• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Spirst

So I've been playing around with teleport ledge cancels to try and make the most use of it. Looking pretty good so far I think.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
No, no it definitely can't.
It can and it will. Dimensional cape despite this atlleast doubles as a powerful attack and a decent utility option for the character though. I also think the gentleman's agreement thing is stupid. people are being cowards and missing out on the chance to learn the mewtwo matchup faster and develop the meta more.It's not like anybody has had enough time with the character to fully master them anyway.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
So I've been playing around with teleport ledge cancels to try and make the most use of it. Looking pretty good so far I think.

That was sick. As for myself, I don't even bother with TP ledge cancels because I figured I'd screw up most of the time, haha.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
On the buffs note: Mewtwo is great as a character already, just some areas need to be polished.

I honestly don't have a problem with fast characters, as long as you punish people with a sliding reverse F-smash( a+b smash) it covers a lot of options. I like to think of Mewtwo as a cruel glass-cannon, spacing and mindgames are everything. If you keep playing a certain way they'll read you the same way Mewtwo reads minds ( read your opponent ). Be unpredictable, change it up every once in a while. You're a psychic type, bend their will like you bend your spoon sword.

I got them really late on the day of his release -.-; But i got them, so...lol

@ Daybreak Daybreak I liked that replay you sent. :3 Nice spike on that silly Pit player.
@ cstonic cstonic Way to turn that match around. xD He didn't see it coming!
There will be more where that came from. :yoshi: If you wanted I could upload some of your videos to my youtube channel; just send a replay my way. I plan on uploading quite an extensive amount of Mewtwo content. If anyone else is interested you are welcome too as well.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
That was sick. As for myself, I don't even bother with TP ledge cancels because I figured I'd screw up most of the time, haha.
The best place to practice is battlefield. The distance of the full teleport can determine how far you go if you teleport straight into the ground. A full hop in the middle of a platform on battlefield will TP cancel right off the platform, and a short hop from the very end of the platform will TP cancel the same distance as well. So whenever I TP cancel on a FD stage or ledge I always think of the distance of the platforms. The distance from the ground or just straight to the ledge is defined by the full distance of the teleport itself as if you full hop you won't travel very far when you hit the ground, while a short hop teleport to the ground teleports you a longer distance. You can also teleport to the ledge straight off the ground which takes some time to get used to.

It's a risky move that can pay off if mastered. I punished quite a bit of people with it.

Edit: The TP Method I have is teleporting straight towards the ground and sliding after making contact after the teleport. You can also do it horizontal or straight depending on your experience.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
The best place to practice is battlefield. The distance of the full teleport can determine how far you go if you teleport straight into the ground. A full hop in the middle of a platform on battlefield will TP cancel right off the platform, and a short hop from the very end of the platform will TP cancel the same distance as well. So whenever I TP cancel on a FD stage or ledge I always think of the distance of the platforms. The distance from the ground or just straight to the ledge is defined by the full distance of the teleport itself as if you full hop you won't travel very far when you hit the ground, while a short hop teleport to the ground teleports you a longer distance. You can also teleport to the ledge straight off the ground which takes some time to get used to.

It's a risky move that can pay off if mastered. I punished quite a bit of people with it.
Interesting. Thanks, I'll start training that after I work on other areas of my Mewtwo. =)

Last edited:

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
On the buffs note: Mewtwo is great as a character already, just some areas need to be polished.

I honestly don't have a problem with fast characters, as long as you punish people with a sliding reverse F-smash( a+b smash) it covers a lot of options. I like to think of Mewtwo as a cruel glass-cannon, spacing and mindgames are everything. If you keep playing a certain way they'll read you the same way Mewtwo reads minds ( read your opponent ). Be unpredictable, change it up every once in a while. You're a psychic type, bend their will like you bend your spoon sword.

There will be more where that came from. :yoshi: If you wanted I could upload some of your videos to my youtube channel; just send a replay my way. I plan on uploading quite an extensive amount of Mewtwo content. If anyone else is interested you are welcome too as well.
I'D LOVE TO! I'll try to send a request your way tonight lol
EDIT:Also, everyone add me pls

Last edited:

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
I'D LOVE TO! I'll try to send a request your way tonight lol
I'm currently out of town for the moment so I can't get your request right away. haha. I'll be back in town sometime tomorrow though so no worries. Send me a private message on here so I can accept your request tomorrow.

Interesting. Thanks, I'll start training that after I work on other areas of my Mewtwo. =)
Definitely, fine tune the basics first. Some people just want to dive in the advanced stuff without having a solid regular game.
It's time to hit the gym
:4littlemac:

TP canceling is all about learning the distance of the TP (whether it's from the air or ground). The platforms from battlefield is the best way for me to measure at the moment, and it's a great way to memorize the distance. From the practice I've put in I can assure you it's not impossible, but it does take work. :lick:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Mewtwo is climbing up the ranks of my fighter record at the speed of light. He's already my 7th most used character. For reference, Lucario is a character I've used since I got the game (October 3) which is like 6 months ago. That means Mewtwo surpassed a character that I've used for 6 months in just 3~4 days. I use Lucario quite a lot too; he was my Brawl main and one of my co-mains in Smash 4 before Mewtwo came out. I've used only Mewtwo (except 1 game of Charizard) ever since I got him. Mewtwo's the best.

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
I'm currently out of town for the moment so I can't get your request right away. haha. I'll be back in town sometime tomorrow though so no worries. Send me a private message on here so I can accept your request tomorrow.

Definitely, fine tune the basics first. Some people just want to dive in the advanced stuff without having a solid regular game.
It's time to hit the gym
:4littlemac:

TP canceling is all about learning the distance of the TP (whether it's from the air or ground). The platforms from battlefield is the best way for me to measure at the moment, and it's a great way to memorize the distance. From the practice I've put in I can assure you it's not impossible, but it does take work. :lick:
Alright cool!

Speaking of little mac, he's pretty tough for Mewtwo...his armor is kinda annoying for him.

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
Mewtwo is climbing up the ranks of my fighter record at the speed of light. He's already my 7th most used character. For reference, Lucario is a character I've used since I got the game (October 3) which is like 6 months ago. That means Mewtwo surpassed a character that I've used for 6 months in just 3~4 days. I use Lucario quite a lot too; he was my Brawl main and one of my co-mains in Smash 4 before Mewtwo came out. I've used only Mewtwo (except 1 game of Charizard) ever since I got him. Mewtwo's the best.
DOOD IKR
I dont know his rank of being used but I know I've been using him more than Sonic. lol

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
Alright cool!

Speaking of little mac, he's pretty tough for Mewtwo...his armor is kinda annoying for him.
I just focus on keeping him away from the middle and or bating him into a reverse- f-smash(a+b). If he just stays back and jabs toss a weak shadow ball and go for a grab. Tilts are decent too depending on the situation, had a great u-tilt juggle on a mac just recently.

Last edited:

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
Hrrgh. Okay guys. Mewtwo got his 4-player smash debut tonight with me and my friends.
...and he got completely trashed. It seems the minute he's thrown into the thick of a 4-player fight there is no more "glass cannon" concept. He's just kind of helpless--easy to juggle, easy to KO, not fast enough to counter the onslaught of various attacks coming at him, etc. And it's only worse when you have someone like Ike on the field.

I have no idea what kind of changes would have to be made to mitigate this glaring flaw...at least, not in terms of gameplay and strategy. But if I were a highly powerful psychic being who was especially vulnerable to physical attacks, I would want absolutely nothing to come within ten feet of me, be it one opponent or multiple. Making Mewtwo hard to approach from all sides (but rewarding it you can) makes the most sense to me. Right now he's pretty easy to toss around.

I'm a little disappointed. Mewtwo's fine in 1v1 but I play Smash Bros as a social thing, so it's mostly 4-player matches unless we decide otherwise. To have a character who's only good at one situation and not the other is tragic.

I hope they fix this somehow, either with an update or his custom moves. It would be shame otherwise.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
For some reason unusually homicidal thoughts enter my mind when someone steals my Mewtwo in Smash Tour...

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
I just focus on keeping him away from the middle and or bating him into a reverse- f-smash(a+b). If he just stays back and jabs toss a weak shadow ball and go for a grab.Tilts are decent too depending on the situation, had a great u-tilt juggle on a mac just recently.
Will def try this the next time I fight him.

I also have trouble with Sonic and Falcon. Any help for those?

That's just the way it is. Sakurai balances some things for FFA and others for 1v1

Rosalina for example is garbage in 4-player smash. Marth and Lucina's Heavy Blade is a move that mostly relies on people being too busy fighting each other to realise you're throwing out slow, power**** attacks, which means its a pretty good move in FFA but terrible in 1v1.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Mewtwo is already my most used fighter on Wii U. It wasn't that hard considering Ness used to be my most used and he only played like 40-50 matches of Smash. Wii U had mostly been used for the 1 player mode whether it's classic, all-star, event, or other things.

Meanwhile, on the 3DS, Ness has over 500 matches logged on. It's going to take a while for Mewtwo to catch up considering I mostly played to get the 50 hours challenge done and most of it was spent using Ness...

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
That's just the way it is. Sakurai balances some things for FFA and others for 1v1

Rosalina for example is garbage in 4-player smash. Marth and Lucina's Heavy Blade is a move that mostly relies on people being too busy fighting each other to realise you're throwing out slow, power**** attacks, which means its a pretty good move in FFA but terrible in 1v1.
I guess so. Oh well.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
Will def try this the next time I fight him.

I also have trouble with Sonic and Falcon. Any help for those?
Spacing and tilts are good, U-tilt especially since it comes in fast and can punish people who role behind you. The reverse F-Smash slide (once again) does the trick as well as they are always charging straight towards you. Punish those non projectile characters with a small shadow ball for the free grab, and if they roll instead that gives you a free punish. If they approach from the air at this point toss in an U-tilt, although timing may vary. U-Smash may be more reliable depending on the timing of Falcon-Kick or Sonic's D-air.

I've been trying to jump out of shield and do a N-air and it works some of the time. Still need more time to work on it as a F-air may be better, but it doesn't cover both sides.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Hrrgh. Okay guys. Mewtwo got his 4-player smash debut tonight with me and my friends.
...and he got completely trashed. It seems the minute he's thrown into the thick of a 4-player fight there is no more "glass cannon" concept. He's just kind of helpless--easy to juggle, easy to KO, not fast enough to counter the onslaught of various attacks coming at him, etc. And it's only worse when you have someone like Ike on the field.

I have no idea what kind of changes would have to be made to mitigate this glaring flaw...at least, not in terms of gameplay and strategy. But if I were a highly powerful psychic being who was especially vulnerable to physical attacks, I would want absolutely nothing to come within ten feet of me, be it one opponent or multiple. Making Mewtwo hard to approach from all sides (but rewarding it you can) makes the most sense to me. Right now he's pretty easy to toss around.

I'm a little disappointed. Mewtwo's fine in 1v1 but I play Smash Bros as a social thing, so it's mostly 4-player matches unless we decide otherwise. To have a character who's only good at one situation and not the other is tragic.

I hope they fix this somehow, either with an update or his custom moves. It would be shame otherwise.
Idk about that. I've been practicing eith both 1 vs 1 and 3-8 player Smash, he's been doing well on both accounts. On 3+ Smash you just need to spam attacks that would be good crowd control like USmash, UTilt and NAir. Any other time I'd air dodge and teleport myself to a space where I have the most advantage to use a FSmash/DSmash or a Shadow Ball. FThrow is great for crowds too.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
Spacing and tilts are good, U-tilt especially since it comes in fast and can punish people who role behind you. The reverse F-Smash slide (once again) does the trick as well as they are always charging straight towards you. Punish those non projectile characters with a small shadow ball for the free grab, and if they roll instead that gives you a free punish. If they approach from the air at this point toss in an U-tilt, although timing may vary. U-Smash may be more reliable depending on the timing of Falcon-Kick or Sonic's D-air.

I've been trying to jump out of shield and do a N-air and it works some of the time. Still need more time to work on it as a F-air may be better, but it doesn't cover both sides.
Edit: Also learn how to fake out with a jump canceled shadowball, it does wonders.
Oops didn't mean to quote myself

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
You gotta get on that ledge cancelling game buddy! When I first started doing it I was concerned with SDing but once I got the hang of it it's just too perfect not to use.

Last edited:

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
You gotta get on that ledge cancelling game buddy! When I first started doing it I was concerned with SDing but once I git the hang of it it's just too perfect not to use.

Agreed! Jump cancelled NAir and DAir as well. That DAir is just so beautiful..
It's a lot of fun, plus you get the slide (from the recoil) on the stage if you're close enough. :)

Do you mean with jump cancel disable (first) then going into a Dair or Nair? Otherwise you can't jump cancel with an aerial 'A' non special attack. The only jump cancels I've seen are Disable, Shadow Ball, somewhat for Confusion (since you get a second jump), and Teleport (if you want to count it as one). So all of Mewtwo's specials can cancel it out in some way or form.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'm just going to correct my earlier post by saying currently Ness has been in 259 battles on 3DS with Greninja being second at 103. Mewtwo is catching up at 9th with 44 battles though.

Ulevo

Smash Master
It can and it will. Dimensional cape despite this atlleast doubles as a powerful attack and a decent utility option for the character though. I also think the gentleman's agreement thing is stupid. people are being cowards and missing out on the chance to learn the mewtwo matchup faster and develop the meta more.It's not like anybody has had enough time with the character to fully master them anyway.
You're wrong. Go in to training mode, take a Smart Bomb, and throw it. Use Dimensional Cape without using the attack, and go in to the explosion. You will find Meta Knight gets hit after he reappears.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
It's a lot of fun, plus you get the slide (from the recoil) on the stage if you're close enough. :)

Do you mean with jump cancel disable (first) then going into a Dair or Nair? Otherwise you can't jump cancel with an aerial 'A' non special attack. The only jump cancels I've seen are Disable, Shadow Ball, somewhat for Confusion (since you get a second jump), and Teleport (if you want to count it as one). So all of Mewtwo's specials can cancel it out in some way or form.
Actually got my terms confused for a second, which is the reason for the edited post haha, long day. I actually meant a fake out that involves a dash > short hop+air dodge > DAir (or NAir), at 130% that DAir can easily KO most opponents, even better when you do it surprisingly; if you immediately short hop and air dodge after a dash, your opponent won't even see you jump as you instantly appear on top of them with a DAir.

Some other things (some minor, some possibly new) that could be helpful if it hasn't been reported yet:

- All his A aerials have an extra lift if you try to DJC (a lot of us know this already but it's good for review, as in jump > double jump+N/F/B/UAir.) This combined with the Shadow Ball glide, Confusion hop and Teleport makes me think this is Mewtwo's game - making use of the space around him in the same way Rosalina can use Luma (obviously not directly similar.)

- His BAir can stage spike. Not sure if this had been reported but when I accidentally did it on FG I was cheering. Knocked the opponent off the ledge with a FTilt and as they were trying to recover I stage spiked them with BAir.

- You slide off of the ledge if you dash towards it with any of the B attacks (except of neutral I assume, haven't tested that.) Could be good for tactics off stage if you want to immediately use Confusion (and Disable I guess but not sure how that could be useful.) Yes, it's basically an extension of the UpB ledge cancel.

- There was another glide I accidentally did that surprised me, I can't renember it off the top of my head but I'll experiment more tomorrow, it's 2am here!

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Guess it's hard to transition from zard and bowser who can survive well past 150%.

Even Meta Knight can live longer then Mewtwo.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
What I think Mewtwo needs in an attack that can hit an enemy behind him. As it is he's got absolutely nothing save for u-tilt.

Also can I go on record and say I'm not a huge fan of his down smash? It's almost exactly like his f-smash, just a little lower (and the extra launching power it supposedly has doesn't count for squat, in my experience. His up smash kills earlier than his down).

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I found out that if you NAir someone that recovers low, you can position yourself so you can easy footstool them!
basically if you make the opponent follow you so the opponent get the last hit before the strong hitbox, you will be able to move before the opponent and score a footstool on the opponent!

at low % the opponent will not follow you completely and miss the strong hitbox, they might get out earlier which makes them able to attack/jump/destroy your footstool (you can recover if you jumpstool their attack tho but they will not fall down)

at higher% the opponent will follow you but you will have to fastfall before the strong hitbox (the timing needs to be perfect at the fastfall)

it might be an expert tech, but its worth learning in my opinion :3

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Mewtwo feels... extremely underwhelming.
People keep calling him a "glass canon" on the boards, but i honestly don't see the supposed "canon" aspect.

No reliable (true) combos, unsafe hitboxes (upsmash and fair visually hit, but sometimes just go through my opponents, and they can sometimes just DI out of upsmashs' first hits), nerfed up & backthrow, terrible landing lag on most aerials, teleport feels much worse than in melee, slow walking speed, slow falling speed, second lightest character (from what i've read in the threads), wonky second jump, landing confusion on your opponent doesn't do any good (except if they are noobs who can't react to it), disable is hard to land, no custom moves, etc etc etc

So far, the only good things i can say about him are his voice (SO GLAD it's his melee voice), confusion ACTUALLY reflecting projectiles, awesome new victory poses, awesome new taunts, and that sexy new 3D-model (no more swollen head).
...of course none of these (except the confusion part) will help him competitively.

Oh well, i'll still main him.
I've waited 14 years (melee came out in 2001, right?) for him to return, and now that he's there i'll stay dedicated.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I found out that if you NAir someone that recovers low, you can position yourself so you can easy footstool them!
basically if you make the opponent follow you so the opponent get the last hit before the strong hitbox, you will be able to move before the opponent and score a footstool on the opponent!

at low % the opponent will not follow you completely and miss the strong hitbox, they might get out earlier which makes them able to attack/jump/destroy your footstool (you can recover if you jumpstool their attack tho but they will not fall down)

at higher% the opponent will follow you but you will have to fastfall before the strong hitbox (the timing needs to be perfect at the fastfall)

it might be an expert tech, but its worth learning in my opinion :3
Alpharad did that in his How To Play Mewtwo 101, correct?

Top Bottom