• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Read the very first line of what I said in that paragraph lol. Heihachi is already a Pac man taunt, so not every third party Mii Costume is MIA, they were just changed into another form in the game (we are hoping Geno doesn't remain a spirit and icon tho, but Heihachi we already know was too hard to work with as playable, as Sakurai said, so he will probably remain a pac-man taunt , and he might be back as a free mii costume in the future while DLC are happening)

Edit: Accidental double post.
You mean like that. I thought you just talking about the Mii Costumes in general, not the characters all together. Also... everyone is saying that Heihachi is part of the taunt of Pacman? Which one is him? Not the biggest Tekken fan so I'm a bit lost on that area.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You mean like that. I thought you just talking about the Mii Costumes in general, not the characters all together. Also... everyone is saying that Heihachi is part of the taunt of Pacman? Which one is him? Not the biggest Tekken fan so I'm a bit lost on that area.
46378407_261309834550155_8231474429125044308_n.jpg

That would be him

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Crono using time travel olwouldn't happen because he really doesn't need it. You have the katana fighting style, his own Techs and Lightning spells which are a must for his moveset, then comes the Double and Triple Techs, one of the most unique features of the game's combat, which could or could not be used.
Time travel is, as many have said, a gimmick for his stage as it's never used in combat and it's not an ability that's inherent to Crono nor does he use it in combat.
At most, I could see him use the Chrono Trigger item but idk

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I saw this brought up in the Geno thread, how Nintendo has been "celebrating" SMRPG by tweeting that "Team Mallow or Team Geno?" tweet, along with the SMRPG/Geno-is-the-correct-answer question in the Nintendo-sponsored quiz-thing in the HQ app during the VGAs, and how this is all really weird considering that companies don't just tweet/push things out-of-the-blue without huge oversight. They don't even mention Square Enix despite them owning the SMRPG-original characters and most of the game if not all of it (aside from Mario).

I'm hoping they're at least planning an SMRPG 2. Maybe they bought the rights...?

It's also speculated that DQ was perhaps planned for base, but constant delays, and work on KH3, put the DQ stuff on hold (taking into account how all the insiders/leakers are only aware of DQ stuff perhaps being DLC, with the occasional random-guy claiming he heard of Lloyd or Yuri); maybe Geno still has a chance for another spot...?

As an SK fan, seeing as he's already disconfirmed, I'd rather Geno than neither.

Skull Kiddo also isn't really a one-shot; he's the same Skull Kid you play Saria's Song to in Ocarina of Time, plus he's in Hyrule Warriors (if we're gonna count Mario spinoffs for Daisy and such, then I'm gonna count Zelda spinoffs).
Nobody counted Mario spinoffs for Daisy's appearance. She appeared in a mainline game on the game and was the princess Mario rescued there. She had a presence in the main Mario series before.

D

Deleted member

If someone wonders how Crono's time travel could be implemented, think of Ekko from League of legends, or Tracer from Overwatch, who can warp back to a previous point they were a few seconds ago (a very small period of time if you will). It could work as a recovery, and if you think it's broken, think of Ekko again, who leaves a trace of where he will end being warped to, so you can probably camp it or predict it if you're fast enough to read the moment Crono will do it. It can be a balanced feature in the end (there are more broken characters in the game already than that anyway, so I wouldn't bring the "OP" argument to this as things are already lol)
Crono cant manipulate time at will, dunno why people keep insisting that his moveset needs to contain this. He is a time traveler, if you want characters who can manipulate time there are Tracer who can backtrack her actions or the Prince from PoP who can rewind time as examples and even then the things they can do is different.
Also Bayonetta is a time manipulator as well with her witch time.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Man, now I'm imagining Prince of Persia in Smash. Loved that game but there's no way his time travel would work in a multiplayer game lol

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I saw this brought up in the Geno thread, how Nintendo has been "celebrating" SMRPG by tweeting that "Team Mallow or Team Geno?" tweet, along with the SMRPG/Geno-is-the-correct-answer question in the Nintendo-sponsored quiz-thing in the HQ app during the VGAs, and how this is all really weird considering that companies don't just tweet/push things out-of-the-blue without huge oversight. They don't even mention Square Enix despite them owning the SMRPG-original characters and most of the game if not all of it (aside from Mario).
Was that promotion done by Nintendo of Japan?

No?

Then it means little since Nintendo of Japan is calling all of the shots.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Crono cant manipulate time at will, dunno why people keep insisting that his moveset needs to contain this. He is a time traveler, if you want characters who can manipulate time there are Tracer who can backtrack her actions or the Prince from PoP who can rewind time as examples and even then the things they can do is different.
There are moves in some characters movesets that are just part of their canon series and not something they do as actual characters. You don't see toon link doing that triforce slash in any zelda game, for example. Duck hunt does things that are canon to the zap games but it's not what the dog and bird really do either. Also I was just explaining how it "could" work, moveset wise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There are moves in some characters movesets that are just part of their canon series and not something they do as actual characters. You don't see toon link doing that triforce slash in any zelda game, for example. Duck hunt does things that are canon to the zap games but it's not what the dog and bird really do either. Also I was just explaining how it "could" work, moveset wise.
The thing is Crono doesn't need anything to fill missing moves. If an unique gameplay mechanic from his game were to be represented in his moveset, it would be in Double Techs.
Crono's moveset problem is that he has TOO MUCH stuff, I mean, he can have, like, 4 different Final Smashes depending on the direction you wanna go.

beans

Smash Lord
Thats not the Dog or Duck doing the moves tough...?
Doesnt the Palutena's Guidance says that its actually a trio?
https://youtu.be/CT66dcLPhsE?t=16

NoA would know the DLC as well, though, would they not?

I don't think either of those things mean much at all but I can see why they're bought up.
It's more that NoA doesnt have too much power over the picks, its just NoJ.
What NoA does do not matter too much in this scenario

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Thats not the Dog or Duck doing the moves tough.

It's more that NoA doesnt have too much power over the picks, its just NoJ.
What NoA does do not matter too much in this scenario
I don't think that would be the implication though

From what I get it'd be NoA promoting Geno before his reveal
Not implying they have any power over if he got in or not

What they're doing is hinting at him BECAUSE he got in.

Again, I don't think these two things matter, I think Erdrick's our rep.

Nobody counted Mario spinoffs for Daisy's appearance. She appeared in a mainline game on the game and was the princess Mario rescued there. She had a presence in the main Mario series before.
Not sure I agree with that. Just about every Daisy moveset or support thread I saw had a paragraph on how she could represent the spinoffs.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
NoA would know the DLC as well, though, would they not?

I don't think either of those things mean much at all but I can see why they're bought up.
But why would NoA preemptively advertise DLC that hadn't even been chosen at that point?

Also, why would the person who runs their Twitter know about it?

Sure, Nintendo of America might know about the DLC, but they're not the one who made the choices. Nintendo of Japan is. Nintendo of Japan is the flagship Nintendo, and Nintendo of America was able to give suggestions for some picks at best.

Two promotions exclusive to America means little to nothing for Geno's chances.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But why would NoA preemptively advertise DLC that hadn't even been chosen at that point?

Also, why would the person who runs their Twitter know about it?

Sure, Nintendo of America might know about the DLC, but they're not the one who made the choices. Nintendo of Japan is. Nintendo of Japan is the flagship Nintendo, and Nintendo of America was able to give suggestions for some picks at best.

Two promotions exclusive to America means little to nothing for Geno's chances.
I don't think the Twitter thing means much since SMRPG is well-known for Mallow and Geno existing. Them asking "Team Mallow or Team Geno" means as much for Geno as it does for Mallow; nothing.

But I can see why TGA thing would be different seeing as it happened AFTER all the DLC had been chosen.

I totally agree with you TPC by the way just wanna rationalize why people bring this up so often.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm not saying Nintendo is hinting, I'm saying that they may be trying to make Geno as well as SMRPG itself more-known by shouting it out for the public eye to see, so they may be planning an SMRPG remake or sequel if it isn't Geno in Smash.

The guy who runs the Twitter would probably not know exactly what's going on, but because the company would be stressing him out by making sure he tweets everything they want him to and doesn't fall out of line, meaning the SMRPG tweet isn't of his own will but because of his job, they may be planning something. Y'all act like NoA doesn't receive info from NoJ or something.

There's also the HQ app-thing so it isn't even just their Twitter.

I've seen Mario spinoffs used to explain why Mario one-shots like Daisy and (arguably) Rosalina get in and not Zelda one-shots.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If someone wonders how Crono's time travel could be implemented, think of Ekko from League of legends, or Tracer from Overwatch, who can warp back to a previous point they were a few seconds ago (a very small period of time if you will). It could work as a recovery, and if you think it's broken, think of Ekko again, who leaves a trace of where he will end being warped to, so you can probably camp it or predict it if you're fast enough to read the moment Crono will do it. It can be a balanced feature in the end (there are more broken characters in the game already than that anyway, so I wouldn't bring the "OP" argument to this as things are already lol)
Or Weaver from Dota 2

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
The argument is that supposedly the social media posts go under tons of review and they wouldn't waste time talking about someone irrelevant. As a result, they would only talk about Geno if it served a greater purpose. Talking about Geno would further spread knowledge about the character and help him enter the general Nintendo consumers consciousness. This would make the public more knowledgeable about the character if he was announced for a game. NOA doesn't choose the characters, but they certainly could coordinate with NOJ about a chosen character. It was also mentioned that they could be bringing him up for some purpose outside of smash. I don't know if I buy into the argument or not, but that is what it is.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The argument is that supposedly the social media posts go under tons of review and they wouldn't waste time talking about someone irrelevant. As a result, they would only talk about Geno if it served a greater purpose. Talking about Geno would further spread knowledge about the character and help him enter the general Nintendo consumers consciousness. This would make the public more knowledgeable about the character if he was announced for a game. NOA doesn't choose the characters, but they certainly could coordinate with NOJ about a chosen character. It was also mentioned that they could be bringing him up for some purpose outside of smash. I don't know if I buy into the argument or not, but that is what it is.
"waste time"
...it's a social media page.
This is silly. Can we stop using the "team mallow vs team geno" point and at least use only TGA point if this silly argument is gonna keep living?

(not saying you believe it, you said you don't; just a general statement.)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It may be a social media page, but it's the official one for the company itself, run by someone they pay and tell what to post.

Either Nintendo told their employee to post an SMRPG-thing just 'cause, or they were actually trying to bring it into the public eye. Not necessarily because Smash; I'm hoping for a new SMRPG thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It may be a social media page, but it's the official one for the company itself, run by someone they pay and tell what to post.

Either Nintendo told their employee to post an SMRPG-thing just 'cause, or they were actually trying to bring it into the public eye. Not necessarily because Smash; I'm hoping for a new SMRPG thing.
Tbh the most likely thing seems to be the former but who knows lol

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
It really depends on whether or not you think a social media page is somewhat of an afterthought or something they put an immense amount of time and planning into.

D

Deleted member

I guess the tweet is more of a shoutout from the PR department considering the SNES classic being in the market and at least NoA knowing that SMRPG has a following rather than something smash related. Unless we see more involvement from other parts of Nintendo, its better to just wait and see.

beans

Smash Lord
NoA is actually setting up a risky 4D Yu-Gi-Oh-Chess move since the begginnig.
The Newgrounds, the fake leaks, the Sakurai interview, the Grinch, the existence of the SNES Classic and the twitter is all part of big plan to get Geno in Smash.
Who would orchestrate such plan? Only someone with power in NoA would be able t-
reggie.png

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Was that promotion done by Nintendo of Japan?

No?

Then it means little since Nintendo of Japan is calling all of the shots.
I have to agree, unfortunately. At best it's someone(s) at Nintendo of America is pushing for Geno. Reminds me of when Funimation tweeted to Nintendo of America something along the lines of "Hey Nintendo when are our boy gonna join" and then they had a photoshopped picture of how it could look if Goku was joining. I remember when that one came out, how so many people argued that this is proof that Goku would get in, even though most seem to fail to realize that Funimation is just one of many that own the dubbing rights to Dragon Ball (Funimation isn't even the only studio that makes an english dub for it)

Untouch

Smash Master
Info like this is kept to an absolute minimum.
Even Nintendo PR likely does not know anything.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
There's also the question + answer in the HQ app during the VGAs - the question/survey thing was Nintendo-sponsored - but yeah it could just be acknowledgement of SMRPG fans I guess.

I still find it weird that they wait a few years after Geno's Mii Costume in Smash before they continue to acknowledge SMRPG without any input from or mention of Square Enix.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

It really depends on whether or not you think a social media page is somewhat of an afterthought or something they put an immense amount of time and planning into.
No.

It's Nintendo of America, not Nintendo of Japan.

The point is that it'd be important if Nintendo of Japan were the ones doing the promotion, but they're not. It's only Nintendo of America. Given that they have little input in the DLC selection process, the promotion for Geno means little, if nothing.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Very nice concept! I’d be doubly hyped for Erdrick if he had something similar to this.

Though I’m wondering what exactly is the function of Whistle? In the Dragon Quest series, Whistle is the ability to immediately start a battle with some monsters, and is a very useful technique for grinding. What does it do here, summon a monster that lays a beat down on your opponents?
Thanks! I keep forgetting the image was supposed to be a 2-parter.
But basically, my final Smash idea was a Yoshi-style Attack.
Hero performs a loud whistle and, much like Final Smashes sometimes exagerate abilities, instead of luring one monster, he's lure a horde of them. From different species. To trample the opponents.

Does anyone have any experience with the mobile versions of the DQ games? I'm usually a handheld or console gamer but the convenience of being able to try DQ3 or even 8 on mobile is tempting.
Mobiles are great. At least 1~6, they're flawless imo.

8 mobile is a little rougher around the edges, and the weak version of the three. 20fps, vertical screen, and no voice acting is what you can expect from it. If you d
Hohoho.
Just remembered there's an item in DQ (4 onwards) called Sands of Time. Basically, rewinds time to the beginning of a battle.

It's one of those ítems you get near the end of the games.

All this Crono talk makes me want to talk about him for a change.

I've wanted Crono in smash since Brawl. And to see him in a list of possible 7, makes me giddy. I don't care what his chances are, but I love that he's one of the "finalists" from Square Enix.

Since he was a collab between Square and Enix before they merged, I really thought Crono's future (lol) was safe.
Boy how wrong I was... :(

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I guess the tweet is more of a shoutout from the PR department considering the SNES classic being in the market and at least NoA knowing that SMRPG has a following rather than something smash related. Unless we see more involvement from other parts of Nintendo, its better to just wait and see.
An advertisement roughly eight months after the fact seems a tad misplaced, doubly so considering the tweet made no mention of the SNES classic whatsoever. It would've been easy to throw in a quick "play it now on the SNES classic"

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
So how close knit do we think the information about the dlc is? Does NOA and its marketing team know about it or just NOJ?

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Thanks! I keep forgetting the image was supposed to be a 2-parter.
But basically, my final Smash idea was a Yoshi-style Attack.
Hero performs a loud whistle and, much like Final Smashes sometimes exagerate abilities, instead of luring one monster, he's lure a horde of them. From different species. To trample the opponents.

Mobiles are great. At least 1~6, they're flawless imo.

8 mobile is a little rougher around the edges, and the weak version of the three. 20fps, vertical screen, and no voice acting is what you can expect from it. If you d

Hohoho.
Just remembered there's an item in DQ (4 onwards) called Sands of Time. Basically, rewinds time to the beginning of a battle.

It's one of those ítems you get near the end of the games.

All this Crono talk makes me want to talk about him for a change.

I've wanted Crono in smash since Brawl. And to see him in a list of possible 7, makes me giddy. I don't care what his chances are, but I love that he's one of the "finalists" from Square Enix.

Since he was a collab between Square and Enix before they merged, I really thought Crono's future (lol) was safe.
Boy how wrong I was... :(
The pain is real...

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Man, now I'm imagining Prince of Persia in Smash. Loved that game but there's no way his time travel would work in a multiplayer game lol
I can see it, though it would only affect him. His Down Special could rewind his damage and position to where it was a few seconds before, though it would need a hefty cooldown, or the ability to be knocked out of it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
...I'm sorry I think we're both misunderstanding.

My point is that tweet was sent out likely just because it was SMRPG's anniversary. Idk why the SNES Classic would factor in.
But why now? They have never done it before, and definitely not on more fitting milestones for celebration, like the 20th anniversary. 22 is a weird number to start celebrating on.

Untouch

Smash Master
So how close knit do we think the information about the dlc is? Does NOA and its marketing team know about it or just NOJ?
Well JC and Reggie know about the DLC, but I think very few people outside of that know, just the people involved in the negotiations.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But why now? They have never done it before, and definitely not on more fitting milestones for celebration, like the 20th anniversary. 22 is a weird number to start celebrating on.
It's...literally just the game's anniversary, why do you need more then that?
This is silly, guys.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's...literally just the game's anniversary, why do you need more then that?
This is silly, guys.
I am just curious why they would do it now when they have literally never done it before for well over two decades. If it was all just for the sake of anniversary, then they would have started doing this years ago.

Top Bottom