• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Snapshot files. We need to crack em!

TheBigBadCow

Smash Cadet
Great work, GT.

I gotta wonder though... why are the pictures such horrible quality? Do the screenshots look that bad in-game?

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
Great work, GT.

I gotta wonder though... why are the pictures such horrible quality? Do the screenshots look that bad in-game?
Still dunno. Could someone with Brawl please confirm? It was suggested that the Wii does additional rendering (especially maybe 4x anti-aliasing) to make the pictures look better.

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...I don't know how the files were cracked (and don't try to explain it for my sake, I won't get it) but I have to wonder...will this utility work for the English version?

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...I don't know how the files were cracked (and don't try to explain it for my sake, I won't get it) but I have to wonder...will this utility work for the English version?
I'd imagine so, or if not, it will be very similar. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

WiiRevolution1

Smash Cadet
Thanks GTCoder for that program!

I used it with my copy of brawl and here are the results;

It works great! I will deffintly use this program in the future =)

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad no one's getting the errors. I guess it's only images with very few colors that cause problems. If anyone has the time, another of those would be helpful. (as well as a comment from someone with Brawl about whether the snapshot looks better on the Wii than on the computer).

Here's the program, hosted on something besides rapidshare if anyone wants it:
http://www.zshare.net/download/82337603fa83ec/

(beware, there may be not-safe-for-work ads on that site)

And here's the out2jpg code:
http://upload2.net/page/download/t9pQKzvYcRxqFih/bin2jpg.c.html

(rename the file if you want...despite the name, that program actually only converts .OUT files to JPG, not .BIN).

T-major

Smash Champion
GTCoder. you deserve this.

I'll be using this once I get Brawl. but I have to ask; are you going to keep working on this program to get it to work better?

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
I'll be using this once I get Brawl. but I have to ask; are you going to keep working on this program to get it to work better?
Yep, at least into a more user-friendly form, and hopefully so it works on all images. And of course verifying that it works on USA Brawl. (if I can figure out the last image part I might take a break to look at stages though).

AND JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS: HUGE thanks go to segher. I'm not sure why he didn't want to release his stuff, but he's been very kind to share his time and info with me regarding the JPG stuff. He's the one who explained the LZSS stuff, and I'm talking to him at this very moment to try to nail down what's left.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Ok, I missed like this entire topic...

Is there an app now for converting the files from the SD card/Wii to an actual picture?

Can someone just repost the link if there is one?

Thanks.

HunterEX

Smash Rookie
Looks kinda squished, but otherwise okay. Can replays be manipulated in a similar way?

Betrayed

Smash Ace
Ok, I missed like this entire topic...

Is there an app now for converting the files from the SD card/Wii to an actual picture?

Can someone just repost the link if there is one?

Thanks.
Scroll up.

Anyways, amazing work everybody. I didn't expect this to go anywhere, but I guess we all get proven wrong sometimes.

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the source. It compiles and runs perfectly on Linux after changing the slash on line 7. Very good work.
Oh gad good catch. XD By the way, are you using an SD-card reader that runs on Linux? Or just using other people's decoded .bin files?

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Very awesome stuff. I can't wait to finally do some of this stuff when the game is released. The title of this thread has to be changed to "SSBB snapshot files: CRACKED!"

Also, I'm sorry if I missed this, but how about recorded matches? Are they already in a format viewable on a media player (doubtful)? Or will that require work as well? Is it even possible?

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
The general assumption seems to be that replays are in some special format that tells the game how to replay them (i.e. this item here, this player moving here) instead of like a MPG video. If anyone wants to post a replay, I can try looking at it, but I'm not too optimistic.

holizz

Smash Cadet
By the way, are you using an SD-card reader that runs on Linux? Or just using other people's decoded .bin files?
My laptop's multi-card reader works with SD cards. Doesn't work with XD cards, so I have a USB multi-card reader for my camera's memory.

And yes, I am using other people's decoded .bin files to test bin2jpg with. Like those files in brawlscreens.zip. Your bindecrypt.exe would probably work under Wine, but I haven't tried it.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
Ondo, I guess you figured out when I was going to post (that was fairly obvious). :p As in, bindecrypt will also work on the level .bin files. I already tried that and noticed, like you, that there is JPG data (!) in it of some sort. It's a very small image, like 100x120 (I forget the dimensions), but I couldn't get it to decrypt correctly, like with the white.out and black.out files. I'm really hoping segher will be nice to me one more time if I can talk to him about it.
Actually, I hadn't noticed the JPG data in the level files - I just figured the first thing out2jpg would do is to handle the LZSS, which I had noticed was in the level files.

My guess is the decryption algorithm changes slightly for small files. Regardless, I'm looking into it.

AerialAce!

Smash Rookie
Alright, I've downloaded the program. Could anyone tell me how to make it work? (in layman's terms, please...)

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I've downloaded the program. Could anyone tell me how to make it work? (in layman's terms, please...)
I'm thinking the easiest way would probably be to unzip the files into some directory, and then copy a bunch of .BIN files into that directory as well.

Then you can just run the bin2jpgall batch file (double-click on it from Windows Explorer). It should create a bunch of JPG files in the directory.

Then you can just delete the .BIN files from that directory, and move/rename the JPG files. There will also be some .OUT files that you can simply delete.

In short, copy your .BIN files in, run the bin2jpgall file, copy the JPGs out of the directory, and delete everything from the directory except for OUT2JPG, BINDECRYPT, BIN2JPGALL, and CYGWIN1.

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
Ah im using a mac, if someone could do a version for us mac users that would be so awesome. I turned on my windows 98 today to try out the converter :p

AerialAce!

Smash Rookie
I'm thinking the easiest way would probably be to unzip the files into some directory, and then copy a bunch of .BIN files into that directory as well.

Then you can just run the bin2jpgall batch file (double-click on it from Windows Explorer). It should create a bunch of JPG files in the directory.

Then you can just delete the .BIN files from that directory, and move/rename the JPG files. There will also be some .OUT files that you can simply delete.

In short, copy your .BIN files in, run the bin2jpgall file, copy the JPGs out of the directory, and delete everything from the directory except for OUT2JPG, BINDECRYPT, BIN2JPGALL, and CYGWIN1.
Thank you so much! I've never worked with such files before. This thing will be incredibly useful.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Thank you so much! I've never worked with such files before. This thing will be incredibly useful.
Yeah, you have to execute the file from the command prompt to do them one at a time. It's easier to just do it that way.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
The general assumption seems to be that replays are in some special format that tells the game how to replay them (i.e. this item here, this player moving here) instead of like a MPG video. If anyone wants to post a replay, I can try looking at it, but I'm not too optimistic.
Well, if cracking the video files can lead to game-breaking replays, then I'd really like that format cracked as well.

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
The only ones that didn't work were a stickers photo and another which, although I don't recall what it looked like, it was the smallest file.
Could you please post the two non-working .bin files? It might be helpful. Thanks!

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Just popping in to say thanks to all those who devoted their time so that this would become a reality. This will surely be an integral part of the smash community for years to come.

So yea, Thanks! And keep up the good work!

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Peach upskirt, zomg!
1st thought: Lace panties in Brawl, nice.

2nd thought: Who was the character modeler/texture artist who thought of that? >.>

3rd thought: Probably the same ones that worked on Ganondorf: and they got distracted.

But GJ GTcoder and all who helped make this thing work; I'll probably be using it when Brawl releases in the US

*edit* 4th thought: *looks at link to pics* and so it begins... :laugh:

espio87

Smash Ace
Peach upskirt, zomg!
I took about 30 screenshots (click for link)

The only ones that didn't work were a stickers photo and another which, although I don't recall what it looked like, it was the smallest file.
Very nice images. LOL at Olimar: He finally opened his eyes!:laugh:
You should take photos of the rest of the rooms in the mansion. They look very detailed and nicely done.

Top Bottom