• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spongebob is 10 years old.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I don't think I could've grown up to be the guy I am without Spongebob and the humor and memories the show's given me. And yeah, everything since the movie sucks but I remember for a good two years there were only a handful of Spongebob episodes that were rerun constantly, and seeing them so many times burned them into my minds. Its also when they would only premere a new episode twice a year or something, and that made it an event all the more worthwhile.

Basically its taken me 10 years to realize how important Spongebob is to me. What about everyone else?

XACE-K

Smash Master
I agree too. Spongebob was one of my favorite cartoons ever. My only problem with Spongebob is that idk what my favorite episode is. >_<

WolfenMiatang

Smash Apprentice
Im glad it still has survive staying on air at Nickelodeon which i am very glad.
Spongebob is always on when i want it to be on ^^

"Once upon a time there was a ugly barnacle who was so ugly that everyone died, the end"

best story ever

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I STILL watch SpongeBob, even though its quality has declined in the past few years. It's a great show, and even if it goes down in flames, it will be remembered in respect.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
While I have to admit that the new SB isn't as funny as before, Its still one of the best cartoons that's on T.V, in fact, isn't it the only cartoon that Nickelodeon has right now?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Here's an interesting question, everyone:

What is your favorite episode from each season so far?

I'll list mine later.

EDIT: @gamingblack: Now that I think about it... it's the only one I can think of right now. There's Fairly OddParents, but...

Man, it's kind of sad how little cartoons Nickolodeon has considering they used to have much more.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ No wonder Nickelodeon is showing nothing but Spongbob for the three days straight. He's one of a few shows I watch on that station, I always love that yellow sponge, so soft. <3 ♥

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Ah! Pizza Delivery was a good Season 1 episode, but I prefer Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost. Hilarious from start to finish. :laugh:

Scott!

Smash Lord
Gotta love SpongeBob. It's an amazing show that's proven its worth in its longevity. Still can't believe it's been 10 years though. As for the declining quality, there was a time when I agreed that it dropped off after the movie. But in the last year, after going years without seeing any episodes at all, new or old, I have on two occasions seen some of the newer ones, and I thought they were decent. Not perhaps quite up to the level of the old ones, but I thoroughly enjoyed one that had Patrick in drag as Patricia. Very classy.

Also...

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?" Can't believe how useful this one is in daily conversation.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
The episode where Spongebob and Patrick paint mr. krabs' basement is where patrick shines.

hat!

Smash Apprentice
Wow 10 years? That means Spongebob has been my favorite show since I was five :bee:
Spongebob is always funnier when watching with friends or family ^_^

"Imagination"

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Nickelodeon has a tendency to destroy the quality of their cartoons after "the movie." The first few season were the pinnacle of modern cartoons - I'm really incapable of naming anything of that caliber anymore. :/

I remember passing by a recent episode where a splinter explicitly carved itself into Spongebob's finger. Completely despicable - and not in the good Ren & Stimpy way, not even in the passable Ed, Edd, and Eddy way either. Just... crap.

After reading and seeing that gif though, I'm tempted to take a glimpse at the car crash.

My personal favorite was always the first one, the bubble one. :p

"First you go like thiiiiiiis..."

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Has anyone ever considered the fact that it's not the shows that are getting worse, you're just getting older?

Kids back in the day liked the show. Teens back then did not.

Kids today like the show. The teens now do not.

Same for any classic show that still runs. Like Pokemon. Nearly everyone you meet will say "first gen's the best." Because there's so much nostalgia, you were younger, it was entertaining.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
My personal favorite was always the first one, the bubble one. :p

"First you go like thiiiiiiis..."
Actually...that's the second episode. First was "Help Wanted", when he goes and gets a job at the Krusty Krab.

Has anyone ever considered the fact that it's not the shows that are getting worse, you're just getting older?

Kids back in the day liked the show. Teens back then did not.

Kids today like the show. The teens now do not.

Same for any classic show that still runs. Like Pokemon. Nearly everyone you meet will say "first gen's the best." Because there's so much nostalgia, you were younger, it was entertaining.
There actually was a huge shift before Season 4 (since the movie). The original series producer resigned, and a lot of the original writers for the show left as well. The changes ended up leading to less focus on the actual characters, and more focus on the plot. Problem is, it's almost always the characters who make something funny; not the story itself. And as for teens not liking the show, you're wrong. I don't know about where you grew up, but quite a few teens around here DID like it. And I still enjoy watching the oldies; not for nostalgia either. They're still pretty funny, tbh.

Take that from an 18 year old.

As for my favorite episodes, I honestly quit watching for the most part after the movie (just naturally...it wasn't because I didn't like the episodes, I just never had time to watch TV D: ). From the original three seasons though, I have no particular favorite in any of the seasons. There's always a tie. :\

Season 1: Bubble Stand and F.U.N.
Season 2: Dying for Pie, Frankendoodle, and Sailor Mouth
Season 3: Club Spongebob, Idiot Box, and The Camping Episode

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
There actually was a huge shift before Season 4 (since the movie). The original series producer resigned, and a lot of the original writers for the show left as well. The changes ended up leading to less focus on the actual characters, and more focus on the plot. Problem is, it's almost always the characters who make something funny; not the story itself. And as for teens not liking the show, you're wrong. I don't know about where you grew up, but quite a few teens around here DID like it. And I still enjoy watching the oldies; not for nostalgia either. They're still pretty funny, tbh.

Take that from an 18 year old.
Don't get me wrong, the new episodes lost some charm. But that doesn't mean they're any worse. Children still think the show is funny, they can get into it. Maybe it's just not that silly humor we grew up with.

The rules of who watches what aren't set in stone, I was generalizing. But it's not really up for debate, it's Spongebob.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I loved the scene in "the secret box" where spongebob was sneaking towards patrick while patrick was sleeping and every time spongebob took a step earth shattering noises erupted and he finally got the box after Patrick somehow stayed asleep after explosions and earthquakes erupted. Spongeebob whispers something along the lines of "wow Patrick is a heavy sleeper" and Patrick wakes up and yells "what? whos there?" I laughed so much. One of my favorite scenes.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Lol. I have seasons 1-3 on boxset. The movie and seasons 4-current are PURE GARBAGE. WHO DIRECTS THIS NEW $#!+ anyway? Even the voice actors are sounding so bad, and I know they have more talent than what they are currently putting out.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Lol. I have seasons 1-3 on boxset. The movie and seasons 4-current are PURE GARBAGE. WHO DIRECTS THIS NEW $#!+ anyway? Even the voice actors are sounding so bad, and I know they have more talent than what they are currently putting out.

I think you're over exaggerating a bit

kuro06

Smash Cadet
From what I heard the series was suppose to end after the movie, but the series was waaaaay too popular to end so it continued. So most of the writers from the older seasons left, which explains why the newer seasons seem to lose it's charm.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
:laugh:

I was watching the marathon last night, and I saw the episode where SpongeBob and Squidward think Mr. Krabs is a robot.

Gotta love that one;

"Hello, operator, get me the Navy!"
"Hello. You've reached the Navy's automated phone service."
"SQUIDWARD, THE ROBOTS ARE RUNNING THE NAVY!"
"Not the Navy!"

Squidward: SpongeBob, that's not Mr. Krabs! That's robot Krabs!
SpongeBob: Ohhhh, I get it! *slaps Mr. Krabs*
Squidward: SpongeBob, you're supposed to ask him a question first!
SpongeBob: Oh, yeah. (at Mr. Krabs) What color is my underwear? *slaps*

:laugh:

Skler

Smash Master
Spongebob is one of the best shows to ever grace anybody's television set.

I haven't seen all of the movie, but I do catch parts of it on TV every once in a while. The parts I've seen were funny enough, I don't understand the hate for it. It has the Hoff in it, so it should be amazing. It's got to at least be better than Revenge of the Fallen, right?

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Gotta love SpongeBob. It's an amazing show that's proven its worth in its longevity. Still can't believe it's been 10 years though. As for the declining quality, there was a time when I agreed that it dropped off after the movie. But in the last year, after going years without seeing any episodes at all, new or old, I have on two occasions seen some of the newer ones, and I thought they were decent. Not perhaps quite up to the level of the old ones, but I thoroughly enjoyed one that had Patrick in drag as Patricia. Very classy.

Also...

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?" Can't believe how useful this one is in daily conversation.
Band Geeks! THIS: my favorite episode of all time! Thanks for the reminder, Scott.

Top Bottom