• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage policy and starter stages: my easy solution to stage rules

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This has come up all over, and it's a very important point I want to make (I've owed you guys this thread for days, sorry!). I see many people post "reasonable" stage lists that have an all around decent set of legal stages... but then they ruin the stage list and make it incredibly unreasonable with this concept of counterpick only stages, semi-banning most of the stages.

Traditional smash stage rules (back in the good old days before Brawl even came out) were that stages were divided into three groups. The six starter stages in Melee were the stages from which game one was randomly played, the counterpick stages were the stages a player could pick for games 2 and 3 after losing the previous game (though a player could also pick a starter stage at his or her leisure), and the banned stages were not allowed to be picked at all. The theory was that the starter stages were overall a pretty similar set of stages to each other (the flat + plat stages) so the random stage wouldn't swing the match too much, the counterpick stages were more unique but fair, and the banned stages really were not very fair at all. The system was functional but had some flaws. The randomly selected stage might still offer some real advantages versus other possibilities, and since starter stages could be counterpicked, only starter stages offered a consistent path to victory (you can win a whole set playing only on starter stages but not playing only on counterpick stages) which meant that at high levels few strong players actually picked the counterpick only stages.

In Brawl we had a great idea known as stage striking. This is a system in which players take turns removing stages from the stage pool until only one remains. This completely eliminates the problem of randomness in game one swinging sets, and it removes the need to keep the starter list down in order to make sure the random factor is reduced. Striking between two educated players will always pick the middle stage on the stage list in terms of fairness. Unfortunately, we had a lot of problems in the Brawl days; we didn't really work together at all, and people had this bizarre idea that banning a lot of stages would somehow make Meta Knight less overpowered (spoilers: he dominated anyway). We kept the counteprick stage idea despite it being antiquated by even that point, and while eventually a lot of people realized it was a bad concept, so many of them instead just banned almost every stage in response. Whatever; it was Brawl, and the game had issues that people were trying to fix whether their solutions were good or not.

That brings us to today. We have a game that has no character like Meta Knight who is just overpowering like that to distract us, and this game also has a very large number of very tame stages moreso than any other smash game. What would be a huge mistake would be following the same old paradigm and having a small number of starters and any set at all of counterpick only stages. Here's what in particular counterpick only stages with a small starter list means:

-Characters who are good on only some of the legal stages are artificially helped or hurt. Every legal stage is competitively legitimate; any stage that is not competitively legitimate would be a banned stage. There's no real reason that being good on any one of the legal stages should matter more than being good on others; only by having every one of them as a starter are we being truly fair and not just arbitrarily deciding that players who main some characters deserve to place higher than players who main other characters for any reason other than the game's natural balance.

-Learning the counterpick stages is a strategic mistake and will be rarely done. As I said before, the most straightforward way to win a tournament set is to win game one on a starter and then to win on your own counterpick. By making your counterpick a starter stage and just playing a character who excels on the starter stages, you minimize the amount you need to learn and put yourself consistently in a winning position. Almost all strong players will do this. Counterpick only stages will only be picked rarely by naive players. Since most other players will not have practiced on the counterpick only stages (because being able to perform on these stages is not important to winning tournaments), gameplay on these stages will inevitably be super sloppy as one side will have essentially no familiarity with the stage. Who wants legal game elements that are almost always wrong to utilize and that when chosen create bad looking gameplay?

-Variety is quashed. Larger starter lists have more variables and thus more ways to turn out in different match-ups and between different players. A 5 stage starter list usually includes Final Destination which is almost always struck and otherwise often involves the same styles of decisions across match-ups that will tend to lead to the same stage or two all of the time (hence the idea that Smashville is the stage picked 90% of the time). Playing on the same stage in game one 90% of the time is boring for players, very boring for stream viewers, and doesn't really work in the interest of fairness at all (there is no neutral stage so you're just maximizing the importance of one stage's biases this way).

-Stages are chosen arbitrarily. Generally there's some decent standards in place for what stages are legal or not legal; we can point to clean, distinct reasons why Skyloft is a good legal stage while Gamer is a dubious one. The starter vs counterpick distinction tends to be completely arbitrary. What makes Battlefield a "better" starter stage than Skyloft? We can very easily establish both stages are rock solid competitive stages; breaking up these solid stages into two groups usually ends up being a list of stages one guy likes more and one guy likes somewhat less which is not a good way to make rules.

What I propose is that we have 13 legal starters and no additional legal stages. We can argue about the 13 a little but only have a few real ways to end up at it; this is pretty close to the number of non-controversial stages in this game. 13 is a very easy number to strike from and has balanced striking. We've run it locally here; it works in practice very well. I've seen a few counter-arguments but honestly I see no merit in any of them; let me run through them:

-Striking will take too long. 13 is a small number really; we used this locally, and going through the list tended to take under a minute. This is what actually happened in a real tournament when it was used; it was super fast. If anyone has actually done it and not just hypothetically thought about it and had time issues that would be interesting, but so far, 100% of the time it has been used it worked and was quick and 0% of the time it was used it caused time issues. It seems reasonable to conclude it's fast until definitive proof to the contrary is presented.

-Some stages will always be struck anyway/you'll end up on Smashville anyway. This is so incredibly not true. When I saw it in action, I saw almost every stage come up; out of 13 legal stages, I believe I saw 10 be used in game one at least once at a single event. When given choices in practice, players really do use them. Particular players have particular striking habits and may often end up on the same few stages, but you just have to peer over to other set-ups that don't involve you to see they tend to strike a lot differently and favor different stages. Even if a stage is always struck, the act of striking it is the act of that player having one fewer strike to use otherwise and having to strike it changes the final stage the game will be played on. Smashville does not come up unusually often when actual striking from a large list is done; players seem to agree to it a lot out of laziness or bad habit, but as players become more educated about what a huge strategic mistake agreeing to Smashville is for at least one side (I still owe a thread teaching how to strike effectively, will probably do that one in video form), you'll see it less and less.

-It's hard to keep track of that many stages. This is definitely objectively false. The random stage switch can be used as an in-game solution to keep track of the stages directly. Even better, the omega forms have their own independent tracking of what's allowed for random. Here's what you do. Before the tournament, set all of the legal stages to both the normal stages and the omega stages. Strike from the normal stages, removing stages from the list as struck. Before the next set, the new players will look at the omega random stage select and copy whichever stages are on over to the normal stages before striking from the normal stages. Even if every player has the memory of a gnat and can't keep track of what's legal or what has already been struck, the game keeps track of all of it easily.

I bring this up as such a big point because out of all stage questions starter list is what really matters to player experience. 5 starter lists worsen the player experience (and bore stream viewers to tears) while offering literally no advantage over 13 starter lists. Why would we choose to play a worse game instead of a better game when there are literally zero downsides to playing the better game? It doesn't make sense to me. We need to use a starter only stage system, and it needs to have a decent number of stages so actual variety exists. 13 is a very good number, a sweetspot really in which conservative players never have to play on "janky" stages and liberal players have great variety to enjoy. Why not go with it and make 99% of players happy? I know we have a lot of stages threads, but stages are one of the things we have to figure out to actually run tournaments and it seems obvious that we can just do this, make everyone happy, and accept zero downsides. Does anyone have any good reason why not?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I don't know how people can actually refute these.

Isn't this way the most optimal anyway? Why do people still insist on the arbitrary Starter/CP distinction (even to the point to call the starter stages "Neutrals")?

Why people, WHY?

Linq

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfLinq
3DS FC
4639-8962-6197
Why not have a system with more than 13, whereby for a given game in the set, the players strike from a selection of say, 5 stages chosen at random (either for that set, or at the start of the tournament), excluding any stages previously sticken in the set?
For example, using only 3 for demonstration purposes,
Game 1: Final Destination, Orbital Gate Assault, Smashville. Players strike OGA and Smashville, end up playing on FD
Game 2: Town and City, DK64, Skyloft. Players strike DK64 and T&C, end up on Skyloft
Game 3: Wuhu Island, Norfair, Halberd. Players strike Norfair and Halberd, end up on Wuhu
Additionally, if neither player likes any of the stages randomly chosen, they could both agree to a shuffle, and all of the stages would be counted as struck, and a new set of 3/5/whatever stages would be chosen, from which they would proceed as normal.

A system like this would allow for a far greater variety of stages (13 is what, only a quarter of the stages?), and would have the benefits of both the Brawl system and the Melee system without the downsides.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Very well thought out argument, and I sorta agree.

I know that in Melee, if striking wasn't a thing, PS1 would be a starter. Really the only reason its CP is because one had to be shifted for striking and PS was chosen.

I think breaking the Starter/CP Distrinction is definitely something we have to try. Now if the Melee PS situation occurs and we eventually have an even amount of stages, we might have an incredibly minor CP list, but that is still different than the majority of stages being CPs.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
No worries on this being "late" or anything. Great write-up, and I look forward to that stage striking video/thread (whichever you choose) as well.

Why not have a system with more than 13, whereby for a given game in the set, the players strike from a selection of say, 5 stages chosen at random (either for that set, or at the start of the tournament), excluding any stages previously sticken in the set?
Game 1: Final Destination, Orbital Gate Assault, Smashville. Players strike OGA and Smashville, end up playing on FD
Game 2: Town and City, DK64, Skyloft. Players strike DK64 and T&C, end up on Skyloft
Game 3: Wuhu Island, Norfair, Halberd. Players strike Norfair and Halberd, end up on Wuhu
Additionally, if neither player likes any of the stages randomly chosen, they could both agree to a shuffle, and all of the stages would be counted as struck, and a new set of 3/5/whatever stages would be chosen, from which they would proceed as normal.

A system like this would allow for a far greater variety of stages (13 is what, only a quarter of the stages?), and would have the benefits of both the Brawl system and the Melee system without the downsides.
Except limiting individual games to be played on certain stages would end up favoring characters who are good on all the stages available only in those games, not unlike how people argue that the current starter/CP system favors characters who excel on the starter stages. It's technically not a "hard limit" on what characters can be played in any of those games, but people might end up feeling like it is anyway and switch over, which we should want to avoid for the sake of diversity. The thing that FLSS does is not just to have a larger stage list, but to have that large stage list available at all times, mitigating the effect of only a few stages inherently shifting the balance of character matchups too much.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I was actually writing this up ((And making a video for it) too. Glad you did instead. I'll be doing a lot of linking. We need this.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I agree with the OP completely. Also, once custom stages are transferrable, it'd be worth considering adopting some of them (as long as no major glitches are found) and using them in the list. That can allow you to adopt desirable traits of certain stages (take Arena Ferox's statue transformation without statue collisions) without having to deal with the more dubious traits at all.

Similar to this, I tried coming up with a category-based striking system (for instance, flat+plat, mild hazard, scrolling, transforming, etc), where each player strikes out categories (and thus, takes no longer to strike stages than a small list) but ran into issues deciding on the categories and how large they should be and so on. It also runs into similar logistical issues of players simply striking down to what they're comfortable with.

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I'm going to try to get this going in my state. Very informative post and a great read in general (:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Huh, your solution isn't what I was expecting while reading the thread. What I expected was something similar to your 13 stage list, but a mix between what Brawl and early Melee had, where each player gets a certain number of strikes (say 4 or 5) and then the final stage is randomed from the remaining stages. This is assuming Random is truly random in this game, and doesn't just cycle through stages in an order.

So out of 13 stages, Player A strikes 1, 2, 3, and 4. Player B strikes 5, 6, 7, and 8 (obviously they take turns striking like normal). They then pick Random, and the game randomly chooses between stages 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13.

Would you give this idea a try, or is the thought of random stages (that aren't truly random because each player struck out stages they really didn't want to play on) too undesirable for a competitive environment? I'd at least like to hear thoughts on pros/cons. For pros, I would think that it would increase stage diversity even more, i.e. people might leave Smashville there but can't strike all the way down to it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Huh, your solution isn't what I was expecting while reading the thread. What I expected was something similar to your 13 stage list, but a mix between what Brawl and early Melee had, where each player gets a certain number of strikes (say 4 or 5) and then the final stage is randomed from the remaining stages. This is assuming Random is truly random in this game, and doesn't just cycle through stages in an order.

So out of 13 stages, Player A strikes 1, 2, 3, and 4. Player B strikes 5, 6, 7, and 8 (obviously they take turns striking like normal). They then pick Random, and the game randomly chooses between stages 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13.

Would you give this idea a try, or is the thought of random stages (that aren't truly random because each player struck out stages they really didn't want to play on) too undesirable for a competitive environment? I'd at least like to hear thoughts on pros/cons. For pros, I would think that it would increase stage diversity even more, i.e. people might leave Smashville there but can't strike all the way down to it.
Stage variety would likely increase, but that would somewhat detract from the strategic skill involved in striking. It becomes a different (and many would say, lesser) kind of skill when you're strategically altering the random set to favor you the most, instead of striking all the way down to the stage that, assuming perfection, would be the most-even.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team

As a player I wouldn't mind this (and would actually prefer more than 13 legal stages and the same model), but a big part of the idea is making everyone happy. Conservative players want tame stages. Liberal players and stream viewers want stage variety. TOs and stage apathetic players want consistent results and logistically simple solutions. It turns out that there are approximately 13 stages in the game that are tame enough that there would be minimal complaints from the conservative players (a few are so crazy conservative that they hate even stages like Delfino, but they're a tiny minority and even they hate Delfino and friends way less than they hate Norfair and friends). 13 is still a pretty sizable number such that liberal players and stream viewers have a lot to chew on. Ending up with a fully struck out stage keeps the rules simple (easy for TOs to explain), makes the result fully consistent (no johns about the RNG in your tournament results), and still runs really fast (no tournaments running late). Everyone wins, and while as a player I could easily construct a system in which I won more in the same way going down to 5 legal stages would make only super conservative players happy while making everyone else unhappy, this seems to be the simplest road if we want everyone to win which I think would be a good thing.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I like the idea, but I do have a small problem with it, how do we determine what the 13 legal stages are? I feel like there are about 18 legal stages, so what makes some of them more deserving of the 13 spots than others?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I like the idea, but I do have a small problem with it, how do we determine what the 13 legal stages are? I feel like there are about 18 legal stages, so what makes some of them more deserving of the 13 spots than others?
Alternately, what's the next highest number from 13 that allows for a clean striking procedure?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You're going to have a hard time finding anywhere that is actually going to run 18. 13 is much more reasonable if you want to get this system to actually take hold anywhere.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Well, I can live with 13 stages. It's a better idea than seeing Smashville all the time, and actually seeing players learn all the nuances of the stage list.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
You're going to have a hard time finding anywhere that is actually going to run 18. 13 is much more reasonable if you want to get this system to actually take hold anywhere.
The issue isn't really running only 13; it's choosing which 13 to run. Maybe like a larger list of suggested stages, which the TO picks 13 from could work.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
The issue isn't really running only 13; it's choosing which 13 to run. Maybe like a larger list of suggested stages, which the TO picks 13 from could work.
I don't think having an inconsistent list by the tourney is a good idea. It would probably cause confusion amongst players and split people between what they consider good stages or not. Didn't Brawl suffer from a largely inconsistent list?

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I don't think having an inconsistent list by the tourney is a good idea. It would probably cause confusion amongst players and split people between what they consider good stages or not. Didn't Brawl suffer from a largely inconsistent list?
Yeah that is true, but then how do you solve the problem of which 13?

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Compromises and discussion basically, unless there is a Smash 4 backroom doing the work or something. We've been doing those debates on our own as of now.

I find that we should aim for a stage list that is the most open for all the characters. Something that can support them all and leave no one out while not crippling anyone intensely. That is most important.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Well, we could just vote; I'm not actually picky about which 13 (Skyloft and Wuhu are the only two stages I truly care a lot about in particular), but I heavily suspect you'll see 13 of the following 14:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Kongo Jungle 64
Skyloft
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Town and City
Smashville
Duck Hunt
Wuhu Island
Windy Hill Zone

The odd stage out from this 14 might have some intense disagreement; I feel like Pokemon Stadium 2 is the best loser here because its transformations draw more ire than anything else, but I've seen different positions (a lot of people dislike Windy Hill Zone, and if you just really hate stage hazards, you could target Halberd). Honestly it works well no matter which stage is the loser. Put this into stage striking (so game one is played on your 7th favorite stage) and give each player 2 or more stage bans (or equivalent procedure) so you never have to play on a stage you like less than your 3rd least favorite stage. Almost no one will be unhappy about which stages they actually play on.

Many other stages have decent arguments that can be made especially from a stage liberal perspective (Big Battlefield, Mushroom Kingdom U, Mario Circuit, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair, Port Town Aero Dive, Woolly World, Orbital Gate Assault, Onett, Coliseum, Wii Fit Stuidio, Pilotwings), but all of them are substantially mroe controversial than the above 14 and would be generally strange inclusions if multiple of the 14 I listed above were banned. Striking is super fast and easy with 13 and also gets kinda hard if you go up to 17 so in addition to substantially increaseed controversy of including more stages you also make the procedure more cumbersome.

If we can get some solid agreement on the procedure and stage count, we could easily resolve the particular stage list by voting and just running with popularity contest results. I have a high degree of confidence that an educated group of players who well understood all of the plausible stages would arrive at some set of 13 of the 14 I listed above, and I don't think it's a big deal which one of the 14 is the loser though I would get salty if Wuhu were the loser due to that awful youtube video of a hyper obscure glitch so we would have to think carefully about how to do that... once we get past stage count and procedure which is really more important.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Well, we could just vote; I'm not actually picky about which 13 (Skyloft and Wuhu are the only two stages I truly care a lot about in particular), but I heavily suspect you'll see 13 of the following 14:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Kongo Jungle 64
Skyloft
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Town and City
Smashville
Duck Hunt
Wuhu Island
Windy Hill Zone

The odd stage out from this 14 might have some intense disagreement; I feel like Pokemon Stadium 2 is the best loser here because its transformations draw more ire than anything else, but I've seen different positions (a lot of people dislike Windy Hill Zone, and if you just really hate stage hazards, you could target Halberd). Honestly it works well no matter which stage is the loser. Put this into stage striking (so game one is played on your 7th favorite stage) and give each player 2 or more stage bans (or equivalent procedure) so you never have to play on a stage you like less than your 3rd least favorite stage. Almost no one will be unhappy about which stages they actually play on.

Many other stages have decent arguments that can be made especially from a stage liberal perspective (Big Battlefield, Mushroom Kingdom U, Mario Circuit, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair, Port Town Aero Dive, Woolly World, Orbital Gate Assault, Onett, Coliseum, Wii Fit Stuidio, Pilotwings), but all of them are substantially mroe controversial than the above 14 and would be generally strange inclusions if multiple of the 14 I listed above were banned. Striking is super fast and easy with 13 and also gets kinda hard if you go up to 17 so in addition to substantially increaseed controversy of including more stages you also make the procedure more cumbersome.

If we can get some solid agreement on the procedure and stage count, we could easily resolve the particular stage list by voting and just running with popularity contest results. I have a high degree of confidence that an educated group of players who well understood all of the plausible stages would arrive at some set of 13 of the 14 I listed above, and I don't think it's a big deal which one of the 14 is the loser though I would get salty if Wuhu were the loser due to that awful youtube video of a hyper obscure glitch so we would have to think carefully about how to do that... once we get past stage count and procedure which is really more important.
Of the ones you listed above, I'd guess people would vote out Windy Hill Zone. Personally I'd take out Kongo Jungle 64 for the simple reason that I like every other stage better, but I don't know if there's a fair way to decide on which gets the boot (if any of them are objectively worse, and not based on opinions). Also Norfair should definitely be on the list cause its awesome.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'd kill Windy for being huge and having irregular gravity at points, much like Galaxy. The real trick with including so many "controversial" stages is you run into different types of controversy. Is a walkoff, in a game with no chaingrabs, any worse than a hazard like a gigantic lava wave? Is a targeted hazard like the Main Cannon on the Halberd better or worse than an indifferent hazard like the boat in Wuhu Island? And so on.

Of course, it's entirely up to the TO which stages to count as legal. And quite honestly, the more "discussion" you have about it, the louder extreme conservative sides tend to be, and the more stages get cut from the list. It'd be easier in all regards to just say "This is our stage list for the upcoming tournament. We will collect feedback after the event, but this list is firm for now," than to ask a large and varied audience what stages they like and don't like, and what constitutes a fair hazard (if there even is such thing in a given person's opinion).

shapular

Smash Ace
-It's hard to keep track of that many stages. This is definitely objectively false. The random stage switch can be used as an in-game solution to keep track of the stages directly. Even better, the omega forms have their own independent tracking of what's allowed for random. Here's what you do. Before the tournament, set all of the legal stages to both the normal stages and the omega stages. Strike from the normal stages, removing stages from the list as struck. Before the next set, the new players will look at the omega random stage select and copy whichever stages are on over to the normal stages before striking from the normal stages. Even if every player has the memory of a gnat and can't keep track of what's legal or what has already been struck, the game keeps track of all of it easily.
This is a great idea. That was my only concern with doing full list stage striking and this solution has me fully on board. I'm planning on starting a weekly series in my town, so I'll try this out and let you know how it goes. As for the actual stages, I'd probably lean toward PS2 over Windy Hill Zone, but I haven't played either enough to decide for sure.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This is actually a pretty great idea. I was just thinking to myself that we could just determine which stage is the most even for the matchup, but that'd obviously lead to arguments and such. But how does round two/counterpicking work?

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
I can't expand on this much since you word everything so eloquently and completely, but I also hate it when people call starter stages "Neutral."

Take Lylat Cruise for example. That's a starting stage under a lot of rulesets but to call it neutral is a huge stretch. The way the stage tilts naturally puts characters with horizontal projectiles (Like Mega Man) at a disadvantage, since they can get stuck in the stage. Characters like Captain Falcon, who don't have projectiles, don't share that same disadvantage.

This could also be considered the case for Final Destination, another "Neutral" stage. The design of the stage greatly favors characters who space from the ground and shorthopping. Character's whose primary moves are in the air have more trouble here than, say, battlefield, which forces both players to jump more.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
This is actually a pretty great idea. I was just thinking to myself that we could just determine which stage is the most even for the matchup, but that'd obviously lead to arguments and such. But how does round two/counterpicking work?
Round 2+ would work the same as always, winner strikes one stage (or two, or more, depending on total # of stages I guess) and the loser has their pick of the rest.

Methacrylate

Smash Apprentice

Battlefield
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Kongo Jungle 64
Skyloft
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Town and City
Smashville
Duck Hunt
Wuhu Island
Windy Hill Zone
What do we know about the Omega stages? Are the size of all the omegas equal to that of Final Destination? Are the blast zones of all the omegas equal to that of Final Destination? I think that if these two things hold true, which I believe they are, then instead of putting Final Destination in the list, it should be Random Omega Stage. I see no reason to limit the playing of a flat stage to only Final Destination, especially the blast zones and stage sizes are all the same. This would add a little variety into the playing of a flat stage.

Some stages will always be struck anyway/you'll end up on Smashville anyway. This is so incredibly not true. When I saw it in action, I saw almost every stage come up; out of 13 legal stages, I believe I saw 10 be used in game one at least once at a single event. When given choices in practice, players really do use them.
As this is still early days for smash 4, it is quite possible that the variety you experienced for game one comes from an undeveloped metagame which means as the game develops we might see a preference arise. It might be better to add a small random factor to game one, say making 14 stages legal and striking until only two stages remain for the random draw. Even then a with time we might see two stages are preferred for game one. In some ways the striking system shows which stages are the most even for the majority of the match-ups which is probably why Smashville was chosen so frequently in Brawl. Game one stage variety is difficult to achieve with a striking system only.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
As this is still early days for smash 4, it is quite possible that the variety you experienced for game one comes from an undeveloped metagame which means as the game develops we might see a preference arise. It might be better to add a small random factor to game one, say making 14 stages legal and striking until only two stages remain for the random draw. Even then a with time we might see two stages are preferred for game one. In some ways the striking system shows which stages are the most even for the majority of the match-ups which is probably why Smashville was chosen so frequently in Brawl. Game one stage variety is difficult to achieve with a striking system only.
I don't think stages have ever been added back in a competitive list. It always goes down from what we've seen.

Raijinken

Smash Master
What do we know about the Omega stages? Are the size of all the omegas equal to that of Final Destination? Are the blast zones of all the omegas equal to that of Final Destination? I think that if these two things hold true, which I believe they are, then instead of putting Final Destination in the list, it should be Random Omega Stage. I see no reason to limit the playing of a flat stage to only Final Destination, especially the blast zones and stage sizes are all the same. This would add a little variety into the playing of a flat stage.

The size and blast zones are equivalent, however, they have some slightly different properties. Listed below:
  • Ledges vary (compare FD, Eldin, Wuhu, Gaur, and Lylat, for instance)
  • Grass (Makes slight differences against characters like CFalc and Fox)
  • Under-Stage structure (ties in to ledges, can make certain recoveries or maneuvers easier).
I know a few tournaments have treated all Omega Stages as counter-picks (for instance, Rosalina has a harder time snapping the edge in Lylat). Personally, I'd say just leave them out of round 1, and allow them on subsequent rounds (this would make them the only actual counter-pick stages). Whether they get categorized and can be banned individually, or just count under FD's stricken status or whatever, would be a matter of some discussion. I'd say just strike 'em all if FD gets stricken, to keep it simple.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Kick players in the ass, make them playtest tournament level play on every prospective stage, and get a consensus going. If they want to form a meta these things need real results and data to back.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Kick players in the ***, make them playtest tournament level play on every prospective stage, and get a consensus going. If they want to form a meta these things need real results and data to back.
But you still might end up with more than 13 good stages. Another possible solution is to find all possibly good stages, and make an official active stage list from that pool, and have an inactive stage list to go along with it. Let the meta develop, and if any balance issues occur because of stages, then, after enough time to make a good decision, stages could be swapped from the active and inactive list to help balance the game out.

Raijinken

Smash Master
But you still might end up with more than 13 good stages. Another possible solution is to find all possibly good stages, and make an official active stage list from that pool, and have an inactive stage list to go along with it. Let the meta develop, and if any balance issues occur because of stages, then, after enough time to make a good decision, stages could be swapped from the active and inactive list to help balance the game out.
Alternately, simply change the used stages every few events to keep things somewhat fresh. There's no valid reason not to do that if the stages in question are all considered fair, and logistics are the only concern.

If you like pizza and hamburgers, but aren't hungry enough for both, you don't just decide that burgers suck. You eat 'em next time.

B!squick

Smash Master
In the end, I assume some sort of committee of high profile TOs or some such will separate the "good" stages from the "bad". However, I sincerely hope this idea or some variation of it becomes the norm.

It's very possible you might end up with Smashville for life anyway though. I don't know if there's enough liberal minded/non-lazy players who'll just decide to ban the stage that pops up the most frequently. Even players who enjoy variety may very well err on the side whatever stage they have the most experience on.

I like the idea of custom stages being a thing though. I think even in Brawl some European tournaments used those exclusively.

Last edited:

Linkshot

Smash Hero
This is something I'll definitely push next time I get in contact with our TOs. As for the 14th odd one out, I would also err on the side of Pokemon Stadium 2 (though, is gravity increased in this game enough to make wind less of a time waste?) The Windy Hill Zone argument I saw ("gravity is inconsistent!") is scrubby; it is consistent and learnable. Learn it. PS2's Wind might be too strong to actually work with, and players will just end up lazily floating for 20 seconds, which is no fun.

The reason we can't "have hamburgers another day" is because this is an eating competition and we need to see if people should practice hamburgers with all the trimmings or pizza with all the trimmings, since the final event can only pick one or the other.

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
I think that this is a great idea, ending the counter pick system can add a lot of variety to the game and not limit ourselves to the 5 same stages (that like 4 are only HD remakes from Brawl). A think that 13 is a solid number and the people will end up learning the stage list anyway, the same for the stages and in the end all will come up naturally.

One thing that I want to address is the "Neutral" controversy, for example Lylat Cruise, a lot say that this stage is not a true neutral because the way it tilts through the match and the awkward ledges that it have, but the stage have 3 descents platforms, it have good blast zones and a perfect size. If you are talking about how projectile characters have disadvantage in some parts of the match is really a weak argument because the stage only tilts for a short time and after that it tilts the other way and this gives advantage to projectile users, besides the amount of time it tilts is so short that I don't think it really matters in the long run and only in some situations. I was Lucario main in Brawl and I liked a lot Lylat because the platforms and I could combo really well and the platforms didn't bother me a lot if I watched them and I didn't throw the Aura Sphere without thinking.

IMO I think that the 2 stages that have the possibility to be banned are Windy Hill Zone or Pokemon Stadium 2. Windy Hill because the layout it's very odd and I think that it affects gravity and the projectiles in a strange way. PS2 because the Electric and the Wind transformation make difficult to fight.

Raijinken

Smash Master
This is something I'll definitely push next time I get in contact with our TOs. As for the 14th odd one out, I would also err on the side of Pokemon Stadium 2 (though, is gravity increased in this game enough to make wind less of a time waste?) The Windy Hill Zone argument I saw ("gravity is inconsistent!") is scrubby; it is consistent and learnable. Learn it. PS2's Wind might be too strong to actually work with, and players will just end up lazily floating for 20 seconds, which is no fun.

The reason we can't "have hamburgers another day" is because this is an eating competition and we need to see if people should practice hamburgers with all the trimmings or pizza with all the trimmings, since the final event can only pick one or the other.
For Windy Hill, t's not that the gravity is inconsistent, it's that it affects some projectiles in odd ways, just like it does on Mario Galaxy. It's also a very large stage (I may be wrong, but I'm inclined to say it's larger than all of the other suggested stages above).

I think that this is a great idea, ending the counter pick system can add a lot of variety to the game and not limit ourselves to the 5 same stages (that like 4 are only HD remakes from Brawl). A think that 13 is a solid number and the people will end up learning the stage list anyway, the same for the stages and in the end all will come up naturally.

One thing that I want to address is the "Neutral" controversy, for example Lylat Cruise, a lot say that this stage is not a true neutral because the way it tilts through the match and the awkward ledges that it have, but the stage have 3 descents platforms, it have good blast zones and a perfect size. If you are talking about how projectile characters have disadvantage in some parts of the match is really a weak argument because the stage only tilts for a short time and after that it tilts the other way and this gives advantage to projectile users, besides the amount of time it tilts is so short that I don't think it really matters in the long run and only in some situations. I was Lucario main in Brawl and I liked a lot Lylat because the platforms and I could combo really well and the platforms didn't bother me a lot if I watched them and I didn't throw the Aura Sphere without thinking.
The tilting works both ways. If you have a horizontal non-gravity-affected projectile (the majority of projectiles aren't gravity affected, Mario's fireballs, Peach's Vegetables, Game&Watch's Chef, and cast-limited Arcfire for Robin are exceptions rather than the rule), then the tilt in the opposite direction can be just as problematic, as you're now shooting over the enemy's head. I'd still call it fair over-all, but it can't really be called "neutral" to projectile users.

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not sure if I agree with this, I prefer the current way things are done.

My thoughts exactly regarding your font colour choice.

edit: I just realized Smashboards Dark might not be the default theme so my criticism is highly ironic if people are using the white background theme. whoops

Last edited:

S2

Smash Lord
I love the idea of having a single stage list. That said, I agree with nearly everything in the in the original post, but think we should look twice at the 13 stage limit.

The idea of just having legal stages instead of starters and counterpicks is great. As stated, the issue with certain "neutral" or starter stages is that they do favor certain characters still. As someone who played Melee since it came out, it seems like the intent of earlier Melee tournament rules has kind of been lost. The "neutral" stages like FD and BF grew into not-so-neutral stages while the counterpicks got pushed away more and more because players who mained characters that excel on "neutrals" didn't want to have to bother with them. Having a single stage list kind of fixes this since players are now expected to know stage matchup knowledge for every legal stage. Melee is a bit of an extreme example because between 07 and now players have kind of gone from mastering what was possible in the engine to knowing extremely small intricacies that have evolved around the top tier characters.

But as for stage picks, it seems like the emphasis on stage knowledge keeps going down in favor of just playing on FD and Battlefield variants. Not that there is anything wrong with those stages, but preference for them shouldn't be used to exclude other stages with abnormal elements or light hazards. Stage variety is a good thing and learning your stages should be an important aspect of the game in the same way you learn what to expect in character matchups.

My only small concern with the 13 stage thing is only in setting a number based on striking and not on stage viability. At this point in the game's lifecycle, every stage that would have been identified as a "counterpick" before should stay legal until there's some actual tournament data to show it's broken. In every smash game there seems to be a subset of players spanning from scrubs all the way to tournament pros that only want to play FD and Battlefield variants (or as the joke goes, FD Fox only), not being comfortable on other stages isn't a valid reason to exclude them. We ban stages that are outright broken for tournament play, but losing on counterpicks and blaming the stage because you lack stage matchup knowledge falls squarely under "no johns". As for the 13 stage thing, I don't think it's worth excluding 1 or 2 valid counterpicks if it goes over 13. I just feel like we should evolve the striking around whatever number of stages the game ends up having be usable for tournaments instead of trying to set a number ahead of time.

But yeah, having a single stage list is a great proposal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom