• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I downloaded and played the demo for S&M. Gotta say that one of my favorite new features is the Pokemon Riding mechanic, after completing the demo I gained access to Tauros which can charge to break rocks in it's path and goes faster than the bike itself, and it's surprisingly easy to control. You can access Pokemon Rides at any time at almost any place without needing to have them in your party. It seems that this mechanic completely replaces HMs and your bike, which is pretty awesome and streamlines the experience in a neat way. There are some timed events which will require me to go back to play it a couple of times, for example; an event involving a young woman meeting a man will happen in 5 days, another man wants to celebrate it's Pikachu's birthday which is in 12 days, etc. so I'll have to go there and see what kind of event will unfold.

Regarding Z-moves, I managed to use the Electric Type one (forgot the name) and it's base power depends on the electric move your pokemon has. For example, if you have Thunderbolt in your moveset, it's power becomes 175; if you have Nuzzle, the move has 100 base power and becomes physical; with Electro Ball it is Special with a 160 base power.
Some people have data-mined the demo and managed to find interesting data. If you don't care about getting spoiled, go ahead and give it a read.

Edit: The attack will probably be quite monstrous if the Pikachu/Raichu has Volt Tackle in their moveset.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Is it just another coincidence that competitive discussion happens and this game also happens to show some promise in that regard?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Well, that's weird. A Bowser Amiibo was in my mailbox. There was no sender nor any other kind of information attached, I don't know who send it, perhaps a friend? I need to do some digging. Anyways, I got a free Bowser Amiibo, yay!

So, um, how is it going?

In Omega Ruby, I managed to reach 1750 points with my team, it's a new record for me. Has anyone seen the final evos of the Alola starters?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm copy/pasting my quick thoughts on the new Sun/Moon trailer from elsewhere.

- Decidueye looks a lot better than I thought it would based off that concept art leak. Ghost typing is a nice surprise. I'm definitely sold on Team Rowlet now.

- Say what you will about Incineroar, but that Pokemon has some personality to it. I actually wasn't surprised by the dark typing, I already figured they wouldn't pull out another fire/fighting type after the fan outlash at Emboar.

- Primaria's okay, I guess. It's good to have another fairy for compeitive play. That signature move though...it better have high base power or something, or it's getting the bench for Scald or Hydro Pump.

- Tapu Lele and Bulu are kind of disappointments after Tapu Koko was so cool. Tapu Fini is alright though.

- I love that Z-move though.

- Cosmog's reveal was kind of random. After the starters and legendaries, it's kind of easy to forget that it was part of the reveal.

- Alolan Persian is alright I guess. I still prefer the original.

- I like the idea of the Battle Tree. Is it going to be the main focus of the post game, like the Battle Frontier was?

- "What do you say, Red?"
"... ... ..."

...Man, where is everyone? This thread use to be crazy active before the DLC first dropped.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Primaria's move could be easily like Wake-Up Slap or Smellingsalts, but for burns. At any rate, it's only real niche is countering Guts users.

I get the feeling they wanted to make Decidueye the Dark type, but changed it so that Incineroar could be it instead. The latter's roar is beastly, though.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I get the feeling they wanted to make Decidueye the Dark type, but changed it so that Incineroar could be it instead. The latter's roar is beastly, though.
I actually think Ghost makes a lot more sense for Decidueye than Dark, being an Owl and all.

Not that the dark type is the "evil" type in Japanese. Ghost type is usually associated more with hiding in the shadows and whatnot.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Definitely picking Rowlett of course.

Also, Dediceuye is Grass Takumi, a character from Fire Emblem Fates.
Even more so because of the ghost type.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So Crogunk is confirmed for Pokken. It seems like it's kind of a silly character, with it's Dedede crouch and whatnot. How's everyone feel about it?

I don't really care much for it but this thread needs activity.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I gave my copy of Pokken to my sister since I quickly lost interest in it (never was a fan of traditional fighters) but as a concept, I can see Croagunk working. I think Toxicroak would have worked better but I can still see the first form working. Most of my favourite Pokemon aren't really fit for Pokken. The Eeveelutions, Vulpix, Gyarados, Muk. Pikachu is in though I only really care about Pika because of Smash. Doubt Raichu will get in. The Eeveelutions could arguably work since Suicune is in but that's a legendary and a version mascot whereas none of the Eeveelutions stand out above any other save for Eevee itself being the starter of your rival in Yellow. Pretty sure Eevee is a support Pokemon anyways. Swampert could also work and...this is purely off memory but is Swampert the only final form of a Hoenn starter that isn't in Pokken? I know Blaziken is in and I believe Sceptile is too though I may be thinking of a different grass type. Don't think Arbok or Dragonair would work too well either though Sandslash could work. Could even work in its Alolan form.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So Crogunk is confirmed for Pokken. It seems like it's kind of a silly character, with it's Dedede crouch and whatnot. How's everyone feel about it?

I don't really care much for it but this thread needs activity.
I'll give a damn when we actually get confirmation for any of these DLC coming to console.

Beyond that, the other reason I don't care much for newcomers is that, well... the game's just not very well designed. All that diversity becomes moot when you realize every match boils down to who zones better and/or makes more correct guesses in rock, paper, scissors. There's a good concept in there and potential for fun, but too many frustrating aspects bring it down.

• Defence is terrible, because blocking sucks without any viable reversal. As a result very few moves can be punished by it.
  • Nonexistent wakeup game. Whether you've been knocked down or ejected, you can't do anything to dissuade the opponent from following closely... not even tech your landings! This reduces you to, again, playing rock, paper scissors just for a chance to fight back.
  • Infinite combos are rampant. Seems as though the developers took the phase shifting as a blank check to not bother checking for them beyond basic stunlocks in field phase (except for that one blockstring that was so bad they had to patch it immediately).

And that's not getting into specific balance issues.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Well then, let's hope that the rumored port of Pokken for the Switch is true and brings updated gameplay and the new characters.
I hope they include Cloud Strife next time! He is a Pokemon like Cp. Falcon, right?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't have much faith in a port fixing the global issues with the game. Much rather just wait for a sequel

And things from Monster Hunter would be a much better fit for crossovers. They both have a presence in arcades in Japan, no?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Eh, I was kidding about that.

Anyways, have you guys seen the Pokemon Generations mini episodes? They are pretty interesting and fun to watch.
One of my favorites focuses on Mega Rayquaza and Deoxy's battle in space after breaking the falling meteor.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Eh, I was kidding about that.

Anyways, have you guys seen the Pokemon Generations mini episodes? They are pretty interesting and fun to watch.
One of my favorites focuses on Mega Rayquaza and Deoxy's battle in space after breaking the falling meteor.
I really like Origins and generations. They are both well done, and I like watching "canon" stories, but updated.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh yeah, I thought the Kyogre one was pretty good to.

And I expected the Cheryl and Chansey episode to just be some cheesy ghost story or whatever, but it was actually pretty good considering what it is.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You know, that Kyogre definitely killed Archie and his team. No way they survived that.
And yes, I know that in the mainstream Pokemon anime people survive all kinds of crap, like Team Rocket falling from a tall building and even making a hole on the ground upon impact, but due to the more realistic and mature nature of this shorts I'm just gonna assume that that Kyogre chomped them whole.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Origins & Generations feels a lot like the manga IMO, good amounts of character development and making the Pokemon World feel big and continuous. Locker showing up in Kanto & Johto put a smile on my face.

Also that episode with Cheryl & Chansey, I don't know what was scarier: the ghosts or their faces. I swear for a couple seconds I thought I was watching a hentai.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Origins & Generations feels a lot like the manga IMO, good amounts of character development and making the Pokemon World feel big and continuous. Locker showing up in Kanto & Johto put a smile on my face.

Also that episode with Cheryl & Chansey, I don't know what was scarier: the ghosts or their faces. I swear for a couple seconds I thought I was watching a hentai.
Don't you mean Looker?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, that Kyogre definitely killed Archie and his team. No way they survived that.
And yes, I know that in the mainstream Pokemon anime people survive all kinds of crap, like Team Rocket falling from a tall building and even making a hole on the ground upon impact, but due to the more realistic and mature nature of this shorts I'm just gonna assume that that Kyogre chomped them whole.
I doubt that Team Aqua got killed by Primal Kyogre, because in AlphaSapphire, everyone does survive after Kyogre has been caught or calmed down. You do have to wonder if Pokemon Generations and the mainstream Pokemon titles are conflicting with each other though.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been stressed, then got Dark Souls 3 and haven't smashed in a while. If anyone wants to talk DS3 I'm up to the poison swamp.

My kitten Arwen has a ridgeback when she's scared; it's so cute.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Kind of surprised this thread hasn't been more active given Sun/Moon's release tomorrow. Anyone want to share what teams they're using? Personally I'm looking at:

Primarina
Lycanroc (Day)
Salandit
Raichu
Exeggutor
Ninetails

I'm surprised they're putting Zygarde in the first promo image instead of the version mascots. If Sun is getting Litten, that probably means Moon will get Rowlet.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, you can see Solgaleo on the left if you look closely :p.

That aside, I don't understand this fervor over trying to plot your team in advance (unless we are strictly talking competitive). No reason to make an already generally easy game easier like that. That's why I'm just going in mostly blind (the starter, Rowlet in my case, is the only one that warrants study. Anything else Pokemon-related is a bit overkill).

The Pokemon Pelago allowing for passive levelling is a real gamechanger (the Day Care is replaced by the Nursery, which is strictly for breeding now). The whole concept feels lifted from Monster Hunter 4's Sunsnug Island for Palicoes (or the more recent Palico Ranch in Generations). Grinding new Pokemon up to scratch, even with the new Exp. Share, was a chore, so hopefully this lets (temporarily) benched Pokemon somewhat keep pace.

However, I'll probably not get Sun until Christmas, when I can hopefully get a New 3DS for better performance on this and Monster Hunter.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I've looked up moves, abilities, and stats, but beyond that everything else is blind (not that it really effected my decisions). I haven't looked at locations yet, so I'm just hoping that I'm not screwing myself over by having a team that comes late game (granted that would make things harder). lol

Do we even get Exp. Share in this game? IDK pleasedon'tanswerthat

I can see the attraction in having a purely blind run, but team building I think is the main reason Pokemon games are so endearing both casually/competitively and have such a high replay value.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh, team building is great. Just not on your first playthrough of a given generation/game. Good way to develop tunnel vision regarding new Pokemon.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Looks like I won't be able to get Sun right at release.

Welp...I guess I'm gonna be spending a lot of time on Pokemon Showdown for the next few days or so to fill the void.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It's released today, but I'm unable to go out today due to having duty. I don't even know if the military store will have any in stock since they'll be the only ones selling US region games.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just got my copy, but I'm hitting myself over for forgetting to pick up the Genesect codes. Sorry MewtwoMaster2002 MewtwoMaster2002 . :(

Oh, team building is great. Just not on your first playthrough of a given generation/game. Good way to develop tunnel vision regarding new Pokemon.
Tunnel Vision? That's kind of pessimistic, but then again everyone looks as specific Pokemon differently. Personally there's always a surplus of Pokemon I want to use that I save for future runs. :laugh:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
This is the first generation I'm skipping entirely. Didn't like the direction Gen V started with and didn't like gen VI's at all. Not expecting gen VII to be any better. I will probably check out Showdown in a few weeks to see how the competitive scene has changed. Hopefully better than the hilarity that was gen V's meta. Ninetails and Politoad everywhere lol. Gen VI's was okay but mega evolution is meh. One thing that would immediately peak my interest back into the series would be if they brought back challenge mode from Black/White 2 and even better if it's available at the start and for both versions. A gen IV remake may also get me back into the series.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Is anyone else disturbed with how Zygarde was handled? I checked out its data, and its Complete Forme definitely feels underwhelming if it's no better with using physical attacks than the 10% Forme.

Also, Talonflame got hit very hard, as Gale Wings no longer offers increased priority for Flying-type moves, "unless" it has 100% of its maximum HP. That pretty much means that it's no longer a guaranteed counter against Blaziken and Mega Blaziken if you can't keep it from taking damage.

And for some extra trivia, Machamp is the only Pokemon who can learn Strength in the 7th generation.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Is anyone else disturbed with how Zygarde was handled? I checked out its data, and its Complete Forme definitely feels underwhelming if it's no better with using physical attacks than the 10% Forme.
Not really, its HP stat is an absurd 216. 216/121/95 defense stats incredible, and 100 attack is still viable. It could be an absolutely terrifying bulky dragon dancer, even if it's not an immediate nuke.

Edit:....Hold on, I just checked and Dragon Dance isn't legal with Power Construct. Neither is Extreme Speed, so coil tanking doesn't look like a real alternative. Seriously Gamefreak?
Also, Talonflame got hit very hard, as Gale Wings no longer offers increased priority for Flying-type moves, "unless" it has 100% of its maximum HP. That pretty much means that it's no longer a guaranteed counter against Blaziken and Mega Blaziken if you can't keep it from taking damage.
If you wanna get technically, it's a check. Blazikens running Stone Edge can easily KO it on the swap in.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not really, its HP stat is an absurd 216. 216/121/95 defense stats incredible, and 100 attack is still viable. It could be an absolutely terrifying bulky dragon dancer, even if it's not an immediate nuke.

Edit:....Hold on, I just checked and Dragon Dance isn't legal with Power Construct. Neither is Extreme Speed, so coil tanking doesn't look like a real alternative. Seriously Gamefreak?
There is an item called the Zygarde Cube, which can eventually teach Zygarde Dragon Dance and Extreme Speed, though there's no information about the Zygarde dilemma yet.

Still, the Complete Forme is underwhelming for a Pokemon who's supposed to exceed the powers of Xerneas and Yveltal.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There is an item called the Zygarde Cube, which can eventually teach Zygarde Dragon Dance and Extreme Speed, though there's no information about the Zygarde dilemma yet.
...Oh. I was looking at the "transfer only moves" section on Serebii and assumed that meant they got rid of it altogether.
Still, the Complete Forme is underwhelming for a Pokemon who's supposed to exceed the powers of Xerneas and Yveltal.
Mostly just because it has to get under 50% health first. I think it'd be an easy uber if it didn't have that limitation, just because its bulk is so ridiculous. Its physical bulk is absolutely incredible, and it's not screwed over in any of its other stats.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Still, you don't get much benefit from the Complete Forme, even with the increased base HP. You'd probably get more from the 10% Forme, simply because it outspeeds more things.

I guess I'm just feeling sour because I was expecting the Complete Forme to be a more serious threat offensively; it is the Order Pokemon after all.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Now that the Showdown metagame is starting to stabilize a little bit...holy frick, 100% Zygarde is more terrifying then even I imagined from it's stats. It takes forever to bring down, can set up DD and Coil like nobody's business, access to extreme speed, and a move that's basically earthquake but super effective against Skarmory.

Having to get under 50% health doesn't even actually hold it back, thanks to how the transformation mechanics work. It only maintains damage taken, so an attack that'd 2HKO an aura break Zygarde will only be a 3HKO or 4HKO on one with power construct. Even 10% form can screw you over by using its high speed and substitute to get up some free coils before its transformation after forcing a swap out with its great typing. I had no way to deal with that - my defensive mons were set up fodder(even the likes of Mega Venusaur with its respectable special attack) and my only offensive mon(Tapu Koko) couldn't deal with it behind a sub, even though it could usually outspeed it and bring it down with HP Ice.

They didn't make the same mistake with this guy that they made with Black Kyurem - I doubt this is staying in OU when it's so hard to stop.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Dammit, I haven't looked into Perfect Cell- I mean, Zygard yet.

Anyways, speaking of the meta, GF went crazy giving a bunch of weather abilities and I think that mah boi Pelipper hit jackpot. It got Drizzle and a slight stat increase and it has the movepool to abuse it's newfound power like Hurricane! I'm so excited since for the first time Pelipper is actually viable!

It could ride a defensive or an offensive set. A good example of a moveset could be:

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

A slow U-turn is good because it allows Pelipper to bring in Pokemon safely that take advantage of the rain, like Kabutops. Roost is good for longevity. Now put this guy on the same team as Tapu Koko or Alola Raichu... man, my mouth is watering at the possibilities! And unlike Politoed, it doesn't fear grass types that much because Hurricane!!! (Seriously, 100% accurate Hurricanes though!)
So you bring in Pelipper, U-turn into Tapu Koko whose ability triggers Electric Terrain. Now, all of your electric moves are boosted 50% and you are free to shoot accurate Thunders for a few turns. Sweet Baby Jesus.
Oh, and Alola Raichu gets it's speed doubled in electric terrain and can use Thunder as well.

Ok, moving on. Speaking of the single player experience in S/M so far... for me this is the most fun I'm having playing the main campaign. GF really did their best to attempt to make changes without losing it's identity and I say it worked. The trials are much more fun to me than the Gym challenges ever were, and the story and characters have made me get invested and care much more about the world around it. Getting rid of HMs was one the best things to have happened in the series as well, no more tediously carrying a pokemon just for the sake of getting around when you can ride Lapras, Tauros, Stoutland, Charizard, etc. at the press of a button and without them being in your party. Also, whenever you catch a pokemon you can check it's summary and either send to the box or add it to your party in exchange for one of your current team members. It just have become so convenient, streamlined and accessible. There is also more challenge that before since that second trial's Totem Pokemon battle (school form Wishiwashi) actually gave me trouble, fainted two of my pokemon and was hard to take down. I was pleasantly surprised. For people who felt tired about the pokemon formula, I recommend this games since it just feels so unique and fresh.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Dammit, I haven't looked into Perfect Cell- I mean, Zygard yet.

Anyways, speaking of the meta, GF went crazy giving a bunch of weather abilities and I think that mah boi Pelipper hit jackpot. It got Drizzle and a slight stat increase and it has the movepool to abuse it's newfound power like Hurricane! I'm so excited since for the first time Pelipper is actually viable!

It could ride a defensive or an offensive set. A good example of a moveset could be:

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

A slow U-turn is good because it allows Pelipper to bring in Pokemon safely that take advantage of the rain, like Kabutops. Roost is good for longevity. Now put this guy on the same team as Tapu Koko or Alola Raichu... man, my mouth is watering at the possibilities! And unlike Politoed, it doesn't fear grass types that much because Hurricane!!! (Seriously, 100% accurate Hurricanes though!)

Ok, moving on. Speaking of the single player experience in S/M so far... for me this is the most fun I'm having playing the main campaign. GF really did their best to attempt to make changes without losing it's identity and I say it worked. The trials are much more fun to me than the Gym challenges ever were, and the story and characters have made me get invested and care much more about the world around it. Getting rid of HMs was one the best things to have happened in the series as well, no more tediously carrying a pokemon just for the sake of getting around when you can ride Lapras, Tauros, Stoutland, Charizard, etc. at the press of a button and without them being in your party. Also, whenever you catch a pokemon you can check it's summary and either send to the box or add it to your party in exchange for one of your current team members. It just have become so convenient, streamlined and accessible. For people who felt tired about the pokemon formula, I recommend this games since it just feels so unique and fresh.
Are these challenges even the slightest bit difficult? Like, do you need to think or can you get away spamming A/your most powerful move? I'm guessing you're not too far since the game has only been out for 2 days and therefore the difficulty at your point likely isn't anything too high. Granted, the last time Pokemon was 'difficult' was gen V and before that, gen II was 'difficult' and gen I was mostly just broken rather than difficult.

Also, is the Exp. Share still basically easy mode? And do you still get exp just for catching Pokemon? I also recall gen VI having it where if you make 2 Pokemon get exp for defeating 1 Pokemon, they'd both get full exp rather than them splitting it like previous gens. Is that still a thing? Sorry for asking so much. You're just the first person I've seen express their opinion on the single player, which is what I mostly cared for in Pokemon. Didn't get S/M at launch because I'm expecting a disappointment like gen VI.

Seeing all this enthusiasm for the competitive scene is nice at least. Watched 2 matches on Showdown and I'll have to do some research on abilities and moves to fully grasp what the new Pokemon are doing or being used for. Never was one for competitive Pokemon but watching it is fun...except for gen V...

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Are these challenges even the slightest bit difficult? Like, do you need to think or can you get away spamming A/your most powerful move? I'm guessing you're not too far since the game has only been out for 2 days and therefore the difficulty at your point likely isn't anything too high. Granted, the last time Pokemon was 'difficult' was gen V and before that, gen II was 'difficult' and gen I was mostly just broken rather than difficult.

Also, is the Exp. Share still basically easy mode? And do you still get exp just for catching Pokemon? I also recall gen VI having it where if you make 2 Pokemon get exp for defeating 1 Pokemon, they'd both get full exp rather than them splitting it like previous gens. Is that still a thing? Sorry for asking so much. You're just the first person I've seen express their opinion on the single player, which is what I mostly cared for in Pokemon. Didn't get S/M at launch because I'm expecting a disappointment like gen VI.

Seeing all this enthusiasm for the competitive scene is nice at least. Watched 2 matches on Showdown and I'll have to do some research on abilities and moves to fully grasp what the new Pokemon are doing or being used for. Never was one for competitive Pokemon but watching it is fun...except for gen V...
I just edited this in my previous post but here goes anyways.
I've cleared three trials already, but the second one was really something. You face against the Totem Pokemon Wishiwashi in school form, as soon as the battle begins it augments it's defense and because of it's natural bulk it became hard to take down. I attempted to use Dire Hit and Razor Leaf combo to power through but it took less damage than expected. The real kicker for me was when it summoned a partner a second time, an Alomomola, who started restoring HP with Heal Pulse. It was also raining so the pokemon's water attacks dealt more damage. I had to take down the Alomomola first if I wanted to stand a chance and while trying Wishiwashi ended knocking out two of my pokemon. I had to play more conservatively which is something I've rarely done in previous pokemon games. I really loved it. I welcomed the change of pace that it ended up giving me.
Edit: One more thing about that battle. Wishiwashi loved using Soak on me, turning my pokemon into water types thus losing my STAB. Alomomola also had Helping Hand.
By the way, at a certain point you battle the Captain of the first trial, Ilima. The second battle against him also took me by surprise since he used his Z-power to increase the stats on his Gumshoos, which took out some of my pokemon in one or two hits. So I would say that I feel that there is more challenge this time around.

Another edit: I've heard from some people that the Lurantis Totem battle is actually harder.

Edit: About the Exp. Share, not entirely sure if it works exactly the same as in X/Y. I have used it to level up my weaker pokemon, but so far I haven't been horribly overleveled. And yes, you still get Exp. from catching pokes.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I just edited this in my previous post but here goes anyways.
I've cleared three trials already, but the second one was really something. You face against the Totem Pokemon Wishiwashi in school form, as soon as the battle begins it augments it's defense and because of it's natural bulk it became hard to take down. I attempted to use Dire Hit and Razor Leaf combo to power through but it took less damage than expected. The real kicker for me was when it summoned a partner a second time, an Alomomola, who started restoring HP with Heal Pulse. It was also raining so the pokemon's water attacks dealt more damage. I had to take down the Alomomola first if I wanted to stand a chance and while trying Wishiwashi ended knocking out two of my pokemon. I had to play more conservatively which is something I've rarely done in previous pokemon games. I really loved it. I welcomed the change of pace that it ended up giving me.
By the way, at a certain point you battle the Captain of the first trial, Ilima. The second battle against him also took me by surprise since he used his Z-power to increase the stats on his Gumshoos, which took out some of my pokemon in one or two hits. So I would say that I feel that there is more challenge this time around.
The very thought of a Pokemon summoning another raises an eyebrow. Like, if it becomes a 2v1 or if it's like the summoned Pokemon substitutes the summoner. Hearing that the second boss is bulky and actually difficult to take down sounds nice though it only means so much depending on its moveset.

There's still the whole exp issue but I can always just look into that on my own since it's more of a mechanic thing than an opinion. The fact that you had any Pokemon faint so early makes it sound like a good choice for a nuzlocke. The lack of HMs is definitely a blessing though I can't form an opinion on the whole Pokemon riding thing since my experience is limited to the rather pointless moments X/Y had of it.

I'll probably wait till I hear a few more opinions from people, especially after beating the main game before deciding if I'll buy it or not. Though I'm gonna be really stingy on that since Pokemon is one of those franchises that gets praise no matter how poor an entry is.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The very thought of a Pokemon summoning another raises an eyebrow. Like, if it becomes a 2v1 or if it's like the summoned Pokemon substitutes the summoner. Hearing that the second boss is bulky and actually difficult to take down sounds nice though it only means so much depending on its moveset.

There's still the whole exp issue but I can always just look into that on my own since it's more of a mechanic thing than an opinion. The fact that you had any Pokemon faint so early makes it sound like a good choice for a nuzlocke. The lack of HMs is definitely a blessing though I can't form an opinion on the whole Pokemon riding thing since my experience is limited to the rather pointless moments X/Y had of it.

I'll probably wait till I hear a few more opinions from people, especially after beating the main game before deciding if I'll buy it or not. Though I'm gonna be really stingy on that since Pokemon is one of those franchises that gets praise no matter how poor an entry is.
I can vouch for the utility of Pokemon Ride. The implementation in X/Y was poor and very limited to certain areas, but the potential it introduced initially has been fully realized in S/M. You summon them pretty much anywhere and anytime except inside buildings. Charizard replaces Fly entirely, Tauros and Stoutland replace your bike with the former charging at high speed and breaking rocks in a similar way as Rock Smash while the latter doubles as a Dowsing Machine. Lapras is for surfing and fishing pokemon while on it's back. Those are the ones I've gotten so far, but from what I've seen Sharpedo surfs faster, jumps and breaks rocks which may allow you to reach other areas and Mudsdale climbs rocky terrain (I've yet to get this one). It's one of the best features in the entirety of the pokemon series.
Speaking of fishing, you now can only fish in certain spots in bodies on water. When you get close, a buttom prompt comes up, you press A and start fishing. No need to rummage into your bag to manually use the fishing rod like before. You can do so while riding on Lapras or on the edge of a lake, as long as the spot allows for fishing of course. At times, you also get items like Heart Scales and Pearls instead of pokemon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom