• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standard Terms List 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
buuuuuummmppp

what terms are left to cover? rPSI? indigo?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Have we found a concrete definition for "frame trap"? I see a potential misuse often when people call a frame trap "a move or series of moves that cover several options of the opponent in a given circumstance (like "catching landings" even if the opponent air dodges). Is there a better word for this, because iirc this isn't really a "frame trap".
Whew, should've answered this sooner.

When I think "frame trap", I think of a sort of positional advantage.

To illustrate, I have my opponent in the air and above me. I have a character who has the mobility and the attacks to cover most anything they do. My opponent can have a choice of trying to get innovative and predict my movements/attacks, or simply airdodge to get back on to the ground. If and once my opponent airdodges, I have forced them to commit to an action which can enable to me to hit with something hard besides constant pokes.

That's my take on a frame-trap anyway. I'm not saying it's correct, but it's what I've picked up; from where I'm not sure either. I myself am curious to see what the general public would know/think of this.

:093:

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Jab Cancelling [characters with jab combos (list up soon)] - Canelling your jab into another action before the combo is completed

Action [universal] - and individual state in which a character does something, e.g. standing, jabbing, etc.

Dash Attack Cancelling Up-Smash (DACUS, Boost Smash) [universal] - Using an Up-Smash to cancel a dash attack at the beginning** of the dash attack
(**note: the frame window is different for each character)

Boost Grab (Dash Attack Cancelling Grab) [universal] - Using a grab to cancel a dash attack at the beginning** of the dash attack
(**note: the frame window is different for each character)

Yikarur

Smash Master
don't forget that Jab Cancel is more cooldown cancel through crouching/shielding because the IASA frames to Jab2 occupy with the IASA frames to shield/crouch so you can to Jab1 Crouch Jab1 instead of Jab1 Jab2 in the same timewindow.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I hate how this project always go down. I think I'll work on the OP and look what is missing/what can be corrected etc if no one else wants to do this :p

: I don't like the use of "offensive collision" in explanation, that sounds sooo awkward..

Yikarur

Smash Master
^who are you to have a Yoshi Symbol :D?

you could also transcribe it, instead of "If an offensive collision makes contact with them, " like "if they're getting hit" or something like that, no need to use complicated stuff that no one will understand.

I have write out a few mistakes and correction ideas in a txt. I'll post it here later.

Is Indigo even active atm? I would take over this project if everyone wants. This project is far too long in progress tbh.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I wouldn't mind if Yika takes over. rPSI/Bio, Uair u @?

I do wonder where Jeans is though, poor guy. He's the one that got me in here, and now it feels strange that he isn't around as often, if at all. :c

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^who are you to have a Yoshi Symbol :D?

you could also transcribe it, instead of "If an offensive collision makes contact with them, " like "if they're getting hit" or something like that, no need to use complicated stuff that no one will understand.

I have write out a few mistakes and correction ideas in a txt. I'll post it here later.

Is Indigo even active atm? I would take over this project if everyone wants. This project is far too long in progress tbh.
He hasn't posted in LGSD in awhile either, so I think he's out of the loop for the moment :p

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I wouldn't mind if Yika takes over. rPSI/Bio, Uair u @?

Planking FD, you?

Anyhoo, the terms list is now under Yika's control. We need to get this done and posted asap though.

Yikarur

Smash Master
So I changed few things, rewording is welcome if you think it's necessary.

[collapse=Changelog]
Pivot [Universal]- The state in which one changes directions out of a run. Can be cancelled into a run, jump, or True Pivot.
->
Pivot (Dash Pivot, Run Pivot) [Universal] - The state in which one changes directions out of a run. After the successful turnaround the character will run again. Can be cancelled into any controlstick movement and jump.

Short Hop [Universal] - The jump height caused by not holding the jump button on the last frame of jump start.
->
Short Hop [Universal] - The jump height caused by releasing the jump button in Jump Start.

Full Hop [Universal] - The jump height caused by holding the jump button on the last frame of jump start.
->
Full Hop [Universal] - The jump height caused by holding the jump button throughout the whole Jump Start.

Ledge Attack [Universal] - Pressing attack while on the ledge to perform an attack with some invincibility frames. There are two variations of this for each character. The first, called the Ledge Attack, is performed by pressing A while dangling on the ledge, and being below 100%. The second, called the 100% Ledge Attack, is performed the same way, while at 100% or more. This attack is considerably slower than the first.
->
Ledge Attack [Universal] - Pressing attack while on the ledge to perform an attack with some invincibility frames.

+<100%, >100% Ledge Options[ Universal] Every Basic Ledge Option has a 100+% Version and a <100% Version. The <100% Version is fast and has less duration while the 100+% Version is slow and lasts long.

+Ledge Drop[Universal] – pressing back or down to drop from the ledge.

+ Ledge Hop[Universal] – Using the Double Jump after a Ledge Drop to (usually) jump back On-Stage.

+Glide [Specific Characters] - The state activated by holding the jump button or pressing back and forth right after the Double Jump.
[collapse=List of Compatible Characters]
Meta Knight
Charizard
Pit
[/collapse]​
+Walk [Universal] – Walking by tilting the controlstick. The character walks faster with farther tilting.

- Walk2 [Universal] - The intermediate walking speeds between Walk1 and Walk3.
Walk3 [Universal] - Top walk speed.

[/collapse]

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
make sure to include that ledge drop doesn't have a >100% or <100%, then those changes will be great.

Yikarur

Smash Master
if you look closely in the OP I seperated them already so that no confusion occurs. (I at least hope so).
If you're not satisfied with how I've solved it I'm open for better ideas.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Shall I post my manifesto on naming terms based on game definitions and not button inputs or shall I just wait until we officially discuss?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Might as well do it now, get it out of the way and encourage discussion of any kind.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Shall I post my manifesto on naming terms based on game definitions and not button inputs or shall I just wait until we officially discuss?
From what I read in skype, it makes a lot of sense. Go for it.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I'm curious as well since I haven't been on Skype for these talks.
Go for it Lux; what are your thoughts?

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Thinking it over, calling a Zair "Gair" and other related terms will have the same effect as calling DACUS a "Boost Smash". The previous Smash Lab terms list tried to do it, but a) nobody uses the name and b) there is no use changing what was already commonplace. The same argument applies to Gair and other related terms.

DeLux

How does it apply?

I don't think the analogy fits.

Grab aerial should be called Zair for precedent or Gair for ingame mechanic correctness. Boost Smash is an observational name while Dash Attack Cancel Up Smash is another game mechanic correctness.

The difference between Gair and Zair is one relies on button input while the other relies on ingame mechanics for the name.

I already outlined my case and Yika agreed to at least listen enough to put Gair in as an alternative name for Grab Aerial, so I'll call it Gair, you can call it Zair, and we all win.

DeLux

If you go to your control setup, I don't see a "tether" function for your control mapping. I see "Grab" there. That's where the grab term originates from. It doesn't refer to whether it tethers or not. That's completely separate.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
If you go to your control setup, I don't see a "tether" function for your control mapping. I see "Grab" there. That's where the grab term originates from. It doesn't refer to whether it tethers or not. That's completely separate.
Grab someone while in the air using gair. I dare you.

DeLux

Mains Wario

I mean if you want to call it tether, that's fine. As long as it's not only based on button inputs and has some grounding in the game it would be fine.

It would also remove the Glide Attack confusion. Whoever said to name glide attack Gair is ******** imo

Toomai

Smash Ace
For something as omnipresent as "zair", it almost doesn't matter what you claim the "official" name is.

Look at "tech" vs. "ukemi". Just because "ukemi" is the official name doesn't mean people are going to stop using the term they've used for half a decade. So I'd be okay with "gair" being a side name - just be prepared for 50%+ of the relevation topic to hate on it.

Also if you wanted to be anal about game mechanics then you'd call it "shield attack air", since there's no such thing as a grab input.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Mains Wario

I mean if you want to call it tether, that's fine. As long as it's not only based on button inputs and has some grounding in the game it would be fine.

It would also remove the Glide Attack confusion. Whoever said to name glide attack Gair is ******** imo
I have never once input sheild+a and ended up with a special.

DeLux

I use A for special so I do bite out of air dodge all the time :) Which is the whole point in not calling it Zair. And why we even shouldn't call specials "Up B" imo

But seriously, now that I think about it, Tair or Gair would be fine. Tether Aerial or Grab Aerial for official name? It sort of depends on what Yika decides to officially label it as. If it's grab aerial, I'd say Gair is the most logical abbreviation. But if it's tether aerial, then obviously Tair would be the ideal abbreviation.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Make the primary name "grab aerial" and then put the rest of the list as alternate names. If it means anything, SmashWiki uses "grab air" as the primary name.

It's not like 10% of the community will give a crap.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I hate stupid discussions like that. "oh zair is so wrong because you can map your buttons" ~__~

Dnyce

Smash Master
i still support zair over gair. and tair would apply better then gair anyways -pre lux debate statement go-
Wait, does this mean Olimar, ivysaur and ZSS have a gair now? I'm confused... I would love to horizontally shoot my utility belt at opponents. PLEASE INFORM ME ON HOW TO DO THIS.

Not going into helpless falling as Oli/Ivy after using "tair" would be helpful as well. Help!

Real Talk:
tether aerial of course since that is what a zair is really
Not all tethers are gairs

I hate stupid discussions like that. "oh zair is so wrong because you can map your buttons" ~__~
What about wii-mote nun-chuck users such as tairbear and ultairmate razor? Or Classic controller?

Note: I believe Lux also advocated saying "Up-Special" and not "Up-B" for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom