• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*ssbo Thread Has Been Moved*

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
An interesting excerpt from Iwata Asks: volume 5...

We’ve touched upon it several times during our talk, but I truly believe that Smash Bros. was made with less talented gamers in mind, and the idea that stronger players shouldn’t dominate game play is prevalent throughout the game. If you and I were to square off for ten matches, for example, I could KO you at least once.

I truly believe that Smash Bros. was made with less talented gamers in mind, and the idea that stronger players shouldn’t dominate game play is prevalent throughout the game.

Smash Bros. was made with less talented gamers in mind, and the idea that stronger players shouldn’t dominate game play

less talented gamers in mind, and the idea that stronger players shouldn’t dominate

the idea that stronger players shouldn’t dominate

stronger players shouldn’t dominate

Yeah...

We're boned.

To make an analogy, if Melee was chess, this is Brawl,

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I officially hate SmashBros. and the people who made it.

I'm going to play Halo now.

_kSo_

Smash Master
halo is dum

Smashbros is honestly just a different type of game that doesn't follow the 2d/3d fighter pattern that street fighter, guilty gear, tekken, mvc2, etc follow

nobody at EVOeast2006 respected smash when i was there. there was almost no one who wanted to watch it. but then they saw it being played at a level that they had never seen before, which is why the smash community is such a great community. In games like street fighter, you can't see mind****s as well as you can in smashbros. combos in street fighter always work because there is no DI. obviously.

however i will say this, soul calibur is the easiest game ever made. the mind games are so shallow and the combos are so easy that a 3 yr old could go pro in it

goosefactor

Smash Lord
halo is dum

Smashbros is honestly just a different type of game that doesn't follow the 2d/3d fighter pattern that street fighter, guilty gear, tekken, mvc2, etc follow

nobody at EVOeast2006 respected smash when i was there. there was almost no one who wanted to watch it. but then they saw it being played at a level that they had never seen before, which is why the smash community is such a great community. In games like street fighter, you can't see mind****s as well as you can in smashbros. combos in street fighter always work because there is no DI. obviously.

however i will say this, soul calibur is the easiest game ever made. the mind games are so shallow and the combos are so easy that a 3 yr old could go pro in it
I get what you're saying, KSO, but you're comparing smash to all the other fighting games. If you compare brawl's competitive scene to melee's, then it sounds like brawl is gonna suck because there won't be as big a gap between the pro and noob. For example, in melee, my little cousin would NEVER be able to beat me even if we played 1000 matches. But even if I were to practice as long in brawl as I did in melee, there would be a chance that he would because I will not have as big a bag of tricks such as wavedashing, SHL (if I used falco), DJC'ing, etc., to pull out of my a**. It seems evident the hard work that we put into brawl won't pay nearly as many dividends as it did for melee because there won't be as much to utilize and master in the game.

Lavos, you're post really does drive home my point. But hey, this is just my opinion. Perhaps in time people will find different, more effective glitches/techniques than even melee had. Here's hoping.

my fox is getting better. i want to be able to destroy sheiks with fox...
I know how you feel. I wish I had more confidence with my fox so that I could use him against all the sheiks out there in the world. But alas...I'm stuck with being screwed when someone uses her:(

ur sheik is getting good
uh oh!

Anyways, I gotta go. I should've left for school like 20 mins ago:embarrass

NJzFinest

Smash Hero

Money Match in Soul Calibur???
What you said here pretty much equals what Kirk and the others in their hall say about Smash64, expect even worse (since they can actually back up some of the shinanegins that make up that game). The similarity lies in the fact they don't play that game, not even casually, but still think they're able to judge it.

It's harder to get to a decent competitive level in Soul Calibur then Smash. 3D fighters at a high level reward meta-game and system knowledge more than most fighters over dexterity and execution. It's much easier to win by using Sheik or Peach in SmashBros than trying to attempt impossible to land or easily "DI-able" combos you speak of in SoulCal. I onced said the learning curve in Soul Calibur was easier, but it looks like I was indeed wrong about that before. Don't you think a game with 26 characters but narrowed down to only 4 seem a little weird?

I actually place SoulCalibur as a much better fighter than SmashBros in general. Go ahead and argue, but I won't bother replying. I mean, it's not like we're on a forum dedicated to people who devote their lives to this game lol. I haven't seen a single "Best Fighting Game" list where SoulCalibur wasn't in first place. If you can find one where it isn't, then take into account how it's always above SmashBros.

I just play Smash more because of the fact the community is more alive. SC died after meta-game altering glitches were discovered and SC3 expanded on them.

But yeah, Halo 1 PC is where it's at, I can't wait to get my laptop back and play it again.

Btw, I made a thread based on what Lavos said and it's becoming quite popular:
Competitive players won't dominate???

ac_burito

Smash Journeyman
i always thought that the idea of melee was to create a game that people of all levels could play. its obvious that a pro would be more capable of beating a noob in melee. but if sticking to the theory that all levels of people could play wouldnt it then make sense that they would then try to even out the playing field even more? and find newer ways to do so?

but my cousin and i have talked about what makes the game so neat (melee) is that all ages and skill levels can play. i guess i havent done too much research on brawl but i just feel like nintendo wouldnt ruin such a good thing. they know how popular melee is and i just dont see them making something that wouldnt appeal to those that play the game the most/take the game most seriously.

i dunno those are just my thoughts but feel free to correct or comment on them

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Oh, Lavos, I forgot to mention in my previous post how much I liked your analogy. It was very funny yet sadly, very true.

AfricanZulu

Smash Cadet
This is Carl on Andre's account. It seems he never logged off of Dirun's computer :p

So yeah, if you haven't seen the Brawl intro yet, look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRBsajRrnY8
hahah nice, thanks Karl (C :p)

I just watched the video, i got like goosebumps at the end of it, its soooo good, and the music is amazing.

But like all good things the english version's music is gonna suck, its the same in all Anime's the Japanese version has a million times better music. I just hope Nintendo does not do the same with brawl.

As for the competitiveness of Brawl. Nintendo will have a lot to answer for if it ends up like one-in-a-row.

Thanks Jay

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Thanks Karl for the vid. This is what I was looking forward to on Thursday when it came out in Japan. I gotta make sure not to see anything else though. I don't want to know about any hidden characters and stuff. It's gonna be hard not to though being on this site and all. Oh, I thought you spelled your name with a 'K'. Now I'm confused.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Heh, nice pic, Carl. I don't know whether that pic is accurate with KSO and Soul Cal., but its hilarious nevertheless. In fact the whole level with Sir Francois made me crack up. The best was the true and false question: "All RPG's should take at least 100+ hrs. and that's NOT including sidequests" - that's so me!!

On a more serious note, is this Saturday still a go? I just want to make sure so I can plan my weekend.
Carl- assuming the tournament is this weekend, in addition to "real battles," we need to do some low tier sets. I know you like to play with a lot of characters so I hope this sounds appealing to ya. This applies to everyone else too, of course.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
SSBO XII - Saturday, February 2, 2008, 12 PM, Noon

SSBO XII is good to go for this Saturday in the Tark TV lounge. This will be a paid entry event, $5 for singles and $10 per team. However, one absolutely key change of which all attendees must take note is the time change; this tourney will begin at noon, 12 PM, not 2 PM as previous SSBOs did. Other students signed out the room for the 6 PM-12 AM slots, and as such we must adjust our schedule. As well, because another event is using the room at 6, we must be prompt in removing our set-ups and whatnot.

So once again, SSBO XII is Saturday, February 2, 2008, in Tark's TV lounge at 12 PM, noon.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Ugh, now I gotta get up even earlier. You know, it doesn't help that you guys are an hour ahead!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
DID SOMEONE SAY LOW TIERS???

HELLZ YEA

I play pretty much every low tier on occasion but Pikachu and Game and Watch.

Dude, Kitsune, Ness is a good character lawl

And I'm loving the early 12 am tournament time like McDonalds. We get to play immediately :D

AfricanZulu

Smash Cadet
Wow just watched the latest update on smashbros.com the vid. Its insane, i creamed myself multiple times

_kSo_

Smash Master
First page updated! SSBO XII Scheduled @ 2/2/08 - 12:00pm

Ok guys, updated the first page.

SSBO XII, like ckit said, is going to be FEBRUARY 2ND @ 12PM.

This is crucial, as we would not want anyone to come at 2 and be like lolzz tournament??

so, in conclusion SSBO XI will be held this saturday, 2/2/08 @ 12PM

Sorry, if you have other plans, but this is the only time slot we can use this saturday because we waited far too long to sign the room out lol.

Also, it WILL be a money tournament,
$5 for singles
$10/team for doubles

Just to reiterate what CKIT said in case anyone has not seen it yet.

See everyone on saturday!

goosefactor

Smash Lord
This I gotta see! This is awfully risky, KSO. You do realized that your reputation will be shot if you lose this set, don't you?

*Are there any side bets going on?:chuckle:*

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
"The usual amount" lol

People I'm MMing:

DracoFox
Goosefactor
Kadian
Kirk?
"KSO"

Anyone else?

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Maus, MM'ing just makes it more fun and exciting. It's all in good fun. I'm not gonna be a poor sport or get pissed off if/when I lose. And it's not like we're betting a butt load of money or anything either.
Believe me, I still plan on playing friendlies with you too and anyone else who wants to play.

Jay, I wanna play you some more too. You've gotten better since I first played ya. But what ever happened to Ganondorf? I didn't see you use him at all last time. You throwing in the towel with him?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
i still don't understand why do people bet money on the game.. -_-
Welcome to the competitive scene Maus lol

Don't your heros, such as Phanna, enter tourneys and such but lose?

Money matches ---> no johns when people lose. Given the fact money is on the line, players actually try. Obviously, there's a reason why friendlies are called friendlies. Many players are curious to see how well they can do against another player. Friendlies are bad at judging this since players usually never try. You defiantly know this from experience playing me and the Purdue smashers. So, money matches and tournament sets (where money is on the line, *cough Kadian lol) are the best to see how players stand.

...hence my money match with Kirk, Pichu vs Falcon. I've beaten his Falcon in friendlies with low tiers several times but since they are friendlies, he didn't really care. He wasn't going to use Falcon in a tourney set...so in order for me to convince his Falcon is terrible, I challenged him to a money match. He was forced to try and had "no solid johns" after losing. After all that and beating his Sheik (his secondary) with DK and Samus in tournament sets. I now know that he can only use Falco :laugh:

However, money matches obviously aren't always to embarrass people. Considering the fact people try harder, it's a more intense and serious, making the fight more hyped and has a different level of fun. Also, people don't always get to face others in tournament matches...so money matching is like a shortcut :p

You should go to the Pound3 thread and ask why over hundreds and hundreds of players are attending when only the top 3 are going to win money. Consider the fact that registering was 75-100 dollars per person.

At the very least, keep those thoughts about money to yourself, since...one of the purposes of this site was to help people become competitive and win money.

Jay, I wanna play you some more too. You've gotten better since I first played ya. But what ever happened to Ganondorf? I didn't see you use him at all last time. You throwing in the towel with him?
Jay definitely hasn't given up on the Dorf. He's Gdorf has gotten at better recently. I have trouble returning on to stage or even approaching him. He's forced me to play much more careful. Oh, and I'm talking about when I'm using my Fox O_o
I think Jay's Gdorf is even with Maus's Sheik. But since Sheik is such a better character...blah blah, you know what's next.
But yeah, much respect to Jay, keep beasting with that Ford truck lol You just need to be more confident in your skills. *cough cough, not using Gdorf in tournament sets*

goosefactor

Smash Lord
goose you still coming?
Well, ya. My postings haven't already made that clear? And ya, we can team. Matt's not even sure if he's going to come with me since it's too early for him. Even if he does, he won't pay to enter teams (or probably singles for that matter).

Ya, Carl, my views exactly on the whole money match issue. Good post.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Well, hopefully I can even show up just to get some friendlies in. I'll most likely not be able to attend the tournament part. And worst part possible of it all, I might not even get to campus at all. So really, don't rely too much on me showing up. I'm so sick of this weather bull crap.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Anyone need a teammate? I don't think Puma is going and randomly teaming with a newb (like the first time) isn't very appealing to me...

Carl? Maus? KSO?
i'll team with you; you use sheik and I play well on teams with sheik

and also, i'm not sure if im entering singles tomorrow. i have a slight money situation that I have to deal with right now, but then again, it's just $5. ah whatever screw it i'll enter

btw goose, i haven't forgotten that I owe you money, don't worry.

i'll pay for your entry fee for singles or doubles

or i could just give you $5...lol

anyway, i need to go get cash for food and the entry fees tomorrow.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Alright! We can chit-chat about Brawl and how broken Marth still is. :laugh: I'm eager to spoil someone's virgin ears with many Brawl spoilers!

sounds good. hopefully I won't be hungover LOLOL

yea...i'm drunk right now lololololzzzzzzz

also, I found this picture that was posted in the smash64 forums and it was so funny so i'd like to share it all with you

Top Bottom