• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Striking

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
I posted this here seeing as the search function is disabled. -.-

Hey guys. I'm going to my first tournament here tomorrow at around noon, but I still have not found a good source for learning the stage striking procedure. I don't want to be nervous because I don't know how to select a stage at a tourney.

If you could post a link explaining how to stage strike well, please do so. Or if you could just explain it with words, that would be good. Thank you for your time! :)

By the way, this is referring to a Brawl tourney, but I thought I'd post it under Brawl and Melee because I don't know if it's exactly the same for both games or not.

-Ran

Smash Master
The goal of Stage striking is to start the match on a map that you feel that isn't one that will hold your character back, or one that would give your opponent a benefit. For example...

You're Snake, and you're playing against a Falco. The starter stages are: Battle Field, Yoshi's Island, Final Destination, Smashville, and Pokemon Stadium 1. Due to losing the coin flip, you're striking first. Since you know that Falco has a great long distance game with his lasers, you don't want to play him on Final Destination. Now, the Falco player doesn't want to have too many breaks in the action, nor does he want to deal with the bad lip on PS1, so he's going to strike Pokemon Stadium 1.

So that leaves you with Yoshi's Island, Smashville, and Battlefield. You decide that you don't want to give Falco a means to chase you further off the stage, nor do you like the linear component of Smashville, so you strike that. This leaves only two stages left, both which are to your advantage as a Snake player vs a Falco. On Battlefield, your grenades would have plenty of space to remain on the field, and on Yoshi's due to middle platform, and the odd curves on the level, Falco will have a harder time forcing you to approach. Now, with his choices in front of you, your opponent decides to strike Yoshi's Island, since he realizes that you can tech his spike on the sides of the level, which can ruin any chance of getting a quick kill out of a chain grab.

With all of that done, the match begins on Battlefield.

zwataketa

Smash Rookie
I have a question, and I know this thread is old, but I don't seem to have the proper privleges to post in that discussion thread linked. I didn't want to make another new thread when one already existed, and I only have a small question.

While I get how stage striking works, I don't know if a strike is the same as a ban. As in, say Final Destination and smashville are banned, so the first stage for the match is battlefield. Does that mean final destination and smashville are permanently banned for the rest of the match or what?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I have a question, and I know this thread is old, but I don't seem to have the proper privleges to post in that discussion thread linked. I didn't want to make another new thread when one already existed, and I only have a small question.

While I get how stage striking works, I don't know if a strike is the same as a ban. As in, say Final Destination and smashville are banned, so the first stage for the match is battlefield. Does that mean final destination and smashville are permanently banned for the rest of the match or what?
No, striking =/= bans. It only counts for that one game, and all stages except for the stage they or you choose to ban are available for the next game.

Top Bottom