• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standard Combo: Three Hit > Flurry?

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
If you could have your own preference on your main character, would you choose a standard three hit combo, like Snake, Ness, Wolf, and Sonic, or would you prefer a flurry combo like Fox, Falcon, Sheik, and G&W?

For some reason, I prefer the standard three hit combo because the final hit puts some space between you and the opponent. In general, what's more useful? The standard combo tends to start out slower so it's shielded more easily, while flurry combos leave your character to do a dozen kicks/jabs before stopping, which a slipup of holding A a fraction of a second too long can leave your character wide open.

I main Fox, but I'm not finding any of his jabs useful. Because Brawl is severely lacking in hitstun, jabs are eaily outprioritized and even if they hit, they deal crappy damage and usually has the result of some nasty punishment afterwards.

Flurry combos were nice in Melee usually because the initial jabs were faster which after you could chain into a combo. Example: Fox's Flurry -> Shine -> Wavedash -> Grab/Up Smash/Shine/etc.

Interesting note if you hadn't noticed before, Pit has both a flrry and standard combo, depending on how many times you mash A. Link also lost his flurry combo on the transfer to brawl. Oddly enough, it's a general trend for quick characters to have the flurry combo, such as Fox, Falco, Falcon, Sheik, Diddy, etc. Sonic is the fastest character, yet he has no flurry combo.

What's a better format in standard combos? Odd standard combos are also a choice, such 1-hit Ganondorf's thunder punch and 2-hit Bowser, DK, and Marth combos.

IMO, having a three hit combo would persuade me to using Fox's standard combo more often. Pressing A three times makes Fox throw a dozen kicks which are easily shieldgrabbed and pressing it twice gives foes 4 or 5 damage. I find myself using my shine in place of any sort of jabs, unfotunately...

Scala

Smash Ace
I prefer the Jabs over the Flurry. It's just a matter of preference for me, I can play characters with both but I feel like I'm not making progress if I catch them in a flurry.

Regardless, neither one is better over the other in my opinion.

Pan!c

Smash Rookie
Falco's "Flurry" is incredible, because it deals a decent amount of damage, trapping the opponent in the combo for a while (determined by their DI), and then he can follow up with a Fsmash or a Shine to the face.

Other characters have this too. Many 3-hit A combos have two "jabs" and then a third hit that adds more knockback. The third hit is cancelled with a lot of characters, and instead, they use a smash attack or a grab instead. (LINK: AA, FSMASH. LUCARIO: AA, SIDESPECIAL).

It all really depends on what character it is, and how good their "flurry" or 3-hit combo is. I guess I like the "flurry" better because I main Falco, and people can really be surprised to be suddenly sucked into his tornado-like move until they DI, which is when I can follow up the attack with a Shine or with a Usmash cancelled Dash attack or something like that.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
You're forgetting a few things.
What about jabs like Pika's or G&W's that are just hold-a-spamfests?
And what about Ganon's jab?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I would kill for sheik old AAA combo

Not only could it be used to do flurry but the knock back of the first punch could reliably combo into a fair in the higher percents.

Anyways the flurry is good for shield pressure and dealing out damage quickly. Most of the time I get around 30% of damage on my opponent before I get fsmashed

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'd like it if Zamus' 3x Jab actually, you know, combo'd more than two characters.

Zench

Smash Cadet
I prefer jab's. never thought of this before
but my 3 mains, Yoshi Olimar and ROB all has 2x combo jabs.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Let's see...

Flurries are great if your opponent sucks and has no idea what DI is. But it seems as though flurries are punishable if your opponent DIs out of them correctly.

Marth's jab is great, despite the fact that it's not a combo, as it can be used to set up and space (although ftilt is obviously better for spacing, but still). And Marth's Dancing Blade perfectly makes up for not having a jab combo.

So yeah, Three Hits > Two Hits > Flurries = One hits

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I'd love to have a flurry with luigi. Mostly because sending the opponent away doesn't leave the man in green too many good options. Making them smashdi close would be a great setup for alot of luigi moves.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
I prefer jab combo's to flurries, no question. Partly because I tend to not stop pressing the button long enough and end up flurrying too long (lack of experience since my mains are all jab'ers) when I'm trying to do a smash or something instead, and partly because they give the opponent less chance to counter you. Assuming they aren't blocked, anyway, knocking them away means they don't have a chance to immedietly hit you, which is much more of an issue with Brawl's hitstun (or lack thereof).

cutter

Smash Champion
I would take a 3-hit jab. Each hit counts as a seperate move; which means a 3-hit jab combo is amazing at refreshing stale moves.

Plus, most rapid-fire jabs allow easy DIing out of them for like 5-7 damage.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Uh for all you blaming the hitstun, jab furries have never had much hitstun, Brawl's actually buffed them since the multiple hits tend to stick together
And Combo=Flurry. It depends on the character

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Three hit.
Thats just how I roll.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
i would keep the standard three piece, i would rather get a quick extra hit to put some distance between us rather than open myself for punishment when they get out of the flurry.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Jabs.
If Lucario had a Flurry standard rather then a Jab standard, I personally feel that it would decrease his amount of chains ten fold. It just wouldn't work well at all.
-t2

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
MK has both, His standard A is a flurrie and his F-Tilt is a 3 hit >_>

It depends really, Falco's Flurrie is(if not the best) one of the best flurries and jabs. and I like jabs when I pick Snake, Lucario and Ike(the first 2 are sort of my secondaries, the last is a for fun)

Top Bottom