• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

edub

Smash Apprentice
Translations:

I just played melee for the first time. It's annoying that throws don't kill and players just fall like bricks everywhere. I think we should stick to Smash 64 tournaments so we all can get better at a game that will be gone in a year.
you definately didn't get the right message if that's what you think i wrote.
i'd suggest re-reading my last post

Apollo

BRoomer
BRoomer
edub, Zig's only saying that there were significant changes between Melee and 64, and we all played Melee for years. Throws and falling speeds changed in big ways.

Brawl 75% is not like Melee 75% which is not like S64 75%. You get used to the changes.

Great post, Thinkaman. I was about to say something similar when I realized that you already said it very well.

I need to play some of you people this weekend.
I think "slow" is the new ultimate john.
Absolutely

Apollo

BRoomer
BRoomer
The point is that there are differences between each(some major ones), and a lot of people are getting used to the differences between Melee and Brawl just as many people got accustomed to Melee from 64. The changes aren't the same, so I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you can't compare the comparisons, but either way there are things in each that are going to be annoying if you know and love any certain one.

Book!

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why any opinion on gameplay mechanics always has to be prefaced by "but Sakurai wanted..." No one can mention wavedashing without spawning a debate over whether or not it was added intentionally by the developers. Glitch or not, I think wavedashing integrates seamlessly with Melee and adds many new options that make the game more fun to play. I couldn't care less about whether or not Sakurai consciously added it to the game. I doubt that anyone on the development team for Melee envisioned the game being played as it is in tournies today. Likewise, I really don't care whether or not Sakurai deliberately attempted to remove all of the competitive elements from Brawl; I'm only concerned with how the game plays. I prefer the gameplay in Melee for many reasons, all of which, I'm sure, have been typed up a thousand times by other people.

I don't hate Brawl; my friends and I played for hours in the days following its release. Now that the release hype has died down, however, I find that playing Brawl just makes me want to play Melee. Is it because I know how to play Melee and I'm afraid that my skills won't carry over? Doubtful. I'm hardly good at Melee, and I need only play a few matches with people like Toga and Andy to see that. For me, Brawl just fails to capture the excitement and fun of Melee. I expect that someday, someone will show me the light and change my mind. :)

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
Tinka, I'm sorry I upset you, but that was honestly an attempt to get more Stl ppl to play brawl so i can come play with them and get better. You saw the calibur of smashers here at Lindenwood when you came to my tournament. If I can't play with you guys in Brawl, my progress will forever be at a halt
Or you could just play melee, the better game :chuckle:

Seriously though guys, I do enjoy brawl, I think there is plenty of potential for teams in brawl maybe even more than melee. Singles though.... not so sure.

edub

Smash Apprentice

Someone hasn't played brawl for more than 5 minutes.
haha, i guess i do look stupid for saying that

i meant that it is much harder to gimp for the most part.

and the whole "comparing the comparisons" was me mocking zig

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Glad to see our fine thread is back on track with good posts from everyone involved... and no "OMG SAKURAI IS TEH JESUS WALL OF TEXT" from me.

it's just annoying that nobody dies until like 150%+
Who did you main in Melee?

Oh. :p

it's annoying that there are no gimps
I think TTT beat me to it.

I expect that someday, someone will show me the light and change my mind. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDLuXNpUF7w

Thread over.

edub

Smash Apprentice
thinkaman, that's precisely my point
think of how gay it was to fight peach. now every character has the same annoying attributes that she had in melee. it's almost like every brawl match is a peach vs peach melee ditto. that being said i don't think i've played brawl for more than 3 hours at a time (besides the first couple days it came out). it's fun for a while and then just gets old quickly.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
thinkaman, that's precisely my point
think of how gay it was to fight peach. now every character has the same annoying attributes that she had in melee. it's almost like every brawl match is a peach vs peach melee ditto. that being said i don't think i've played brawl for more than 3 hours at a time (besides the first couple days it came out). it's fun for a while and then just gets old quickly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w69WHqvsW8M

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
Old video zig. Love the part where his shiek accidently goes into the barrel and kills him whiles hes trying to edgeguard.

@thinkaman, LOL, I dont remember Zero saying that in the actual game is that dubbed over? Also, if you didnt know already, I'm an even bigger fan of Zero than I am of Geno. But I still <3 both :)

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Old video zig. Love the part where his shiek accidently goes into the barrel and kills him whiles hes trying to edgeguard.
Wait, y-...you mean...old videos of competitive games arent...relevant?

Are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that this old footage, humorously edited and presented in order to point out its age, isn't indicative as to how the game evolved and played out years later!?

Next, you're gonna tell me Melee wasn't a competitive game in 2001!

edub

Smash Apprentice

Are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that this old footage, humorously edited and presented in order to point out its age, isn't indicative as to how the game evolved and played out years later!?

hell naw
lets all just go back to smash 64 bros
wtf is up with this laggy online bs. at least smash 64 has good online game play when emulated

Book!

Smash Journeyman
Not even Megaman games could have dialogue that overblown and cheesy, Geno. The audio is ripped from a horrifying Devil May Cry cutscene. :chuckle:

GenoBlast

Smash Ace

umm, dude, all I did was say it was an old video....... not to mention this video has NOTHING to do with competitive smash but I'm just throwing that out there.

In other news though. Who all would be up for this idea in the near future.
Instead of holding my usual smashfests I'll hold a Retro-gaming fest!
We'll have smash of course, but i'm thinking of setting up my SNES, Genisis, and NES. I'll also bring down my 2 computers with emulators and we can play some that way.

Just checking to see who all would be interested.

edub

Smash Apprentice

rofl the vid has items in it
last time i checked competitive melee had no items

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
In other news though. Who all would be up for this idea in the near future. Instead of holding my usual smashfests I'll hold a Retro-gaming fest! We'll have smash of course, but i'm thinking of setting up my SNES, Genisis, and NES. I'll also bring down my 2 computers with emulators and we can play some that way.

Tales of Symphest!
Final Fantafest!
Mega Man... fest...
...Sonicfest?

At any rate, I have a Wii with entirely too many Virtual Console games, as well as a variety of old games available in some format on the Gamecube and DS/GBA. Of course, some day we will need to do my epic challenge/contest/event, aka...

~*/THE GREAT INDOOR FIGHT\*~

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
In other news though. Who all would be up for this idea in the near future.
Instead of holding my usual smashfests I'll hold a Retro-gaming fest!
We'll have smash of course, but i'm thinking of setting up my SNES, Genisis, and NES. I'll also bring down my 2 computers with emulators and we can play some that way.

You guys like sonic adventure 2?
Geno, u got Killer instinct???

BP, I LOVE THAT GAME

MuBa

Smash Lord
Whoo!
Oh yeah!

Rolling around at the speed of sound,
Got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow.
Can't stick around, have to keep moving on,
Guess what lies ahead? Only one way to find out!
Must keep on moving ahead,
No time for guessing, follow my plan instead.
Trusting in what you can't see,
Take my lead, I'll set you free.

Follow me, set me free,
Trust me and we will escape from the city.
I'll make it through, follow me.
Follow me, set me free,
I'll make it through, prove it to you.

Follow me!
Oh yeah!

Danger is lurking around every turn,
Trust your feelings, got to live and learn.
I know with some luck that I'll make it through,
Got no other options, only one thing to do!
I don't care what lies ahead,
No time for guessing, follow my plan instead.
Find that next stage, no matter what that may be.
Take my lead, I'll set you free.

Follow me, set me free,
I'll make it through, follow me.
Follow me, set me free,
I'll make it through, prove it to you.

Follow me!
Follow me!

I'll make it through, oh yeah!

And yes I love Sonic Adventures 2. Only thing I hate about the game are the bad camera angles.

Sonic Heroes > Sonic Adventures 2 btw.

Random6669

Smash Apprentice
Oh sure, tear into the low tier Roy for some giggles. You'll laugh, I'll laugh, others will laugh, and Roy will die a little inside.

Trying to fight on a professional level with Roy has the difficulty equivalence to stirring concrete with your eyelashes.

Aside from teh Roy, who has teh Fyre!, Geno needs to have a smash fest tonight...a Melee fest at that.

Also, this is the most extreme case of public verbal **** I have ever seen in my life. So I want you all to watch it and enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnJnA_mt_UA&feature=related

Lixivium

Smash Champion
So I just played a Brawl tournament at WashU yesterday: best out of one, single elimination.

I got second place to Toga and won an Ipod Shuffle with gift receipt.

- Quick tally -

Net Melee costs - tournament fees: $300 (estimated)
Net Melee winnings: $32 (all spent on food)

Net Brawl costs - tournament fees: none
Net winnings: $49.99 (cash value)

I'm starting to like Brawl more already.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I did feel bad for Thinkaman though. These guys drew a funky bracket so that I essentially got a bye but Kyle had to play Toga in the second round.

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
SA2 is garbage.... SA1 was boss hog. sonic heroes wasn't bad.

Brawl rocks. Still trying to find a venue for a tourney down here... will let everyone know when i get one.

Top Bottom