• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting Roster reveals only one character?

Xtremee

Smash Apprentice
I was just thinking was if the starting roster involves only one character? let's just say this was made in order to get players from all the world know every character in the game an then decide which they'll like the most because whatever reason thus they'll could decide which character would be their main

for example the starting character will be Mario

that's the only character you can play in all-modes , you go to SSE and unlock Pit, now from there you will know Mario's Moveset and Pro's and Con's very well so you might want to try something else (Pit) you apply the same bussiness as Mario and the same thing goes until you unlock every character in the game

I believe it would be a interesting idea if the designers ever thought about it if they didn't or do think about it it will make people play with all the characters before just selecting Fox and overusing him :laugh:

Anyways i have to say that the starting roster doesn't mean a thing i mean if your main is link all that you'll care about is Link and the other characters are just there so you can beat the crap out of them so whatever

DISCUSS

Stalky

Smash Cadet
I'd like this, but it wouldn't be very convenient for people who just want to pick it up for the first time and play multiplayer.

I actually wondered if we'd start with only Mario, Kirby, Link and Pikachu at first; kind of like a callback to the original E3 2006 announcement trailer. That'd be awesome.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I like this idea, I would want to unlock ALL characters this way... sadly it will not likely happen due to multiplayer...

but the best way i could think of doing this would be starting with the original 8.

Kibbles

Smash Rookie
Nice thought, this had never crossed my mind.

I guess it would make many people quite annoyed, especially those who just want to Wi-Fi straight away, but it is quite a cool idea for making people try out all the characters, but if the player wanted Link (for example) they'd find out how to get Link, then just rush to unlock him, not paying much attention to storyline (if he is in SSE)/other characters/items etc.

Illyasvel

Smash Apprentice
So if I invite 3 friends to my house the day I buy the game, we all have to play Mario cause you say so? o.o

Not happening, and thanks god to that.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
A fighting game with one available character from the start would suck. What about the people who buy the game and want to play it with their friend immediately? Mario VS Mario?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I think it's a good idea, but you'll need to start with at least 4 characters, for multiplayer's sake. This would be Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu, who have always been Smash Bros' big 4.

The only downside would be that it could mean we already know all the characters! And Sonic and Snake have been confirmed secret. If there were others I think it would have been mentioned.

I like this idea though, and I think it'd be good for a future Smash.

EDIT: Or 6. One representative from all of Nintendo's really major series'

Mario (Mario)
Link (Zelda)
Kirby (Kirby)
Pikachu (Pokémon)
Samus (Metroid)
Fox (Starfox)

Would be nice :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If there was one character on the starting roster, sorry Mario, but I'd want it to be PT. Three characters in one = awesome.

Ill be maining Olimar, but I dont mind unlocking him, and I'd like PT to be the first person I play, because he looks like the most fun. Squirtle ftw, although I hear he doens hit hard from people who played him at Whobby.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Well... Yes, I can see where your coming with this. It IS a good idea to do something like that. But its just not... Something common and would undoubtedly piss a lot of people off. Maybe the original 8 but not only one to start with.

-Onyx

Monkeyjr352

Smash Cadet
Hmmm...Maybe in Multiplayer there would be six or eight characters, however, the subspace mode could have you only being able to play one character and have to beat it with that character to get the next, etc.

EPX2

Smash Ace
I would be so incredibly irritated if that were the case (which it won't be, since Sakurai's not an idiot; he knows SSB's main draw is the multiplayer aspect). I see no reason why I should be forced to play with only one character from the beginning. I also no reason why I should be forced to unlock characters who were available from the start in Melee. That's what kinda ticked me off about Marvel vs. Capcom 2: the fact that so many of the starters from the original were unlockable.

Xtremee

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm...Maybe in Multiplayer there would be six or eight characters, however, the subspace mode could have you only being able to play one character and have to beat it with that character to get the next, etc.
exactly!!! something like that is what i meant

Thi0s

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind, but maybe like 6-8 people instead of just plainly one. Unless unlocking everyone else was only a matter of doing say, Classic mode once through I would do it.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I've been tossing out speculations of this for awhile here on the forums. If you run into another character at every cutscene then it makes sense. First Kirby and Mario, then you can unlock Zelda and Peach. Then Mario meets Sonic. That's already five after one level. Well, it appears Mario runs into Sonic before anyone else anyway.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Actually you do, Sakuria said so him self.......:redx:
No, he said most characters can be unlocked via SSE, not will. That implies that there are alternate methods to unlock these characters (like in Melee, where you had the choice of completing one method or playing a certain number of VS. matches).

Lucas_User

Smash Journeyman
Then Sakurai would really mean "Youre going to play every inch of this game".

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Or 6. One representative from all of Nintendo's really major series'

Mario (Mario)
Link (Zelda)
Kirby (Kirby)
Pikachu (Pokémon)
Samus (Metroid)
Fox (Starfox)

Would be nice :p
Donkey Kong?

If Nintendo were choosing the top six, it wouldn't feature Samus and Fox, it would feature Yoshi and DK.

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
or more then what we started with in melee or at least how many are on the cover

starting with just mario would be annoying because when you first get the game and play with your friend, what are you ganna just play multiplayer with mario

and not everyone wants to play as mario to begin with

Top Bottom