• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm hoping for:

-Disable Buff
-Confusion Buff
-Hopefully a decent amount heavier
-Good knock back on Shadow Ball
-I would love to see a down throw to Confusion combo into something awesome
-Male voice (Watched the move last night with Female Mewtwo, I didn't used to care, but now I have a preference)
- Act out of Teleport

Just a few things, I'm imagining they've already been talked about but I've missed a good 50 pages of this thing since the Direct.. Nice to be back and talk for a bit!

@U-Throw LOVE the profile picture.
Confusion buff has already happened, it's not useless anymore

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Very good! In recognition of all your contributions to this board, I extend to you the privilege of being one of my four Horsemen of the Mewpocalypse. Pick the throw you wish to represent. U-throw is already taken, of course.
Same goes to @NonSpecificGuy.
How about Shadow Barrage? If not a throw, then Galaxy Force!

Range

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2079-7847-2811
Hooray, we're on page Bayleef!

I don't even like Bayleef.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
As a genwunner, I've always liked the simple explanation found in the ruins of Cinnabar mansion: "Feb. 6: Mew gave birth. We named the child Mewtwo."
When you say genwunner, do you mean genwunner as in "Kanto is my favorite region!" Or genwunner as is "1st Generation is the only good one and all the other ones suck!!!"

Not criticizing or anything, I'd just be wary of throwing that word around, as it can be construed multiple ways...

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
To all the Melee veterans here: on a scale of one to ten, how much did it bug you when D-throw didn't spike offstage opponents?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm hoping for:

-Disable Buff
-Confusion Buff
-Hopefully a decent amount heavier
-Good knock back on Shadow Ball
-I would love to see a down throw to Confusion combo into something awesome
-Male voice (Watched the move last night with Female Mewtwo, I didn't used to care, but now I have a preference)
- Act out of Teleport

Just a few things, I'm imagining they've already been talked about but I've missed a good 50 pages of this thing since the Direct.. Nice to be back and talk for a bit!

@U-Throw LOVE the profile picture.
  1. Done (mewtwo is crouching this time when he uses it, and by what im looking at its a shockwave like attack now,)
  2. Done (you don't fall when confusion is used in the air, also projectiles become mewtwos if you reflect, and assume it will be easier to reflect projectiles/items as well.)
  3. Will be heavier but floatyiness of mewtwo stays put obviously.
  4. Would not be surprised if knockback is better with that
  5. In the trailer he did a down throw then a up smash combo so pretty good chance
  6. In some parts of the trailer speculation on hearing mewtwo grunt like in melee
  7. Can't determine if its air dodge or something else right now.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Tbh, I don't think Mewtwo will be that great of a character competitively. Nowhere near Melee, but I feel like he'll end up around where Toon Link was in Brawl. He just seems like such a flawed character by design, being tall and lightweight, that it reminds me of Palutena in a lot of ways. Awesome debut trailer, broken looking up smash, mobility shown, and a safe teleporting recovery. But then the game drops and nobody bothers exploring the character. Now people think Palutena is low tier garbage without customs.
Mewtwo, however, is different. By day 1 we could already have a matchup chart for him given the amount of people who are going to try to main him. Any techs he has will be discovered ludicrously fast.
What I'm saying is that he's going to come off as a solid character, but suffer from Captain Falcon Syndrome. Everyone uses him for a while and then online there will be mostly scrubs using him, with the occasional balls-to-the-wall 0-death wombo combo offstage Knee-> 360 Falcon Punch Zero-level player.
I wouldn't count Mewtwo out just yet. Large and light is an obstacle, but not an insurmountable one, as shown by the very tall and super floaty Rosalina. Even if Mewtwo's weight isn't increased, good mobility, powerful grab game, improved specials, useful recovery, and a decent projectile are all incredibly valuable tools. He could absolutely end up being a solid contender in competitive play if he's good enough at the game he plays, which is a weird, grappler style. I doubt he'll be a tippy-top tier world destroyer, but with the improved balance of this game and confirmed buffs to Mr. 150, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the top half or even third of the cast. I expect viability and count on fun for playing as the Genetic Pokemon.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
one of the things i miss from melee Mewtwo was his idle animation, it's a little bit different in smash 4, and it does not look as epic.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
When you say genwunner, do you mean genwunner as in "Kanto is my favorite region!" Or genwunner as is "1st Generation is the only good one and all the other ones suck!!!"

Not criticizing or anything, I'd just be wary of throwing that word around, as it can be construed multiple ways...
I just use the term to make the point I played the ORIGINAL game. So while it does hold a special place in my heart, it doesn't make every other iteration automatically inferior.
I guess I'm just proud to be part of the first generation (cue Star Trek theme.)

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Serious question guys? You don't suppose that Mewtwo will cause a lot of people to drop their current mains and prevent a large amount of characters from being used very often any longer, do you?
I mean, I know Mewtwo is popular and all...but it would break my heart if I stopped seeing other characters being played in Smash.

SuperLarno

Smash Rookie
Serious question guys? You don't suppose that Mewtwo will cause a lot of people to drop their current mains and prevent a large amount of characters from being used very often any longer, do you?
I mean, I know Mewtwo is popular and all...but it would break my heart if I stopped seeing other characters being played in Smash.
Hopefully not.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Remember Link in Mario Kart 8?
It'll be like that. Mewtwo's everywhere for a while and then it all goes back to normal but with the odd Mewtwo thrown in somewhere.

CeruleanFlow

Smash Cadet
NNID
CeruleanFlow
I know personally I will continue to use AT LEAST Fox and C. Falc as well, I will just use Mewtwo a lot I think. Let's get past the first week of his release, and then I think we will see people revert back to their old mains when they can't use him as well as they would like.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I just use the term to make the point I played the ORIGINAL game. So while it does hold a special place in my heart, it doesn't make every other iteration automatically inferior.
I guess I'm just proud to be part of the first generation (cue Star Trek theme.)
This is how I feel. I've loved every generation of Pokemon in its own way. My favorite mons include Dragonite, Altaria, and Talonflame, among others, so I don't discriminate one bit. All the same, I hold a hearty and special nostalgia for the original 151 and the Kanto region. Part of the reason I like Mewtwo so much: he was THE boss back then. I remember hucking Ultra Balls at him for entire car trips out of refusal to use the Master Ball, bringing backup AA batteries for the inevitable power drains.
I doubt it. Smash is an incredibly favoritism based game. Battle effectiveness plays a part, but most folks like to use who they like.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
i feel like if might happen for the month, then it will die down

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Yeah, I kinda have fears that this will happen.

I mean, I don't really care about it as much if its a deal like: "I mained this guy in Melee; now, after so long, it'ss finally back, so I'll switch back to my original main. :D"

But I'd rather not see new blood go like "OMG MEWTWO; FORGET EVERYONE ELSE".

There's a lot of legit cases in between these two extremes-- don't get me wrong-- but I really don't want to see a lotta people who didn't have the intent before of wanting to play Mewtwo suddenly dropping who they'd otherwise main in favor of it once it releases.

As with a lot of hyped things, though, we'll see a crapton of it for a while, then it'll die down. In that initial hype-wave, though, I'm pretty sure Mewtwo will probably attain the lowest For Glory win-rate xD.

-Also, Sonic is personally my favorite game character of all time. My ties to him are far too strong for me to stop maining him.

*Oh look, my alert box tells me U-Throw's online. :3

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Remember Link in Mario Kart 8?
It'll be like that. Mewtwo's everywhere for a while and then it all goes back to normal but with the odd Mewtwo thrown in somewhere.
I know personally I will continue to use AT LEAST Fox and C. Falc as well, I will just use Mewtwo a lot I think. Let's get past the first week of his release, and then I think we will see people revert back to their old mains when they can't use him as well as they would like.
I doubt it. Smash is an incredibly favoritism based game. Battle effectiveness plays a part, but most folks like to use who they like.
i feel like if might happen for the month, then it will die down
Thanks guys <3
There's this really awesome Greninja player I know, named @Spirst, I asked him a similar question regarding his main and he said that Greninja would not be forgotten.
Thank goodness. :3

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I don't see myself dropping Shulk, Lucina or Robin.
Mewtwo will fit in nicely alongside them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It'll most likely drop off after a month, hence the influx of new people to this board in the past week (you know who you are :p), assuming Mewtwo doesn't have a waifu fanbase like the anime character boards.

The only way it'll stay up is if Mewtwo is like Diddy/Sheik in terms of being a low risk high reward character. People play to win after all.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
It'll most likely drop off after a month, hence the influx of new people to this board in the past week (you know who you are :p), assuming Mewtwo doesn't have a waifu fanbase like the anime character boards.

The only way it'll stay up is if Mewtwo is like Diddy/Sheik in terms of being a low risk high reward character. People play to win after all.
this is exactly why I want Mewtwo to stay as he was in Melee...

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I've been planning on maining Mewtwo ever since the 54facts extravaganza (before Smash4 Wii U came out), but i'll still keep playing as Charizard, Greninja, Rosalina, Bowser, and Jr as seconds.

No reason to "drop" a character you like.

GreninjaTwo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintenTheScout
3DS FC
0989-1996-0168
Yeah, I'm not going to SOLELY play Mewtwo when he comes out. Granted, I'm totes gonna main him but he won't get rid of my other mains, Ness and Greninja. I think variety is the main reason I play Smash Bros. anyways. :)
(Plus, I'm savin' a spot on my Main Train for Lucas. :seuss:)

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
....O_O hold the phone, I just realized something about Mewtwo's trailer...

Guys...they referenced Roy....
I mean, why else would he be shown rather then any of the other Koopas?!

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I haven't been able to main anyone since Mewtwo was announced. I still love to play the Marios, the spacies and Falcon. I have like 5-6 other chars I rotate through as well but none I can call my main.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
The good thing about people jumping on using Mewtwo is that his meta will develop pretty fast because of that. I'm sure we'll see a bunch of Mewtwo videos, set-ups and combos.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
think it was pokemon adventures. and the scientist was blaine. they could sense each others presence.
My Mewtwo Sense is Tingling.

this is exactly why I want Mewtwo to stay as he was in Melee...
"shrugs" It's always fun to be the underdog I guess.

Though honestly I'd prefer balance first and foremost, otherwise this could turn into the Zelda board (;)) or worse, such as the Falco board (:p).

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I don't think so. I'm hoping Mewtwo will be difficult to learn, which would prevent most from maining him in favor of easier characters. The only way I can see this happening for good is if Mewtwo becomes the next Diddy, which I really doubt will happen.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I have pretty high doubts Mewtwo will ever overpower the likes of Diddy Kong, being OP enough for everyone to stick to for a long time.

If I could assume where it'd be on Eventhubs' list, I'd probably say mid-high. If higher than that, then I'd be fine with any rank up to #7. If lower than mid-high, then I'd prefer anywhere down to #35. Not saying that I wouldn't play Mewtwo if it got outside of these boundaries, but I'm saying that I feel like it'd be in an overall "safe" spot between 7-35. Possibly would be even safer if between 10-35.

It'd mean that it's likely good, but not too over nor underpowered to keep tryhards people playing to win from sticking to it, or it from requiring too much attention balancing-wise in the future.

Then again, regardless, people will complain in either direction about the guy, and they likely won't even be the people that supported Mewtwo's release originally. There's gonna be people complaining that the guy should be nerf-hammered like they currently do about Sonic, or there's gonna be people going like "wow it hasn't even changed from Melee, needs more buffs" (even though, you know, it's obviously buffed). That's more my problem with the inevitable flood of Mewtwo. (It does have its positives, though; don't get me wrong) It won't necessarily be the decrease in character playing that becomes a problem, it'll be the possible chaos within a minority of the community, outwardly judging Mewtwo within the first week as if they've figured out everything there is to the Pokemon.

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Just discovered that the top corner of my upper 3DS screen cracked during travel to vacation today. It's small, cuts across the top corner, and only shows in the form of a nearly-invisible line and two black tiny spots, but I'm seriously miffed about it. The 3D function is totally shot as a result. It's just noticeable enough under normal circumstances to be annoying, but I don't know about whether repairing or replacing is worth the hassle or cost for such relatively minor damage.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I haven't been able to main anyone since Mewtwo was announced. I still love to play the Marios, the spacies and Falcon. I have like 5-6 other chars I rotate through as well but none I can call my main.
I haven't been able to main ANYONE since they took out Mewtwo! It's been a long, sad, 5+ years..

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Just discovered that the top corner of my upper 3DS screen cracked during travel to vacation today. It's small, cuts across the top corner, and only shows in the form of a nearly-invisible line and two black tiny spots, but I'm seriously miffed about it. The 3D function is totally shot as a result. It's just noticeable enough under normal circumstances to be annoying, but I don't know about whether repairing or replacing is worth the hassle or cost for such relatively minor damage.
That sucks, sorry. I hate cracks or scratches like that, but if they're small I'll deal with them. There's a ton of videos about replacing a 3ds screen on youtube (I looked into it back in October when I was learning how to replace the analog stick). I can send you a few links, if you're interested. Looks like the price for a screen replacement isn't all that bad, either (between $6 to $20).

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I had something like that one my old 3DS XL, but didn't pay any attention to it, because I could never sit in place to use the 3D anyway

I will be plenty miffed if it happens to my New 3DS though Q_Q

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I personally was only going to main Sonic (assuming Mewtwo wasn't coming back) until I kept getting flak from my hallmates here that essentially "You're not going to truly be a good Smash player unless you play multiple characters".

While I still disagree with that statement somewhat, playing other characters did introduce me to the likes of Kirby (current 2nd main), and overall made me better with Sonic after playing many diverse strategies with other characters.

*Was going to main :4greninja: as a secondary when the game came out, but that guy's difficulty with maximizing zoning made me eventually drop him >.< I still like to play him, but dang, I can't ever seem to get the hang of it.

**Also, since today is the day that Spring Break ends for me and I'm back on campus, might as well go see if any of my hallmates want to play Smash :D I may be out for most of the day now. Unless no one else has returned the hall yet ._.

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
....O_O hold the phone, I just realized something about Mewtwo's trailer...

Guys...they referenced Roy....
I mean, why else would he be shown rather then any of the other Koopas?!
its a nice refrence but I think that this :4roy: is the only roy we will have in this game as much as I would want :roypm:,:4lucina: kinda took his spot

Top Bottom