• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB64 for the Wii U!

PlexPro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Landrdubr
3DS FC
0190-0406-9129
Nintendo recently announced N64 games being available to download for the Virtual Console on the Wii U soon. Therefore, I thought that it could be possible that Super Smash Bros. 64 might be coming to the Wii U Virtual Console! What are your thoughts?

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
It's likely that it won't perform optimally but on the chance that it does, I could see it being a good substitute for those who own Wii U's. As for tournament viability, extensive testing would need to be done before before adopting it as tourney legal. (not to mention the controller situation)

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
unless it doesnnt drop frames and i can play it with my 64 controller, i wouldnt be terribly excited about it

Shears

Smash Master
I would be excited for the exposure and the community that smash would be on wiiu and available to a ton of people however, I personally won't be excited as I don't even know what a wiiu looks like.

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
A lot of potential, but it probably will end up like the Wii Virtual Console version.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Nintendo recently announced N64 games being available to download for the Virtual Console on the Wii U soon. Therefore, I thought that it could be possible that Super Smash Bros. 64 might be coming to the Wii U Virtual Console! What are your thoughts?
If there's one thing Nintendo knows how to do is milk a cash cow so I'm sure SSB64 will eventually come to the Wii U VC. More than likely it'll be the same as the original Wii version with the addition of rumble support which the Wii release did not have.

Rather than a straight port, though, I wish Nintendo would upgrade the graphics to at least 720p and include native on-line play. I doubt Nintendo would do that because they don't want to dilute the Sm4sh on-line player base but it would be very nice if they did.

At the very least, I'm hoping that Nintendo includes GameCube Controller Adapter support when they finally release Super Smash Bros. (N64) on the Wii U's Virtual Console.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
If there's one thing Nintendo knows how to do is milk a cash cow so I'm sure SSB64 will eventually come to the Wii U VC. More than likely it'll be the same as the original Wii version with the addition of rumble support which the Wii release did not have.

Rather than a straight port, though, I wish Nintendo would upgrade the graphics to at least 720p and include native on-line play. I doubt Nintendo would do that because they don't want to dilute the Sm4sh on-line player base but it would be very nice if they did.

At the very least, I'm hoping that Nintendo includes GameCube Controller Adapter support when they finally release Super Smash Bros. (N64) on the Wii U's Virtual Console.
you havent read above no? 64 can be ported for casuals like you but a remake is beyond stupid and insuls the 64 competative scene

Shears

Smash Master
you havent read above no? 64 can be ported for casuals like you but a remake is beyond stupid and insuls the 64 competative scene
Emulator isn't much better, DS, frame delay, fluctuating fps, but thats considered a great tool for the community and the competitive scene. There is a ton of good reasons we don't use emulators for official tournaments but it is a great way to practice, get familiar with the game and characters and play anyone anywhere. If the virtual console offers these same things (which is will with the addition of occasional frame skips) then it is great for opening the game up to a larger and younger community while giving people an easy and convenient way to get familiar with the mechanics, gameplay, characters, stages, etc., same way emulator does. If the frame skips are fixed (which may be improbable and not feasible but certainly not impossible) then its a great addition to the community. Even with the frame skips players that are primarily melee, brawl, pm, sm4sh players can still play 64 and become moderately competitive with the VC alone because they can still get basic combos, spacing, and techniques down. Its a stepping stone, a gateway drug, the stairway to the heaven of SSB64 console.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Emulator isn't much better, DS, frame delay, fluctuating fps, but thats considered a great tool for the community and the competitive scene. There is a ton of good reasons we don't use emulators for official tournaments but it is a great way to practice, get familiar with the game and characters and play anyone anywhere. If the virtual console offers these same things (which is will with the addition of occasional frame skips) then it is great for opening the game up to a larger and younger community while giving people an easy and convenient way to get familiar with the mechanics, gameplay, characters, stages, etc., same way emulator does. If the frame skips are fixed (which may be improbable and not feasible but certainly not impossible) then its a great addition to the community. Even with the frame skips players that are primarily melee, brawl, pm, sm4sh players can still play 64 and become moderately competitive with the VC alone because they can still get basic combos, spacing, and techniques down. Its a stepping stone, a gateway drug, the stairway to the heaven of SSB64 console.
i said remake lol, emu is an emulator

it drops no frames if its online with stable FPS

emulator doesnt suck, internet does

Madao

The fps shouldn't really fluctuate on emulator, unless you're running on a toaster, using a bad setup, or bad connection (if online).
There is a ton of good reasons we don't use emulators for official tournaments
I still agree with this though.
I don't think there's anything wrong with 720p graphics and native online play :) .

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
The fps shouldn't really fluctuate on emulator, unless you're running on a toaster, using a bad setup, or bad connection (if online).
I still agree with this though.
I don't think there's anything wrong with 720p graphics and native online play :) .
it would be a whole different game dude

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I agree with Shears, releasing the original N64 version of Super Smash Bros. on the Wii U's Virtual Console can only be a good thing. That's true even if it's flawed like the Wii VC iteration as it'll help expand the games player base. Who knows, Nintendo may surprise us and make the Wii U release a perfect reproduction of the original game. Even if they don't it's no big deal as there are still plenty of Super Smash Bros. cartridges available. In fact, I own several of them. ;)

Top Bottom