• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM - miracle cure for ADD + dyslexia?

j3ly

Smash Champion
This game is.. amazing.
Its fast paced, hugely competitive, requires lightning fast hands for most characters, requires you to muscle-memorize countless button inputs and hand movements, all the time while looking mostly at the other character, AND trying to memorize their tech patters/jumping patterns/combo patters and DI patterns. Ontop of that there is so much room for error, and error = 80%/loss of stock against super pro players.

The question i ask here today, is SSBM - miracle cure for ADD + dyslexia (and dyspraxia)

The 3 disorders i mentioned about are all problems relating to the cerebellum. It is one of the key control centers of the brain, controlling memory, muscle memory (lol), hand-eye co-ordination, ability to connect with others on a significant level and much much more. Cerebellum dysfunction affects (don't quote me on this) i believe around 12-15% of the population, and manifests itself in one of the 3 neurological problems i mentioned above. It has been around as long as humans.

I was supposed to go on this course, to cure my ADD. It would involve stupid tasks - like walking up and down the stairs, throwing a bean-bag up and down and counting back from 20, and similar activities, twice a day for a year. The idea is to bombard the cerebellum, forcing it to grow (mine is running at 90% efficiency) and thus eliminate the disorder. Unfortunately i never went through with it.

Once i understood how ADD worked, i worked out my own ways of manipulating my brain to minimize its affects, and working out ways to train my cerebellum by myself.

I can honestly say that SMASH MELEE has had a massive effect on helping me reduce my ADD. I know the feeling of my cerebellum being challenged. Its like, whatever activity (has to be reasonably complex) has a mist shrouded over it - after attempting to uncover the mist, i feel a huge sense of being overwhelmed - this is the feeling of an underdeveloped cerebellum struggling to cope with the activity. obviously it is much more complex than that but its the only way i can describe it. The two things that challenged me most were trying to mix tracks on my turntables, and learning particular tech-skills that were beyond my level at the time.

Its been 6 months since i've been playing smash, maybe a little more - and there is a noticeable difference. many tasks i found kinda hard (ill let people know at this point i am no re**rd, i am highly intelligent imo) , i no longer find a challenge atall. One friend i hadn't seen in 6 months even commented how i was totally different, and loads of my friends said my ADD seems to be slowly going. If i can get my head around turntables i feel it will be almost gone.

I owe this all to smash! There is no doubt in my mind, not even a tiny lil schmeckling. Anyone else with similar experiences? People held back by dyslexia, to find out their spelling has improved, almost mystically, around the time they started playing smash? I aimed to be a very technical player from day 1, perhaps that had some effect in it.

The play of smash is somewhat similar to the ADD exercises - throwing and catching a beanbag = way more complex movements of smash. Calling/thinking out numbers in my head = trying to decipher my opps movements.

Done.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i think mlg might pick melee back up if they read this. seriousely, **** is inspirational.

micheal phelps had ADD. and it was "cured" by his favorite hobby, swimming.

as long as u dont use ADD as a type of john, ur cool. ^_=

j3ly

Smash Champion
lol no johns :p but when i actually start doing this thing to get rid of ADD (google DORE programme - they are extinct and are only catering to people who have already payed now though) my reading and memory will be so much better - and i'm already rising up the ranks fast

i think of many things as before i started smash, and after. almost everything is better after smash, except motivation in other games cause melee dwarfed them all!

MELEE 4 PRESIDENT!

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
It may not just be Melee, but having a hobby that you are passionate enough about. I have an ADD friend who used to be out of control, couldn't hold a conversation or do anything for too long. She started painting about a year ago, every day consistently, and all of us have noticed a huge change in her. She has calmed down considerably, and now gives the best advice out of any of my friends, something that I would never have dared ask from her a year ago. A mentally stimulating hobby probably does the trick, but mindless hobbies wouldn't work, even if your passionate about them. ;) (i.e smoking *** to get rid of your dislexia= not gonna happen)

j3ly

Smash Champion
lol *** and smash i a whooole other topic, a deep one too. i ***** draw only at 1 friends house, and only when we play smash. i must say those are the most epic games i ever have.

i wanna do a test, every wednesday i play with someone my exact ability. play him on a normal level 20 games and see, then get a **** and see the difference. tho gettin hold of it is too long to consider.

maybe its that we both become awful and apreciate a lower tech-skill bc were *****. w/e

tho that hobby idea makes alot of sense imo

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
for dyslexia, I am I had problems telling which ice climber is which for many years, when I learned about wavedashing and everything I never mixed them up again. And now that I think about it I because better at speed reading lol. before I was able to tell popo and nana apart. I could read the 2nd harry potter book in 2 days. I can now read the 7th one in a day. and I understood it. Melee is to good

j3ly

Smash Champion
the last part of your post is unfathomable in my current sleepy state (im sorry) but the first part reinforces what i am trying to spread perfectly.

:)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ssbm just makes me procrastinate more on my homework
why are you so good melee... wah

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
If you would have played brawl your brain would have died. Melee saves lives. True fact.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I use melee to get out of my head to prevent mental break downs I,ve been grounded for 4 weeks minus 3 weekends. I,ve had 2 mental break downs and was bipolar as F*** for 3 days. I need out of my head half a hour every 2 days or I will start driving myself crazier

Marty

Smash Apprentice
you could make comparisons like that to a lot of things/games/activities

but hey, a placebo is a placebo

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
That was a really good read. I suffered with ADD growing up myself, and I have minor dyslexia. My dad basically forced me in the way you are describing, with different activities. From ages 10 - 14 my dad would constantly teach me new things, specifically different types of board games (chess) and forced me to focus. From these actions I was able to focus on school a lot better, and it helped overall with every day activities I struggled with, like remembering to feed my cat, do my homework, etc. without getting distracted by other things. Once in a while I still find myself slumping off but I've basically equated it to occasional laziness by this point v_v. After my diagnosis, I never once took meds for ADD. I think i'm cured. I'm a waiter at Olive Garden, and that is a job that does not allow ADD or being distracted. You have to be focused as hell.

I could definitely understand why playing melee would have the same effect. Good to hear it had positive effects ^_^

ephoenix6

Smash Rookie
I personally believe that melee at a basic level (general game-play with the exception of severe camping) may in fact support attention deficit disorder due to the fact that most of the game is fast paced and very instant; requiring little wait time. In the real world however, patience is sometimes required, but if you're used to the instant response given in melee, you may feel more impatient around others, a key problem with ADD. Camping however, may improve patience, but the game can still be more fast paced than the real world, so less entertaining at times, leading to a potentially lower attention span.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
I don't think your ADD is going away because of Melee specifically but rather because you have a hobby that requires lots of concentration. I too have ADD, however it has certainly toned down a great deal, however I think it just has to do with more maturing.

I do believe a game like this can actually mature someone especially if they are new to competitive gaming.
It's very humbling and many of the concepts are very philosophical in their nature but on the other end, many other hobbies can mature someone as well :p.

I think the rest of the people here have it pretty down on what's going on here, but it's good to hear that you're coming out of it.

j3ly

Smash Champion
I personally believe that melee at a basic level (general game-play with the exception of severe camping) may in fact support attention deficit disorder due to the fact that most of the game is fast paced.
i dont understand, when you say supports add do you mean it helps, or hinders?

ru5514n

Smash Ace
I personally believe that melee at a basic level (general game-play with the exception of severe camping) may in fact support attention deficit disorder due to the fact that most of the game is fast paced and very instant; requiring little wait time. In the real world however, patience is sometimes required, but if you're used to the instant response given in melee, you may feel more impatient around others, a key problem with ADD. Camping however, may improve patience, but the game can still be more fast paced than the real world, so less entertaining at times, leading to a potentially lower attention span.
No. In Melee, especially at higher levels of play requires a lot of concentration. Unless you are a complete scrub who only uses the C-stick, you probably pay attention to what your opponent does, and you react accordingly, which helps your concentration. Now if you play Brawl, that's a WHOLE different story. Watching Brawl videos will cause ADD, there should be a study that proves it:chuckle:

j3ly

Smash Champion
mmm im not going to totaly disregard what you say, but i dont agree with it - im interested in the subject of psychology as a whole though so ill look into it myself before making a full response.

sufficed to say - if they do, which would make sense - inactivity of the brain (its a muscle, use it or loose it) would likely reduce the power/efficiency of the cerebellum. However, while SSBM is a game, and promotes inactivity - it is a game like no other, and is one of maybe less then 20 which require your brain to work in a very difficult and precise way - nothing like tv, or most other games.

in conclusion - that (your) theory applys to staring, potatoe brained at a tv, concentrating in a very different way - more of a zombie mode then concentrating. While SSBM may seem like any other game - we all know that at a high level of play is ceases to even be a GAME anymore (in more... an ideological sense then a literal one), its a tool to train the brain and teaches you how to think on a whole other level.

What do ya kno lol, didn't have to do research - i disagree, Joe.

j3ly

Smash Champion
oh yeah, and the news only say that we have so-and-so soldiers across the boarder - did they tell you of the private, paid mercenaries? This is a whole other debate obvs, but there ARE many, many more soldiers over there then we are aware of - the news don't always tell the whole truth, even reputable ones like the BBC over here in England. I'm just making a small point, PLEASE disregard this and noone post a reply >.< though if u really wanted to you could PM me.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
mmm im not going to totaly disregard what you say, but i dont agree with it - im interested in the subject of psychology as a whole though so ill look into it myself before making a full response.

sufficed to say - if they do, which would make sense - inactivity of the brain (its a muscle, use it or loose it) would likely reduce the power/efficiency of the cerebellum. However, while SSBM is a game, and promotes inactivity - it is a game like no other, and is one of maybe less then 20 which require your brain to work in a very difficult and precise way - nothing like tv, or most other games.

in conclusion - that (your) theory applys to staring, potatoe brained at a tv, concentrating in a very different way - more of a zombie mode then concentrating. While SSBM may seem like any other game - we all know that at a high level of play is ceases to even be a GAME anymore (in more... an ideological sense then a literal one), its a tool to train the brain and teaches you how to think on a whole other level.

What do ya kno lol, didn't have to do research - i disagree, Joe.
Don't worry about it, I'm pretty sure he was just joking xP

I'm not friends with any ADD people, but I do know someone who has dyslexia, and his spelling improved massively when he started playing Starcraft. It was probably a similar thing happening :laugh:. Either way, that's awesome to hear and pretty inspiring. Melee is definitely the best game ever :chuckle:

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Actually joe, I'm gonna have to disagree with you.

Many kids that have ADD play videogames, but videogames are in no way responsible for GIVING kids ADD. In fact ADD and ADHD can't be GIVEN, I'd know a lot about this stuff as I study psychology fairly often and furthermore have ADD myself. ADD is genetically given and can be seen through heritage. Videogames provide an outlet for many kids with ADD to entertain themselves, but it doesn't necessarily perpetuate the problem either, so it's not responsible for ADD it's just many kids with ADD flock to them.

Videogames are actually a very good benefit to human kind in my opinion and many negative stigmas get attached to them for whatever reason, probably just following the crowd and pointing the finger searching for a problem.

Also it has already been proven videogames actually stimulate the brain. Even games that may lack competitive depth still require a lot of abstract thinking that most of the time our demographic (14-25 year olds brought up on them) isn't aware of. Have you ever seen an adult play a first person shooter for the first time? I'm not even talking about control issues here, they can't even map out where to go among many other problems. Video games improve spatial relativity like no ones business and also stimulate parts of your brain that I'm not too fluent in but are responsible for many abstract processes (I'm fully aware the cerebral cortex goes into abstract thinking, but what I'm talking about is a bit different,go do the research it's kind of weird).

Also there has been many recent articles opposing what you're saying and agree very much with j3ly right here, in fact just search "videogames add" and they should be front page material.

Smashbros. in specific being a rather in-depth videogame, I think, could provide a hobby and a very conscience humbling experience. While being a videogame and providing all the normal abstract, spactial mapping required to play it in the first place, also involves something that adds more to the mix. The only reason I can see videogames being bad, is if bad habits in them start up (any hobby can be bad if taken to obsession or seen incorrectly) and thinking ceases. Some people after playing a videogame for a while DO do something similar to watching T.V.-- which is bad. However, this is what smashbros. , Halo, SC and the like differ, because at higher levels of play require thinking (this is why some people are better at in in the first place anyway) and require on your feet thinking. Though not very explored, mindgames are the weirdest thing to experience when you just KNOW what the person is going to do. This is seen in many other competitive sports and I think holds a lot of merit, but mindgames seem to be a very abstract person to person connection, the most awkward instinctual gut feeling that-- when actually looked at requires MANY MANY variables and levels of depth to be sorted through. Obviously it's in my opinion that practicing mindgames is also a very good brain stimulation to many different levels of the brain. This part ISN'T fact or statistic, however I'm sure logically many people can agree with me with their own experiences.

With all this, I think games like smashbros. DO provide a beneficial, very stimulating hobby that COULD mature someone and help them with problems such as ADD. Maybe it's not a direct connection, SSBM curing ADD, however the steps of getting good at SSBM COULD help someone with ADD.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Nice post j3ly. ;)

And really... guys, no need to write essays on ADD and video games, it's pretty obvious Joe is joking.

j3ly

Smash Champion
im bumping this because it might seriously help some people brainz lol

G U R U

Smash Lord
Melee 4 Life!

And that point about the adults who try to play FPS is soooo true. Even my 35 year old brother was like "wtf how do I play this" when I let him try Halo. He hasn't played much video games since the Nes I think lol.

Pi

Smash Hero
SSBM has definitely had an effect on the way I think about many aspects of my life, and about any competition I enter. It has also been something that I was never deterred away from even though I was not automatically the best at it. I ENJOY practicing new techs, mastering my character, practicing to be both flashy and functional. Very rarely do I ever commit myself so wholeheartedly to a game as I did to Melee. The overwhelming amount of knowledge that you have to bring to every match to win is fulfilling in a weird way. I can go into a match, and lose, terribly, but know WHY I lost, and see ways to improve. I have never fought a matchup that I thought was utterly impossible to win (jiggs vs. samus almost had me though). I'm always looking for new techs to learn, new ways to implement old techs, always thinking of new strategies, where I could position my missiles to counter X playstyle, ways to get back onto the stage, keep my opponent guessing. Trying to prepare for every scenario (something I do not only with smash but all the time with many aspects of my life), and even after years and years of playing smash I still have a ways to go before I'm the best, but I don't see it as out of my reach, I see faults in my opponents and my own gameplay that can be exploited or improved. All this thinking, planning, practicing, really carries over elsewhere and I have melee to thank for that.

Top Bottom