• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I agree hemightbeagiant - no fanbase is worse than the Sevies. And as crazy as it sounds, I actually wouldn't mind Sora in SSBB. KH is actually a very good game series (I & II anyway; don't know about CoM...) and may be Squeenix's saving grave with the FF series starting to stagnate (yeah... I like have zero hype for either XII or XIII - all 3 of them! :laugh:). But please guys - no more trollin' on each other...

Back on topic, yes FlipTroopa's ideas are always awesome.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Ooo, hehe, oh my :blush:

While we're on the topic of my super awesome ideas... *strokes ego*

I came up with some feasible A moves for Mike, making him more "super badass lol" and using the various items he's come across in the two games.

A: Yo-yo (goes fast enough that you don't need a A, A or A, A, A or Rapid A attack)
Ftilt: Yo-yo swipe (longer whip)
Utilt: Overhead Yo-yo
Dtilt: Crouching Yo-yo
FSmash: Two-Step! Excalibur overhead slash, Excalibur sideways slash
DSmash: Mace Clear (spins the mace [Supernova?] around his ankles)
USmash: Sling (swings the stone sling above his head)
Dash A: Slide (like he's going for home!)

Nair: Yo-yo, once again
Dair: Cleets (METEOR!)
Bair: Heel (just a kick backwards with his heel)
Fair: Axe (swings straight down that old axe from the Stone Age)
Uair: Torch (stabs the torch overhead, burning enemies right under their feet)

Throws: Swings out a bola to wrap the opponent
A/Z: Knee
Fthrow: Spins them and smashes them with his baseball bat
Bthrow: Spins them behind him and swings the baseball bat
Uthrow: Unwinds them upwards and does a body rush to launch them into the air
Dthrow: Slams them down and blasts them a few times with the laser pistol

Hmm... any other ideas?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
*whistles*

BUMP!

...you know, this is the character that, if Sakurai puts him in the game, will rejuventate a lot of older gamers' faith in Nintendo. Star Tropics, alongside Punch-Out, are essentially THE symbols of NES gaming in America. I mean, yeah, there's Mario and Zelda and all that, but these two were OUR games. They spoke to US. And if you talk to most guys and girls who grew up in those days, they remember these games as fondly as most children recall their fairytales. If Sakurai puts Mike in the game, it would be the greatest nod to the American fanbase I can think of. That and putting Mac in :p

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I agree hemightbeagiant - no fanbase is worse than the Sevies. And as crazy as it sounds, I actually wouldn't mind Sora in SSBB. KH is actually a very good game series (I & II anyway; don't know about CoM...) and may be Squeenix's saving grave with the FF series starting to stagnate (yeah... I like have zero hype for either XII or XIII - all 3 of them! :laugh:). But please guys - no more trollin' on each other...

Back on topic, yes FlipTroopa's ideas are always awesome.
CoM's not that good, but it did fill that gap inbetween KH and KH2. I think the reason most people where hyped because of cloud's apperance with other FF characters. I, however, bought it because of the Disney factor. Most people only started to care about the Disney part AFTER they realized that it was the major part with the story, and NOT FF.

ON TOPIC: MIKE JONES FOR BRAWL!!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Seriously, FlipTroopa, you rule. You rule hardXcore, and that's saying something. =) And I totally dig your music choices for the levels (also of a high quality - as usual). As for the Underworld theme, try this: Main Action Areas I loved it.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
No, I'm sure that it wouldn't - mainly because (to my knowledge) Mike's was more prominent than Ness', or at least when you compare the fact that Ness relied more heavily on psychic powers than Mike did.

And listening again to the Sub-C sailing theme makes me really want to take it into 3/4, and it would work perfectly as an interlude for a StarTropics overture / fight theme. Start with Title Theme, slow it down with Sub-C sailing (waltz), then speed back up with Overworld. Kinda like how they did Onett, just with one more song.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Before my computer decided to commit hari kari back in the day, I had a TON of midis, including those two :p They were indeed all good.

And if they have to do one stage with one track, it'll be what you suggested above, Aeris. Something that captures the WHOLE feel of the game.

Star Tropics II tracks would come with a second stage.

...and what about Mike's victory theme? Just a shortened remix of when he beats a boss?

parrothead

Smash Lord
Before my computer decided to commit hari kari back in the day, I had a TON of midis, including those two :p They were indeed all good.

And if they have to do one stage with one track, it'll be what you suggested above, Aeris. Something that captures the WHOLE feel of the game.

Star Tropics II tracks would come with a second stage.

...and what about Mike's victory theme? Just a shortened remix of when he beats a boss?
Probably the one played at the part of StarTropics I, when he and Nav-Com left C-Island in the Sub-C. If that's not good enough, then how about a shortened remix of the main StarTropics theme? Just like the ones for the Zelda characters, Pokemon characters, and other characters with shortened remixes of their main themes.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
http://www.vgmusic.com/new-files/Mike_Jones_Wins_v2.mid

Copy. Paste. Enjoy. (Worship me). =)

(Ohh and for some reason it cuts off if you play it in Winamp. Don't.)
*bows in prayer* Oh great Aeris... Lord of all that is awesome... I bring you this sacrifice of cold mountain dew and a ham sandwich, so that you may continue to thrive in your awesomeness...

Thanks a ton dude. I was wondering if someone made a mix like that (since a LOT of people tend to do that kind of stuff :p)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
You're most welcome! We would have actually preferred Our favorite: Pepsi and a Smoked Turkey sub from Quizno's (preferably with Sun Chips - ORIGINAL ONLY), but We appreciate your sustinence, and We have been satisfied.<3

(Haha, I love The King of All Cosmos)

If I ever get around to doing a StarTropics medley for a battle theme, I'll be sure to post it. I just got bored and decided that I had time. =)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
For some reason, those Video Game Music Archive midi links never work for me...

BTW I've had the Nazo no Murasame tune (thank you very much FlipTroopa... :p ) and the Star Tropics battle theme stuck in my head for the past two weeks now. Both Mike and Takamaru NEED to be in for both of these melodies' sake alone - of course the fact that they're awesome characters dosen't hurt either...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
For some reason, those Video Game Music Archive midi links never work for me...

BTW I've had the Nazo no Murasame tune (thank you very much FlipTroopa... :p ) and the Star Tropics battle theme stuck in my head for the past two weeks now. Both Mike and Takamaru NEED to be in for both of these melodies' sake alone - of course the fact that they're awesome characters dosen't hurt either...
Welcome to MY world >.<;;

I can NEVER stop humming and whistling. NEVER.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Haha dude, I'm totally the same way. Music is seriously my life - my future career, my main obsession, my hobby, etc. I love it. =)

GenG

Smash Lord
Woah, that midi is great. Good work there Aeris.

I'm usually plugged to my computer's earphones 24/7. I have to have all soundtracks, cause I have an obsession with music. If that soundtrack doesn't exist, I make it! (That's how ripping works :dizzy: ).

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
O_o;

...Didn't we finally put an end to that? Especially with "StarTropics" in the title? Oh, well.

And thanks, GenG! =)

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I didn't think anyone else even KNEW of that game. Never heard it come up in conversation at least. I downloaded it about two weeks ago.

He would rock in Brawl.
So would that Robot that pilots the submarine. The one that looks like R.O.B.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Um, duh? Haha, people definitely know about it, it has quite a cult following. And yes, Mike would rock in Brawl. Haha, and the R.O.B. is a clever little homage to a piece of equipment probably not even old enough (at the time) to even have an homage. But humorous nonetheless.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Star Tropics is one of the more popular NES games to have a cult following. Mention it on a forum, and you're gonna have at least 10 guys knocking down the door of the topic to reminisce. It even has a fansite on Classicgaming which gets a pretty decent amount of hits every day: http://www.classicgaming.com/startropics/main.asp

Like I said, dudes... If Sakurai puts Mike in the game, he would be doing an amazing service to Nintendo's American fanbase. Anybody who emulates regularly or played an NES as a kid remember this game, and remembers it well.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
The only three characters I really want now:
1) Toad
2) Little Mac
3) Mike Jones

=)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Actually, that's a good question...Flip, any idea what Sakurai thinks of MJ? (No, not that MJ...sickos. :lick: ).

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Actually, that's a good question...Flip, any idea what Sakurai thinks of MJ? (No, not that MJ...sickos. :lick: ).
Other than my crazy dream where Star Tropics became one of the most downloaded games on VC and got another sequel for the Wii and massive Brawl rep, he's said nothing :laugh:

NSiders forums is littered with n00bs and guys who are in their early to mid teens, so they have no frigging clue what Star Tropics is. The only NES games they "recall" are the ones they played with their older siblings (of which their memory isn't that clear, probably), the really popular ones that everybody knows, or the ones that got rehashed recently. You can tell so easily that the NSiders forums will be the death of fan requests in Smash Bros. All they want is that POS Sonic and Waluigi and Wolf, and then OCCASSIONALLY someone will mention like... Mach Rider or Takamaru, and get flamed or empty support.

Anyways... the Japanese don't really know Star Tropics exists, so it wasn't mentioned on their polls at all either.

HOWEVER, Punch-Out IS heavily requested from both sides, and, that being a largely American influenced game, HAS piqued Sakurai's interest. And, considering Star Tropics is also heavily American and was developed by the same team, Sakurai I'm sure has at least knowledge that the series exists. NOA is apparently putting a decently sized hand into this, bigger than they had in Melee, by sharing suggestions from fans, and rumor persists that many NOA reps do regularly surf fan forums outside of NSiders (esp. Gamefaqs and IGN). Sadly, they ALSO have ****ty suggestions, but I would not be surprised if at least a few people saw these forums and some Mike support.

Like I said, Star Tropics is very very popular with American gamers who remember the NES. I think it's up to all of us to spread that love. Somebody go to NSiders and push Mike. Heavily. Use my moveset and my picture, I don't care. But I think Sakurai needs to realize that there are intelligent fans out there, who want intelligent and faithful inclusions. Mike would be a fantastic addition to the Smash cast, and would definitely reinterest a lot of older gamers. I know a few already who would play Smash more often if they had more vintage characters, LIKE Mike.

The game cannot be filled by using ONLY new and popular characters. That's not the spirit of Smash Bros. Would we have Ness, or Samus, or Captain Falcon in the original? Ice Climbers and Game and Watch in Melee? Or even Marth and Roy in the US release of Melee? The series represents ALL of Nintendo's history and franchises, not just the ones people recognize. While it makes sense Mario gets more rep than, say, Star Fox, it DOESN'T make sense that Star Fox gets more inclusions than Pokemon, or that a popular franchise such as Pokemon has so many new additions it outweighs BRAND NEW franchises. Just because a few fans don't like the idea of Pit doesn't mean he won't be successful. Kid Icarus was just as deserving a franchise as Zelda, as is the same with Wario Ware, as is the same with Mother, as is the same with any other you can come up with. Every game has its fans, and Smash is the game that brings them together. You can't shaft one group just because the others are more vocal. Didn't we learn anything from past generations of human civilization?

And so, by dissing characters like Mike who are decently worthy, Nintendo would be in effect dissing its fanbase. They deserve to be educated and rewarded for their devotion over all these years, wouldn't you say?

Sorry to go off on a rant like that. I was on a roll

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Like I said, dudes... If Sakurai puts Mike in the game, he would be doing an amazing service to Nintendo's American fanbase. Anybody who emulates regularly or played an NES as a kid remember this game, and remembers it well.
Judging by the Japan only poll, I think he could care less about the rest of the world(maybe it's for the best, if the poll was anywhere else the omly character on it would be Sonic). And don't worry about ranting, everyone does it at least three times on each forum they go to.

Mike Jones ftw! Everyone who doesn't support him ftl!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I can try my hand at shaking something up over at NSider...dunno if I still have an account, but I'll take a look. =)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Well, I didn't see any Brawl specific topics, so in "What games are you jazzed about?" I posted my top 3 character picks for Brawl:

1) Toad
2) Little Mac
3) Mike Jones

And for those unfamiliar with Mikey, I suggested that they check him out at Smashboards.com in the Brawl Character Discussion, and find the thread for Mike Jones from StarTropics. =)

Fingers crossed that people will become interested!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
*SOMEBODY SET UP US THE BUMP!*

Fortunately for Mike Jones, there is considerable support for him on the Nsider Forums (if Sakurai-san in fact recognises it as the "official" Smash Bros. community...) so there might be some hope for Mikey afterall... :grin:

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
*SOMEBODY SET UP US THE BUMP!*

Fortunately for Mike Jones, there is considerable support for him on the Nsider Forums (if Sakurai-san in fact recognises it as the "official" Smash Bros. community...) so there might be some hope for Mikey afterall... :grin:
Hey, you're beating me in posts man. What gives >.>;; *I'm going to school, that's what*

But yeah, Mike is getting crazy support now. A friend of mine was just randomly going about how great Star Tropics and Mike were today, and how much he'd love to see Mike and Zoda in Smash. When I went to a Smash tourney last night, Mike came up at some point or another too, but only me and one other guy knew what the hell we were talking about :p Someone did chime in though that his yo-yo would kick total *** :chuckle:

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Hey, you're beating me in posts man. What gives >.>;; *I'm going to school, that's what*

But yeah, Mike is getting crazy support now. A friend of mine was just randomly going about how great Star Tropics and Mike were today, and how much he'd love to see Mike and Zoda in Smash. When I went to a Smash tourney last night, Mike came up at some point or another too, but only me and one other guy knew what the hell we were talking about :p Someone did chime in though that his yo-yo would kick total *** :chuckle:
School happened to me too - it's just when I finally log on smashboards, I sorta go on a binge posting spree... :chuckle:

But yes - sooner or later, Mike J. is going to pwn all...

Top Bottom