• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Hacking: NEW Research + Documentation

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I see that Achilles has a version of Hyrule Maze where characters spawn directly in the relevant stage - does anyone have the file / code for this? could I possibly get it on my setup?
Did I post something about this? It's an unfinished code, btw. And it has no merit at the moment because if P1 is not in the game then everything falls apart. I need to figure out about stage-specific camera functions before continuing with that project.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Oh, they are still here. You just looked at the wrong place, I knew where they were, but thought they would be invisible. Here they are if you move back the carema directly from the stage (You can see DK and Pika The Yellow Spot where the characters fight). I had to test it on console to be sure, this is why the camera picture. The cars can't move at all, so at any point in the stage, they're stay frozen at the same place in the 3D space.View attachment 50175
Figured out why I couldn't see them. I was using free look when the game was running, not paused. What I found was the cars move straight forward and clip off the track and eventually fade away into the pink sunset. :p
If you pause the game when you spawn, you'll see them on the track. Pause a little later, they move off the track. Pause again and so on.

Last edited:

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP

Milun

Smash Ace
So I thought I'd share what I'm working on to this exclusive club since I've been absent for a while:

Tilty

Twisty

Basically I've overwritten the stages main model with a trophy or portion of trophy.

With Venom, the plan is to have a nice normal FD. The twist would be that Venom naturally tilts itself slightly as it moves (like Lylat Cruise would). For Depths though I'm a bit unsure. I can easily disable or manipulate the stages rotation, because I know a lot won't like it. I still want to see if a legal alternative can be achieved though. Not much ideas in that regard.

Oh, should probably mention: I can only easily swap the model for one trophy (becomes quite challenging after that). Basically what I need is a good "base" trophy I can then model hack into what the stage needs.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Example: I basically need an idea for a trophy to use for the FD for Venom. I'd like something that makes sense to be in that situation (i.e., flying around a planet). I'm thinking maybe an F-Zero car or a Legendary Bird Pokemon (though that would look bad as I can't animate it flying). I can keep the exhaust from the original stage and use it by the way.

Last edited:

Myougi

So I thought I'd share what I'm working on to this exclusive club since I've been absent for a while:

Tilty

Twisty

Basically I've overwritten the stages main model with a trophy or portion of trophy.

With Venom, the plan is to have a nice normal FD. The twist would be that Venom naturally tilts itself slightly as it moves (like Lylat Cruise would). For Depths though I'm a bit unsure. I can easily disable or manipulate the stages rotation, because I know a lot won't like it. I still want to see if a legal alternative can be achieved though. Not much ideas in that regard.

Oh, should probably mention: I can only easily swap the model for one trophy (becomes quite challenging after that). Basically what I need is a good "base" trophy I can then model hack into what the stage needs.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Example: I basically need an idea for a trophy to use for the FD for Venom. I'd like something that makes sense to be in that situation (i.e., flying around a planet). I'm thinking maybe an F-Zero car or a Legendary Bird Pokemon (though that would look bad as I can't animate it flying). I can keep the exhaust from the original stage and use it by the way.
I know you guys where trying to do this with Luigi's target test but...
There's a Gamecube Trophy...

Another suggestion:
Play on the area in front of Peach's Castle (kinda like Super Smash Flash)

This might work as far as stages go (if you can remove the top bit):
(If you're looking for a trophy as a base model, this is probably your best bet. It's called Heririn.)
Kururin sets off in his specialized helicopter to rescue his siblings who have lost their way somewhere among ten worlds. The helicopter is fitted with an enormous blade, which propels the machine forward by slowly rotating. The mazes that Kururin must navigate are narrow and filled with all kinds of strange obstacles.

Another idea I guess:

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
I know you guys where trying to do this with Luigi's target test but...
There's a Gamecube Trophy...

Another suggestion:
Play on the area in front of Peach's Castle (kinda like Super Smash Flash)

This might work as far as stages go (if you can remove the top bit):
(If you're looking for a trophy as a base model, this is probably your best bet. It's called Heririn.)

Another idea I guess:
Gamecube's probably my best bet of those. The rest generally wouldn't be liked by a lot of people due to not being "legal" in design. As for Peach's castle, I think I could just change the real stage to just be more in the background (though the walkoffs would be a problem).

I'm thinking for Brinstar I'll just edit the existing stage model now that I think about it. It fits the atmosphere better than any of the trophies I could find (natually).

Last edited:

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP
Would it be difficult to make any of these versions with the "trophy catcher" middle platform intact? It provided interesting strategic diversity because you couldn't drop through it AND it stopped projectiles.
Great idea, SillyGoose.

GALE01-44.png
Download Link Here: https://www.mediafire.com/?k95l2aazjlk3cl5

GALE01-45.png
Download Link Here: https://www.mediafire.com/?a5vhw6saqcdfk80

These stages are identical to the versions @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 made, but with the middle platform intact. The middle platform stops projectiles and can't be dropped through, differentiating the stage from GreenGreens and PS. Thanks to him for doing the hard work.

That was just my spawn points code and me being lazy and not updating it since I had moved the platforms. So yeah, it's fixed.
I'm confused about this. in the posted downloads, everyone still spawns in the center?

I made these stages simply by mixing and matching hex code, so they code be buggy, and I haven't tried them on anything but Dolphin. Please let me know if something doesn't work as expected!

If someone could help me find the texture offsets for this stage, I would appreciate it. I'd like to make a few QoL changes.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
@ Milun Milun
So do you know how to duplicate objects? I know zankyou did it with some of his stage hacks, and I've been curious to know. And not just completely adding a new one, but something like changing a bush on Dreamland into one of the platforms.

Milun

Smash Ace
@ Milun Milun
So do you know how to duplicate objects? I know zankyou did it with some of his stage hacks, and I've been curious to know. And not just completely adding a new one, but something like changing a bush on Dreamland into one of the platforms.
I sorta do. I did manage once to change one of the stars in Dreamland into a bush. It's in the position data. There's a pointer after the position which points to the object said position applies to. If you change the pointer to a different object, it gets duplicated to that place instead. I'll get back to you when I've had time to test it (just speaking from memory here).

shuall

Smash Apprentice
I sorta do. I did manage once to change one of the stars in Dreamland into a bush. It's in the position data. There's a pointer after the position which points to the object said position applies to. If you change the pointer to a different object, it gets duplicated to that place instead. I'll get back to you when I've had time to test it (just speaking from memory here).
can you just give me the file and offset? I'm interested as to what type of struct you changed, and might be able to give you lists of different places in other files that you could do the same thing to.

Milun

Smash Ace

As you can see, I replaced one of the flowers (which were originally stars) with a tree. This is GrOp.dat

Here's an example of a star (flower's) position data:

Offset: 24A0

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 3F 80 00 00 3F 80 00 00
3F 80 00 00 41 65 00 00 40 20 00 00 C2 03 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 28 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 24 E8 00 00 1F 58 00 00 00 00

Now here's one of the minor trees (not whispy):

Offset: 2220

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 3F 80 00 00 3F 80 00 00
3F 80 00 00 C2 22 00 00 00 00 00 00 C2 52 96 0E
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 24 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 22 68 00 00 19 98 00 00 00 00

In order to replace one with the other, you just need to copy the two underlined values in the same positions from one to the other. I haven't really tested the full extent of this, so I dont know to what extent it copies, but as you can see it works just fine for static models.

Oh, and for the record I'm not sure what these offsets mean. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the first value actually ends before that last 00 (i.e. 00 00 08 28 instead of 00 08 28 00), simply because it gives more meaningful offsets.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Thanks, that's really nice to hear.
English is the only language that matters, imo ;)

Btw here's your Mushroom Kingdom Stage:
https://www.mediafire.com/?sgv8qkgt7g7v0i3

I just removed the pipe on the right, are there any other visual objects to remove?
I ask, cause I don't know your camera view with the new blast- and cameralines.
Ohsm, do you happen to know the offset for the object data of the platforms on that Yoshi island portion of the stage? I like them, but they're a little...thick...so I wanted to mess with their Y-axis scale to make them skinnier.

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Ohsm, do you happen to know the offset for the object data of the platforms on that Yoshi island portion of the stage? I like them, but they're a little...thick...so I wanted to mess with their Y-axis scale to make them skinnier.
I'm not a 100% sure if I documented them, when I'm at home this evening I'll take a look.

Edit: Here ya go

Note that the platforms stick together, changing anything will effect both.
Change the highlighted "80" to a lower value and it should work :)

Btw, did you made any progress for the playable adventure stages for 4.0?

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
@ Milun Milun in the site in the rar file it links to a TCS creator as a resource, could you upload that yourself? The mediafire link is down and the original uploader's site is also down.

Milun

Smash Ace
@ Milun Milun in the site in the rar file it links to a TCS creator as a resource, could you upload that yourself? The mediafire link is down and the original uploader's site is also down.
I'll see if I can find it. I think I lost mine as well a long time ago too, heh.

http://puu.sh/ionoH/98f34824c6.bat

Here you go. Now, I can't really recall how this works. Basically all it does is generates the .tcs files which you'd then use with TCS Creator (this was made in the very old days of Melee hacking, so it's likely redundant now). I think you basically need to put it in the root of Steelia's texture dumps and it'll do the rest for you maybe? What I'm getting at is: use with caution. I made this around 6 years ago and completely forgot what it does.

Also, to the rest of you; sorry about my recent silence. Recently started a job and haven't really been in the mood for Melee hacking as a result.

Milun

Smash Ace
Yeah, they're getting there.

Sorry about the really bad gifs.
Oh wow. Gimme a headsup before you release that. If you intend to use them (which would be an honor by the way), I'm not happy with the current state of my Peaches Castle, Great Bay and Hyrule hacks.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Oh wow. Gimme a headsup before you release that. If you intend to use them (which would be an honor by the way), I'm not happy with the current state of my Peaches Castle, Great Bay and Hyrule hacks.
I'm still not certain what the complete list of stages on the hacked SSS will be and if it will include all those.

I think I'm basically finished with the adventure stages now, but it takes a fair amount of ASM codes as well, in conjunction with the modified stage files. I'll probably release a test version for the Melee workshop before 4.00's release, but I still don't have a date for that. My available Melee coding time seems to be dwindling at the moment, which is sad to me.

Btw, do you know of any way to find stage lighting values for any stage file? I'd like to adjust the lighting on the hyrule maze stage, if possible, because I find it to be a little dark on those Link transformation stages. I haven't looked into this much, but my first attempt at finding lighting values awhile back proved fruitless.

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 How did you add grabbable ledges to your collect the targets map? Since I mostly finished up my jungle japes modifications im moving on to flat zone and theres no default grabbable ledges for me to just move around like i did with jj.

Edit: Nevermind, i figured it out. One step closer.

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
By way to find stage lighting values for any stage file? I'd like to adjust the lighting on the hyrule maze stage, if possible, because I find it to be a little dark on those Link transformation stages. I haven't looked into this much, but my first attempt at finding lighting values awhile back proved fruitless.
Sorry it took me a while to respond. Lighting... lighting...

Ok, this is GrOp. The green part is the magnifier colours. The yellow part should be the stage lighting? It's been a while since I've used these, so I'm not 100% sure. You can easily find these values by finding the magnifier data (it follows the RR GG BB FF pattern). Go to the end of the file, Ctrl-F 3F 80 backwards until you find the stage camera + blastline info. The magnifier data is above that.

Hope that helps.

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 How did you add grabbable ledges to your collect the targets map? Since I mostly finished up my jungle japes modifications im moving on to flat zone and theres no default grabbable ledges for me to just move around like i did with jj.

Edit: Nevermind, i figured it out. One step closer.
May I ask you how you did this?

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
May I ask you how you did this?
First i found the collision data (You can just use cell's program http://smashboards.com/threads/mele...not-user-friendly.328552/page-2#post-18656959). Once you find which data corresponds to the points you're trying to work with, you can move to the link table. Take the index of the two points that are being connected to make your platform (If they are the first two in the spot table they would be 00 and 01), convert their index to hex and search through the link table to find where they are linked together. Then using the spreadsheet you can change the ground flags to 02 to make them grabbable.

The spreadsheet is very useful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P9CGAdDLIsrG3xtH2tCEK_Exkw6L5Pubz6r5NOUPQWM/edit#gid=0

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Sorry it took me a while to respond. Lighting... lighting...

Ok, this is GrOp. The green part is the magnifier colours. The yellow part should be the stage lighting? It's been a while since I've used these, so I'm not 100% sure. You can easily find these values by finding the magnifier data (it follows the RR GG BB FF pattern). Go to the end of the file, Ctrl-F 3F 80 backwards until you find the stage camera + blastline info. The magnifier data is above that.

Hope that helps.
Cool, thanks! I'll take a look into it next time I get a chance.

EDIT:
Vibrant Melee
Capture.PNG

The RGB color with 00040000 behind it is the camera shadow color.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Does anyone know the location of the object data for Final Destination's main stage? I couldn't find it in my initial attempt.

(GrNLa.dat)

Arbitrarily searching for this **** pisses me off. There's gotta be a way to directly find it.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Does anyone know the location of the object data for Final Destination's main stage? I couldn't find it in my initial attempt.

(GrNLa.dat)

Arbitrarily searching for this **** pisses me off. There's gotta be a way to directly find it.
Try using Steelia's texture locations and work backwards from there.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
He's back
He took the bait! Woohoo!

Code:
Final Destination (GrNLa.dat)

Various Object Data Offsets
F488 - entire main stage (but not grating) & collisions
F4c8 - bottom rotating section and black sphere
F508 - white glow around sphere
F548 - main stage only (no grating)
F588 - top rotating columns

Fe08 - grating diamonds, far side
Fec8 - yellow curve lines moving on grating, far side
10088 - grating, complete, far side
10388 - grating diamonds, closest to camera
10448 - yellow curve lines moving on grating, closest to camera
10608 - grating, complete, closest to camera

48c14 - entire moving circular background

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Does anyone know how to change the movement locations of the crane platform on Fourside? I'd like to make it go further left/right but I'm not sure how that would work with it being attached to other objects.

Myougi

Does anyone know how to change the movement locations of the crane platform on Fourside? I'd like to make it go further left/right but I'm not sure how that would work with it being attached to other objects.
I do to a certain extent. From what me and Milun know the crane on Fourside moves in a square to four corners then repeats it, but when I was working on the improved Fourside for SDR and the Comm build I could never get the platform to move further left/right without it moving straight up into the sky. Really wonky stuff.
[collapse=Milun's Fourside Notes]
GrFs (Fourside):

4B446 - Magnifier

4B48C - how HIGH the crane goes at a certain point.

Changing first 3 lines after magnifier made the crane move faster, and with weird positioning.
Changing the next two lines made the crane move and stop, and the UFO to appear/dissapear faster

2E690 - Background Skyscraper. - Appears to control HOW it moves when the camera moves.

30974 - Changes location of the light glow

36BB4 - Crane position

- The crane makes a square as it moves. I think these are the corners?
4B488 - Position low/left ---NO!
4B48C - Position high/left ---NO!
4B490 - Position low/right
4B494 - Position high/right

4B484 - 4 Hexs, how long it takes the crane to 'jut' up (on the left?).
The similar values before it are the time it takes for various things.

4B478 - THESE 4 Are the timers between the crane motions.

4B4A0 - Timer... UFO! Set it to 7F 7F for no more UFO!

K, one of these timers is the helicopter.

30978 - This and the next two are the 3 Lights on the middle section at the front bottom most part.

2E914 - This plus next 2 move the MIDDLE building.
2E9D8 - Middle floor model.

306F4 - Red lights
2EC54 - Move the right building
2EE14 - Move the left building

306F5 - Red (I don't know what I was referring to here).
30A34 - White
30B3C - This and the next two are the front left lights
2EA94 - MORE LIGHTS!

30978 - This and next two are the 3 lights at the right front.
2EA98 - This and next two are the 3 lights at the right back.
2ED58 - This and next two are the 3 lights at the left back.
2EB54 - One of the lights on the tower.
308B8 - The rightmost 3 lights.
30B34 - The 3 lights on the bump on the left.
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I do to a certain extent. From what me and Milun know the crane on Fourside moves in a square to four corners then repeats it, but when I was working on the improved Fourside for SDR and the Comm build I could never get the platform to move further left/right without it moving straight up into the sky. Really wonky stuff.
[collapse=Milun's Fourside Notes]
GrFs (Fourside):

4B446 - Magnifier

4B48C - how HIGH the crane goes at a certain point.

Changing first 3 lines after magnifier made the crane move faster, and with weird positioning.
Changing the next two lines made the crane move and stop, and the UFO to appear/dissapear faster

2E690 - Background Skyscraper. - Appears to control HOW it moves when the camera moves.

30974 - Changes location of the light glow

36BB4 - Crane position

- The crane makes a square as it moves. I think these are the corners?
4B488 - Position low/left ---NO!
4B48C - Position high/left ---NO!
4B490 - Position low/right
4B494 - Position high/right

4B484 - 4 Hexs, how long it takes the crane to 'jut' up (on the left?).
The similar values before it are the time it takes for various things.

4B478 - THESE 4 Are the timers between the crane motions.

4B4A0 - Timer... UFO! Set it to 7F 7F for no more UFO!

K, one of these timers is the helicopter.

30978 - This and the next two are the 3 Lights on the middle section at the front bottom most part.

2E914 - This plus next 2 move the MIDDLE building.
2E9D8 - Middle floor model.

306F4 - Red lights
2EC54 - Move the right building
2EE14 - Move the left building

306F5 - Red (I don't know what I was referring to here).
30A34 - White
30B3C - This and the next two are the front left lights
2EA94 - MORE LIGHTS!

30978 - This and next two are the 3 lights at the right front.
2EA98 - This and next two are the 3 lights at the right back.
2ED58 - This and next two are the 3 lights at the left back.
2EB54 - One of the lights on the tower.
308B8 - The rightmost 3 lights.
30B34 - The 3 lights on the bump on the left.
[/collapse]
Yeah, I couldn't move it with that information. But I sort of have an idea...

Wishz

Smash Rookie
Would changing the background of stages with this create some kind of desync during netplay? My computer doesnt run well on certain stages because of their background :/

EDIT: My brain almost exploded trying to understand how to even start.. How would you make it so that stages just have a background image kinda like dreamland? My computer can run that stage really well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom