• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
You know, we should really figure out some teams sometime. And like, actually play with them.

Me and Legan do seem to have things on lock-down when the occasion arises... It'd be nice to practice enough at smashfests to have a solid shot at winning some bigger tourneys; brawl's floatiness make team throw combos more viable.

Diverging to character discussion, yeah, jiggs is still amazing in teams, but I've been surprised how good Ganondorf is. People make more mistakes in doubles, and he takes advantage of that; he can capitalize on an opponent that is being controlled by your teammate very well, and can control people fighting him well even when not damaging them. Maybe I haven't seen any good team Ike play, but Ganondorf's more targetted moves seem to be better for teams too since it doesn't make your partner terrified to be within a half-mile of you. I'm still convinced that Olimar will be a fantastic team player as well... Snake has a lot going for him too of course.

Lastly, what black hole did Mora fall into?

edub

Smash Apprentice
You know, we should really figure out some teams sometime. And like, actually play with them.

Me and Legan do seem to have things on lock-down when the occasion arises... It'd be nice to practice enough at smashfests to have a solid shot at winning some bigger tourneys; brawl's floatiness make team throw combos more viable.

Diverging to character discussion, yeah, jiggs is still amazing in teams, but I've been surprised how good Ganondorf is. People make more mistakes in doubles, and he takes advantage of that; he can capitalize on an opponent that is being controlled by your teammate very well, and can control people fighting him well even when not damaging them. Maybe I haven't seen any good team Ike play, but Ganondorf's more targetted moves seem to be better for teams too since it doesn't make your partner terrified to be within a half-mile of you. I'm still convinced that Olimar will be a fantastic team player as well... Snake has a lot going for him too of course.

Lastly, what black hole did Mora fall into?
jigglypuff is low tier

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
Ganondorf is the same as in melee only worse... Once you learn the matchup enough ganon cannot touch you even in teams. The only thing to watch out for is his over b, which can hit through the shield now.

Ike is a beast in teams. Olimar might be good, but due to his recovery that can actually be edgehogged its possible to lose stocks too quickly.

ROB is the new peach of teams. Not only can he recover from anywhere, but hes probably one of the heaviest and hardest characters to KO. Plus he even has peaches "overpowered spot dodge->dsmash" which is pretty much instantaneous.

People keep telling me Zelda is good, but I think she sucks. The best thing about her is Din's fire. I also have mixed feelings about wolf, but I would say any merit he has in singles would be lost in doubles.

Also Marth, G&W, and Metaknight are always a good decision for singles and doubles. They are all amazing.

Jiggs is still an annoying hobag, but I don't have that much trouble with her. I would say game and watch is taking the cake as cheapest character.

fox, falco, and CF are fun but... well they suck lol

null

Smash Apprentice
Zelda, if played correctly, is amazing (Din's fire is just the delicious icing on the delicious magical cake.) She's got fast attacks, a reflector (which also makes her invulnerable for a few frames) good aerials, killing power, and of course, she can spam that fire. And if they're too fast for you? Switch to Shiek, who is still good.

Fox and Falco are both still good, they're just not broken anymore.

CF is probably the "worst" character in the game (he's got terrible priority, can no longer combo anyone at any percent, and can't kill them with a well timed, or spammed, knee), however, I still find him quite playable, and actually more fun.

As for who's actually "good" for teams, I think it really depends on your partner AND who're you're up against, as this game seems to have more prevalent "counter-characters."

Also, Jigglypuff was made for Brawl.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Pika pika pikachu! Pika pika pikachu!

I won the teams thing against n00bs in the brawl thing just by sniping with thunder. I thought pika was great in teams in melee...now...

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I don't see why people are so enamored with Brawl's so-called "balance." It's just a matter of time before Metaknight, Snake, and Toon Link start dominating.

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why people are so enamored with Brawl's so-called "balance." It's just a matter of time before Metaknight, Snake, and Toon Link start dominating.
Which is so unlike Fox, Falco, Marth dominating melee right? I don't get the hate on this game. Jesus, give it some time.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Sweet I found the St. Louis thread

So I've recently been accepted to Wash U in St. Louis, and I'm considering it as a college right now.. so can anyone tell me about the general demographics around the area? Oh, and more importantly, about the smash scene? I'm from Norcal, and we have a very competitive, tight-knit smash scene here, I'm wondering how smash is like over there :p

Any replies would be cool

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
Zhu tells me ur tight knit smash scene is slowing down due to brawl. Anyways, our scene is not as big as norcal's, but it's still good and everyone is mad friendly and stuff. Wash u is a pretty cool place.

@ lixi: you left out marth(IMO)
@ pk: you left out sheik(IMO)

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Meanwhile, someone else is saying that about Marth and ROB, and another person is saying that about Olimar. For a game that many claim to be lacking balance, people sure can't seem to agree on who these top characters that dominate everyone else are...

What's obvious though is that the bottom tier is shattered. Yoshi handily beat everyone in the "bottom tier" in Melee. That's 7 characters, over a fourth the entire cast. Since then, Yoshi has been improved; he lost DJC, but gained a solid bair, a surprisingly good egg roll, and a majorly buffed up-B that gives him good enough recovery to go all the way across the underside of Smashville.

Despite these buffs and being relatively improved to all the other characters, Yoshi is still widely considered the worst in Brawl. The density of character ability is just that much tighter.

Or, look at it this way. In Melee, there were 14 characters on the tier list between Yoshi and Marth. While I would say Marth is nerfed and Yoshi buffed, and argue with anyone who says the opposite, let's assume they stayed at roughly the same relative ability to everyone else. All the characters above Yoshi were removed or buffed so much that they are above him, and all three characters above Marth were nerfed below him. Now there are 37 characters occupying the same size ability gap between Yoshi and Marth.

Which is so unlike Fox, Falco, Marth dominating melee right? I don't get the hate on this game. Jesus, give it some time.
The problem is that people compare things like Brawl to standards of their imagination rather than other real things. As long as people can imagine a smash with unlimited characters that is perfectly balanced and extremely competitive that they always win at, they will never be happy with anything found in reality.

Instead of comparing Brawl to other real games, they compare it to the hypothetical Smash game they would have made in the magical alternate universe where they are a wildly successful game developer instead of a kid on the internet.

So I've recently been accepted to Wash U in St. Louis, and I'm considering it as a college right now.. so can anyone tell me about the general demographics around the area? Oh, and more importantly, about the smash scene? I'm from Norcal, and we have a very competitive, tight-knit smash scene here, I'm wondering how smash is like over there :p

I go to Wash U, and will be taking the torch of Smash from Toga and Andy as they depart us next year... Feel free to PM me about anything, I'm sure we will end up smashing together frequently next symester. Lixi and Toga would also be about to answer any question you may have too.

Lixivium

Smash Champion

LOL you should have done this sort of research before applying to WashU, not after being accepted. Kids these days...:laugh:

First of all I hope you're not choosing colleges based on the Smash scene.

WashU is a great school if you're going to do pre-med, decent for other liberal arts, mediocre for engineering. I can't make any judgments on the Business or Art school but there are probably better schools for the money. The student body itself is great, no East Coast snobbiness, just Midwestern sensibilities.

St. Louis won't compare to California in terms of food or weather, but living expenses are cheap; you'll appreciate this as an upperclassman. And no, it is not dangerous if you just use some common sense (don't cross any rivers, for instance). We do have a surprising number of California people - my old roommate transfered here from Berkeley after 2 years.

As for the Smash scene itself...well it's less than a dozen people really, some of whom live in Illinois. We generally get together at Geno's house on Fridays. There are a few small tournaments nearby held by game shops, but I have yet to see any for Brawl. The big tournaments and scenes are generally 4 hours away - in Kansas City, Chicago, and Memphis. I don't know what it's going to look like next year since a few people will be gone (myself possibly included).

Speaking of Brawl, I haven't seen an influx of people to the scene since Brawl has been released. In fact Smash here seems quieter than ever, I don't know if it's because of online play or if it's just a slow period.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
LOL you should have done this sort of research before applying to WashU, not after being accepted. Kids these days...:laugh:
First of all I hope you're not choosing colleges based on the Smash scene.
Heh, "I got accepted there, what's it like?" does sound kind of strange. Glad to hear you are visiting though, stay in touch!

WashU is a great school if you're going to do pre-med, decent for other liberal arts, mediocre for engineering. I can't make any judgments on the Business or Art school but there are probably better schools for the money.
The Business of social work schools are pretty well regarded, even if I still don't understand how you have have a school for social work. And hey, the engineering school isn't bad! A ton of art sci kids transfer in, in fact. The faculty is pretty great, even if Student Life and some of the students despised the outgoing Dean for reasons I never understood.
[/QUOTE]

St. Louis won't compare to California in terms of food or weather,
We don't have weather, our precipitation and temperature is determined by a random number generator.

As for the Smash scene itself...well it's less than a dozen people really, some of whom live in Illinois. We generally get together at Geno's house on Fridays.
St. Louis... is not known for it's smash.

...but we did beat Georgia...

Lixivium

Smash Champion
St. Louis... is not known for it's smash.

...but we did beat Georgia...
I should say that although there haven't been any Brawl tournaments yet, a couple of people have mentioned that they are planning to have one. Sam said there would be another one at Sector 19 (20 minutes from WashU) and Nike said he was working on one in Cape Girardeau (2 1/2 hours from St. Louis). There are bound to be more tournaments at Eureka and that other place that I don't remember.

S

skyline311

Hello St. Louis people! I'm originally from Norcal, been in St. Louis for awhile (currently attending med school at SLU) and looking for some people to play smash with. Anyone here in the area want to get together for some melee or brawl?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
hey guys, i just recently came to STL from norcal as well
what's the smash scene here like?
we play super smash bros on the gamecube and on the wii no items plz also tales of symphonia imo

And Peach is banned.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Nowhere is known for its smash anymore.

I cant stop playing brawl. But Im not good with all the characters I want to be good with...Im good with stupid **** like Ike and Mario.

At least I have pika, ness, and olimar.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm doing pretty decent with Ness too, or at least better than Lucas; me playing as Lucas consists of me trying to do fancy Lucas tricks and my opponent going "lolwut" before killing me...

Time to stop spamming this thread methinks.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
STL Crew Adventures in Bizzaro World: April Fools Edition, by Smashboards

----------

A familiar announcer declared a winner: Deku's Ikue Ootani was the best in the nation, but couldn't keep up with Zig-Zag's high tire characters. "What a tire *****;" Deku complained loudly to everyone in Geno's attic, "you'd never beat anyone if you had to use real characters!"

"Bah, everyone is a real character except Purin!" Thinkaman was known for rabid anti-Purin rants. Everyone just laughed it off. It was a close-knit group, who had played Super Halo Bros. Melee in Geno's attic it seemed almost since the game came out in 2001. Now, after almost 7 years, a new Super Halo Bros. game, "Brawl" had finally been released. Everyone was highly excited about this new game, and wanted to play it non-stop.

Well, almost everybody.

"MOTHER EFFING AIR DODGE!" Random had managed to suicide by air dodging off the stage. "You know, this wouldn't be as big of a problem if people in this game could ACTUALLY GRAB THE EDGE! 'Oh, the edge is right behind me? Instead of reaching around and maybe GRABBING IT, I think I'll just fall to my death!' Nevermind the airdodge itself BREAKING PHYSICS!"

Random had hated Brawl from the first impressions of it. As much as others argued with him that Brawl would be a much better game than Melee, especially Thinkaman, Random insisted that Melee would always be more competitive.

"C'mon Random, the new directional air-dodge adds a level of complexity!"

"No, it REMOVES complexity, it's a crutch for people without skill. Trying to attack? How about I DEFY PHYSICS and teleport five feet out of the way! Except you can't actually use it to dodge intelligently, since the game doesn't let you do ANYTHING after dodging, not even another air dodge! It's crap like this, Brawl is all about taking away options and strategy to make the game have less depth. I mean, they took out almost every advance technique!"

"Pssh, you know we'll find new advances techs in Brawl. like, people are already talking about using the directional airdodge into the ground to slide, they called it 'wavedashing'--"

"Okay first off, that's a ******** name. Second, you can slide like two feet, BIG DEAL! If this is the best Brawl has to offer--"

Thinkaman was getting almost as irritated as Random was. "They are even bringing back Z-canceling like in the 64 version; that's going to make the game so much more fast-paced and exciting!"

"Great, just what the game needs, nonpunishable aerials. As if Brawl wasn't already faster than a hyperactive cheetah on crack anyway, rendering all thought-out plans and strategies completely useless, not to mention good spacing... Entire point of the game shot down and made into a button-masher... It's worse than Crysis..."

By this Stock Andy showed up and Geno suggested they order a pizza. "Where's Toga?!?" Andy's roommate Toga almost never showed up to Halofests, but the group always pestered Andy to bring Toga anyway.

"Well at least you have to admit that the character balance in Brawl is going to be a ton better than the crap in Melee."

"You're kidding? Have you seen Shiek and Mewtwo? You call that balance?" The new Shiek in Brawl was widely-agreed as horrible: her foward air caused damage to herself instead of the opponent, and her down-throw for some reason broke her shield; the only good move she had at all was her forward-B whip. Mewtwo, on the other hand, could control other characters with his mind and make them jump off the screen. Plus, his Haloes were faster than some character's tilts and killed at 60%.

"It just needs more Stock for people to develop counters and stuff..." said Thinkman stubbornly.

"Crews!!! Falco vs. Luigi Mario crews!!!" Lixi was always wanting to do something ridiculous. Geno told Lixi to shut up and stop playing ******** characters, telling everyone to stick to "the top four."

Meanwhile, Random persisted: "The fact is, Brawl was not made to be a tactical and strategic competitive fighting game like Melee; it was designed to appease the lowest common denominator of hyper little kids who just want to bash as many buttons as fast as they can.."

"It's not my fault if Brawl is too fast for you to handle, it's still going to be played at least as competitively as Melee no Penelopeer what you think!"

Someone interjected "Would you girls shut up and give it a rest?" Sam, the only male member of STL crew, often had to step in to put a stop to these arguments. "How about you both admit one thing you like about the other game and stop talking about it?"

Thinkaman thought this was an acceptable idea. "Fine. I like in Melee how you could customize your controls, a lot of characters and playstyles are hurt by taking that out in the new game."

Random concurred. "Right, that was one of the best things in Melee. But okay, the one thing I like about Brawl is that they made Apple better... I've always wanted to play as her. Anyway, let's play some Halo."

----------

...this needed to be saved.

need more Dwight Eisenhower mains imo
Dwight Eisenhower is a beast and a half
Indeed.

darkatma

Smash Hero
So... What do you guys generally do during the Multicultural Celebration weekend? The University invited me to visit from.. thursday to saturday I believe, and I'm not sure how much free time, or how much freedom I have to explore the campus/meet people.

I mean, if I get time I'd love to meet some of the smashers, maybe play a few games of MELEE and brawl. Looking forward to visiting though :p

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So... What do you guys generally do during the Multicultural Celebration weekend? The University invited me to visit from.. thursday to saturday I believe, and I'm not sure how much free time, or how much freedom I have to explore the campus/meet people.
We generally attend workshops about diversity, and how cultural differences enrich our community. There are also normally films and sometimes speakers concerned with ethnic or racial problems both in other countries and at our own doorstep. Student groups generally contribute their own food and activities, and on the whole it's a great time to meet some new friends and gain a better perspective of the world around you.

...or at least we would, if that wasn't the most ******** crook of B.S. I've ever made up. The only "multi-cultural exploration" most of the student body will be doing that weekend will be about the same as any other weekend, and involve dangerous amounts of both alcohol and genitalia. I've never even heard of "Multicultural Celebration weekend", but then again I don't spend my time reading junk mail sent to prospective students either. ;)

Cynical but realistic views of the politically correct and students at large aside, I do have several suggestions for how to spend your time here. What's your intended field of study? If I can't point you to good classes to sit in on, I can ask friends or just look some up on WebSTAC for you. Otherwise, if you are here on Thursday, the best possible thing you could do while here is go to a WUGS meeting that night. Friday you could smash with us at Geno's, most likely. (*Looks at Geno*)

DUDE, Geno, Stephen @ WUGS was talking today about how amazing the Olympia was and how everyone should eat there. I told them it was, indeed, awesome. We would have gone right then, but everyone else wanted Italian, like the losers they are...

darkatma

Smash Hero
We generally attend workshops about diversity, and how cultural differences enrich our community. There are also normally films and sometimes speakers concerned with ethnic or racial problems both in other countries and at our own doorstep. Student groups generally contribute their own food and activities, and on the whole it's a great time to meet some new friends and gain a better perspective of the world around you.

...or at least we would, if that wasn't the most ******** crook of B.S. I've ever made up. The only "multi-cultural exploration" most of the student body will be doing that weekend will be about the same as any other weekend, and involve dangerous amounts of both alcohol and genitalia. I've never even heard of "Multicultural Celebration weekend", but then again I don't spend my time reading junk mail sent to prospective students either. ;)

Cynical but realistic views of the politically correct and students at large aside, I do have several suggestions for how to spend your time here. What's your intended field of study? If I can't point you to good classes to sit in on, I can ask friends or just look some up on WebSTAC for you. Otherwise, if you are here on Thursday, the best possible thing you could do while here is go to a WUGS meeting that night. Friday you could smash with us at Geno's, most likely. (*Looks at Geno*)
Ugh college is already starting to sound wonderful -_-. Then again, I've always had the cynical mindset, not that I wasn't expecting all colleges to have 'dangerous amounts' of both of those. Not that I'll partake in either in any way, shape or form for hopefully quite a while :p

My applied majors are biochem and molecular biology, though I have yet to meet a professor that is able to make either of those subjects anything other than dull and/or difficult. I might as well sit in on a class anyways, I probably need to see what they're like.
Oh, and I have two other friends coming from my school with me on the visit, so I might be dragging them along to places (they aren't smashers.) I think they're mainly choosing between Berkeley, UChicago, and your school :p

Oh yeah, Geno is a cool name, especially if it pertains to the Geno in smRPG from snes :p
Your smashfests don't involve alcohol consumption I hope? (hopefully that isn't wishful thinking)

I haven't played new people in such a long time :p, hopefully you guys can organize something for one of those days. (And hopefully I won't have to adhere to a nazi schedule during my stay)

ps: I'm visiting on April 10-12

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Well you should definitely visit any school you plan on attending, especially if WashU is paying for your ticket (don't know if they still do that).

I haven't been to Multicultural Weekend in 3 years, but I know that the place is always crawling with Asian pre-freshmen. Ordinarily I'd say come for the Asian eye-candy, but if you're from California that might not be such a big deal :laugh:

They have some sort of night market with food and some games and lot of aimless walking around, while the Asian student groups give some dance performances. There's a giant water balloon fight, which is pretty fun. They have a carnival on the last day, it's fun but crazy expensive.

You can always go to some of the classes but I don't think there's a whole lot of point. Seeing how boring they are now won't make you enjoy them anymore when it's your turn.

As for Smash, I don't know if there'll be anything going on at Geno's for sure (and you'd need a car to get there), but I'm sure you can find some time to go over to Chris (Toga) and Andy's dorm.

darkatma

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind going to people's dorms for smash, though I'll probably need some way to contact people :p
Psh, Asian eye candy lol. (I'm asian too) Are there no asian smashers? :O I'd find that really weird, since all but one of the people I smash with in my city are asian.

Last edited:

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind going to people's dorms for smash, though I'll probably need some way to contact people :p
Psh, Asian eye candy lol. (I'm asian too) Are there no asian smashers? :O I'd find that really weird, since all but one of the people I smash with in my city are asian.
Most smashers in St. Louis are not Asian, but they don't treat you any differently if you are. I can vouch for that, so can Glook and Andy.

Just wondering is the school more liberal or more conservative? I've heard Missouri is a conservative state, and I'm pretty scared of some conservative people.
LOL and why would you be afraid of conservative people? Missouri is a conservative state but St. Louis is pretty liberal. Sure some students have rich parents and others have some crazy ideas, but they're not going to harass you or anything. They just put out a paper once a week, you don't have to read it.

S

skyline311

Are there no asian smashers? :O I'd find that really weird, since all but one of the people I smash with in my city are asian.

Just wondering is the school more liberal or more conservative? I've heard Missouri is a conservative state, and I'm pretty scared of some conservative people.
Well, I'm an Asian smasher, so I guess I'm not the only one anymore...

I don't know about WashU (or neighboring SLU's undergrad campus) as liberal or conservative, but I definitely think Missouri in general is on the conservative side. Very different from Northern California where I'm from.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Well, I'm an Asian smasher, so I guess I'm not the only one anymore...

I don't know about WashU (or neighboring SLU's undergrad campus) as liberal or conservative, but I definitely think Missouri in general is on the conservative side. Very different from Northern California where I'm from.
yay, which school and where in norcal did you come from?
I'm from Fremont, probably going to wash U, and graduating from Mission San Jose High, if you know what that is :p

S

skyline311

My applied majors are biochem and molecular biology, though I have yet to meet a professor that is able to make either of those subjects anything other than dull and/or difficult. I might as well sit in on a class anyways, I probably need to see what they're like.
Ahh, I remember those days when I slaved away trying to get into medical school, only to be hopelessly addicted to melee. If you're trying to get into med school, I suggest to stay far, far away from the digital crack that is smash bros. Of course, if you aren't premed, then that's a whole different story...

P.S. I'm a medical student at Saint Louis U ;)

S

skyline311

yay, which school and where in norcal did you come from?
I'm from Fremont, probably going to wash U, and graduating from Mission San Jose High, if you know what that is :p
I'm from Saratoga, close to Los Gatos, Cupertino, Campbell. You've probably been down here before :) Graduated from Saratoga High.

I used to know a past valedictorian from your high school; of course, that was many years ago and I doubt you know him personally. My best friend from Saratoga moved to Fremont, and I used to drive to Fremont all the time before I moved to St. Louis.

S

skyline311

So I've recently been accepted to Wash U in St. Louis, and I'm considering it as a college right now.. so can anyone tell me about the general demographics around the area?
I just wanted to add my impressions of St. Louis (and to help in your decision): I've found St. Louis to be a nice place once I got used to it (it's very different from California). I've encountered people that I swear have never seen an Asian person before. When I first moved here 2 years ago, my ex-girlfriend was with me at the time (she's white), and we've got stares and looks from people here that we would never get back in California. I've also gotten comments from strangers about being Asian that would have been construed as racist on the West Coast. I don't mean to offend anyone here from St. Louis, but it's the truth, at least from my experiences. It has gotten better overall I think, but then again I don't get out much anymore due to pressure in med school. Bottom line is, I thought I would never get used to St. Louis, but I did, and you won't regret coming to St. Louis for school. Ahem, with that said, anyone playing smash bros. this weekend or next? :dizzy:

Top Bottom