• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield Smash XII June

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PathwaysSmash
AllIsBrawl: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=13422
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/298008646950983
Springfield, MO discussion thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298346
Organizer/Host: Terral

NOTICE: the Pathways venue has cancelled this tournament, as well as future tournaments. We are currently looking for a new location. Ideally, the date and time will remain constant. Sorry about this, it's completely out of my control.

No venue fee; entry fees to be decided, but likely free or under $5 per event. Please bring your own controller. Doors open at 1:00 PM, arriving earlier than 12:30 is unwise if you don't enjoy standing around. Bringing setups (TV + console + game) or partial setups is hugely appreciated.

The June tournament will feature Melee, Brawl, and Project: M, with brackets depending on attendance and demand.

Other games may also be featured on the side, such as Super Smash Bros 64 or Super Street Fighter 4. If participants want to bring a game (any game), they should bring a full setup (TV + system + game and ideally an extension cord/power strip) for it to be played on, and we may have a single-elimination event if there's demand.

If your match is on a recorded setup, please use identifying nicknames so that the one running the setup has an easier time keeping track of who is who when they are uploaded.

Tournaments are roughly scheduled for the third Saturday of each month, but this changes on a monthly basis.

For the curious, there should be some kind of food and soda, and the venue has water fountains. Expect pizza, but there's a good chance we will need to pool together money.

If you think you may need to text someone, just ask and Terral can provide a cellphone number.

Venue Details

To be announced.

Rules[COLLAPSE="Melee"]4 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (2 of 3 if players agree)
Wobbling is banned

Character choice/stage selection is identical to Brawl's rules. Random is a legal character choice; character may be randomized ONCE as the last step before starting the game.

Starter:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter-pick:
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Doubles changes:
Starter: Pokemon Stadium
Counter: Kongo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise
Banned: Fountain of Dreams[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Brawl"]Using the newest version of the BBR Unity Ruleset, with added match-up specific rules. Meta Knight is banned. PS2 also is removed from counter-pick. We may drop Unity in favor of a custom rule set; this is up for discussion.

Double elimination
3 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (or 2 of 3 if players agree)

1-stock format: 3 minute timer, best of 5, 7 for finals

Match-up specific rules:
- If a character matchup is chosen that has a character-specific infinite or near-infinite, if the character with an infinite counter-picked the other player, the disadvantaged player may choose to reset the character selection process (they choose a different character, opponent counter-picks again; this can happen only once)
Affected:
Dedede's standing infinite (Mario, Luigi, Samus, Donkey Kong)
Marth's re-grab (Ness, Lucas)

First round of a set:
- select characters for first set
- strike out stages from starter: one player strikes two stages, other strikes three, first strikes one.
- each player may ban a stage for the set
After:
- loser chooses counter-pick stage*
- winner chooses character
- loser chooses character

- When choosing a character, multi-character slots are to be specified (ie ZSS or Samus, Shiek or Zelda); Pokemon Trainer may be randomized, and random (slot) is a legal selection

* You can't counter-pick a stage that you've already won on in the set, unless agreed upon

Starter:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Final Destination
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick:
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Smash 64"]5 stocks, items none
Best 2 of 3, recommended 3 of 5 for finals
DK's infinite cargo hold is banned

Starter Stages: Congo Jungle, Hyrule Castle, Dream Land
Counterpick Stage: Peach's Castle.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Super Street Fighter 4"]Play for best of 3 best of 3, with finals being best of 5 best of 3. Double elimination. Random stage, since picking is pointless.[/COLLAPSE]

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
if i can get a ride from bert or shinobi it's likely i'll be there.
I'm pretty sure it's been a year since I've seen you. I hear you are actually good now, unlike the scrubby Sinister I used to know who would place first at every single Pathways tournament. I assume you are going for 0th place this time.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
ok, if not even the main springfield kids are going, there's no way i'm gonna show. i'm not gonna take off work for sum bs 6 person tourney 3 hours away
Lol Sam. Find out when Shinobi will be back from KC. And then ask him if he'll drive you to my place cuz I'm sure some StL people will ask for a ride from me. So I gotta stay relatively close to them.

Asking for this weekend off now.

:phone:

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
Lol Sam. Find out when Shinobi will be back from KC. And then ask him if he'll drive you to my place cuz I'm sure some StL people will ask for a ride from me. So I gotta stay relatively close to them.

Asking for this weekend off now.

:phone:
i'm gonna have to tentatively say i'm not going at this point.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I'm confirmed for this. Everyone else should go, now. I know you were all waiting on my confirmation.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I just got word from the church that we will no longer be able to use their facilities for our tournaments. It would seem as though some of the higher-ups who control the money and run the church as a whole somehow did not know about our events, and upon finding out decided to pull the plug. I am going to try to find a new venue for the 30th, and will keep everyone up to date if things need to change.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I just got word from the church that we will no longer be able to use their facilities for our tournaments. It would seem as though some of the higher-ups who control the money and run the church as a whole somehow did not know about our events, and upon finding out decided to pull the plug. I am going to try to find a new venue for the 30th, and will keep everyone up to date if things need to change.
I kinda feel like they really hold a grudge against us Arkansans.

I'm sorry if we messed up something, but we were just doing as we were told :(

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I don't think it's because of that. It's probably just that it made more people at the church aware of the existence of the tournaments, and those people just happened to not approve of them.

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
well if they never knew about them before, just keep doing it and they won't even know.
trolling....somewhat. kind of

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
...It would seem as though some of the higher-ups who control the money and run the church as a whole somehow did not know about our events...
How the hell did they not know by now. These tourneys have been happening for over a year now and they're just now saying something. Sounds like BS to me... but its whatever.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
How the hell did they not know by now. These tourneys have been happening for over a year now and they're just now saying something. Sounds like BS to me... but its whatever.
We've been doing the tournaments for two and a half years, so I really don't know. I believe the story, it's possible that it was somewhat intentional that certain people didn't learn about them.

Also, we will have something on the 30th, even if we can't get a real venue. We may end up needing to schedule tournaments on another day of the week in the future, though.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Has anybody talked to Next Level Gaming? I'm sure we could work something out, especially when we tell them that they can make some money (venue fees) for hosting. Their tournament room they claimed to be working on a year ago is probably done since they are always talking about hosting Magic: The Gathering tournaments on Facebook.

Ugvts

Smash Cadet
My dad was the pastor at Pathways until a year ago. He just let us have the tournaments. It's the Methodist Church, so they shuffle their pastors around every few years. When he was at Pathways he made a lot of decisions executively (it's the pastor's job to run the church) and let specific stuff get voted on by the boards and whatnot that are made up of people in the congregation.

The new pastor doesn't do that so much, and she just lets most things be decided through votes, I think. It's what I've heard, anyway. They never knew about our tournaments because they happened on Saturdays when hardly anyone's at the church. But someone found out about them after the last tournament, I guess, and brought it up during a vote. And through the clear lens of bureaucracy they decided to not give us the space anymore.

I don't know why they decided that, it probably doesn't have much to do with anything. But that's why they just found out we were having tournaments.

I thank you all for your cooperation and will see you at the deposition.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
It was probably the short round Mexican dude that was in a suit and on a cell phone for about half an hour while the girls were practicing their dance. He looked like he was probably a board member.

I'm certain it had nothing to do with people staying the night beforehand though, because the youth pastor and I talked and he was totally cool with it. So if you stayed the night, feel no blame.

I really like Roman's idea of Next Level Gaming as a venue, although I don't have much drive to play anymore since the only person I could play on a normal basis is Wretched (and it's insanely hard to get better playing just one person).

G. Vice

Smash Lord
It was probably the short round Mexican dude that was in a suit and on a cell phone for about half an hour while the girls were practicing their dance. He looked like he was probably a board member.

I'm certain it had nothing to do with people staying the night beforehand though, because the youth pastor and I talked and he was totally cool with it. So if you stayed the night, feel no blame.

I really like Roman's idea of Next Level Gaming as a venue, although I don't have much drive to play anymore since the only person I could play on a normal basis is Wretched (and it's insanely hard to get better playing just one person).
It didn't feel like he was totally fine with it when he said "you guys freaked people out so much by showing up and staying here unexpectedly that we might have to tell ya'll to leave and not come back."

Idk how you interpret that, but my interpretation was in no way positive lol.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
It didn't feel like he was totally fine with it when he said "you guys freaked people out so much by showing up and staying here unexpectedly that we might have to tell ya'll to leave and not come back."

Idk how you interpret that, but my interpretation was in no way positive lol.
That was before I talked to him. The day of the tournament he was very supportive, helping me make things go smoothly, even helping us carry some TVs. All I'm saying is he wasn't the reason we lost the venue, and I'm certain it had nothing to do with ppl staying the night.

Why is wretched the only person you can play?
He is the only person I can play on a normal basis. You are usually a no show or late, and you work 40 hours a week now. Terrence is a whole different story but to keep it short, him and I are not compatible smash playing friends. John and Andy are too new. Terral always has something else to do. Chris lives too far away. Nathan is pretty much done with Melee.

Maybe that will change when you get an apartment here in town, but aside from Wretched, nobody in the crew ever initiates smash and I'm tired of being the only other person with motivation to play AND get better at the same time. I take smash way too seriously when I play (which offends some people), and because of that I would rather not play at all if I'm not training to get better with other people that share the same motive.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
So does anyone have a contact at Next Level Games? I don't know these people at all, so it seems more natural for someone who does to ask them about the tournament.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Miguel, I am certainly not giving up smash. Whenever you DO want to play, tell me.

Terrence and I were supposed to play smash brothers on sunday but he kinda bailed on me and never returned my texts.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Yo, Edes.

Option 1) Move to Arkansas. Get a job here. Never go without good quality smashers again. There may even be room in our crew for ya :)

Option 2) Wait for SSBM Online. Play Arkansas often. Get good. Win locals.

Problem solved.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
LOL. That's good advise, if only there were a T-Mobile call center in Arkansas.

Wretched, Imma probably call you either tonight or tomorrow to play. Maybe we can get Romanowski and/or TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Terral). I'm craving some smash pretty bad right now. Been almost two weeks =/

G. Vice

Smash Lord
LOL. That's good advise, if only there were a T-Mobile call center in Arkansas.

Wretched, Imma probably call you either tonight or tomorrow to play. Maybe we can get Romanowski and/or TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Terral). I'm craving some smash pretty bad right now. Been almost two weeks =/
Uh, there aren't? And Verizon, which I hear actually pays pretty well. And they're hiring almost always.

I'm also hiring. I need someone to give me sponge baths. It pays well. You get to see me naked :)

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Turned in my renters app today. I work until Saturday and on that day I'm finishing packing. I may be able to play on my next day off, which is Tuesday, or sometime before I go to work next week (I usually start at 2 or 3).

You know, tomorrow before I go to work could work out. I'm most likely staying at Kendra'a tonight and she works in the morning so I'll be free until 3 which is when I start tomorrow's shift.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
G. Vice, yeah there isn't a T-Mobile call center in Arkansas, unfortunately. Also the perks for that job I think would appeal to several candidates, me not being one of them ;)

Roman, my wife has some family coming to town tomorrow so it's unlikely I can play. However I am off Tuesdays so txt me and we can play this upcoming Tuesday at Wretcheds or something. I work very early on Wednesday, so I can't play late.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Well the renters are having me go back and forth with this application process because the girl at the front desk keeps telling me the wrong things I need to do so I don't have time to play tomorrow anyway since I've got to go back there and meet up with my roommate to arrange some things.

I'm really excited to start playing again, though.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I might join in on the Tuesday smashing. Shouldn't this be in the Springfield thread? Also, Michael, the church needs your key back as soon as possible, same for mine.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
If we play on Tuesday I can get your key and bring them by the church, or give them to you and you can do it. The person is there in the office from 8-3, every day but Monday.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Bribe them. Tell them you will give them their keys in return for a pair of keys AND access to the church at anytime we would like.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I will politically and systematically ensure that we will have access to the church again.

I will have to work hard and pull in a lot of favors, but in the end it is all for the good of the community. BTW, is anyone willing to blow some old people from a church committee?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Wretched, not going to lie, that is probably not in your best interest.

Anyway, is anyone going to actually talk to Meta Games or Next Level Games or do I need to try to find a church or something to host us?

Top Bottom