• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*ssbo Thread Has Been Moved*

_kSo_

Smash Master
:mad::mad::mad:

Ugh...I was so pumped for this weekend too! I was looking forward to hanging out with you guys during and after the tourney. Plus with everyone else drooling over brawl, I was even more pumped to play you and draco in melee 1v1's. Hmmm. That sucks.:(

**Kirk, if you're coming back, we can hang out again if you want to. Just lemme know.
We'll most likely have a smashfest, but I will talk to the other guys and if that is confirmed i'll be sure to call you and dracofox

kirkq

Smash Ace
Goose, my weekend is crammed with studying, but I may be trying to get to Hammond all day Saturday for their tournament.

If you're interested in going up there (it's brawl) let me know, I'm not sure if I'm going yet or not.

otherwise I have exams and homework to ready for Monday /johns

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Alan: Ya, let me know what's going on with that.
Kirk: If they don't have the smashfest, and you do end up going to the tourney, then let me know.

Lavos and Maus: Where are you guys!?!?! Don't you like us anymore!?!?!?!? :(

DracoFox

Smash Ace
-_-; I was looking so forward to this guys. HOPEFULLY! I'll have next Saturday off.... Just more **** on top of this week. Oh well, guess I'll hang out with a friend that is back in town. AND... You guys will get to miss out on my new hair. >->;

'Fro

Smash Lord

LOL shut up i'll update it later

btw me and carl talked about smash today and agreed that brawl should have come first, followed by ssb64 and then melee

too bad it didn't end up being like that.

but i cant wait to play ssb64 on wii with updated graphics :p

quote for truth

*UPDATE*

SSBO XV is scheduled for Saturday, March 29th. This weekend there are too many people going home, so we decided to change it.

Thank you for your understanding. Sorry for the late update.
WHAT? :(

I'm gonna be out of town. My student club has thier Membership Training trip next week..... I was hoping, aside from getting a shot at testing my Meta Knight in Brawl, to have another go against Alan's 64 Falcon, and maybe Draco Fox's Melee Marth. Not saying I would win or even cut it close, but just to give it a go.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Whoa, I need to post something lest our thread gets ousted from the main page like uncool and unpopular threads do. And we certainly don't fall into that category, right?

Lady luck is still on my side. I have next week Saturday off. HOPEFULLY no more bs.
Thats good, but I'm still pissed that you weren't up for the smashfest on saturday. Do you realized that you instead made me hang out with A.C. burrito and co. to play BRAWL!? Ugh, I felt so dirty.:laugh:

Seriously though, like I said before, we'll have to do some massive 1v1's melee style. Our skills are pretty matched, so it'll be fun. Besides, if you think about it,

NJ, Kirk, and Lavos: they have all went to the other side...

Maus: I haven't even heard from him in like forever, so I'm not even sure if he even plays anymore, or if he's even alive...:confused:

Kitsune: Psh. Does he even play smash? I THINK I've might've seen him play once for like 2 minutes, I could've been wrong though.

KSO: Well, I'm talking about who are actually BETTER than me, so does he really belong on the list!?!?

*I'm sorry, Alan. I feel bad for that. To make up for it, allow me to save you a post, OK?

Originally posted by Goosefactor
KSO: Well, I'm talking about who are actually BETTER than me, so does he really belong on the list!?!?

MM me in SSB64 LOLZ!!

(Does that do you justice?;))

_kSo_

Smash Master
**update**

EVERYONE PLEASE READ

This weekend's tournament is changed around as far as format and time goes so please read the updates on the first page and/or below

*SSBO XV is scheduled for Saturday March 29, 2008

*Brawl Singles are going to be from 12:00pm to 3:30pm

*Melee Singles are going to be from 5:30pm to 8:30pm

Tarkington Hall, as usual (address on the first page)

PLEASE do not show up at the tournament johning about the time change. We updated the thread 5 days in advance. If you do not care to check up on the thread once in a while, that is your problem.

Thank you.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
EVERYONE PLEASE READ

This weekend's tournament is changed around as far as format and time goes so please read the updates on the first page and/or below

*SSBO XV is scheduled for Saturday March 29, 2008

*Brawl Singles are going to be from 12:00pm to 3:30pm

*Melee Singles are going to be from 5:30pm to 8:30pm

Tarkington Hall, as usual (address on the first page)

PLEASE do not show up at the tournament johning about the time change. We updated the thread 5 days in advance. If you do not care to check up on the thread once in a while, that is your problem.

Thank you.
WHAT? I am outraged at this change and will be boycotting all future events now.

ac_burito

Smash Journeyman
could we possibly change the times and do melee first then brawl? i dont want to play brawl and if the times are gunna stand like they are now then i dont think i will make it

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Thats good, but I'm still pissed that you weren't up for the smashfest on saturday. Do you realized that you instead made me hang out with A.C. burrito and co. to play BRAWL!? Ugh, I felt so dirty.:laugh:
Well, maybe you should blame Alan for not calling me like he said he would if plans were made. -_-; I spent the entire weekend suffering. I hope you feel happy about it.

FYI: Brawl is only for fun, not for lame tournaments. Melee = MM ftw.
Sorry, Brawl is not going to be worth the money to me. So don't expect me to take part in the tournaments. Free play wise, sure, but deal with me complaining about the system. I swear, if I turn around for no **** reason and I didn't even hit the joystick to make him turn around one more time in the **** game of Brawl. My controller will go right through the **** TV. I've had enough of that crap in the game.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Well, maybe you should blame Alan for not calling me like he said he would if plans were made. -_-; I spent the entire weekend suffering. I hope you feel happy about it.

FYI: Brawl is only for fun, not for lame tournaments. Melee = MM ftw.
Sorry, Brawl is not going to be worth the money to me. So don't expect me to take part in the tournaments. Free play wise, sure, but deal with me complaining about the system. I swear, if I turn around for no **** reason and I didn't even hit the joystick to make him turn around one more time in the **** game of Brawl. My controller will go right through the **** TV. I've had enough of that crap in the game.
That just sounds like you don't like it because you're bad to me. I've never had turning around randomly problems, or heard anyone else complain about it.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Dracofox:
Iggy kinda has a point, I never turned around by mistake, or I least, I haven't noticed it after playing Brawl more often.
Also, eventhough Melee is the best thing ever, it will eventually die. It can probably be less competitive then Smash64 (because that is online). Well...then again, you said you'll just stop smashing general once it dies :(

Darkness386:
Well, we were thinking 3 stock...6 minutes for Brawl.

But, I was leaning more to which stages will be allowed and which will be banned.
Which will be neutral and which will be counterpickable.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Well, I'm all for constructing our own list... but I have to say... the windmill in pokemon stadium is lame now.... I can't recall if it's 2 or the original... but you can no longer jump through it. Large characters such as Bowser and DK get the shaft there.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Well, I'm all for constructing our own list... but I have to say... the windmill in pokemon stadium is lame now.... I can't recall if it's 2 or the original... but you can no longer jump through it. Large characters such as Bowser and DK get the shaft there.
Well...DK destorys PS1, cause...of the wall that arises. It's a free 70%+ chaingrab (grab, cargo, down throw, regrab and repeat--> against the wall).
I don't think the new windmill in the Brawl version will be much of an issue since it's just one part of the stage, and that change only appears at certain times. I actually never had a chance to see it despite the amount of times I played there.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Falco's chaingrab is dum

we will most likely be having a free brawl tournament at first to see the outcome before diving into money tournaments

then we'll be able to lure the brawl n00bs into SSBO and make them think their good

then we can do money tournaments and steal their money

so carl, kirk, and anyone else who is actually GOOD at brawl, plz refrain from raeping n00bs in the tournament so you guys can actually WIN MONEY in the future

don't make my mistake and forget to sandbag

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
On the topic of chain grab / infinite wall combos... would a stage like delfino plaza that SOMETIMES has walls be worthy?
Um, in Melee tourneys, it was allowed to do infinite wall combos, same goes for chaingrabbing.
Falco's chaingrab is dum

we will most likely be having a free brawl tournament at first to see the outcome before diving into money tournaments

then we'll be able to lure the brawl n00bs into SSBO and make them think their good

then we can do money tournaments and steal their money

so carl, kirk, and anyone else who is actually GOOD at brawl, plz refrain from raeping n00bs in the tournament so you guys can actually WIN MONEY in the future

don't make my mistake and forget to sandbag
Yeah, I mean, there's so many weeks left before finals >_>
If it's free, then I'm probably not entering. I'll do Melee if possible.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Yes, Melee will probably die at some point, but I doubt anytime soon.

Iggy and Carl//
Only reason it might be happening to me is ******** controller problems. It does whatever it wants to do at times. Overall, Brawl is just going to be a game to me for fun, not for tournaments.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Well...DK destorys PS1, cause...of the wall that arises. It's a free 70%+ chaingrab (grab, cargo, down throw, regrab and repeat--> against the wall).
I don't think the windmill will be much of an issue since it's just one part of the stage, and that change only appears at certain times. I actually never had a chance to see it despite the amount of times I played there.
Ike can chaingrab against walls,too, although I don't know how long he can go. I think it's his forward throw. I tried it a bit last night, and I should test it some more today to see if it's escapable, and if so at which percentages.

Anyhow, I'll ask the veterans on here again to give Brawl a chance. Just because you don't have amazingly safe and spammable approach options doesn't mean there's nothing in the game's system to learn. Fighting games, before the post-millenium craze with huge combos, were all about spacing yourself correctly and nailing your opponent whenever you have a chance, only going for the big damage if you spot a big opening.

Melee didn't support that kind of play at all, and the level of safety the top tier characters had in their approaches could only be matched by playing top tier vs. top tier (unless you're ridiculously skilled or use a counter character, as rare as those were in Melee) .

I've heard enough Melee vets already saying they don't want to give Brawl its shot, with the game having been out for less than a month. If it took Melee YEARS before the tourney scene really flourished, how is that a fair decision?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Almost all of the Melee vets like Brawl, at least they like it enough, to play it competitively.

It's only that a few, especially in the Midwest region, are to busy complaining rather then playing the game. Nevertheless, the majority is giving Brawl a shot, so don't worry about that. Most of the people who made names in the community are playing, so that's what matters most.

-----------------------------------------------------

So, back to SSBO, Brawl and Melee = for money. Don't see why Brawl shouldn't be a $$$ tourney. We don't have that many weeks left and people will study for exams/finals.

Btw, <3 how people don't know this is a Brawl tourney and the rules still aren't up. If the title had "Brawl" in it, people who don't even come to Purdue would come. Brawl local tournaments have much better attendence then Melee ones. In GA, Mikey G won a tourney getting $564.
Now about that....
....I have an idea for SSBO.
We should make an account called "SSBO" or "PurdueSmash", something like that. Then, with that account, we'll make the new SSBO/Purdue tournament thread. Me, Alan, Kirkq,and CunningKitsune will have the password for this account, so changes/updates will be put up much faster, given the fact Alan is usually too busy for updates.
The reason why I suggest another name besides SSBO is because we don't know if the tournaments will always be called SSBO whereas having something refering to Purdue will always be relevant. Then again, I don't really care about the name, it can be "N!ggaWes" for all I care, but just having that account will be helpful. We can actually update stuff more then 2 days before the event! yayuhz

The New Jersey smash players do this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=99590

Brawl is fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k
Advanced Techniques for the win.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=279353&id=741959489&ref=mf

Preview:

What he said on facebook:
"Say what you will, but in the end the CPUs in Melee are ridiculously rigged, and it's fking annoying after so long. Breaking my copy of Melee made me feel a ton better. I'd never do anything to the N64 version, and even with all the good times I had with Melee... Brawl will surpass them all, so I won't even think about Melee ever again."

"Lol you're funny. I played Melee with alot of people, and we had a ton of fun. And I don't lose to CPUs ever, what I said was that the Fox and Link CPUs are ridiculously cheap with their rapid attacks. The second you DI out of fox's neutral A kick he follows up with a smash and there you are sitting at 80% while he's still at like 4%...

Helps if you read the original posts before you comment. And you should never act like you know anything about me to begin with."

"There are no tiers, I've been completely destroyed by a Yoshi player, destroyed by Captain Falcon, completely ***** by Jigglypuff, there are no tiers. I consider myself a very good Wario player too and he's one of the more all around good characters, his only real weakness is his reach. I just laugh at people who bother with tiers and crap. Theres this saying that goes "Tiers are for queers."."

FLAME THIS ***!!!

_kSo_

Smash Master
I like that idea, when we think of a name, we should go ahead and do that

I'll sort the details out with you over AIM

kirkq

Smash Ace
Seconded on the "PurdueSmashers" account or something

BRAWL RULES (stolen from the hammond thread for the most part)

6-8 min. time (I'm highly in favor of 6 minutes to minimize lameness.
3 stock
No Items.

No stall tactics (does this even mean anything?)

you can use whichever controller you want(GC, classic, etc) other then modded ones.

double blind pick may be called.

Slob Picks, etc.

Neutral stages: FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island

Counterpickable stages: Halberd, Brinstar, Castle Siege, Green Greens, Green Hill Zone, Jungle Japes, Pictochat, Rainbow Cruise, Norfair, Stadium1, Stadium2, Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi's Island (pipes), Luigi's Mansion, Delfino Plaza, Mario Circuit, Toon Link Boat (wtf is it called?)

(Personally I think Halberd and Delfino Plaza would make interesting neutrals?)

I will update the stages after more thought/discussion.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
About neutrals:

Frigate Orpheon, Stadium1, Halberd, and Delfino Plaza.

Frigate Orpheon changes about twice a match, the the change doesn't effect much. I goes from one simple stage layout to other simple one.

Halberd always maintains that basic stage layout, the movement doesn't do anything. The weapons in the background hit you if your bad lol.

Delfino Plaza changes but no hazards at all, just like Stadium1 in Melee.

Speaking of Stadium1, that should be left neutral. If you think it's not becaue of the edges then...*cough* Battlefield from Melee and the new FD. The windmill isn't to bad at all, as I mentioned before.

Banned:

Green Hill Zone, Yoshi's Island (pipes), and Pictochat should all be banned.
All walk of stages were banned in SSB64 and SSBM, why change it now...especially with the added camping strats? Especially Yoshi's Island (pipes)....it hasn't changed at all.
Pictochat's hazards kill you/**** you up, that's lame :p

---------------------

Super Smash Bros. Brawl rules:

changes are bolded

- Items: Off
- 3 stock, 6-minute timer
- Best out of 3, with finals best out of 5
-Advanced Slob Picks (after each game of a set):
1. Loser picks stage or can randomly select a stage
2. Winner picks character
3. Loser picks character
-Double-blind picks may be called at any time.
-Dave's Stupid Rule: You may not pick the last stage where you won in the same set.
-Iggy's Stupid Rule: You may not pause the match yourself. If you absolutely need to pause, it must be done so at the consent of your opponent
- Stage Knock-outs: Each person knocks out one stage for the entire match (i.e., the entire best 2-out-of-3 or best 3-out-of-5). This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.
-Team Attack: On
-Life-Stealing: Allowed

Neutral stages: FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Delfino Plaza, Stadium1, Halberd, Frigate Orpheon

Counterpickable stages: Brinstar, Castle Siege, Green Greens, Green Hill Zone, Jungle Japes, Rainbow Cruise, Norfair, Stadium2, Frigate Orpheon, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Circuit, Pirate Ship

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Lol you say Halberd is Neutral but then say Pictochat is banned, according to your logic you should believe pictochat is neutral Carl, you only get hit by those hazards if you're bad.

Also Frigate Orpheon on neutral hurts tehther recovery characters, the right side of the stage doesn't have a ledge at one transformation, so I don't think that's neutral either. Fine for counterpick, since if they have a tether recovery anyway you should be countering them to skyworld.

But apparently you think that should be banned for no reason as well.

Also, Pipes wasn't banned because it was a walk-off stage, it was because it as too goof for Fox/Falco. It got banned at MLG after the kishes beat Ken and Isai on it, with Jeff as Fox and Tim as Falco. And tim doesn't even really play Falco.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Lol you say Halberd is Neutral but then say Pictochat is banned, according to your logic you should believe pictochat is neutral Carl, you only get hit by those hazards if you're bad.
I meant in the sense that it's easier to get hit into them, I get thrown into rockets and spikes all day, then again, I play a fat character. Nevertheless I see your point lawl.
Also Frigate Orpheon on neutral hurts tehther recovery characters, the right side of the stage doesn't have a ledge at one transformation, so I don't think that's neutral either. Fine for counterpick, since if they have a tether recovery anyway you should be countering them to skyworld.
Oh, I didn't even notice. Ok, well that makes sense be a counterpick, kinda like how Ness 64 players had a choice to not play Silph Co if it came up on random.
But apparently you think that should be banned for no reason as well.
Well, the tournament rules I've seen all had it banned. I haven't meet/spoken with anyone who doesn't agree it's a ****ty stage as well.
Also, Pipes wasn't banned because it was a walk-off stage, it was because it as too goof for Fox/Falco. It got banned at MLG after the kishes beat Ken and Isai on it, with Jeff as Fox and Tim as Falco. And tim doesn't even really play Falco.
LOL, wow. K, I see...well, then I'm happy lol. It's a stage I'd love to counterpick to.

Kadian

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Iggy on Pictochat. Maybe 1 in 5 transformations do any damage at all, and most of the other changes are pretty pedestrian. And seriously, what sort of "counterpick" is it if there's 20+ transformations that come in no reliable order? The only reason to go there is the same reason to go FD: the long, flat, platformless main stage.

Question about Castle Seige tho. Is it made a counterpick (and not a neutral) because of the 2nd part/after the first transformation? I know it's walk off and stuff, but its big and there's statues to hide behind projectile spamming until the next transformation. Or is it becuase of the actual transforming, but those only last a couple seconds. Humor me a bit here; I haven't heard the reasoning behind this choice.

This might be an issue to be discussed for another time, but I've seen arguements for increasing the alotted stage bans for a match. The idea is that in Melee, one ban was effective in aiding players avoid dominant stage specific strats or just highly disliked stages, but in Brawl with seemingly much more available selections, one ban might not be enough, as it's highly possible multiple stages exist that serve similar purposes. I bring this up knowing that the game's only about one month old, and dominant strategies and counter strats haven't had time to mature yet, so it's probably OK atm.

Metrois

Smash Rookie
Why cant you use all the char.? I've been looking for a place for me and my friends to go. But we dont use the char. on the list. Except for my brother who uses yoshi. Why would you have to kill one of the ice climbers ? Every guy has there own advantages and disadvantages. If you cant learn to get around them to beat them by using your own set of skills with your own guy then your not that good. Saying you can only face certain guys. That would suck. Would take the fun out of the game. Leraning how to get good against everyone is part of the game. I use samus by the way.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Why cant you use all the char.? I've been looking for a place for me and my friends to go. But we dont use the char. on the list. Except for my brother who uses yoshi. Why would you have to kill one of the ice climbers ? Every guy has there own advantages and disadvantages. If you cant learn to get around them to beat them by using your own set of skills with your own guy then your not that good. Saying you can only face certain guys. That would suck. Would take the fun out of the game. Leraning how to get good against everyone is part of the game. I use samus by the way.
The characters in melee are ranked whether or not you want to accept this. At the most competative level of play... the strongest characters ruin a lower ranked tournament. That's why you eliminate one ice climber and can't change into shiek.

Kadian

Smash Apprentice
Looking at your post count, I'm assuming you've played few tournaments, at least with standard rules (excuse me if I'm incorrect :)), but I think you're talking about the list for the Low Tier tournament. It's not really important; think of it merely as a side event. In fact, I don't even ever recall this group to have held a Low Tier event all year...

Don't worry, you can use anyone you want in the main event. We'll probably play both Brawl and Melee for, at least, the next couple of weeks.

Top Bottom