• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Spiking... Learn it.

pyrnight

Smash Journeyman
When a character is below the edge on certain stages such as Final Desination, even at low percents you can up+b to bounce them off the side of the stage, which spikes. Its very useful, it can gimp, and at higher percents is ridiculously hard to tech.

Learn to use it well and your marth will be better.

pyrnight

Smash Journeyman
Up+b has invincibility frames, and you shouldnt' miss the edge, and you get invincibility frames when you grab the edge, theres really no down side.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Invincability is spelled with a V, not an F. And, it's not really worth using, unless both of you are trying to recover. Fair gimping is alot safer IMO.

pyrnight

Smash Journeyman
Invincability is spelled with a V, not an F. And, it's not really worth using, unless both of you are trying to recover. Fair gimping is alot safer IMO.
Yeh sorry that was a typo, but its actually spelt invincibility. You failed at spelling Nazism. Fair gimping doesn't work on people who are below the stage and coming up vertically. Of course fair is better in many situations, but in many, fair is not the best option. Many times its better to up+b or bair them into the side of the stage.

Sure there's a downside. If they're on the ball, they'll just tech the hit.
Yeh, then what? You're on the edge with invincibility frames? They teched it... Oh noes?

Plus, tech timing is harder in brawl, and also VERY VERY hard off the side of the stage getting hit by Up+b.. You have like 15 frames to tech before you're already bouncing away to your death.

∫unk

Smash Master
Yeh sorry that was a typo, but its actually spelt invincibility. You failed at spelling Nazism. Fair gimping doesn't work on people who are below the stage and coming up vertically. Of course fair is better in many situations, but in many, fair is not the best option. Many times its better to up+b or bair them into the side of the stage.

Yeh, then what? You're on the edge with invincibility frames? They teched it... Oh noes?

Plus, tech timing is harder in brawl, and also VERY VERY hard off the side of the stage getting hit by Up+b.. You have like 15 frames to tech before you're already bouncing away to your death.
Most of my opponents learned to not go low because Marth is much better edgeguarding down there. How do you force them to go low?

pyrnight

Smash Journeyman
Well, see once you've got them not going low, you can more easily predict how they are going to approach the stage, where they will be open for a fair. By exploiting the low recovery, you force them to eliminate one of their possibilities, giving you greater control.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
I use this one whenever I get the chance. It's pretty easy to get them underneath the stage, really. If you're ledge hogging, that is. Example, me vs my bro's Olimar:

I'm ledge hogging, and he comes in to recover. I jump off, *since he's a bit lower than me, to try and reach the stage* then hit him with a f-air, to put him closer to the stage. Then, with a mid-air jump, I use the up+b, then they're bounced off the stage to their doom.

Not 100% reliable as a whole, but still useful to know if you're in that situation.

Nica K.O

Smash Cadet
this works pretty well against ike players who get caught trying to get back vertically....what i do i go for a fair to knock them away so they wont use there f-b to recover..then as they come back just drop down behind them and up B...even if it doesnt kill them...youll still get invincibility frames from the edgehog

Top Bottom