• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Start Your Engines: Mario Kart 8 is Almost Here!

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Nintendo’s most beloved racing franchise is revving up for a new challenge that is speeding our way next month. Some new details on Mario Kart 8 have emerged and we’re here to give you the latest scoop!

**Spoiler Warning: The contents of this article contains new information on Mario Kart 8, including tracks, items, racers, and gameplay details.**

Just last week, Nintendo held a press release where the media was offered a hands-on look at Mario Kart’s newest installment. Details have exploded all over the Internet today, including a brand new trailer.

Mario Kart 8’s latest trailer, released Thursday morning, April 3, 2014.

Perhaps the most exciting news is the announcement of two Rainbow Roads in the game. The first one is an all-new concept created specifically for Mario Kart 8, and the second being a re-imagined version of Mario Kart 64’s Rainbow Road, as seen in the trailer. A couple other tracks appear to be returning with a brand-spanking-new design, including Moo Moo Meadows from Mario Kart Wii, Toad’s Turnpike from Mario Kart 64, and Donut Plains from the game that started it all, Super Mario Kart for the SNES. There will be 16 new courses as well as 16 retro courses. This brings the total count up to 32 beautifully designed locations in which to slip on banana peels and floor it past opponents on the way to the finish line.

Two new items have made their way into the ever-growing collection of power ups, the first being the Piranha Plant. This item rides along in front of the vehicle and snaps at any nearby racers. The other is the Boomerang. Drivers can throw it out in front of them to hit their opponents, then it returns to its thrower. It is currently unknown how many times the Boomerang can be thrown.

Yoshi using the Piranha Plant, one of Mario Kart 8’s brand new items.

Everyone has their favorite Mario Kart racer, and some fan-favorites will be returning behind the wheel. Two of Mario Kart 7’s newcomers, Metal Mario and Lakitu, as well as Shy Guy, who made his debut in Mario Kart DS, make a return in Mario Kart 8. It is currently unknown if Mario Kart 8 will stay true to Mario Kart 7’s weight classes, so Lakitu and Shy Guy's “feather” weight status remains a mystery.

There are a couple more details to note that make Mario Kart 8 the most innovative installment yet. There is an all-new gameplay mechanic called the Spin Boost. When driving with anti-gravity on the walls or ceilings, bumping into other racers and obstacles gives the player a small boost of speed. The Spin Boost will also knock other racers back. Mario Kart 8 is also the very first game in the franchise that features music recorded by a live ensemble.

Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U will hit store shelves on May 30, 2014 in North America and Europe, and the following day in Australia.

Join us in the Light House for discussion and news on any and all things video game related!

iDOWN is a Walt Disney World Cast Member, a Nintendo-enthusiast, and an extremely casual Marth and Ness main. You can contact him for anything on his Twitter, @PlayerOneiDOWN.

Last edited:

Bamboo

Smash Rookie
This is the most beautiful Mario Kart, oh jesus :eek:. I am ready.

GET HYPE

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I'm going to pick this up for sure. I only hope it doesn't distract me from practicing and playing Project M though. I'll balance it somehow. I'm a smasher. I know how to balance gaming. Also, I'm totally all for smashboards having articles on news from across the Nintendo spectrum.

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
this is smashboards
not nintenboards. or miiverse.
I don't really see a problem.. Regardless its building up hype because the sooner we get this game the sooner we get Smash 4. We also get a smash direct on the 8th! I wonder which character will be revealed.

B-Ber

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrashyBrash
From the video it looks like that they hold items with their hands first, and that worries me a little bit. Does that mean you can't hold a green shell or a banana behind you for defense against red shells?

Still looks like a lot of fun, but i hope that they don't change it too much.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
From the video it looks like that they hold items with their hands first, and that worries me a little bit. Does that mean you can't hold a green shell or a banana behind you for defense against red shells?

I watched a few videos, and it looks like you can still guard yourself with shells and bananas.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero

Mario Kart Double Dash didn't have a problem in its metagame without the ability to hold out an item with impunity.

I think I'll pass on this installment. MKWii came down to which Wario Bike user was the best and 3DS's coin system was a headache. Both at once seems like a bit much.

Besides of course Mario Kart having nothing to do with Smash.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Mario Kart Double Dash didn't have a problem in its metagame without the ability to hold out an item with impunity.

I think I'll pass on this installment. MKWii came down to which Wario Bike user was the best and 3DS's coin system was a headache. Both at once seems like a bit much.

Besides of course Mario Kart having nothing to do with Smash.
Granted bikes have been nerfed since there are no more wheelies and stuff

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Smashboards posts about all things relevant to the smash community. The mario kart vs smash bros ven diagram for playerbase is close enough to one circle that I think this is okay...

... Should probably buy a wiiU eventually.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
My favorite Mario character.
From every single Mario & Luigi game except Dream Team.

Why would fawful be in it?
Because MarioKart needs a better variety of characters, instead of all those generic and bland racers.
So instead I having Baby Metal Wapeach, let's have Fawful, or another Mario RPG character.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
My favorite Mario character.
From every single Mario & Luigi game except Dream Team.

Because MarioKart needs a better variety of characters, instead of all those generic and bland racers.
So instead I having Baby Metal Wapeach, let's have Fawful, or another Mario RPG character.
I'd rather see the Paper mario partners

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'd rather see the Paper mario partners
Why not both?
They are probably my most-wanted racers besides Fawful.

One of my biggest hopes for MarioKart is that they add Paper Mario partners instead of the normal and generic Bowser minions.
For example, instead of wasting a roster slot on Koopa Troopa and Dry Bones, why not add Goombario and Koops? That way, instead of having two random enemies, you have actual characters with personalities, while still representing Koopas/Goombas/etc...

Tyler Ruziak

Smash Cadet
Do u guys think tournaments will be booming in stores & other places with Mario Kart 8?

andimidna

Smash Master
Wow, I'm sure all of the obvious has been stated, so I'll notice something else I noticed.

There was so much Rosalina in that trailer, I'm starting to think Nintendo is more obsessed with Rosalina than I am. Which is not easy.

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
I'm very happy with all the videos I saw. Looks like they didn't only give Mario Kart 8 a beautiful make over, but great balancing. Looks like this one will finally be skill based and not a cesspool of disasters like the last 2.

Top Bottom