• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Snapshot files. We need to crack em!

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Keep the good work guys!!! i dont understand a shidd what you are saying but hell yeah you guys are awesoime!!.

This is surely the first step in getting down how those images work!

Remfin

Smash Rookie
#1 SD-Key is global, not unique. It's just like the Wii master key but a different one. Most likely the idea was that SD data is easy to get to and work at hacking, while the disc is (relatively) hard to get to. That way all that effort cracking the relatively-worthless SD data doesn't immediately give access to disc data once you figure out how to read it. Short-circuited entirely by the hack of course...

#2 No, the SD-Key (and SD-IV) are not in the wiitools, and no they wouldn't be in any utility from segher's crew. They are not going to distribute them and all their tools are designed to read a local copy at run-time that is not part of the program.

#3 The bones of a utility would be nice I guess, but from what I can see it's really not that complicated. It will basically save some people 10 minutes of looking at help files. Without the SD-Key/IV it will be useless, and at least for now I don't see many people who can't program getting the SD-Key/IV anyway. I'd certainly release my program after I get the key and verify how exactly the file works, but I'd most likely not be including the key either because whoever would give it to me would probably insist I keep it secret.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Keep the good work guys!!! i dont understand a shidd what you are saying but hell yeah you guys are awesoime!!.

This is surely the first step in getting down how those images work!
Er, they converted the images into jpegs, isn't that the last step in getting down how the images work?

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Er, they converted the images into jpegs, isn't that the last step in getting down how the images work?
No, WE didn't.

Segher did. Which is how it's known that we need SD-Key to decrypt the images.

So WE need to get that key, and make and app. Cause Segher most likely won't.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
No, WE didn't.

Segher did. Which is how it's known that we need SD-Key to decrypt the images.

So WE need to get that key, and make and app. Cause Segher most likely won't.
Ah, that puts a wrinkle in it.
And that style of encryption is designed so that it should be impossible to figure out the key by looking at the encrypted and decrypted files...
I hope we can figure it out. Maybe in time for the English release, so we can start sharing all kinds of fun screen shots :laugh:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Now, I've played over twelve hundred times more Smash Brothers than I ever have of any game in the Halo series, and I am so excited for Brawl compared to what I was for Halo 3 that by comparison I detest the Halo series, even though I bought a 360 just for Halo 3.

But I bought a Wii for Brawl, with Mario Galaxy and several other very fun games as a side product so that doesn't seem like anything special for me.

So, to tie this into the topic:

I think on the issue of screenshots, I have to give a gold star to Bungie and Microsoft.
Now, they didn't include screenshot-taking as well as Brawl does because they force you to be in replay mode to take the screenshots, but they do let you

*Upload the screenshots to their webspace
*Download the full screenshot to your computer at a higher resolution than the game was played at.

Now, I may just be dumb, but what's with all of this trouble to encrypt the screenshots, Nintendo?

Having screenshots of Halo all over the internet hasn't hurt the game in any way, and may have even helped with it's popularity.

Now we're having to go through all of this trouble to decrypt the screenshots.

Microsoft +1
Nintendo -1

Oh, and for contrast, I honestly would smash my Halo 3 edition XBOX360 and snap my Halo 3 disc in two if someone would give me a Japanese Wii and a copy of Brawl to do it.

Any takers? PM me if you would want to do this. Offer expires on March 9th 2008.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Now, I've played over twelve hundred times more Smash Brothers than I ever have of any game in the Halo series, and I am so excited for Brawl compared to what I was for Halo 3 that by comparison I detest the Halo series, even though I bought a 360 just for Halo 3.

But I bought a Wii for Brawl, with Mario Galaxy and several other very fun games as a side product so that doesn't seem like anything special for me.

I think on the issue of screenshots, I have to give a gold star to Bungie and Microsoft.
Now, they didn't include screenshot-taking as well as Brawl does because they force you to be in replay mode to take the screenshots, but they do let you

*Download the full screenshot to your computer at a higher resolution than the game was played at.

Now, I may just be dumb, but what's with all of this trouble to encrypt the screenshots, Nintendo?

Having screenshots of Halo all over the internet hasn't hurt the game in any way, and may have even helped with it's popularity.

Microsoft +1
Nintendo -1

Oh, and for contrast, I honestly would smash my Halo 3 edition XBOX360 and snap my Halo 3 disc in two if someone would give me a Japanese Wii and a copy of Brawl to do it.

Any takers? PM me if you would want to do this. Offer expires on March 9th 2008.
Modchip + Dual Layer Iso from torrent site = You can play brawl as soon as you want.

On the subject of Nintendo Encrypting the images.

Yes, It is absolutely ridiculous that they encrypted them. All that does is create negative feedback for the game and unhappy customers. Allow the screenshot's to be viewed on the computer would give the game even more life.

TheBigBadCow

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I've been following this for a while... Let me get this straight

A guy named Segher managed to use the SD-key to write a code to decrypt the encryption in the file... But he won't release it to the public due to possible copyright laws. It shouldn't be too hard to use the raw code. Hell, even I can do that and I know nothing about programming.

Where did he get the SD-key?

More importantly, what is an SD-key? :( Here's where I'm still at a loss (and undoubtedly, many other people, too)

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Modchip + Dual Layer Iso from torrent site = You can play brawl as soon as you want.

On the subject of Nintendo Encrypting the images.

Yes, It is absolutely ridiculous that they encrypted them. All that does is create negative feedback for the game and unhappy customers. Allow the screenshot's to be viewed on the computer would give the game even more life.
I know I could just torrent it, and in fact, I live with somebody that already has a copy that they got doing just that.

But I'm only going to play it on a retail disc, thanks.

As for the screenshots being encrypted, it still boggles my mind.
I mean, it saves them to SD cards! What would make you think "I'm going to let users save their photos to a card (That was created to hold photos in the first place) but make sure that they can only see them on a Wii with Smash Bros. Brawl running! What a great idea!"

I'm sorry, that's enough negativity from me.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't it be much easier to "crack" if you had included the .cue file for download?
This isn't a CD ISO.

This is merely a BIN file.
There are no .cue files. And no need for one.

Just because something has the same file extension. Doesn't mean it's the same type of file.

There are many file extensions that have varying purposes.

"Binary files are used for a wide variety of content and can be associated with a great many different programs. In general, a .BIN file will look like garbage when viewed in a file editor and unless there is some clue in the ASCII portion of the file (if any) there is little one can do to determine which program a particular .BIN file goes with. The context of the file (where it is located) may help. Sometimes a CD or DVD image is circulated as a .BIN file. These images must be either written to a disc or opened using a virtual CD/DVD disc program."

Mechageo

Smash Ace
This isn't a CD ISO.

This is merely a BIN file.
There are no .cue files. And no need for one.

Just because something has the same file extension. Doesn't mean it's the same type of file.

There are many file extensions that have varying purposes.
Like the extension .nfo being one Windows tries to load settings from when in fact it is generally used as the new version of the 'readme' file.

taki

Smash Rookie
well...sadly that i didn't understand what you say but i know what you try ...i haven't knowledge about code in computer - - ....but i need to cheer you all ...i think we can closely to crack it ^^

well done and ganbare ><b

Remfin

Smash Rookie
So, can custom stages be un-encrypted using the same method?
Has anyone uploaded any? I haven't seen any so it's hard to tell. I think it would be based on how crazily they are written.

It will undoubtedly be possibly to parse them and create some kind of image or description of them. And it's almost 100% you can put them on a website for people to download them outside the confines of the game and copy them back manually. It is doubtful, however, that there will be a PC stage editor because if this data is treated like the rest of data on the Wii it is signed and no one has the ability to sign right now.

That raises another interesting question I guess. If SSBB screenshots are not signed you could probably create a "screenshot" of whatever you want and load it. Not exactly useful but fun to try a few times I guess :)

holizz

Smash Cadet
Has anyone uploaded any? I haven't seen any so it's hard to tell. I think it would be based on how crazily they are written.
Good point. Stages: http://holizz.googlepages.com/st.zip

I made a few almost-identical stages back before I knew they were encrypted. Should be helpful, I hope, to anybody with the SD-key (I had a big search for it today, and I couldn't find a copy - any hints?). "stages" details the names and creation times of the files. They go in /private/wii/app/RSBJ/st on the SD card. The pieces in the stage creator are all rectangular (made up of same-sized squares).

If anybody working on decryption wants any made-to-order snapshots, stages, or videos creating, feel free to PM me.

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice

Microsoft +1
Nintendo -1

I agree, when I saw the snapshot feature on the Dojo I was expecting something more like Halo 3. : (

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
Is this the only forum in which the discussion of cracking the snapshots is going on, or is there another place on the web you guys are discussing this?

Remfin

Smash Rookie
Good point. Stages: http://holizz.googlepages.com/st.zip

If anybody working on decryption wants any made-to-order snapshots, stages, or videos creating, feel free to PM me.
I sure hope those are encrypted or else they are way out of my league :p
Is this the only forum in which the discussion of cracking the snapshots is going on, or is there another place on the web you guys are discussing this?
I haven't found any, if you find any pass along the URL!

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
Are they all the same stage size? Can you post the two other stage sizes, with one blank stage, and one filled with the same block? Also, one stage completely the same but with different music and background?

Can someone use the SD key to decrypt them?
How would one perform the decryption anyway?

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
If one of the people here had the SD-Key, That person wouldn't say in this topic that they have it.
What are the chances we're actually going to be able to find that SD Key anyway? I'm starting to worry that nobody will find it and we'll never get a converter application out.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Well, I've been looking at the cod in TextPad and, obviously, I haven't been able to discern anything crackable.

But the coding pattern looks almost identical to a JPEG file, right down to the similar number of lines for similar sizes of files, except that the BIN file is slightly larger. What I'm guessing is that the file gets saved as a JPEG then goes through a very mild encryption process, something that could be done quickly enough to be bearable on the Wii while a program is running.

If someone could get their hands on Brawl's code and figure out which part is responsible for encrypting these images, then I think we'll be in business.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Well, I've been looking at the cod in TextPad and, obviously, I haven't been able to discern anything crackable.

But the coding pattern looks almost identical to a JPEG file, right down to the similar number of lines for similar sizes of files, except that the BIN file is slightly larger. What I'm guessing is that the file gets saved as a JPEG then goes through a very mild encryption process, something that could be done quickly enough to be bearable on the Wii while a program is running.

If someone could get their hands on Brawl's code and figure out which part is responsible for encrypting these images, then I think we'll be in business.
I posted a URL with the files I extracted from the Brawl disc, one of them most likely being the file that does the encryption. But that doesn't mean the key is in that file. The file may perform the actions. But uses the SD-Key which is stored on your Wii.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
What are the chances we're actually going to be able to find that SD Key anyway? I'm starting to worry that nobody will find it and we'll never get a converter application out.
You didn't get what I was saying.

For all you know. Some of us could already have it. But no one is going to publicly say that they have it.

Get what i'm saying now?

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
You didn't get what I was saying.

For all you know. Some of us could already have it. But no one is going to publicly say that they have it.

Get what i'm saying now?
I see what you mean except for one thing, why would someone not tell us they have it? Is it illegal? Im not sure whats going on.

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
So segher was able to get a .jpg from the .bin yes? So it can be done. Why isn't he releasing how he did this again?

holizz

Smash Cadet
Is it illegal?
That all depends on the country you live in. I think it would be illegal in the USA due to their DMCA which makes many things illegal (see Wikipedia article). I think the UK/EU might have something similar, but I'm not sure. As for the rest of the world, I have no idea.

At best, it is of questionable legality. This is why nobody will post it in this thread.

mthegreatone

Smash Cadet
Well, that's just the Save Data. Most WFC enabled games don't let you do that, since the friend codes are tied to the console and everything.
transferring game saves is not the issue...it's whether or not the data can be hacked such that a common image file can be extracted for everyone to view. there's little interest in using someone else's save file for a game such as SSB anyway, but i am also very much interested if the container file can be hacked to grab the image files from.

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
Gentlemen, start your hex editors. If anyone is familiar with image formats/JPEG, I think now would be the time to help.

Someone is working on the images, and has gotten past the encryption, but the image format isn't -quite- JPEG. Here are some sample files from the .bin files posted in this thread that they have decoded:

http://rapidshare.com/files/94947097/brawlscreens.zip.html

IrfanView can even view the Snake one, I think. The issue is that some of them, mainly the colorful ones, are very close to JPEG format. Others, especially the nearly solid black image and solid white image, are strange and don't match the JPEG specification. Presumably it's something crazy Nintendo did, but maybe someone here can help figure it out.

*edit* Here's the JPEG specification (not the JFIF one) if anyone wants it. Appendix B has the most interesting stuff, I think (markers).

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/JPEG/itu-t81.pdf

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
Thanks GTCoder! I'm not very good with this stuff, but I'm sure it will come in handy for those studs who are working on this.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Gentlemen, start your hex editors. If anyone is familiar with image formats/JPEG, I think now would be the time to help.

Someone is working on the images, and has gotten past the encryption, but the image format isn't -quite- JPEG. Here are some sample files from the .bin files posted in this thread that they have decoded:

http://rapidshare.com/files/94947097/brawlscreens.zip.html

IrfanView can even view the Snake one, I think. The issue is that some of them, mainly the colorful ones, are very close to JPEG format. Others, especially the nearly solid black image and solid white image, are strange and don't match the JPEG specification. Presumably it's something crazy Nintendo did, but maybe someone here can help figure it out.

*edit* Here's the JPEG specification (not the JFIF one) if anyone wants it. Appendix B has the most interesting stuff, I think (markers).

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/JPEG/itu-t81.pdf
Howly ****.. there ARE similarities with the JPEG format!
I'll look into it after school.

Btw.. is there any possible way to get the source of the decoding process?
If we really do crack them, I'd like to code a small tool to view and convert them. :x

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Howly ****.. there ARE similarities with the JPEG format!
I'll look into it after school.

Btw.. is there any possible way to get the source of the decoding process?
If we really do crack them, I'd like to code a small tool to view and convert them. :x
That was the main intention of this thread. To crack the files and create and app for anyone to use.

Top Bottom