• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SpinDash Roll Spinshot

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
As most of you are all aware, there are two ways (that are confirmed) to do Spinshot: one is which SpinDash in its charging phase. The other one is ASCSS (Aerial Spin Charge Spinshot), but what if I told you there's another way to do Spinshot directly from a SpinDash Roll?

You're all probably thinking how is this possible seeing as how when you try most anything, you'll only do a Spindash Jump.

Well, if you take a look at a practice match of myself against a CPU, you'll see this AT in work. The time of occurrence is in the video description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLScLOdB5Zk&feature=sub

(It's best to wait until it gets in better quality, as of 9:26 PST it only recently got done uploading so the quality will be crap. Click HQ when available, it's not only recommended, it's absolutely necessary if you want to clearly see what's going on.) (Anybody who has video editing skills and can slow down the video and freeze-frame it; or has mastered this, is more than encouraged to take a look at this and render this new AT down.)

Sorry, it's a bit situational, as you have to do this from the edge of a platform. This will however work on any platforms, you just need an edge.

As of now, the timing is unknown, but it's sometime before you leave the stage (in which case, it will be too late, and you'll probably do a double jump), but not too soon or you'll end up doing a regular ol' SpinDash Jump.

Well... that's pretty much it. Now that you're either informed of its existence or just confirmed it if you already knew this was here, then please go deeper into this.

For simplicity reasons, this will be dubbed "SDRSS". More AT alphabet soup.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sorry bro, this has been known for ages.

we never had a real term for it though, just Spinshot off the edge.

:093:

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
yep!

I've gimped a Link with a SDRSS > Spring Fair back to stage, lol. It was pretty lucky/random though. And in a FFA.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sorry bro, this has been known for ages.

we never had a real term for it though, just Spinshot off the edge.

I was probably thinking somebody would say this.

however, never have I seen it documented, whether it be in it's own thread or in one of the guides. Neither have I seen anybody try to do it intentionally, let alone capture it in a replay and in a Youtube video.

There's also a difference between charging up a SpinDash and doing a Spinshot from a Spindash Roll I'll have you know. :< You don't have to stop at the edge and take up a few extra milliseconds. If you're already in a SpinDash Roll, you can quickly go to that angle that Spinshot sends you that a Spindash Jump couldn't take you to.

I'm not trying to argue anything, I just want to make sure we're on the same page of this storybook (sequel to Black Knight, anybody?).

Edit: Kupo, I haven't seen that video anywhere. We ought to get Espy to put it in the misc/video guide since I myself (and chances are, anybody else on the Sonic boards), have yet to see such a video that would go into full/high detail of Spinshot.

Also this isn't a dumb thing to learn, in fact as I already said above, the SDRSS covers angles that a regular SpinDash Jump cannot (whether it be as quickly or at all), and the same goes for jump/double-jumping offstage. Sonic has enough aerial top speed to do one, maybe two aerials after a SDRSS and Spring back to the ledge. Of course it will put you in a worse position if you fail to harass your opponents off the stage and they make it back to the ledge, but then again what failed tactic doesn't do that to you?

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Edit: Kupo, I haven't seen that video anywhere. We ought to get Espy to put it in the misc/video guide since I myself (and chances are, anybody else on the Sonic boards), have yet to see such a video that would go into full/high detail of Spinshot.
Yeah, this guy doesn't play competitively and doesn't have a AiB/SWF account as far as I know. His videos are all mostly 2min FFA's in "With Anyone" mode but he uses Sonic and does/finds stuff on his own which I respect.

Of course it will put you in a worse position if you fail to harass your opponents off the stage and they make it back to the ledge, but then again what failed tactic doesn't do that to you?
Yeah this is why I rather SDJ off the edge of the stage than SDRSS. Since if you're doing SDJ offstage and fail. Coming back wouldn't be as dangerous as you still have your 2nd jump giving you more options to come back safely. With SDRSS its Springing back or maybe... HA >.>

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh I just remembered.

Usually if I make anything new, it goes onto AiB.

But then without thinking, I must've figured "what's the point, all these n****s are all up in the Xat anyway, and even though it's good to get this thing it's own special place, this 'somewhat' new 'thing' ain't going to see the light of Sonic's complete metagame."

I'll still try though, whether or not it's on accident, I'll find and use some of its applications.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I def remember memphischains going into this in some thread a long time ago, lol, but ok. Whatever helps I guess.

Also if it involves spinshot, CiTH has known about it since the game's launch.

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol, I even have an example of this in my side-B/down-B video :laugh:

altho it's in the part that's like "srry we don't have time to explain spinshot"
but it shows three spinshots happening

one is side-B spinshot
one is down-B spinshot
one is SDR spinshot

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
You should've spring-daired out of your spinshot.

Seriously, you can't spinshot without a CiTH combo. It's like a law or something.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
:<

I have a hard enough time keeping up with old stuff (apparently), and doing the SDRSS was hard enough, you want me to try to do CiTH's combo?

...Anyway, just so I don' feel like a loser, can we go ahead and call this SDRSS for as long as we are apart of this community?

Yes/No?

4nace

Smash Ace
Doesn't really need an acronym. In actual gameplay this glitch is on the same level as the glitch that makes Sonic lose his spring if you hit the ground with around 0 vertical velocity. You want to avoid it if you can, and try to make due if it does happen.
Not really an AT find I would say.

-4nace

Luigi player

Smash Master
This is actually pretty easy to do if you turn around during spindash on one edge of a platform and jump on the other one after turning around... because you can buffer it (at least on the platforms on battlefield). That's how the CPU in your vid made it.

It's probably not so useful if you have to roll into the other side first though. :/

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Doesn't really need an acronym. In actual gameplay this glitch is on the same level as the glitch that makes Sonic lose his spring if you hit the ground with around 0 vertical velocity. You want to avoid it if you can, and try to make due if it does happen.
Not really an AT find I would say.

-4nace
Cypher-gimping is a glitch, yet we have a term for that.

I don't see any problem with associating this with something anybody can recognize, but you know that's probably just a little pet peeve of mine, I really don't care what happens since it's hard for me to. :(

4nace

Smash Ace
Yea, I guess thats true that many other glitches have names. But most are more useful then this. I guess you could give it the acronym or merely call it an edge spinshot.

My main problem is that if you want to spin shot then why not just do it when you are charging side B on the ground and not risk being too far from the edge to get the edge one. Any time I do it, its an accident and I end up having to spring back to safety and usually either miss a gimp or get punished upon landing.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
@ 4nace, you could always dair after the accidental spinshot. just spring right after. It's one of my favorite ways to a recovering opponent.

@ Kinzer, there's a term for grabbing Snake's cypher? wow.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Cypher grabbing (not gimping) is not a glitch, but how grabs work.

You grab, cypher hits you out of grab. Our feet never touched the ground, we do not get our grab back. It forces a GROUND grab release, never an aerial one. We cannot recover. End of story.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...Yeah, I suppose it's a physics abuse.

Though I don't ever recall having the actual cypher hit me out of a grab-release.

Also the reason I'm being rather picky about the term is because Edge Spinshot can be mistakenly associated with just... Spinshotting at the edge of the stage. Out of all the three ways to Spinshot, you can't really tell they're talking about a specific one.

And why not, you ask...? Well, I can't force you to pick up on everything that makes a character, a character. Does it help? It might, and maybe it does, but perhaps you can still get around with it. It's your choice whether you want to perfect this or not.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Susa, go to pound4 so we can do M2 dittos.

Sure, it's boring because there's no pressure game going on at all, trading hits back and forth with baiting going on for what will seem like forever. But you play brawl so you'd be used to that kind of thing D;

SuSa

Mewtwo dittos are more exciting then Falcon dittos in Brawl.

I'll try.

<3 boxob

@Kinzer
If you properly cypher grab snake, he is release from cypher. Cypher hits you. Breaks grab.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
There's a proper way to Cypher-gimp a Snake?

I dunno man, the way he breaks from my grabs when it happens, it gets the same result (one stock less, or major damage intake if he has his C4).

SuSa

If the cypher hits you, you did it correctly.
If the cypher goes above you, he air breaks and can C4 himself.

Both lead to death against smart opponents. =p but the 1st is something we have no control over. We simply die.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
susa's the man with the plan.

and fine, we'll call it SDRS. Or if CiTH comes up with a cooler name because he's god of Spinshot.

infomon

Smash Scientist
No, that's not what this thread is about..... if you hit the Jump button just as your spindash roll is leaving the edge of the stage, it will sometimes do a spinshot off the edge; thus wasting your 2nd jump and pushing you real far from the stage lol.

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
No, that's not what this thread is about..... if you hit the Jump button just as your spindash roll is leaving the edge of the stage, it will sometimes do a spinshot off the edge; thus wasting your 2nd jump and pushing you real far from the stage lol.
yea i forgot to put in the fact that you use your second jump, actually making it a SDRJ. But yea I pretty much understand what its all about.

infomon

Smash Scientist
No, spindash jump and spinshot are two different things.

Spindash jump: you have a blue aura, it's a hitbox, you go higher than a normal jump

Spinshot: it's a low, fast jump; like your 2nd jump, no spindash aura at all. It goes fast and far but not high.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Yeah this has been around since the Sonic Orochi days ;)

<3333 u sonic boards

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
oo man really. i had a friendlies with him in the last tourny. I won the first two. He said my sonic had potential. I went home and cried tears of joy. jk, but really who did you use againt him??
Diddy and then metaknight. Was pretty close I guess, but it sucks cause I've been using Sonic since brawl first came out and I still couldn't beat him after the countless hours I put into Sonic because I really never fought another sonic :(

bawwwwwwwwwwwwww

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If anybody cares, there's approximately a 5-frame window to do this.

That's a rough extimation, it could be less but I didn't look into it with debug thoroughly.

God this tech is so hard to perform intentionally, but it really does kind of suck, it's just another glitch that has no initial benefit and some more obvious down-sides... Think of Sonic's "cypher" gimp where we get caught out of our Spring and likely die but this teaches us not to be stupid with recovery.

Now it's /thread.

Top Bottom