• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSE Patch: Your Thoughts

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
With hacks, so far brawlers can change the look of stages and characters. But what if we were to change the subspace emissary instead?

What we would need to do:
1. Make locations and enemies less generic.
-The subspace emissary was meant to be a collision of worlds, yet we rarely seen anything other than the playable characters from them.
2. Make the gameplay funner and faster.
-The subspace emissary often played like a bad 3D kirby game, and it was really slow, which is bad for platforming, a game genre meant for speedruns.
3. Make a better story.
-With generic enemies and locations, the story suffered. We'd want to make better enemies and locations, and most likely create a completely new story. Voice acting is a possibility, and it would most likely be a machinima and/or 3D animation using models.

What we can do:
For goal 1:
We can currently texture hack, and model hacks will be out soon. This is not at all a problem.
For goal 2:
With Project SA, this is very possible. My idea would be to create way simpler movesets, but giving characters more speed instead. For instance, my idea of a moveset for Sonic, making him play like he did in Sonic Unleashed
-Overall Faster
-All specials on ground-Speed boost
-All specials in the air-Homing attack
For goal 3:
-Possible but hard, and not usable for most people yet. I have talked with VILE, and yes, movie hacks are possible. However, not much is known, and ISOs most likely have to be used for now. Also, machinimation will have to be used most likely. The way to movie hack also requires a tool from the revolution SDK.

So, who here would like to be involved with this project? What are your ideas for it?

Revven

FrankerZ
This idea sounds really cool! I'm in full support of it. <3

I dunno if I'll be able to help though, however, I do have the ISO. So... testing things isn't a problem with me if you somehow assembled a team up for this.

n88

Smash Lord
You have my full support. I can't do much to help (Except maybe a little w/story), but I'll be keeping tabs on this.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
I've actually been thinking of custom bosses. Is it possible?

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
I've actually been thinking of custom bosses. Is it possible?
With PSA, Model Hacking, and animation hacking (which I assume will take MUCH less time to develop than model hacking, unless I heard wrong.), custom bosses would be completely reasonable to expect.

bobson

Smash Lord
For goal 1:
We can currently texture hack, and model hacks will be out soon. This is not at all a problem.
I'm loving this.
"We have some screws, and they sell boards at a store down the road. Building a skyscraper is not at all a problem."

The amount of effort that would have to go into getting anything close to worthwhile would be far beyond the attention span and ability of almost everyone here. Even disregarding that, it would still be largely worthless unless someone develops a method to hack the actual levels and events in the campaign.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
I'm loving this.
"We have some screws, and they sell boards at a store down the road. Building a skyscraper is not at all a problem."

The amount of effort that would have to go into getting anything close to worthwhile would be far beyond the attention span and ability of almost everyone here. Even disregarding that, it would still be largely worthless unless someone develops a method to hack the actual levels and events in the campaign.
Hahaha, it's funny because you're stupid.
The levels? Hackable, both texture and model wise. Infact, they even use Stash. So how about you shut your **** when I'm talking to you.

bobson

Smash Lord
So how about you shut your **** when I'm talking to you.
Your reply missed the point so laughably that I'm not going to bother responding to that part of it, but I really am curious as to what was originally behind those asterisks. None of the standard four-letter words make sense in that context.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Hahaha, it's funny because you're stupid.
The levels? Hackable, both texture and model wise. Infact, they even use Stash. So how about you shut your **** when I'm talking to you.
This post is awesome. While I have no hope of this project going anywhere, I like your additude. I fully support this project and would love to see it take off. Unfortunately, I can't be of much help.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
I support this 110%. If this becomes successful, there will truly be NO reason to go back to vbrawl.

Get A Load of This!

Smash Journeyman
Love the idea of characters playing truer to their respective games with simplified movesets. Would probably be harder to come up with something for Olimar, though. Kirby and King Dedede's inhales would probably both have to either be reworked or scrapped, too, since they didn't work on basic enemies for some reason.

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
I know, it's just a for-lulz fun challenge. Trade speed for lower % deaths. Plus, the SSE story is not that bad... I actually liked it. Pretty good when you consider there's no dialouge.

Get A Load of This!

Smash Journeyman
The problem is, the story for the most part had nothing to do with the actual characters and their gaming backgrounds themselves. You could paste any other person in any other role and nothing would change, except for Donkey Kong, the Star Fox characters and at a slightly longer stretch, Link and the Ice Climbers who were just racing Meta Knight up a mountain anyway. Everyone else was just sort of "there," if you catch my drift. (Do I even need to mention Sonic?)

And let's not forget our fantastic cast of such creatively named generic enemies.

No doubt the existing story had its creative and enjoyable points, even a plot twist or two. But it's not some Final Fantasy game, it's the world of Nintendo and the cast deserves plot that represents their franchises. Bringing back the Donkey Kong series again, that seems to be the only game franchise that got a plot point in the SSE with the banana horde being stolen.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
I think we should start with PSA's first, so brainstorming should start tommorow, perhaps?
Post a link to your PSA work if you wish to help with some of the movesets.
Ones I wanna work on soon:
Sonic
Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Textures will likely wait until model hacks are out. Also, since "shadow" characters can replace normal characters, it should work the other way around. So instead of fighting wierd purple versions of the characters in the great maze, actually enemies like Shadow the Hedgehog and Shadow Mario will be fought. :D

Also, as for the playable characters, i think the only ones who might be replaced are Ike and Lucario, with Roy and Mewtwo, of course. But, nothing's set in stone. Just know that most playable characters won't be texture/model hacked.

bleyva

Smash Ace
i may not know anything about anything, but i know one thing;

the final battle of the new SSE must end in a galaxy-shattering falcon punch

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
The SSE is a huge project with an extremely high production value...any kind of re-work is going to pale in comparison. Modding characters a bit is one thing (which is definitely possible and could be quite interesting), but trying to recreate the story is another thing altogether. I highly doubt you will just find a random industry-level animation team with hundreds of hours of spare time to spend on this, lol.

BlazeKnight

Smash Cadet
This sounds quite good you have my full support. One thing you should do is add Toon link,Wolf and Jigglypuff to the story. Since Nintendo Decided to Leave them out of the story for some reason. and Adding Shadow and Shadow Mario as mini bosses Insead of dark versions of the characters. So Yeh I support you on this

timothyung

Smash Ace
At least we should fix the physics. Notice how in SSE, all the characters are running very slowly and their jumps are short? This applies everywhere except when you fight characters/bosses. This is one of the reasons why it feels so slow and boring.

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
This sounds quite good you have my full support. One thing you should do is add Toon link,Wolf and Jigglypuff to the story. Since Nintendo Decided to Leave them out of the story for some reason. and Adding Shadow and Shadow Mario as mini bosses Insead of dark versions of the characters. So Yeh I support you on this
Jigglypuff can skip vertical parts of the stage just by breaking her shield.

Which is probably why Jigs wasn't in the story.

n88

Smash Lord
I only have one request of this project: Even if next to nothing is accomplished, please fix the second cutscene, where Primids invade the mid-air stadium.

Mario gets KO'd by random cannonballl from nowhere. Then, when the dust settles, we see the cannonball came from...Petey Pirahna? WTF?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
^Petey Pirahna has had weirder crap come out of his mouth before. See Sunshine or Mario Golf.

I was actually sad to see no Kirby enemies. We should have at least fought the Waddle Dee army while chasing Dedede.

And I fully support replacing Lucario with Mewtwo. Mewtwo should also be on the evil side.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
The idea of editing the cutscenes and story would be cool, but realistically, would be a pain in the *** to attempt to look nice.

I say just change up the gameplay a bit for Brawl+. More interesting bosses (Shiny Black Rayquaza with extra moves or Ridley with more interesting attack patterns) and such, but not simply a "Hey let's just make everything stronger and faster lol" patch, just make them be more varied or something.

And if it's possible, incorporate Final Smashes into boss battles. Seriously, why did Nintendo not have us use Mario's awesome Fireball against Tabuu to finish him off?

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
I only have one request of this project: Even if next to nothing is accomplished, please fix the second cutscene, where Primids invade the mid-air stadium.

Mario gets KO'd by random cannonballl from nowhere. Then, when the dust settles, we see the cannonball came from...Petey Pirahna? WTF?
It's not a cannonball.
It's a cage.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
The idea of editing the cutscenes and story would be cool, but realistically, would be a pain in the *** to attempt to look nice.

I say just change up the gameplay a bit for Brawl+. More interesting bosses (Shiny Black Rayquaza with extra moves or Ridley with more interesting attack patterns) and such, but not simply a "Hey let's just make everything stronger and faster lol" patch, just make them be more varied or something.

And if it's possible, incorporate Final Smashes into boss battles. Seriously, why did Nintendo not have us use Mario's awesome Fireball against Tabuu to finish him off?
Because then none of the Kirby characters would get any of the credit for his defeat.:laugh: This would cause Sakurai to delay the game again. LMAO, I should stop criticizing the SSE.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I will design levels if wanted.
I'm thinking something like:You go through a mario level as mario, peach or luigi and Bowser is a boss. Or something like that.
All I'll need is a rough lenght the levels will need to be and confirmation that this project WILL happen.

Also, I'm not just some random n00b, I'm a game designer and I've done it before, I know what I'm doing.

walter01

Smash Cadet
This project has my full support, and if possible I'll help (not sure how i can though XD)

well it has my support as long as u leave the scene of the tea party on the halberd, that was awesome

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
This seems like an overall pointless project. It would take obscene amounts of time for something no one would really use more than once. ALl this time would be better used figuring out how PSA etc works.
Also, your first project is like 30 minutes worth of work in PSA, its really arbitrary and simple, not to mention unneccesary to begin with, and doesen't solve any of the real problems with this.

Oh, and the creator is a *******, that really doesen't help your case but its not something i can hold against the project

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I highly doubt you will just find a random industry-level animation team with hundreds of hours of spare time to spend on this, lol.
I have 2 suggestions:

1- We could just use machinima (Especially with that green screen level)

2- We could get someone who speaks Japanese to get one of those Nico Nico Douga freaks. They're always making top-notch animation for no real reason at all, so it can't be too hard.

Also, nobody said it had to look professional, just enough to get a story across.

bobson

Smash Lord
I will design levels if wanted.
I'm thinking something like:You go through a mario level as mario, peach or luigi and Bowser is a boss. Or something like that.
All I'll need is a rough lenght the levels will need to be and confirmation that this project WILL happen.
That's the thing; we can't yet actually modify how the stages play, just how they look. All the stage layouts, enemy placements, autoscroll segments, character selections, etc. are out of our control. We can only change how the characters play.

The end result of the project, if it even ever gets out of the idea phase, will be turning a sub-par repetitive platformer into a worse-looking sub-par repetitive platformer.

Also, nobody said it had to look professional, just enough to get a story across.
They better look damn good if you want me to sit through the SSE again just to see them.

Top Bottom