• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starter or not? Discuss.

india3

Smash Cadet
i think he is not a starter because he came after the drought... like somebody said, sakurai probably planned to reveal all the starters before dec .3, the old release... so dedede was in...but after it got delayed he decided to introduce a new character- olimar and pikmin.. it takes 3 - 5 weeks for each update to get released after it is originally submitted, and this update was indeed approximately 5 weeks after dec. 3...

or maybe all that i wrote is completely wrong and he really is a starter since sakurai knew about the delay way back in october giving him ample time to spread out dedede and everybody else..

i personally hope he's a starter though..

burrito

Smash Lord
He hasn't said anything like that in a trillion of articles. This common belief comes from one thing he said on the Japanese Brawl website that was around before the dojo. I've read it before, here: (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642&highlight=samurai+panda) , also look at the more accurate translation, not the short misleading one.

According to the thread, "Sakurai says that having Snake as a hidden character rather than be part of the starting line-up is more fitting for a guest character". Saying it is "more fitting is far from a confirmation. Sakurai didn't seem very sure of himself at the time, but it is my belief that he decided to make 3rd party character starters. Other things that Sakurai said later help to re-affirm this, but I don't feel like citing those at the moment.
Apparently, I was wrong: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=136110

I still maintein that all the other characters revealed are starters, though.

courte

Smash Lord
idk i'm gonna play everyone, unlike these i'm gonna main him claimers... what do you gain by stating that?? do they think theres gonna be a tourney for smash any time soon?? and are you gonna be a dedicated main?? i suspect if there are most hidden characters anyone who claims to main a newcomer (Except Gimpy) will find their constitutions swayed upon sight of another unforseen factor I.E. the hiDDen character

Pseudo_Sam

Smash Cadet
I think he will be a starter, but I don't want him to be a starter. Ii just seems so wrong to have such an awesome character at the start - YOU MUST WORK FOR OLIMAR!!!

KingGeorge

Smash Cadet
i really like the look of him, i mean, he's gonna be totally new and innovative, but lets be real, they added some awkward starters in Melee, didn't they? (although i'm not naming any because i might be wrong, i think Ice climbers and maybe ganon

Krell

Smash Journeyman
I would be willing to bet cash money that every character on the Dojo so far, excluding Sonic and Snake, will be starters. This theory explains why they haven't released such characters as Luigi, C. Falcon, and Jigglypuff that we all know will be in the game.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
i really like the look of him, i mean, he's gonna be totally new and innovative, but lets be real, they added some awkward starters in Melee, didn't they? (although i'm not naming any because i might be wrong, i think Ice climbers and maybe ganon
Not GDorf, but Ice Climbers were a starter.

I just got another idea... maybe only the characters on the cover of the game will be starters?

(I don't think this is the official cover, but the picture is from the official Japanese cover up on the Japanese site.)

EPX2

Smash Ace
I bet he's hidden. He's probably just too weird and not popular enough. I mean, how popular was pikmin? I don't even know how he's supposed to fight.. Captian Olimar vs Bowser..
Pikmin 2 sold poorly in comparison to Pikmin, from what I've heard (though I wouldn't be surprised to find out that were wrong). However, the series is still quite popular... just not to the extent of Nintendo's big-name franchises. Then again, neither are franchises like F-Zero, Ice Climber, etc. Regardless, the "he's too unique" argument is a ridiculous one to use for the reason stated below:

dont think so
hes to different to be a starter
I don't think Olimar will be a starter. Reason being is that he seems to be somewhat complex. It'd make sense for new players to learn to play the game before being introduced to him.
You mean like how the Ice Climbers and Zelda/Sheik were complex, yet starters in Melee? Or like how the Pokemon Trainer is quite complex, but is likely going to be a starter? That reasoning is silly, as we've already seen several instances that show that complexity and uniqueness aren't factors in a character's unlockable status.

I would be willing to bet cash money that every character on the Dojo so far, excluding Sonic and Snake, will be starters. This theory explains why they haven't released such characters as Luigi, C. Falcon, and Jigglypuff that we all know will be in the game.
Why would Captain Falcon become a secret character again? He likely became a starter in Melee along with Ness because he's the sole and main representative of his franchise. Making him secret again would defeat the purpose of having made him default in the first place.

It's just hard to believe there will be that many starters. I think there should be more unlockables than starters.
... why? Have you seen anything at all to suggest that we'll have more unlockables than starters? You can't even use previous SSB games seeing as how they all had about a 3:1/3:2 ratio of default to secret characters. What is so unbelievable about having 23 starting characters (likely more)? We don't know the entire roster, so who's to say there aren't 17 or so characters who'll need to be unlocked? Would you have said it'd be unbelievable for SSBM to have 14 starting characters prior to its release?

Marth's franchise wasn't really major at the time. It was a Japanese only franchise at the time. So, it was made hidden.

I mean, they should try to represent as many major series as they can in the starter characters. Hidden characters have always been more secondary franchise characters or new franchises that aren't as popular.

So, yeah, I do think there are some characters that are deserving to be a starter. I'm not saying that hidden characters aren't as good as starter characters or anything. There are some characters that deserve to be hidden, as well. Basically, the starter screen is going to be the first thing that one sees when they start the game, and for newbs, it might possibly be the only thing they see. So, starter characters always stand out more, while hidden characters have more of a secretive quality.
Quoted for truth.

Boofer

Smash Ace
I think he'll be unlockable. These aren't really good reasons, but they make sense to me:

1. They took forever and a day to reveal him. They waited until just before the game was going to be released, so I'm guessing they wanted to hide him for a while.

2. 20 starters is a nice, even number. It's true that this isn't much of a point, but both of the previous games had an even amount of starters.

3. I'm guessing we'll have around 35 characters, so 15 hidden characters would make alot of sense. I don't think the amount of starters should greatly excede the amount of secrets. In melee, roughly half of the characters were unlockable and I don't see him decreasing the amount of unlockable things in the game. Especially characters. I think unlockables is a BIG part of Smash, so I don't think he'd give us 10 or less unlockable characters.

Of course, this is what makes sense to me. He could very well be a starter and I would not be surprised.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord

All I know is that my gut says "maybe."
Olimar when he crash landed in the first Pikmin game: "You win again Gravity!"

Seriously, I doubt Olimar would be a starter. Not because he's "too unique," in fact, that would help him, at this moment, we all turn and look at Ice-Climbers and then turn back. He just doesn't fit the feel of starter, because for one thing, it seems like PT is a starter, and possibly Pit and MetaKnight, so we need to keep SOME of the awesome-ness of Brawl locked when the game turns on for the first time.

KingGeorge

Smash Cadet
I have an idea, backwards reasoning, does anyone have a good reason why sakurai'd post a hidden character on Dojo? I mean, i understand that he's 'not gonna be too hung up on hidden characters' but he still gave me the impression that he was keeping them secret at least until release.

burrito

Smash Lord
Don't forget that Olimar was shown off in one off the Japanese commercials. Even more proof that he's a starter.

Iboid

Smash Apprentice
I thikn so. He was shown on a public commercial that thousands of people have seen, even if they haven't been up to date with the Dojo.

_Doorman_

Smash Rookie
So did Marth. =P
I don't think there's anything like "deserving" to be a starter... there's a certain dignity in requiring effort to be made playable, don't you think?
No, Charcter like Mario and Link DESERVE to be starters, they are just that popular.

Althogh I 'm still not eniterly sure how you unlock character in Brawl,so I could be wrong...

Top Bottom