gamecube ports and plenty GameCube controllers. I also have Project M which I have set up on my Wii. I am currently better at Project M than Melee right now because of that fact. I am super rusty on Melee but I am for sure down to play it. I could help teach you some advanced techniques. I know how to do them all even all that Fox and Falco Jazz but I hardly ever play those characters. We should figure something out man. I always have weekends off.
Done deal, I would appreciate someone showing me the ropes. I work overnights Thurs/Fri/Sat. So Sundays might work best then? Are you a part of the SD facebook group?

Last edited:

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
@ MegaRobMan MegaRobMan I'm actually going to a tourney in the cities over Labor Day weekend, so way ahead of you, ha ha.

@ Mywhy Mywhy Hit me up on here if you're ever craving some Smash! We play about once a week.

Top Bottom