• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Snapshot files. We need to crack em!

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
The option is grayed out and can't be checked. I'm pretty sure I have been running it as the administrator, at least when I run it through command prompt.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Then I think you should wait until Heinermann has built the function in.

Anyway, I might not respond that much anymore. I'm currently busy with an Unreal Tournament 3 map and an adventure game engine. Both will be pretty exciting.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
Just an update.

Here is the content header: http://heinermann.kakkoister.com/contentHead.txt

What we know: Any modification whatsoever results in a "corrupted file". If you've made a modification to a file and it works, PLEASE POST IT.

Any ideas?

Here is a file from savesample, which has no wii/disc ID, and is uncompressed: http://heinermann.kakkoister.com/al_000001_0000.zip

Also note: The "special brawl key" is known but not implemented in any public application. I will not distribute it here.

L0nk

Smash Rookie
Hm.. the checksum still seems to be the largest issue we have.. however, what I am thinking about. I recently got a USB Gecko - this is more or less a development adapter for Nintendo Gamecube and Wii - basically I am also writing software for it - more details about the USB Gecko are availible at http://www.usbgecko.com - and well.. it is possible to change memory in real time using that tool. It might be worth a try to inject files into the game memory - or something the like.. If anyone is interested in helping.. welcome on board - I'd happily hand out WiiRd (the software I am working on) betas - however, unfortunately it will require you to have a hardware enhancement (the USB Gecko) - however, I should note that the Wii itself does not need to be modified.

The WiiRd homepage includes some information on how to use the USB Gecko together with it: http://wiird.l0nk.org

Basically my idea: inject modified data into Wii memory.. copy it to Wii memory and back to SD card.. and then the game checksums for us.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but is there any program to compress data into the lz77 format the Brawl uses?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
No, but, although it's very possible and fairly easy to implement, I don't really think it's really worth it.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Okay. I thought I needed it for something I'm working on but it turns out I don't. One last question though. I was reading back through old posts in this topic. Could you be a little bit more specific as to what the first five bytes of an lz77 file are?

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
The first five bytes:

1 byte - Archive type
3 bytes - Unpacked file size (little endian)
1 byte - Compressed data start (I think, otherwise the unpacked size is 4 bytes)

RupeeClock

Smash Ace
I think I may have found something VERY interesting about the replay data.

I have a USB Gecko which I've used to use cheat codes on brawl.
One such code is turning player 1 into a Shadow character from the Great maze.

In any case, when I was doing this, I played as Shadow Pikachu vs Pikachu in a normal match, and saved the replay data.

Surprise surprise, without any hacks running, the replay shows Shadow Pikachu, and NOT Blue googles Pikachu like the icon displays during the match!

http://rupeeclock.googlepages.com/rp_000101_0012.bin

The hack was performed on the japanese version of brawl, using this Gecko GCT code (old version, NOT the WiiRD handler)

30000000 90180F20
0000009D 0000000C
60000000 80000000

(0C is the value that tells the game to play with a shadow colour costume.)

Maybe you can find something interesting in this replay data?
http://rupeeclock.googlepages.com/rp_000101_0012.bin

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
The status modifier will work in replays. Could you test the unknown values?

Also, what happens if the colour is greater than 0x0C?

What happens if the player ID is a Boss, and the controller is a CPU?

Could you also check out the individual player gravity, attack ratio, and defense ratio modifiers?

Joe T.E.

Smash Rookie
This is some awesome Stuff RupeeClock. Makes me want a USBGecko now, especially since soon there will be a code for the American Version that let's you play as Giga Bowser.
Also, I have two things to say.
1. Can you do a match with Giga Bowser, and save and upload a replay of it?
2. I also happen to have a device that lets me record footage from my Wii. I got 2 of your hacked Replays on my Wii using my SD card, and actually recorded them. Maybe I could upload them to Youtube, so that people without the ability to transfer data between Computers/SD Cards can see them.

Joe T.E.

Smash Rookie
Not just a replay but also a video in youtube
He just needs to upload the replay file IMO. I don't think he can record it. However, I can record the footage myself, and upload it on my youtube account if you want, and that is if RupeeClock does record this.

Full Metal Kirby

Smash Rookie
Well, if he's taking requests, a replay of WarioMan vs Giga Bowser vs Red Alloy vs Shadow Kirby on Homerun Contest stage would be awesome. (Or, for that matter, just two Human controlled WarioMans in a 2 minute match who go right via Side+B for two minutes; I always have wondered how far a super-fast Motorcycle on HRC could get in 2 mins)

Edit: Also, RupeeClock, if it's possible to play on WiFi as such, and if you've got some time to spare, would you mind showing me some of the characters/levels in real time?

Edit 2: Instead of Shadow Kirby, how about Tabuu?
Code:
	33 (51) - BossPackun (Petey Piranha)
	34 (52) - Rayquaza
	35 (53) - PorkyStatue
	36 (54) - Porky
	37 (55) - HeadRobo (Galleom)
	38 (56) - Ridley
	39 (57) - Duon
	3A (58) - MetaRidley (Meta Ridley)
	3B (59) - Taboo (Tabuu)
	3C (60) - MasterHand (Master Hand)
	3D (61) - CrazyHand (Crazy Hand)
Edit 3: Also, a thought just occurred to me; I wonder what would happen if Ganondorf used his Final Smash on the HRC level, since if Nintendo made it go infinitely via looping on itself, it'd mean Ganondorf's FS would go forever. Would it not? Since, if I recall right, Ganondorf's FS goes until it hits a "KO boundary" for left/right.

RupeeClock

Smash Ace
There are some problems here.

1 - Alloys crash if not played on battlefield
2 - Alloys crash as soon as the match is over, as does Wario Man if he doesn't return to being Wario.
3 - Playing on homerun stadium causes a crash.

So I can't save replays here. :\

I've also tested the hacks on wifi, they don't work.

At the very least, I may be able to make some interesting stage creator stages now, someone just released a code.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uaBvY_ywdYM

Full Metal Kirby

Smash Rookie
There are some problems here.

1 - Alloys crash if not played on battlefield
2 - Alloys crash as soon as the match is over, as does Wario Man if he doesn't return to being Wario.
3 - Playing on homerun stadium causes a crash.

So I can't save replays here. :\

I've also tested the hacks on wifi, they don't work.

At the very least, I may be able to make some interesting stage creator stages now, someone just released a code.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uaBvY_ywdYM
Simply meaning the data is elsewhere for WiFi matches, or else it could depend on what WiFi chooses as the 'host'. Though, wouldn't it be possible to make a similar code like Melee had that makes all the players appear as Mario on the ending screen to avoid a freeze? Though, I guess I could live with a 2-minute match with Shadow Kirby, Shadow Ike, Shadow Pit, and something else as a filler on the Online Training stage; That is, if you don't mind.

Also, just as a thought to bring up; Target Test, Heal, Subspace, and Custom Stages only have one value for each of them (Excluding Subspace, which iirc has 3), meaning, there might be a sub-byte that determines what it is. (Like, how on the Heal stage, the 'sub-byte' would of been 00, leading to you having the Game&Watch background image; In fact, if you were going to try and find the second byte, playing through All Star would be an easy way to do it)

unacquainted

Smash Rookie
Can I use any of those programs to decrypt the save file on my wii, I can't get it to go to the SD card so I am unsure how it will work.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I have a question for Heinermann. Recently when I tried to run SSBExtract, the window will open, seem to extract the file, close, but nothing will be saved. If I try to run it from the command prompt it will create an empty folder called either WIN, SSBExtract, or Documents and Settings. I have talked to Wolf Pup and he has the same problem too. We are both on Windows XP.

Any idea what could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Can I use any of those programs to decrypt the save file on my wii, I can't get it to go to the SD card so I am unsure how it will work.
Google "Wii save extractor".

unacquainted

Smash Rookie
Okay, I have a question for Heinermann. Recently when I tried to run SSBExtract, the window will open, seem to extract the file, close, but nothing will be saved. If I try to run it from the command prompt it will create an empty folder called either WIN, SSBExtract, or Documents and Settings. I have talked to Wolf Pup and he has the same problem too. We are both on Windows XP.

Any idea what could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Google "Wii save extractor".
I had the same problem, I used the online tool and that did it for me. I googled for the saveextractor but I don't know how to use .dol files or .elf files as I am new to the homebrew scene. WiiKey with the latest firmware.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I had the same problem, I used the online tool and that did it for me. I googled for the saveextractor but I don't know how to use .dol files or .elf files as I am new to the homebrew scene. WiiKey with the latest firmware.
To run a .elf file you will need to search for something called the twilight hack, as well as a copy of Twilight Princess. It is a hacked save file for Twilight Princess. Put the save extractor .elf onto the root of the sd card and rename it boot.elf. Put the twilight hack save onto your sd card where the Wii saves are stored.

On the Wii, copy the twilight hack save into the Wii's memory. Run twilight princess and load the hacked save file. When it starts, talk to the man in front of you. The game will crash and the twilight hack will be loaded. It will then run whatever you have set as boot.elf on your sd card.

unacquainted

Smash Rookie
To run a .elf file you will need to search for something called the twilight hack, as well as a copy of Twilight Princess. It is a hacked save file for Twilight Princess. Put the save extractor .elf onto the root of the sd card and rename it boot.elf. Put the twilight hack save onto your sd card where the Wii saves are stored.

On the Wii, copy the twilight hack save into the Wii's memory. Run twilight princess and load the hacked save file. When it starts, talk to the man in front of you. The game will crash and the twilight hack will be loaded. It will then run whatever you have set as boot.elf on your sd card.
I don't have a gecko, Ill have to get one.

xXZeroXx

Smash Cadet
An stupid question here. How can I convert the screenshots and get a good quiality screenshot? I menam, the program is great (very fast and useful) but the screenshots are a bit bad. It's like the stage and the characters were different. Characters appearence is pixeled . Don't know how to say so.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
An stupid question here. How can I convert the screenshots and get a good quiality screenshot? I menam, the program is great (very fast and useful) but the screenshots are a bit bad. It's like the stage and the characters were different. Characters appearence is pixeled . Don't know how to say so.
Because that's how it really looks "inside" your Wii. :p

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Ok, I got the pic decrypter (online) to work great, 16:9 and 4:3.

What about replays? I have a couple replays I wanted to convert to vids, but in the first post, the link pertaining to that is down :(

unacquainted

Smash Rookie
They can not convert replays... yet. The replay decrypter just gives information about the match (time, items, rules, characters etc.) for more information google 'brawl tools' and got to kakkoisters website.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Oh...I thought we had a converter already :(

I do have a TV tuner card...so I might be able to plug the Wii into that and capture the replays directly, I guess.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Sighs and facepalms aside, there should really be a topic containing the words:

HEY ****ING *******, FOR THE LAST ****ING TIME, REPLAY FILES CANNOT BE CONVERTED TO VIDEO FORMAT. EVER. GET THIS TROUGH YOUR THICK HEADS.

Top Bottom