• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages that are "banned" when you play Brawl

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
For me usually when I play Brawl these are the stages I play as most

"Neutral (played often"
Battlefield
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Mushroomy Kingdom
Bridge of Eldin
Pirate Ship (Favorite stage)
Lylat Cruise
Distant Planet (second favorite stage)
PictoChat
Yoshi's Island
Halberd (third favorite stage)
Castle Siege
Smashville
The Summit
Hanenbow
Big Blue
Green Greens

"Counterpick (played sometimes)"
Port Town Aero Dive
Green Hill Zone
Shadow Moses Island
Pokemon Stadium 2
Temple
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
75m
Yoshi's Island - Melee
Onett
Pokemon Stadium

"Banned (never play)"
WarioWare
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit
Flat Zone 2
Spear Pillar
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Jungle Japes
Corneria

If only the real legality list would be like this...:psycho: so what stages are "neutral", "counterpick" and "banned" when you play Brawl?

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I like Warioware (kind of), and I really like Frigate Orpheon!

But stages that are banned for me are:
Distant Planet
Mushroomy Kingdom
DK scrolling level
Norfair
Mario Bros.
New Pork City

A few more but those are the ones I really hate.

dbrawler209

Smash Rookie
Neutral:
BattleField
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Pirate Ship
Pictochat
Bridge of Eldin
New Pork City
Spear Pillar

Counterpick:
Delfino Plaza
Yoshi's Island
Green Hill Zone
Port Town
Mario Circuit
Shadow Moses Island
Norfair
Pokemon Stadium 2
Firgate Orpheon
Smashville
Castle Seige
Halberd

Banned:
Warioware
Mushroomy Kingdom
The Summit
Flatzone 2
Mario Bros.
75 m
Rumble Falls
Hanenbow

Tyeforce

Smash Apprentice
I always select RANDOM. What's the fun in banning stages? As much as I hate Mario Bros. and Rumble Falls, it's still fun to play on them sometimes. I especially like Spear Pillar when Palkia is there. Reversed/upside down control and slow motion is awesome. And WarioWare, Inc. is cool, too. You get to play Brawl AND WarioWare at the SAME time!

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
The only level I don't like is Rumble Falls...

Though we only break out my awesome custom levels on special occasions. Most people can't handle the glory that is LadderWorld: A world where ladders rule.

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
I always select RANDOM. What's the fun in banning stages? As much as I hate Mario Bros. and Rumble Falls, it's still fun to play on them sometimes. I especially like Spear Pillar when Palkia is there. Reversed/upside down control and slow motion is awesome. And WarioWare, Inc. is cool, too. You get to play Brawl AND WarioWare at the SAME time!
Simple to answer. Some people like fighting players instead of fighting the stage.

Stages with avoidable hazards aren't so bad, but overpowered ones that can easily kill you are ridiculous. Like the spike on Rumble Falls that instant KOs, I mean what the hell? The cars on Port Town Aero Dive aren't much better. Then there's the fish on The Summit or the water in Distant Planet (which doesn't directly kill you but can make it impossible to recover). And don't even get me started on 75m.

It's good for a laugh sometimes but it gets old pretty quick IMO. From the above, you can probably figure out which stages I have disabled. But I leave most of them on.

Mama

Smash Ace
Stages I don't really play are
Norfair - For obvious reasons.
Pictochat - its not the greatest stage in the world
FlatZone - Just don't like it and the *******s with the chairs are annoying
Mario Bros - Hate the enemies.

Stages played for fun
Mushroomy Kingdom - only played in FFAs sometimes because I love the music.
75m - same as Mushroomy Kingdom
Temple - Same as 75m
Rainbow Cruise - its fun.

Stages I do play on a lot that should or probably will be banned from tournaments are
Pirate Ship - great music but the canon balls are very lame
Spear Pillar - Cressalia is terribly annoying with the whole boomerang business but all Dialga really does is slow down time. Palkia flips things around. At first I hated it. But in not serious 1 on 1 matches its actually pretty fun/funny. If you could make to where you only played with Dialga I could see that stage working in tournaments. Since you can't, oh well.

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
It depends on whether you're there to just **** around or you are focusing on winning. Hazard stages completely randomize the game and so that gets real annoying to players who are focused on winning and a fair game. As for me, most of the stages i've banned, i've banned because A) They are too big or dont focus in on the character enough (like new pork and the Bridge of eldin, both piss me off to no end because of the camera) B) they have hazards or motions that make the player stop fighting (like ****ing norfair or the koopa in Mario Bros) or C) they randomize the game too much.

- On a side note watching everyone stop to strike a pose in warioware and walking up to them to make an easy KO is hilarious.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I play on all* stages fairly often, and on one of my 12 custom stages as well.

*Well, almost all
I don't play on

Hanenbow
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Wario Ware
Mushroomy Kingdom
Spear Pillar
Norfair
Jungle Japes
Rumble Falls
I think that's it
pretty much any stages I deem unfair

I just gotta ask, who gets killed by the water in Distant Planet? It adequately tells you when it's going to come, and it's not that hard to escape the flow if you are thrust onto the platform.

Here's the stages I don't play on... none, actually.

Here's the stages I don't usually play on, however.

Spear Pillar
Mario Bros.
Rumble Falls
Jungle Japes

And that's pretty much it.

Eaode

Smash Champion
I do not get why people don't like Distant planet. The Water NEVER kills people, if it kills you you're doing something wrong. If I'm on the ledge with the water I just ledgehop and go onto the stage or to the far right edge. >_<

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
wario ware isn't unfair at all, except what gift wario gives you. If you get a super mushroom and your opponent is invinible, then your just a BIG F*CKING TARGET. None of the minigames are unfair, and not doing them can actually be to your advantage(ie: the "don't move" mini-game comes up, and you get a free charge and spike because your opponent decided to stand still while your sword starts to spew fire.

Tyeforce

Smash Apprentice
Simple to answer. Some people like fighting players instead of fighting the stage.

Stages with avoidable hazards aren't so bad, but overpowered ones that can easily kill you are ridiculous. Like the spike on Rumble Falls that instant KOs, I mean what the hell? The cars on Port Town Aero Dive aren't much better. Then there's the fish on The Summit or the water in Distant Planet (which doesn't directly kill you but can make it impossible to recover). And don't even get me started on 75m.

It's good for a laugh sometimes but it gets old pretty quick IMO. From the above, you can probably figure out which stages I have disabled. But I leave most of them on.
It's called AVOIDING it. And it's not you vs. the stage, it's you vs. your opponent with a few hazards thrown in that you BOTH have to deal with. Why do people complain so much about hazards?

Says the one who has "Real men use items!" as his signature.
...Your point?

DQP

Smash Ace
i set up my game so that some stages won't play when i hit random. my banned stages are:
spear pillar
mario bros.
75m
norfair
rumble falls
warioware
mushroomy kingdom
new pork city
green hill zone
mario circuit
pokemon stadium 2
pictochat
flat zone 2
distant planet
bridge of eldin
temple
rainbow ride
big blue
jungle japes
brinstar
yoshi's island (melee)

everything else is legal for me

nightwing2024

Smash Cadet
I don't understand why anyone would ban stages. Sure, some are annoying, but if you're not skilled enough to avoid hazards, then you get KO'd. Simple as that. It evens up skill levels, creates crazy fun, and forces one to be far more aware of surroundings.

Kalmetam

Smash Journeyman
Im ok with Distant Planet.. Here are my Banned:

Banned:
Hanenbow
Rumble Falls
75m
Big Blue
Norfair
Mario Bros
New Pork City

I've now banned New Pork City outside of Mega mode, as it is a terrible stage.

Just because Sakurai gave us a new Mother stage doesn't mean he did a good job. I'd rather have not had any new Mother stage at all. At least it wouldn't look like Sakurai was trying to make people hate everything Mother-related.

ANoobsOpinion

Smash Rookie
The reason why people ban certain stages is because some stages adds a random factor to competitive play. If you're in a tournament with a lot of money on the line, you don't want to lose that money because of some random element.

However, when playing for fun (especially online). I like to play on almost any stage, except Mario Bros.
When playing for fun all stages are allowed, I like to select the more uncommon ones for online play.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
bridge: walk-off edges, king bublin
-counterpick, the level IS NOT random, and walk off edges make it counterpick, because it favors strong characters.
planet: bulborb, waterfall
Once again, neither are random, and can be used to your advantage if you think it out. neutral.
mario circuit: karts, walk-off edges, again
karts are predictable, and wreckable. The extremly low width of the level and walk off edges are more than likely turning it to counterpick.

Kinsei_Kensei

Smash Apprentice
I don't ban any stages but I do have certain pet pieves about a few stages...

1.) New Pork City - I make certain "Snowman" the only song that will ever play when I play this stage. I just can't stand it without that song. I've got no clue why but with any other song playing, I suck on that stage.

2.) Spear Pillar - I hate playing it when Palkia shows up. Only because I tend to die when he turns the stage upside down. Whith friends, I'll still play while Palkia is there but when alone...

3.) Green Hill Zone - I hate playing it when none Sonic game music plays. You know, songs that have someone singing in the background. I'm not opposed to it but still, those songs annoy me while I brawling.

4.) Hanenbow - I'll only play this stage when fighting against friends. Though I suck on Hanebow, they suck worse.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Kinsei_Kensai: What about the Classic Sonic themes in Green Hill Zone?
Anyway, My unused are only 2 stages. Hanenbow (**** that water) and Jungle Japes (**** that water!!!)

Anyother ones are fine IMO

Hose A

Smash Cadet
I like balanced stages. I hate Distant Planet just because I don't like it. New Pork City is way to big. I'll sometimes play Spear Pillar if I want some entertainment. Rumble Falls is dumb. I like Halberd a lot, even with the random ship attacks. Wario Ware is entertaining just for screwing around.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I don't believe in banning stages when I am just playing casually with friends.

If anything though, Flat Zone 2 is the least played.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
hey guys, sorry for the nub question but how do you unlock the option to turn off stages on random?
ty in advance.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm not sure myself Black Waltz.

I know I got additional rules by playing a lot of Brawls (IDK the exact number)
But Random Stage selection wasn't there. But then after a while more brawls. And it was there O_O

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I can not stand Rumble Falls. I picked random once because I was in a rush and the opponent was already on the practice stage and I ended up getting that stage! Gosh I hate that stupid stage.

75m isn't the best either. It's just weird and the flames and other obstacles really get in the way for a good match.

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice
hey guys, sorry for the nub question but how do you unlock the option to turn off stages on random?
ty in advance.
unlock all the levels including the melee ones i believe. and people banning stages because of hazards just need to take time to learn how to avoid them....warioware sucks *** though hate the reward bull****

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
The current random at my house:

final destination
battlefield
smashville
lylat cruise
both pokemon stadiums
pictochat
distant planet
delfino
halberd

This isn't what I'd use for a tournament random, see my post in stage legality topic for that.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
We don't really ban any stages at my house. I just set stage selection on turns, and when it's someone's turn to pick they can choose whatever stage they want. We usually try to pick fair stages anyway, but I like to pick stages like 75m and Spear Pillar every now and then.

Rapid_Assassin
The current random at my house:

final destination
battlefield
smashville
lylat cruise
both pokemon stadiums
pictochat
distant planet
delfino
halberd

This isn't what I'd use for a tournament random, see my post in stage legality topic for that.
I don't agree with Pokemon Stadium 2. I think it should be banned from tournaments. I think the neutral stages will be Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Delfino Plaza, Lylat Cruise, and the old Pokemon Stadium.

DTR

Smash Journeyman
I think the neutral stages are:

Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)

Delfino has a small part where DDD can gimp people with his chain throw, so I was forced to take it off... Maybe I had one more... I can't remember... ><

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think the neutral stages are:

Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)

Delfino has a small part where DDD can gimp people with his chain throw, so I was forced to take it off... Maybe I had one more... I can't remember... ><
What about Lylat Cruise?

Top Bottom