• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages Reboot

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
OK! Let's assume Sakurais is going to get rid of all the previous stages and build new ones, some of which might inherit characteristics from the old ones.
How would you redo them?
I'll make you a sample:
Kirby series: Twin Woods stages. This will be the windy stages. It has two faced trees on the left and right side of the stages, blowing winds to the left, to the right or to the middle, and occasionally making apples fall. Apples hurt you if they hit you on the head, but can also be piked up and thrown at enemies.

P.S. And roots protude from the ground, wrapping the characters like tentacles and making them an easy target for their opponents.
I know the roots originally just hurted, but the tentacling way IMHO is more appealing in a fighting game.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Skeptical towards this one. If the stages got too big and perhaps even gimmicky due mixing up all those elements from last stages, I'd be more missing the simpler ones. Besides New Pork City failed trying to be "Temple".

joY

Pot splitter
I generally feel like the less stage hazards the better, so any stage reboots that I'd hope for would be minimalist. You could still have a unique, character specific stage under these conditions a la Dreamland, Hyrule 64 and so on.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Or they could just add a on/off options for all the hazards eccept scrolling. Maybe there could be even an option for the scrolling: normal/slow.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
*SPOILER FOR YOSHIS ISLAND FINAL BOSS*
i was thinkin the arena in which you fight giant baby bowser in. he would be behind the stage shooting fireballs which destroy certain blocks. It would be epic

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'd have to think a Pokemon Stadium reboot is a given...
If this is true, that's a shame, because IMO the first one is still the best.

Edit: IMO, "rebooting" the stage roster would be a bad idea. I think SSB4 should bring back the best stages from Brawl, Melee, and 64, instead of getting rid of them.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
With the stages, I'd like them to be more faithful in their adaptation for Smash. I want to feel like I'm actually at the location I'm at. A lot of Brawl stages like Norfair, New Pork City, Distant Planet, and Frigate Orpheon felt like they were in name only. Especially with Norfair and FO, I didn't feel like I had been there before. On the other hand, some of the other stages in the series like Rainbow Ride, Sector Z, Delfino, and Onett felt like I had been there before (though I played Earthbound later on).

The next game's stages need to be much more faithful to their original locations and try to make the platforms feel organic to the stage as well (something NPC failed so badly on). I feel like a good example of this could be Phendrana Drifts as it was clearly designed with platforming elements in mind.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
With the stages, I'd like them to be more faithful in their adaptation for Smash. I want to feel like I'm actually at the location I'm at. A lot of Brawl stages like Norfair, New Pork City, Distant Planet, and Frigate Orpheon felt like they were in name only. Especially with Norfair and FO, I didn't feel like I had been there before. On the other hand, some of the other stages in the series like Rainbow Ride, Sector Z, Delfino, and Onett felt like I had been there before (though I played Earthbound later on).

The next game's stages need to be much more faithful to their original locations and try to make the platforms feel organic to the stage as well (something NPC failed so badly on). I feel like a good example of this could be Phendrana Drifts as it was clearly designed with platforming elements in mind.
To be fair, though, Norfair was better at doing what you said than Brinstar was IMO. Though I agree with you 100% on Distant Planet, that s*** had nothing to do with Pikmin. And that Bulborb was friggin' HUGE.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, because I don't remember those bio billers in any fo the Metroid games in Brinstar, or the lava that Sakurai has a fetish for. Still, Norfair still felt awfully clean. I would've still wanted it based on Lower Norfair as that's the one with the awesome music.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
I'd have to think a Pokemon Stadium reboot is a given...
I agree to be honest I love pokemon stadium but I really just wish it wouldn't change. Final destination doesn't have enough platforms battlefield has to many pokemon stadium is just right if only it wouldn't change.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I agree to be honest I love pokemon stadium but I really just wish it wouldn't change. Final destination doesn't have enough platforms battlefield has to many pokemon stadium is just right if only it wouldn't change.
Stage hazard switch would solve this. Or maybe Midair Stadium could become a recurring stage.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
If this is true, that's a shame, because IMO the first one is still the best.

Edit: IMO, "rebooting" the stage roster would be a bad idea. I think SSB4 should bring back the best stages from Brawl, Melee, and 64, instead of getting rid of them.
Or take the best elements of them (vertical and orrizontal scrolling, shape shifting, destructable platforms and walls, hazards attacking you periodically...) and reassemble them in a better way.
Sakurai specifically said "No more of the same" and I think stages have a big part in this.
On another side, who of you guys is already fantasizing about a Tetris stage?

Shirekeldeo7

Smash Cadet
A second Mushroomy kingdom stage that includes the forest, castle and ice and haunted house levels

Posted from Smashboards.com App for Android

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
For Green Hill if Sonic is in it. Green Hill should be based off its Sonic Generations look.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
If they're going to do this, they should name it "Elite Four Stadium" rather than "Pokemon Stadium 3" and add things more Elite Four themes. Pokemon Stadium 2 just seemed like a lazy name to me.
I quote that!
Also, for the very nostalgic people, how about versus-mode-only extra stage made by glueing together past edition's stages? I just noticed a lot of stage where setted on the roof of a building. Well, just pictures all these buildings side by side (where their stage would normally end) like in a Nintendo city? Or, less extreme, Peach's Castle next by Hyrule's Castle, like red annd Green, and Eagleland: Fourside's skyscraper next to Saffron City's skyscraper, with the sun and the moon alternating.
And those are just two samples.

FishSlappinDance

Smash Cadet
I'd love for Spear Pillar to get a reboot to include Giratina instead of Cresselia but since so many people dislike the stage as it is, I won't mind letting it go...

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I hope they keep the best stages from each game, I just can't let some of them go. I also agree on pokemon stadium 1 being the better one. In my opinion, they should have a good variety of stages. A lot of flat, balanced ones with little or no stage hazards, for competitive settings. And some big ones, scrolling ones, and hazards for a party setting. But they should defenatly keep the good ones. I love some of those stages. *cough* temple corneria *cough*

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd like Pokemon Colosseum. It would come in 17 types. Each type would be based on their corresponding gym from the games.

Top Bottom