• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spore

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I actually thought the Tribal stage was kinda simple (Maybe because I spent hours and hours playing Warcraft 3, who knows)

I just gave all 5 guys (Cheiftan excluded) torches, and had them destroy the brown village.

Then I took my 9 guys with torches, and owned the green village, which gave me the powerful axes.

I gave 3 guys axes, and attacked the pink village, got spears, gave my 3 new guys spears, and wiped out the cyan village.

Then I made two guys shamans, kept a couple spears and axes, gave everyone else a torch, and destroyed the cyan village.

And then before advancing to the Civ. stage, I killed an epic creature with all 12 (And got nothing :( )

Civ. stage was FUN. Probably my favorite. Space look to be..very...long and involved.

And I managed to pick up a Galactic Edition today! Last one in my area I think, I was like "Woo!" Just because I think the box looks cool, and I'm interested to see all the extra stuff.

But, if you don't want to spend an extra $30, stay away from the Gal. Edition!

Anyway, Spore is amazing! Yay!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Two questions - 1. How do I fish? I have the fishing shack, but I have no idea what to do from there. 2. How do I play instruments for the villages? I have the instruments, and they play them, but the tribes always boo after a while.

Tribal stage is fun, reminds me of Savage's simple RTS format.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
wow, evolving species anyway you want? now this is awesome, never heard of such a game until a friend of mine actually bought it for PC and I have to tell y'all, it PWND!!

D

Deleted member

Two questions - 1. How do I fish? I have the fishing shack, but I have no idea what to do from there.

Go to a body of water, and look around until you find a place where the cursor turns into a fish. Right-click, repeat.

2. How do I play instruments for the villages? I have the instruments, and they play them, but the tribes always boo after a while.

Take your Chief and musicians, go to the village, right-click on a villager, and when a villager requests an instrument, click the instrument's icon next to the green button. Repeat as neccessary.
My answers in bold.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
And of course you have to equip your creatures with the fishing spears too.

My Spore name is xxxNazgulxxx

I'm gonna play this game for a looooong time, it has unimaginable replay value, what with all the editors and ways to take over the planet. I've finally gotten to space stage as an economic nation, and so far it is definitely one of the coolest stages.

Edit: In the tribal phase, get at least one pet, more if you can spare the food at the moment. They lay eggs like crazy. At 3 pets they were laying eggs nonstop and I could just continuously get food without doing any real work.

Edit 2: What's kind of annoying about the spore page is that it uploads your creature in every different version, so if you change details a lot on your creature, it has like 5-10 versions of your creature that are very similar.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
All right, I am in the Space Phase now, so I figured it'd be great to do a quick review of the game, and I may go in-depth later.

First off, the game cannot be viewed as one product and get a score it truly deserves. Instead, I am breaking each phase as it's on separate part of the game with my opinions on it. I use grades, btw.

Cell Phase - B - Now, when Spore was announced, I couldn't care less about this phase. It just looked boring and shallow. Once I played it, it's actually pretty fun and deep. My one problem is that the phase is ridiculously short. I'd love to keep advancing to those massive creatures you see under you at the top level. This part REALLY surprised me.

Creature Phase - B - Like the above, I wasn't looking forward to the Creature Phase at all. It just seemed boring to really, and honestly, I'm glad I was wrong. The creature phase has so much to do, explore, and customize.

Tribal Phase - A - I thought this stage was actually a lot of fun, albeit a bit easy. I did have trouble impressing other villages with music, but I think that was just frustration. Pretty fun overall.

Civilization Phase - A - I LOVE RTS games. This mode felt just like Savage's RTS element - simple, but still fun. You can only make really basic troops, but there is a lot of strategy to actually taking cities. The military route is pretty hard, but the aircrafts aren't very good.

Space Phase - D - This is literally the best part of any game ever. There is still so much you can do. When I got out of my solar system, I realized there are stars EVERYWHERE - above, below, left and right of you - all with at least one planet, which either has life or can hold a colony. Then if you look at all the possible tools you can get, it's even bigger than I'd have ever imagined. Well, it was an A+, but then I really started playing it. This game fails where all other Will Wright games fail - overwhelming the gamer. Look, I get that you want to make a challenging game, but I can literally go to no other stars now. As soon as I touch a star, which are all hostile now, I am told to go back home and defend against an alien invasion. It's cool, once, maybe twice, but when I am looking for friendlies and cannot make it that far, then it's ******** and annoying. Another thing, the enemy ships are entirely too powerful. Their rapid-fire lasers destroy my armor while my missiles slowly takes them down. This really shows that under it all, the game still has work to be done, which sucks.

Overall: B. Solid game, that I really think expansions will make better and better.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I got most of you guys onto my friends list (it can be done in game through the Sporepedia link on the main menu), but CKs name didn't work. I'll try again today.

Anyway, I haven't really done much with the Space Age yet. My personal favorite has been the creature stage, because I prefer adventure based games more than RTS games. Tribal Stage was a bit... meh... but the epic creatures were fun to fight (got one down to 100, but then failed). Civ stage felt like a short version of the civilization games with building customizers. Honestly, it felt like a cop-out because I can play Civilzation 4 and get a better version of this stage.

Those are my opinions so far.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
All right, I am in the Space Phase now, so I figured it'd be great to do a quick review of the game, and I may go in-depth later.

First off, the game cannot be viewed as one product and get a score it truly deserves. Instead, I am breaking each phase as it's on separate part of the game with my opinions on it. I use grades, btw.

Cell Phase - B - Now, when Spore was announced, I couldn't care less about this phase. It just looked boring and shallow. Once I played it, it's actually pretty fun and deep. My one problem is that the phase is ridiculously short. I'd love to keep advancing to those massive creatures you see under you at the top level. This part REALLY surprised me.

Creature Phase - B - Like the above, I wasn't looking forward to the Creature Phase at all. It just seemed boring to really, and honestly, I'm glad I was wrong. The creature phase has so much to do, explore, and customize.

Tribal Phase - A - I thought this stage was actually a lot of fun, albeit a bit easy. I did have trouble impressing other villages with music, but I think that was just frustration. Pretty fun overall.

Civilization Phase - A - I LOVE RTS games. This mode felt just like Savage's RTS element - simple, but still fun. You can only make really basic troops, but there is a lot of strategy to actually taking cities. The military route is pretty hard, but the aircrafts aren't very good.

Space Phase - D - This is literally the best part of any game ever. There is still so much you can do. When I got out of my solar system, I realized there are stars EVERYWHERE - above, below, left and right of you - all with at least one planet, which either has life or can hold a colony. Then if you look at all the possible tools you can get, it's even bigger than I'd have ever imagined. Well, it was an A+, but then I really started playing it. This game fails where all other Will Wright games fail - overwhelming the gamer. Look, I get that you want to make a challenging game, but I can literally go to no other stars now. As soon as I touch a star, which are all hostile now, I am told to go back home and defend against an alien invasion. It's cool, once, maybe twice, but when I am looking for friendlies and cannot make it that far, then it's ******** and annoying. Another thing, the enemy ships are entirely too powerful. Their rapid-fire lasers destroy my armor while my missiles slowly takes them down. This really shows that under it all, the game still has work to be done, which sucks.

Overall: B. Solid game, that I really think expansions will make better and better.
:laugh: That's exactly what I think. But apparently there's a bit at the end of space stage, it's sandbox mode or something. Also your laser destroys the enemy ships faster than those appalling rockets. Right now I'm stuck with my crappy little laser constantly defending my planet.

IGN says it picks up when that stage becomes more open, when you become a galactic god, destroying planets at will, terraforming them in one click, creating civilisations. But that seems like a long way off for me yet, sadly.

So yeah, that's why I'd give the game an 85-90% score, rather than like 99%.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I expect that because it IS a Will Wright game and a sandbox mode is implied, but just now I had a mission from this religious society to destroy this planet of infidels. Cool. I get to the planet, and of course, I have to go back to ALL my colonies and defend them from PIRATES AND MY ENEMIES. Wow... Just wow... Best idea? Save constantly. One thing I found is that the religious race will buy spice (heh, Dune) for about $1,300 or so versus $252 that is normal.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, the thing with the Spice, it's more related to the video game. Dune (Dune 2 in particular) is the first RTS game. Once you enter civilization mode, a simple RTS, you use spice as a resource.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Hey this is begining to pick up. I've almost completely filled that bar at the bottom, so I've gained loads of cool weapons and things, like the Mega Laser and the Monolith.

I only had one enemy race, the stupid Snuffle Walkers. (Ironically they're my own creation). But the Mega Laser, which is fantastic against buildings and turrets, is also fantastic against spaceships, even though it's not meant to be used on them. I have 3 allied ships circling me all the time, so any ships they send at me hardly touch me, and even if they do, I just mega laser them which destroys them in about half a second. Seeing as though I'm a military nation, I just retaliate and destroy some of their colonies, which stops them from attacking me. Plus I just pay my allies to attack them too, and I've used the Monolith to advance the nations around them, then paid those nations to attack them. :laugh:

And I've finally figured out how to work that Spice trading system, Purple Spice sells for about $600 to one of my allies, yet my other ally buys it for $52,000. Just look around, if their planet has red spice, sell them a different colour, and never sell the whole bunch, keep about 1 or 2 left in your cargo, incase you come across someone else who'll buy it at a higher price. Also a handy feature is if you want to get plus points for accepting a mission, but don't want to do the mission but also don't want to get minus points for failing, just go to My Collections and cancel the mission there. You get more plus points, and sometimes badges, for completing it though.

So anyway the moral of the story is, use you laser against the enemies, it's much more effective than those crappy rockets.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Mic128 for me.

I think I'll go and start a new game since I got to space on easy and haven't played much, not wanting to spend too much time on easy.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Mic128 for me.

I think I'll go and start a new game since I got to space on easy and haven't played much, not wanting to spend too much time on easy.
Your Tribug creatures are one of my allies, I advanced them up from civ stage with my Monolith. I tried taking a picture but I'm not sure you can in that mode.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Aha, awesome!

EDIT: CK, I can't find you, keep getting a 'person cannot be found' error. :(

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Hmm, I'll look myself up later and see what's the deal.

I REALLY love Terraforming. I am looking forward to ending the game and just doing that forever.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I hate terraforming. It feels boring. I'd rather just blow stuff up, but I have to recharge my ship like 50 **** TIMES before I can even kill one enemy.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
A blog named Anti Spore slams publisher for teaching American kids to believe in evolution
EA’s Spore might be sitting pretty in third space in the UK Top 40, but it seems not everyone is happy about Will Wright’s success – and none are grumpier than the author of a new blog called Anti Spore.

Carrying the byline ‘Resisting EA’s War on Creationism”, the site is up in arms about the game’s belief that the world and human race has arrived at the form it is today through the process of evolution, as opposed to being created at the hands of god.

Choice snippets from the site include:

“I used to like Will Wright. He created Sim City, a fantastic game that celebrated the earth that God created for us and allowed you to use all your God given abilities to make an ideal society.
You would think that as a member of the Episcopal Church, a smart man like Will Wright would not be capable of creating Spore. However, we must be reminded that the Episcopal Church is the only church in America that ordains homosexuals on a regular basis.”

“It takes a village to raise a child. And 8,500 employees at Electronic Arts to corrupt a child’s mind. 8,500 people all working together and not a single one with enough Jesus to stand up and say what they are doing is wrong. It makes me sick.”

“Seems a lot of Evolutionairyists have been stopping by and commenting. I am not afraid of a debate. I just wish they would be a little nicer. But I understand that some people get pretty defensive when they know they are wrong.”
http://antispore.com/ :laugh:

Ørion

Smash Ace
I'm not sure that's being fair to the game. I'm a Christian and don't really have a problem with this game...it's just a game. It's like never reading a fantasy book because there is magic in it, it just seems extreme.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Or the fact that evolution is a proven process. I love how their concept of a game would just defy all logic, but when something tries to actually be fun, they get mad.

I am actually enjoying the game now that I removed a hostile race.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Or the fact that evolution is a proven process. I love how their concept of a game would just defy all logic, but when something tries to actually be fun, they get mad.

I am actually enjoying the game now that I removed a hostile race.
Evolution.

Science is a beautiful thing. The knowledge we've gained is out of this world. We are so advanced it's scary. Creating new life with Spore, destroying ourselves, etc.

The End is Coming.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193605

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think he mis-interpreted Angels and Demons.

Sure, CERN has developed anti-matter, but it doesn't have nearly enough destructive ability (As of right now)

CERN developed it purely for scientific purposes, and CERN is not only made up of European scientists, but scientists from around the world.

CERN also created the internet, which is a lesser known fact.

(And yes, I know what he was actually joking about, but I thought i'd be serious about the organization of scientists he was (hopefully) referring to.)

Anyway, Spore spore spore!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Alright. Ranting time.

So, today I was bored and wondered if I there was a badge for getting level 5 on every stat in the creature stage. So, I set out to do that.

After a two hour game, the game fails on me and I lose all the data. TWO HOURS. And guess what? All I had left to max out was posing.

Freakin' posing.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Save often. I literally save everytime I leave a planet I am working on or go to my homeworld to start my spice collection process.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I figured that out after that happened. I usually do make sure to save often, but I just forgot.

Ah, well. It's nothing that can't be redone.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Ok, so what happens once you "beat" the space phase? I got omnipotent and nothing really changed.

I use a planet buster for the first time - HELL ****ING YES.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Alright. Ranting time.

So, today I was bored and wondered if I there was a badge for getting level 5 on every stat in the creature stage. So, I set out to do that.

After a two hour game, the game fails on me and I lose all the data. TWO HOURS. And guess what? All I had left to max out was posing.

Freakin' posing.
ouch, that sucks
I don't have the game, so what exactly are these things you were trying to max out?

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Wow, this game is tons of fun. I only got it today, and am currently playing through the creature stage. My Spore name is honeybunch.

I love having a gliding creature. I don't know why, but I find it incredibly fun to be able to glide through the air.

Well, the thing with the Spice, it's more related to the video game. Dune (Dune 2 in particular) is the first RTS game. Once you enter civilization mode, a simple RTS, you use spice as a resource.
What are you talking about? Spice was huge in the books. It was the basic foundation on which interstellar travel existed. Without it, interstellar travel would have been next to impossible in the books.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I'm loving the game: my favorite parts are the Creature, Tide Pool, and Space Stages...

Epic Creatures... You both love em and hate em. For the first time I actually had a bona fide giant humanoid as an Epic Creature; it towered above anything else, even other Epics. They're fun to watch and observe, but they always seem to show up and wreck everything when you're trying to befriend a species... which in itself was always kind of hard for me (I didn't want my first species to have arms, so of course everything I met overused Pose. I want my current species to be a slug without any arms or legs... it's... a tough ride...).

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I got to the center of the galaxy, and I'll likely have to restart because of the stupidity of the design in this game. I made the mistake of attacking the Grox, and now the game is basically over because if I attempt to destroy them - they attack me before I even descend upon their first planet, and if I ally with them, ALL other people will declare war on me. How is this fun? The center of the universe is funny, but the reward is stupid - the Staff of Life, a tool that automatically terraforms a planet completely, and you get 42 of them to satisfy another space reference.

This is probably one of the best games I have ever played, but it's a shame that due to obviously design flaws (read: Will Wright's inability to understand that games are meant for fun), it's just not fun at all. I am pretty much in constant limbo between babysitting my planets and babysitting my allies planets. On top of that, Interplanetary combat is laughably impossible. Somehow they can invade with 6 forces, but I can only invade with one, and they have seemingly endless health and repair restores. Only when I finally used cheats did I actually gain an advantage over them.

The game feels impeccably short as well. Every phase felt like a glimpse into much better games, and I felt so rushed. For the cell phase, once I began to enjoy it, I was forced to move on because there was nothing left to do in it and you stopped growing. Creature phase, less so, but the point is it seemed to just push you hard towards Space phase. Space phase IS fun, but for some odd reason, the events are in such great numbers, that it's impossible to enjoy it. Now that I cheated to get infinite money, and found out there is no "Infinite items at the end of the game to do what you want," I have no desire to play. Shame, I really looked forward to this game.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hopefully patches will come in and extend all stages (excluding space), and allow you to be able to have more than one ship attacking at a time in the space age (maybe something like you control your own ship, but you can give instructions to others?).

It's annoying that once I evolve as much as I can in the creature stage all I have to do is press the '3' key like a ****** for three seconds until I kill another creature.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I am restarting. The game got too tedious for me because evidently I didn't play it the correct way. I got a trainer to get infinite planet busters, and I was going to make my way through the Grox, but then I realized that doesn't stop the stupid events. My homeworld got attacked, and I quit without saving. I am taking a long break from this game. It's a shame too. I really love some parts about it, but other are mind-blowingly stupid.

FYI: Google "Spore Earth" to find out how to get to our Solar System sans Pluto. You can terraform a lot there, pending you can get past all the stupid events.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's like the Sims if the Sims consisted of the following:

Wake-up, the phone rings for you to go to the store, as soon as you leave, your house catches fire, when you put that out, the store closes so you can't do that now, then when you get some free time to edit your house, people rob your house and your office.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
my friend got it for his birthday and he is totally addicted to it he says its a must buy game i played the creature creator and it was awesome i have go buy it soon

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
It's like the Sims if the Sims consisted of the following:

Wake-up, the phone rings for you to go to the store, as soon as you leave, your house catches fire, when you put that out, the store closes so you can't do that now, then when you get some free time to edit your house, people rob your house and your office.
It's not really a problem if you make sure you don't get into any wars. Ecodisaster happens every half hour or so, so that's not a problem. Thus, the only attacks you'll get are pirates... which... don't matter so much if you're halfway across the galaxy (they only steal spice, which will probably return to you by the time you get back). If you're in a war, you shouldn't be rushing halfway through the galaxy to fight the Grox in the first place.

War is annoying, though. I specifically avoided it, so I didn't have to worry about anything.

You just have to know what you're dealing with, and balancing your missions with the responsibilities at hand.

Top Bottom