• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stamina Mode?

Archonn

Smash Rookie
So i was thinking... the main problem people seem to point when it comes to SSB64 when it comes to competitive gameplay is the 0-Death combos (actually its kirby's cheapness, but people also tend to say SSB64 has one of the most balanced rosters ever, so i'm not counting that right now). Wouldn't some sort of stamina mode fix that? I have no idea how it works on Melee or Brawl, but i think the basic idea here would be creating some gameshark codes that fixes the characters' percentages at a determined number, preferentially a high number so to avoid juggling infinites, but not so high it destroys combo possibilities.

Since the percentage displayed in-game and actual damage are separate things (apparently there's a "low % code" that keeps % at zero but the distance you fly rises as you take damage nonetheless), so i guess finding the code for stamina mode shouldn't be so hard. The hard part would be finding the right number to use, since, you know, too low and characters like DK will have one hell of a disadvantage, too high and the game becomes a edge-guard match.

Truth is, we, fans, know that SSB64 doesn't really need a stamina mode, but it sure would be a fun variation to try every once in a while. What do you think about it?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
No.
The thing that completely screws this plan is...what % do you set it at? 0% like they do in Melee? That'd make Kirby "lulz i uptilt j00 liek t3h pwnzorh4x." Something higher? Great, Fox (even level 9 comps can do this) and Falcon get infinite Uair chains for the win. Higher than that? Fun, nothing happens and it's just like Brawl. With Z-canceling. There's almost no intermediate between lollerhaxing Kirby and lollerhaxing jugglers. And lollerhaxingly stupid matchups.
Link vs Ness at 0% fixed - Ness uptilts Link until he dies.
Falcon vs Fox/Falcon at 0% - Throw --> Throw --> Throw --> etc. Chaining throws is possible (I think). Otherwise...*Upsmash x infinity
Pikachu - Upsmash x infinity
Yoshi - Utilt --> Uair
I mean, do you get it now? Fixed percentages is a bad idea. No offense intended.

Archonn

Smash Rookie
No.
The thing that completely screws this plan is...what % do you set it at? 0% like they do in Melee? That'd make Kirby "lulz i uptilt j00 liek t3h pwnzorh4x." Something higher? Great, Fox (even level 9 comps can do this) and Falcon get infinite Uair chains for the win. Higher than that? Fun, nothing happens and it's just like Brawl. With Z-canceling. There's almost no intermediate between lollerhaxing Kirby and lollerhaxing jugglers. And lollerhaxingly stupid matchups.
Link vs Ness at 0% fixed - Ness uptilts Link until he dies.
Falcon vs Fox/Falcon at 0% - Throw --> Throw --> Throw --> etc. Chaining throws is possible (I think). Otherwise...*Upsmash x infinity
Pikachu - Upsmash x infinity
Yoshi - Utilt --> Uair
I mean, do you get it now? Fixed percentages is a bad idea. No offense intended.
None taken. And sorry if i wasn't clear enough, i did get it before. See:
Myself said:
The hard part would be finding the right number to use
I just wasn't as clear as you were.

Anyway, i don't think the game would become "LolBrawlNoCombos" at fixed high percents -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUOjB4mLbyI
; and even if it did, i think it wouldn't be such a bad idea, because characters like samus would be played more often, since, IIRC, people don't like her exactly because of a severe lack of combos.

In short, yes, in most cases i do agree with you, fixed percentages can easily break the game. I do disagree with you when it comes to say "All fixed percentages break the game". I believe that a fair amount of playtesting would be enough to find that rare number that solves our problems while still mantaining the game's fun aspects.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
If you say so. I personally don't think it's possible, but hey, if you wanna try it...:lick: I'm not stopping you.

Archonn

Smash Rookie
Turns out, i'm not being able to find the necessary codes myself... Has anyone ever done something like this? If not, couldn't someone please explain this n00b how to find the codes?

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
There would be no point in trying to hit other people, since you're not going to do any damage anyways. The game would just end up being both characters wait at the edge and try to throw the other off. 90% of the stages won't be used.

Archonn

Smash Rookie
Apparently, SSB records actual damage as a different number than the one it displays on screen. You can find some "Low %" codes on the internet (also PJ64 comes with them), but they don't actually do anything about damage, they only alter the actual displayed number. When playing with that code, if you get hit, your actual percentage flashes onscreen before disappearing and going back to 0. By that logic, there should be a code that does nothing to your onscreen percentage, but fixes your actual damage at a chosen value. So it's pretty much like a stamina mode, in which the number that defines your knockback is fixed, and all you see on screen is a HP number (except in this case it would be counting on reverse, from 0 to whatever is decided as the maximum).

Top Bottom