• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

darkatma

Smash Hero
Next weekend =]

And yes, i know how you feel about smash interfering with med school =[ If I hadn't killed my grades this senior year first semester, I would be doing BME with my best friend at Johns Hopkins instead... =[
And yea, I want to smash next weekend when I visit for sure :p

omg saratoga high, that's not far away at all.. One of my friends went there till he graduated last year :p
Yea.. I'm gonna miss all my friends, they're all either going to berkeley or Ivys.. and both are so far from St. Louis. Congrats on SLU med btw :p

edit: up late for chem test -_-

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Dang it, I made a big post a day ago but smashboards went down after I posted it and it looks like it never got posted at all... Recap: No alcohol to worry about, and you should definitely come to WUGS on Thursday night. That is the best possible thing you could do. Also, my pre-med roommate in organic chemistry has some class suggestions to visit. I'll stay in touch and stuff.

I wouldn't mind going to people's dorms for smash, though I'll probably need some way to contact people :p
I'll hook you up, send you a PM or something.

Just wondering is the school more liberal or more conservative? I've heard Missouri is a conservative state, and I'm pretty scared of some conservative people.
XD! Hahaha, I'm probably one of the most politically conservative people you will ever meet, and trust me, we don't bite. Some people from more liberal regions like you are actually shocked to discover that we have gay friends, don't hate science or evolution, and are rather fond of charity and community service. Stereotypes of crazy rednecks are amusing, but the bulk of conservatives in reality are too busy obsessing over taxes and capitalism to worry about whatever social issues the left seems to think we are hung up on. :p

Most smashers in St. Louis are not Asian, but they don't treat you any differently if you are. I can vouch for that, so can Glook and Andy.
Actually, all this time we have all been suppressing our latent racism in faint hope of using you guys as bait to attract previously mentioned asian eye-candy.

At any rate, if anyone cares I will be able to smash any time today. (Friday) Furthermore, WUGS will be holding WUGS ARCADE on Saturday from 3pm to midnight (?) in Wohl Center on the South 40. $5 to Child's Play is required for entry, which grants you pizza and free play on many console setups playing various games. I am making sure there is as much Brawl as possible.

null

Smash Apprentice
LOL and why would you be afraid of conservative people?
I could think of a few reasons to...maybe not be afraid, but dislike the idea of being surrounded by such people.

Also,

Smash. I desire it.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
Hey all, Sry i've been absent from the boards for so long. Anyway, I would be holding smash tonight but because of basement problems... I really cant do anything.

by the way. I havent played smash melee or brawl in like 2 weeks so if anyone else is holding something, plz tell me

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
I played melee for the first time since brawl had just come out the other day.

Man, what a joke.

I can still play like, mario and peach just fine. But I was seriously completely confused when it came to pikachu. And the select and wins screens looked so dumb to me.

alt-F4

Smash Ace
Hi guys I live in florissant (very close to st. louis) i was hoping to find some people to play some serious brawl. Im not that good yet, but i don't really have anyone to practice with. So if anyone would like to shoot me a pm about a place and time to get together.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Dang it, I made a big post a day ago but smashboards went down after I posted it and it looks like it never got posted at all... Recap: No alcohol to worry about, and you should definitely come to WUGS on Thursday night. That is the best possible thing you could do. Also, my pre-med roommate in organic chemistry has some class suggestions to visit. I'll stay in touch and stuff.

I'll hook you up, send you a PM or something.

XD! Hahaha, I'm probably one of the most politically conservative people you will ever meet, and trust me, we don't bite. Some people from more liberal regions like you are actually shocked to discover that we have gay friends, don't hate science or evolution, and are rather fond of charity and community service. Stereotypes of crazy rednecks are amusing, but the bulk of conservatives in reality are too busy obsessing over taxes and capitalism to worry about whatever social issues the left seems to think we are hung up on. :p

Actually, all this time we have all been suppressing our latent racism in faint hope of using you guys as bait to attract previously mentioned asian eye-candy.
What's WUGS o_O (Wash U __ __ )
Okay yea I want to hear your friend's advice :p Organo-chem is fun.

And that's good to hear, I'm not typically stereotyped, I just had misgivings, because MO is so different from Cali

TTT

Smash Journeyman
Hey dooshes we all need to smash soon i wouldn't mind having a few ppl over here at SLU. By the way what the hell st. louis med student? since when...i'm an undergrad so i prob don't know you but i know of some random med students. SMASH NAO

S

skyline311

Um, is there anyone for sure smashsing tonight (saturday) If not, you are all welcome to Lindenwood to play on the big screens we have here. If there is a smashfest somewhere, let me know, i need to get some xp under my belt
will you guys do anything for next weekend? I'm completely booked for now, major exam next week :)

S

skyline311

Hey dooshes we all need to smash soon i wouldn't mind having a few ppl over here at SLU. By the way what the hell st. louis med student? since when...i'm an undergrad so i prob don't know you but i know of some random med students. SMASH NAO
Where at SLU would you be referring to? I'd love to play some smash here, especially if I didn't have to drive so far.

In response to the rest of your post...I wouldn't know you either since I don't know any SLU undergrad students. Which random med students are you referring to? If they go to SLU MED I may know them.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Hey brawlpro i see a lot of your posts on YooTub :p
When'd you meet zhu anyways? OC3? or SCC or something?

Just wondering. He's a silly man, and I knew him since he sucked at melee :p (kinda, suck as in 1 stock me as opposed to 4 stock me)

darkatma

Smash Hero
Sweet, techy fox :p I'll have someone techy to play at least
Assuming you live close enough to Wash U :p

We can have fox dittos lol, I had some good ones with Julian (sweetxignorance) yesterday
I need my tech skill back though >< Brawl hasn't done my melee chars any good.

edit: Lol trap

Last edited:

null

Smash Apprentice
Boohiss @ Brawl.
I have to try and play equal amounts of both, or the timing on each game gets thrown off for the first few matches.

Also,

Nothing wrong with being a gaysian at all. In fact... *cough*

null

Smash Apprentice
I've a plan.

Myself and a few Melee players...
We become game designers...
We create Melee 2.0...
And then we add gaysians...
The end...

Best story ever.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
My response to the thread.....

Hmm, I really don't understand why he would go out of his way to make this game less competitive but I think its quite obvious at this point that playing brawl competitively will be a complete and utter joke.

Honestly guys, would you actually put your money into a tournament for a game that has a "random balancing mechanic"(AKA tripping)? I certainly wouldn't. Putting tripping in this game alone is proof that he intentionally strives to lessen the competitive scene of brawl and is a smack in the face to us and our community.

In the transition from 64-Melee, he added new things, but didn't take out much at all. From Melee-Brawl, he took out a hell of a lot including mechanics that actually let the better player win. And yes, I know the game is still new and people are trying to find new "advanced techniques" but I think everyone needs to just face the facts that are right in front of them.

And last, I am confused as to why Sakauri would think a game has to be haphazard, slow, and partially based on luck to be fun. I seem to recall having a ton of fun playing Melee in and outside of its competitive circle as did a few of my none competitive friends who also played. Does he really think that competition is boring, I don't see how he could, as competition is in everything today and is the sole drive for a lot of things. Gimpy mentioned sports. Sports are incredibly competitive and are also a huge source of entertainment, thus people have fun watching and are willing to invest time and money into them. Imagine If in baseball, you wern't allowed to run, randomly tripped at least 3 times a game, and used a T-ball stand instead of a pitcher.....

There is absolutely no plausible reason why a game that involves speed, stratagy, timeing, mindgames, and control cannot be fun too.

Flame away thinkaman :psycho:

darkatma

Smash Hero
Haha I've read that thread as well

I disagree with sakurai's POV in that interview, since I don't see how he had to make the game less deep. He's basically trying to cover up the shoddy game physics, including the buffers, random trips, lack of a lag reducer, and lack of stun lag among others by giving us 500 trophies, 700 stickers, 300 songs, and useless space taking nintendo consoles of the 1980's. (the fact that they're trial versions makes them even more useless, what a terrible way to advertise).

Still, give the game a try, I find that the more I understand about the game the more I enjoy playing it. I play every character (I can use at least 20 of them fairly well), and play on neutral stages. People STILL don't have a fair chance in this game(fair as in Sakurai's fair, everyone wins), because skill is still skill (try that for a tongue twister), and good players still win. I also don't find myself tripping very much anymore because aerials are so important in this game that running around generally isn't even useful. The shield is so good, but now with increased aerial mobility you're able to use non-laggy aerials and be able to DI behind their shield, or space yourself so that you can't get punished. Dash dancing was removed so that the laggy aerials couldn't be punished as well.

I also like the idea of the momentum shifts caused by some moves, and tethering actually has new survival uses now, even with the grab wall of stage effect removed. And take socal's community for example... With 10 tourneys since the game came out, they've been constantly evolving their gameplay and getting better. Watch getyourtournament vids, you'll see the nice progression of skill coming along just fine.. as well as a large variety of tourney viable characters being played.

Anyways, this is the first time i've supported brawl instead of complained about it.. I guess the 'give it a try' statement actually works :p Oh, Melee is still better anyday.

@null, sakurai already has a gaysian added in. His name is Marth

edub

Smash Apprentice
Honestly guys, would you actually put your money into a tournament for a game that has a "random balancing mechanic"(AKA tripping)? I certainly wouldn't. Putting tripping in this game alone is proof that he intentionally strives to lessen the competitive scene of brawl and is a smack in the face to us and our community.
on friday me and a 2 other So Ill'ers decided to go to a brawl tournament. it was sort of like that collinsville tourney (had lots of locals) but i can honestly say that i will continue to put money down on this game. i feel like all of our skills were better than the competition and these random mechanics like tripping really didn't change who won the tournament. the 3 of us placed 1st 2nd and 3rd.

i don't understand how you can say brawl requires little (some people say less), or no skill compared to melee. i would agree that it requires less TECHNICAL skill, but you still need good reaction time, understanding of spacing and priority, and timing.

if i went to this tournament and we didn't get 1st - 3rd place, i would probably be more inclined to agree that brawl should not be a tournament or competitive game. however it has been proven to me that there is skill involved, and that there always will be competition.

also wha'ts baysion?

NetteThomson

Smash Journeyman
Oh for the record, A2 and I lost to someone in Rolla at Brawl who I four stocked at Melee with 17%!

17%...all legit KOs

this is very discouraging.

null

Smash Apprentice
I'm really on the fence.
I like both games, they're both fun, I like the characters in all of them, but the both have their problems.
Since the game has already been released, there's not much we can do to change it (meaning nothing at all), so I guess we'll just have to work with what we have.

As I said, I like both games, and for different reasons. All I could've hoped for is for a mixture of both, then the game would be perfect: A deep game where practice yields rewards, with good graphics, lots of characters, music, and a (generally) well-balanced cast.

About that Marth? I require additional gaysians.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
There is still skill involved, and I definitely enjoy playing Brawl, but Melee is still much better at the competitive level of play. I don't think anyone can deny that at this point. Also, if you read the above thread that I posted it talks about how Sakauri intentionally and deliberately made brawl less competitive than Melee. I'm not sure how true this is but it's really pissing me off.

Also, I don't consider the fact that you guys won that tournament to be a viable reason on how brawl is such a great competitive game. Yes, brawl can be competitive and will be, but does the game itself have potential to be a GOOD competitive game?

You guys won most likely based how much experience you have playing Melee which says something right there... So what few techniques do carry over from melee you guys are really good at. In brawl the only technique I can think of right now is spacing, and we all know that in melee and brawl most noobs are going to lack this 1 technique. I feel that if it does continue this way and spaceing really is the only advanced tech, then this game will become Super Camp Brothers Dumb

Lixi mentioned earlier that you can have competition in anything, including rock paper scissors but is that really something you want to dump your time and money into. Melee was so fast and so fun to watch, as well as play. I have yet to see an even remotely entertaining singles match in brawl,(teams are a different story) and really i'm worried of what the smash scene will become.

Its one thing for the game designer to ignore the competitive scene, but if he intentionally wants to get rid of it, thats another story.

edub

Smash Apprentice
well here's a list of all the advanced techniques in brawl that are found out so far...
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142139

just because you can beat somebody in melee by 4 stocks does not mean that you will be able to beat them in brawl. they are 2 different games and it is a false argument.

even if sakurai tried to get rid of competitive elements from melee, it doesn't get rid of all of them. i think that there are enough competitive elements in brawl to keep the competition running. especially in 2v2s

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
even if sakurai tried to get rid of competitive elements from melee, it doesn't get rid of all of them. I think that there are enough competitive elements in brawl to keep the competition running. especially in 2v2s
Goes back to the rock paper scissors point. Everything can be competitive but its still a downgrade from Melee regardless. I will continue to play brawl and continue to enjoy it, but i'll look to melee for competition.

Qual

Smash Rookie
The playing field for Brawl was definitely leveled. It'll take some time before the pros are separated from the scrubs, but I think we've got a while to go before we know everything there is to know about the game. Though I'd definitely like it more if I cared to play with items and if the online mode didn't frustrate me the way having my nuts slapped around by an old, crazy japanese man does.

Melee was out for 8 god **** years. Brawl will probably overcome.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
well here's a list of all the advanced techniques in brawl that are found out so far...
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142139
Most of the stuff on there is on the order of moonwalking in Melee: character-specific, possibly impressive-looking, but marginally useful at best. And let's be honest, any other stuff people find in the future is likely to be the same way.

But I'm not hung up on the concept of "advanced techniques". Giving Brawl another 10 years won't turn it into Melee; I understand this and I'm OKAY with it. That's not the problem with Brawl and I don't want to hear anyone else parrot the "give Brawl time" line because it just shows they aren't paying attention.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
Most of the stuff on there is on the order of moonwalking in Melee: character-specific, possibly impressive-looking, but marginally useful at best. And let's be honest, any other stuff people find in the future is likely to be the same way.
Ahh Lixi beat me to it.

Soma

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros: Mario Party Edition...

At least thats what it feels like at times. If I wanted randomness and luck I'd go play the lotto you know... The lack of control in Brawl takes out all the satisfaction of winning at least for me. I don't feel like I won, I feel like the game let me win.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Flame away thinkaman :psycho:
Heeheehee, it's party time!

My response to the thread.....
I posted a reply in the thread a while ago, you can go read it if you want. However, the important thing is that the entire perception of that interview as anti-competitive is a joke. Sakurai is saying that competition is the soul of the game, and that people should be able to have fun while losing. That is what competition means, after all. You losing cannot be a learning experience or fun, then that is what makes something non-competitive.

I don't mean to get on a high horse here, but the fact remains:

I have met Sakurai, and you have not. I have talked to Sakurai, and you have not. I have listened to Sakurai talk about competition and balance in his game and how important he considers it, and you have not. Nothing you ever say will change this, because I have heard it from the man's mouth in person.

Hmm, I really don't understand why he would go out of his way to make this game less competitive but I think its quite obvious at this point that playing brawl competitively will be a complete and utter joke.
Scrub. Do you not realize that you sound exactly like the people you hate, who claim that Melee isn't supposed to be played competitively?

Everyone is acting like they are automatically privileged to be good at Brawl jsut because they were good at Melee. Nobody owes you a game that you are automatically good at. Learn. To. Play.

There is absolutely no plausible reason why a game that involves speed, stratagy, timeing, mindgames, and control cannot be fun too.[/QUOTE[

That is why he made one. Three, in fact, four if you count Meteos. Listen, you are sounding like a scrub, because you are blaming the game for faults that are only found in yourself. When a scrub loses, they discredit the game instead of learning to play and get better. "Fox shouldn't be able to shine me to death at 20%, Jigglypuff shouldn't be able to survive that, Peach shouldn't be able to pull out death turnips..." The list of excuses goes on and on. You have to accept games for what they are in reality, not the fictional constructs of your mind. As long as you fail to do this for any game, whether it is Melee, Brawl, Halo, or Badminton, you are doomed to not enjoy it.

serious brawl? There is no such thing =\
If you read one sentence of this post, make it this:
As long as you believe it, it will be true.

There is still skill involved, and I definitely enjoy playing Brawl, but Melee is still much better at the competitive level of play. I don't think anyone can deny that at this point.
*whistles* :p

Also, if you read the above thread that I posted it talks about how Sakauri intentionally and deliberately made brawl less competitive than Melee. I'm not sure how true this is but it's really pissing me off.
That interpretation of the interview is laughable and ********. Do you think Sakurai stayed up at night trying to find just the right amount of start-up lag for Fox's up-smash because he wanted to make a non-competitive game that was devoid of skill or mastery?

Also, I don't consider the fact that you guys won that tournament to be a viable reason on how brawl is such a great competitive game. Yes, brawl can be competitive and will be, but does the game itself have potential to be a GOOD competitive game?
Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe we should play Halo, or join the circus.

Personally though, I'm going with the option that involves less Halo and clowns, and more Brawl.

In brawl the only technique I can think of right now is spacing, and we all know that in melee and brawl most noobs are going to lack this 1 technique. I feel that if it does continue this way and spaceing really is the only advanced tech, then this game will become Super Camp Brothers Dumb
...What? that doesn't even make sense. That would be like saying the only skill in Melee is timing, and calling the game "Super Reflex Bros. ********". If you refuse to believe there is any depth to Brawl, then for you personally there won't be. Such is the way of the scrub, which you should know better than.

Its one thing for the game designer to ignore the competitive scene, but if he intentionally wants to get rid of it, thats another story.
Sakurai is not in some bunker watching smash videos on Youtube and plotting how to make the game less fun. Do you realize how ridiculous the idea is that a game designer would want to make a game less fun for the people that play it?

The important thing I would like to conclude with is that no one is asking anyone to commit to Brawl, or enjoy it unquestionably. You don't have to sign a contract or marry the game, and you don't have to snap your Melee discs in half. You have nothing to lose by going into Brawl with an optimistic competitive attitude, and everything to lose by going in with a pessimistic scrub attitude.

So... smash any time soon? :chuckle:

Top Bottom