• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Still trying to understand...

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
So Nintendo put ROB in Brawl.
I don't use him, but he can be a good character if you know how to use him.
So now they have him confirmed for Smash 4.
But ROB was a toy meant to play with kids who don't have friends on a couple of games.
And all these years after the NES, they decide to put ROB in Smash Bros?
If you figure out why they put him in Brawl or Kept him in 4, please let me know.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I believe I heard many people mention how much Nintendo loves ROB, Of course that only partially explains his inclusion. ROB is one of the most unexpected characters in the series. He is also one of the most unique. Those must factor into ROBs inclusion and ensure he will survive to the end of the series.
Besides, interestingly enough, most of the characters that were initially considered gimmicks or one-time-wonders returned. Perhaps those characters are too unique to be cut.

Last edited:
ROB basically saved the gaming industry. When the whole thing was collapsing because the market was absolutely flooded with video games, Nintendo released the Robotic Operating Buddy, and marketed it as a toy rather than as a game. This helped it really stand out from the rest of the competition and boosted sales, eventually weeding out the weaker companies and reviving the industry.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I believe they put ROB in Smash Bros because Sakurai was crazy enough to make it a viable idea.

Completely out of the blue, yet he fits the game and the cast to a tee.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
R.O.B. is a toy but his purpose isn't really "to play with kids who don't have friends on a couple of games". Essentially, he was a very clever marketing ploy by Nintendo. After the video game market crashed, retailers did not want to stock games. The inclusion of R.O.B. allowed it to be marketed as a toy and allowed Nintendo to really sell the NES in the US. His actual games are from what I've heard flops, but with regards to what he was intended to do he was a massive success.

Putting him back in Brawl is not really that "out of the blue" though - as despite how old he is, he keeps making cameo appearances in many games. Examples:

- Kirby's Dream Land 3 (1997)
- Warioware Inc
- F-Zero GX (2003)
- Pikmin 2 (2004)
- Mario Kart DS (2005, playable)

So you can see that he appears in quite a few games before Brawl, which is also not his playable debut. As for Sakurai's reasoning for putting him in Brawl? He appears to have a fondness for retro characters (Ice Climbers, G&W, DHD are other examples), Nintendo seems fond of using R.O.B. and as a robot he brings a different feel and some more diversity to the cast and these all likely had some input on the decision.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Since Sakurai doesn't go on smashboards, no one here can give you a 100% answer besides "He saved the gaming industry". But nintendo does love throwing him into places as little references.

That is why you must be a good little boy and pray to ROB every night and thank him for his magnanimous sacrifice or else the Virtual Boy of Failure will come and take your games and KOs away.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I love it. I was psyched when I saw he was playable in Brawl, he was probably my fourth(?) favorite character in that game. I'm glad that he and Olimar came back even if Ivy and Lucas didn't. Sakurai has at least some sympathy for me.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
To be honest, ROB's inclusion in Brawl wasn't that much of a surprise really, considering his previous (and recent at the time) MK:DS inclusion.

SISSIL

Smash Rookie
I love it. I was psyched when I saw he was playable in Brawl, he was probably my fourth(?) favorite character in that game. I'm glad that he and Olimar came back even if Ivy and Lucas didn't. Sakurai has at least some sympathy for me.
Sakurai may have sympathy, but you'll be getting none from Ike.

1FC0

Smash Lord
BECAUSE R.O.B. IS BEST CHARACTER AND HE BEAT MUCH OPPONENTS UNTIL THEY ARE BEATEN

TODAY !!!!

Top Bottom