• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
toasty.........
i cry for you.

but i mean, if i did make it to CH3, and miraculously won, it'd still cost more to get there than to get the prize money =/

whodat

Smash Apprentice
I'd go to that tourney, but I really never could stand melee. Even when I was decent at the game it irked me to no end.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
but i mean, if i did make it to CH3, and miraculously won, it'd still cost more to get there than to get the prize money =/
DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH MONEY YOU WILL MAKE?!?!?! omg...CH3 is paying out the *** to the winners!!! For teams and singles, there is a $3000 guaranteed total pot! For Critical Hit 4 [TBA] there is a guaranteed (by the venue) pot of SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS total!!!!

just FYI:

Payouts
All prize money is guaranteed by Gaame Playe. 5th placers in the bracket must play it out for 5th and 6th.

Teams
1st - $950
2nd - $450
3rd - $200
4th - $100
5th - $50
6th - $0

Singles
1st - $600
2nd - $300
3rd - $180
4th - $80
5th - $50
6th - $40

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
by this do you mean the thing on the 29th?

i think he has a thread for it up some place.
im pretty sure the next time ill get a chance to play you again will be a Otakon.

as usual ^.^;
yes i'll see you at Otakon then :p

kornnnnnnnnnnnnnn will you be at CH3?!?!?! I'm no Nackers...which means I won't **** up and lose to YOU lmao

<3 you buddy...we gotta play Melee again! Pika vs. Falcon was tooo good ^_^
:D miss you too! lolz
i'll be at CH3 D: ...im ok in brawl and i miss melee so bad

toasty

Smash Hero
Okay. This needs to be discussed at length before I, or Otis?, plan another tourney at Hi Score.

I can't have any ambiguities potentially affecting tournament results. It could mean the difference between $150 and $0...

Let's come up with an official SoVa legal counterpick list. The powers that be on Smashboards haven't reached a consensus, it seems...so until then, we need to come up with ONE list that a good deal of the sound minds in this thread agree upon. After that, there will be no shenanigans. If some other host has a different set of stages for their tournament, they should have a printed list or at least have it noted in a thread for the tournament...preferably a printed list for reference AT the tournament.

I don't want to be faced with decisions as a host for people to have to play a match again because they thought some stage was bull****. Regardless of an unclear legal list, if that ever happens and there isn't a clear list by then either, DON'T PLAY THE MATCH until you talk to the tourney host. Don't ***** about it after the fact.

-Lylat Cruise
-Halberd
-Frigate Orpheon
-Pokestadium 1
-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Seige
-Rainbow Cruise
-Jungle Japes
-Green Greens

Debatable [only because some tourneys are allowing them and some aren't]:
- Luigi's Mansion
- Onett (really?!)
- Skyworld (again...@_@)
- Electroplankton
- Pictochat

I vote that of those debatable ones, Luigi's Mansion should be fine [and generally is]

If I forgot any stages, let me know...

note: I did NOT forget Corneria.

J TYME!!

Smash Journeyman
I want to hold a decent gathering at my place on Friday! Is anyone interested in coming to Richmond? Let me know and I will host!

Jinmaster.

J TYME!!

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly looking for a at least 1 sova crew to come up, and play against the Richmond crew. We have about 5-7 decent players, and if 4 sova players came up, that would be tight.

I would love to see something like, Toasty, Whodat,korn, shaeman, and even Nava too, etc

Let me know if you are interested.

Jinmaster.

IrArby

Smash Ace
I may come to Sunday if even to just to get double eliminated again. Serpent has a way of being nice while at the same time making me nervous and ****ing up. Besides I get paid on Monday so that'll help make the expensive loss of gas/severe losing, sting a little less. Its all worth it as long as I get some good friendlies in.

But yeah toasty good **** with Fox. This guy squanders 2stocks in the first game and still comes back to win the set. My Fox doesn't have much experience yet but we should ditto sometime. Shouts to Whodat (even if you still don't like Melee), Serpent, and whoever else I friendlied. Good stuff all around. Its a lot fun playing you guys since I usually just play one other Marth and a Link.

I've tried to contact Schoolie to play but hes sort of avoiding my calls (or so it seems). Competitive Melee is still new to me, just check my join date, so I'll just stay with that for the moment.

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
cz im really cool and toasty can never spark serious discussion -

the two on the debatable list that DEFINITELY should be banned are skyworld and electroplankton. if anyone says different...just play them >_> its impossible to actually score non-stage kills on skyworld and way too easy to camp on hanenbow

i still hate luigi's mansion and pictochat but it's true that they're debatable. i would vote onett to be banned since it changes the structure of the match so much and because its still easy to camp on it

having one car and thusly 0 chance of visiting sova makes me sad

toasty

Smash Hero
haha probably because I didn't offer anything to actually debate [I was at work >_<]

Luigi's Mansion seems to be the best of those debatable ones...it just gets annoying for some [like some ROBs I know who got 0-90% just from Mach Tornado :(....poor MD ROB ;_____;]

Pictochat? I dunno man...like...it feels like a stage that creates items. Yeah they don't hurt until they've been fully drawn, but there are a couple drawings that show up very very quickly and lets say you get grabbed and in that time the drawing starts, you get thrown at it, and it's that one..I think it's a rocket or a nuke-like bomb and then boom it just explodes and you die at a very low percent. It's less balanced than the lava on Norfair [which isn't THAT bad..there is so much room to run around, if you get grabbed and thrown at the lava wall thats your fault.]

Skyworld: camping is too good on that stage and so are the stage KOs. It's a dumb ****ing level, to be honest. Just a bad design and I don't think it merits legality. I don't have much experience there...but that's because it's...gahhh I can't believe some places even allow Skyworld @_@

Hanenbow, I think, has already been discussed in the Gusto's Tourney thread...........*sigh*...it's a shame. Such a beautiful and unique stage :(

I'll second what Caboose said about Onett.

OTIS: I would love to come over thursday =D What time can I come over?

Nava: I'll bring a Melee setup to O-NO's on thursday :)

Arby: yesss Fox dittos =D I will show you the ways of the gays @_@

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
I say the h3ll with pictochat and skyworld 0_0 !
The others are cool tho....

If anyone wants 2 play brawl with me and other p.$.c crew members (famus, boss, fear, killz, and potentially ghost) let me know or pm me I'll give you information on how to get to my house or see if I can work something else out.

Also any 1 up for doing crew battles with us?

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
O-NO, I'd be down for Smash on Thursday. I can bring a full setup.

Slash, sorry, was busy today didn't check the boards. I'll let you know when I'm free.
Serpent, u down for that $MM in Melee Thursday @ O-NO's?

whodat

Smash Apprentice
Okay. This needs to be discussed at length before I, or Otis?, plan another tourney at Hi Score.

Debatable [only because some tourneys are allowing them and some aren't]:
- Luigi's Mansion
- Onett (really?!)
- Skyworld (again...@_@)
- Electroplankton
- Pictochat

I vote that of those debatable ones, Luigi's Mansion should be fine [and generally is]

note: I did NOT forget Corneria.
Ok here is my take on those stages.

Luigi's Mansion- There's really not much wrong with that stage in general. I mean people can get some pretty insane stage combos there, but everyone can take advantage of it. Plus the house can be broken so then for a bit you at least have an FD like stage. So it should be perfectly legal

Onett- I'd say if Corneria is banned then this should be as well. I mean Corneria's only fault is having a wall which I still say is BS that it's banned, but whatever. Onett has 2 plus walkoff and stage hazards. Should be banned

Skyworld- This stage is complete and total BS. Stage spikes you at random. Most characters can't even recover there. That in itself should be enough to be banned.

Electroplankton- Promotes heavy camping. If you get sucked into that one part in the water you just lost a stock. I personally just don't like the stage, but it's not as bad as some of the others in the list.

Pictochat- Another stupid stage, but fun to play on for whatever reason. Although some of the pictures that appear stop momentum they don't last too long. Now most of the stage hazards don't do much damage like the fire only does 1%, but there are a few that will kill you and others that are annoying. The big missile doesn't really kill you, but if you get thrown into the one on the right it combos into the other one so that's a bad thing. The plant will kill you if your at a high enough percent and also the cart. I am guilty of picking this stage when I'm upset and want to get some cheap kills. I'm kinda neutral on this stage because of the fact that I don't like a couple of the other stages that are in the list. I would much rather play on this than Electroplankton, Skyworld, Norfair, or even Onett.

If I were to pick 2 stages that would be ok if legal then it would be Luigi's Mansion and Pictochat.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
I would love to see something like, Toasty, Whodat,korn, shaeman, and even Nava too, etc

Let me know if you are interested.

Jinmaster.
Sorry, but sadly im busy Friday-Sunday.
Friday-Saturday is rhan's birthday crew battle.
Sunday i have to help host crystalnite's melee tournament in Williamsburg.
Maybe next time.
=/

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pictochat's drawings appear at set intervals and stay on the screen for a set amount of time as well. I can predict when they are going to appear.

Each change only shows up once till the full list of 27 is picked.

The fence looking thing is what people usually complain about and it can kill at low 100's.

toasty

Smash Hero
oh ****, I didn't know that. thanks

people may find this thread useful:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=145433
^ pictures and properties of each of the transformations

Pictochat cycles through all 27 sketches (picking each one once) every 12 minutes. They are evenly distributed with 13.33 seconds per sketch, and 13.33 seconds of blankness. The same sketch can start one set that had ended the previous set. The missiles come in at various heights (same general layout though), and have fixed knockback like the flames. The other hazards knock you farther with more percentage.

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
Pictochat is like a non moving Poke-Floats.

Since everything is in even intervals, even though they are randomly chosen by the computer, you know when it is going to pop up.

I vote legal, even though I haven't participated in one tourney yet.

Beat me for my squanders.

:[

whodat

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I noticed that not all the stages were posted in toasty's original post so here is basically the list from the last C3.

Stages set to random:

Yoshi's Island (DS version)
Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination

Counterpicks available:
Lylat Cruise
Delphino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium
Electro Plankton

toasty

Smash Hero
Counterpicks available:
Lylat Cruise
Delphino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium
Electro Plankton
WHAT?

Actually I was already aware of this list ...but I'd rather just have a list for us to go by until there's an official counterpick list. I left off Stadium II and the neutral stages because I figured their ban and inclusion, respectively, were implied; I was discussing possible Counterpick stages since there seems to be a consensus among most of the smash community about the 4 neutrals.

I can add Stadium II to the "Debatable" list only because I know very little about this stage other than that it's silly. But silliness isn't always grounds for banning, so I'll leave it up to SoVa.

BY THE WAY. This is your chance to say something. At the next SoVa tourney if you end up being taken to a stage that you find questionable and you start to ***** about it then, tough ****. You should have said something.

I guess if camping is such a huge issue that can be grounds for banning certain stages [esp since camping is much more effective/prevalent in Brawl], this can be another reason for Corneria to be banned.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
i dont care about the stages for brawl. ill play whatever people vote for. ill find a way around them.

Toasty, talk to HSG about the next lock in. i wont have time to do it.

as far as thursday goes. ill have to post when its cool to drop by. if i dont work at the arcade that day, ill be good in the early afternoon. if i do work, its gonna be looking like a night time deal like last time.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
Stadium II is ridiculous, the only argument i could see is that everybody gets the same advantage/disadvantage, but ice?, conveyorbelts?, and floaty air?.... too much gameplay change IMO.

I don't mind pictochat. The plant, the cart, and the fence just do extreme knockback.

I think green greens should be banned only because of what whodat can do with olimar =)

toasty

Smash Hero
eh...that's just Olimar, Whodat's not that great >_>

hahahaha, jokes jokes...**** your Oli :( I wish I played Falco or someone that was mad good against Olimar haha =D

I'll try and get something going at HSG. Hopefully it won't take too much time to set up since I think it should be pretty routine stuff. Just gotta figure out date/time :)

Not sure if I'm able to come on thursday or not. Relatives from Bangladesh are MOVING IN with us that day. :( :( :( I really want to though

gahhhhh

Jeff.....

Smash Rookie
Thursday? Whats going on Thursday?

Hopefully it's at night because i have plans early thursday

It's been awhile since i went somewhere to smash =[

Jeff.....

Smash Rookie
*yawn* Wish i could watch videos of me and toasty *yawnnn*

Oh okayy i might stop by =]
Mashi are you goingg?

Jeff.....

Smash Rookie
Thanks Toasty ^_^
I was wondering if you forgot or not =]

Thursday: I plan on going to the beach early day. Maybe afterwords!

toasty

Smash Hero
LMFAO.

I really missed you at the tourney AND the lock-in, Caboose ;____; I need that Warioooo...too bad your Brawl days sound like they're dying up there? Khalil might not be tourney-ing it up anymore, either :( I think Slash and I are the only ones left in GC/DC.

oh well.

Hands Off My Bread! will be tested out at O-NO's on thursday if I'm able to go =D

Top Bottom