• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

STLBarWarz Jan 4 Tournament Results

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Big thanks to all of you for making this a great tourney, and to our host/venue, STLBarWarz, for making the tournament even more awesome with live stream and commentary and all. Expect more tourneys to come in the future.

Here is the link to the recorded live stream if you'd like to check it out... some pretty wild commentary XD http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz/b/354095355

If this was your first time coming to a tourney, and especially if you didn't make it out of pools and into bracket, I want you to know that the pools are as big a part of the tourney as the rest of it. The crowd I was looking forward to seeing the most was all the first-timers, and I'm glad to have met so many new faces. Join either our STL regional thread, or our facebook page to keep posted on future events, smashfests, etc...

http://www.facebook.com/groups/323513011041633/?ref=ts&fref=ts

And now, the results:

Doubles:

1) Eo & DarkAtma ($78 prize)
2) Jackmaster & Ripple ($39 prize)
3) Schlafly & Cookiemonsta ($13)
4) Nicole & Legan
5) Daniel the Seraph & Jimmy
5) Bert & Shinobi
7) Platypus & Goat
7) Roux & Riio
9) FightAdamEevee & Joel
9) Cook & Billy
9) McFly & Teddy
9) King Siegfried & Vista
13) NukemHigh & Razorsled

Singles:

1: Darkatma ($180 prize)
2: Dekuschrub ($90 prize)
3: Shinobi ($30 prize)
4: Ripple
5: Cookiemonsta
5: Riio
7: King Siegfried
7: Schlafly
9: Bert
9: Daniel the Seraph
9: Vista
9: Jackmaster
13: Goat
13: Guts
13: Roux
13: Cook
16: Fightadameevee
16: M
16: Joel
16: Jimmy
21: Shard
21: Billy
21: Potter
21: Poot
21: Tim
26: MOJoe
26: Neo Xion
26: Rolo
26: Eo
26: Platypus

Shout outs to come soon.

Edit: Should also mention that Razorsled, NukemHigh and Loofa attended, but had to drop out of singles due to an emergency. I hope everything turned out alright with you guys.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
First of all, big shoutout to DarkAtma for helping me get things going. I would have definitely not been able to compete in the tourney, and would have been stressing out about things I'm not familiar with if he wasn't there to help.
Shinobi- I've gotten a lot better, but you've gotten a LOT better. Maybe I'll john about the 2 drinks I had before our quick match, but I won't. Congratulations on getting to finals man.
Poot- It was great to have my old friends there with me :) I hope you weren't too overwhelmed with stuff like having Deku in your pool and whatnot. Thanks for recording your organ part the night before too! And I need to get you on the mic next time! PLZ come next time... I'll have you commentate with Atma (who is very serious and insightful) and you would be a perfect compliment.
Potter- Ok, seriously funny stuff on the mic! "JEEEEEZUS!!" LOL. You started going into a story about playing against me last Spring, then trailed off. I figured it was the 10+ beers, plus the astonishment of me getting pwned by Ripple. Next time though, just remember--> pools matches before drinks and we'll keep the tourney moving forward XD
Billy/1-Up- Thanks for keeping the Como crew (aside from bert and shinobi) in line. It was great seeing you again too and playing the night before.
Cook- Thanks for being so desperate to play smash to play melee with us and join the fun! And thanks for putting up the other como guys too. Hope to see you at a possible cabin trip later...
Razorsled, Nukemhigh, Loofa- I didn't get to chat with you guys much, but thanks for making it to doubles. I hope that everything is okay with the situation that came up and all is well with you.
Shard- Those cookies... that honestly took the edge off the stress that night. Cookies are seriously my fave sweets, so... Anyway, you've got a good Samus game! The basics are there. Glad you found us on facebook and i look forward to seeing you at smashfests.
Guts! - It's been years! Such a cool coincidence that I re-met you cuz of cookiemonsta. Thanks for bringing some Waynesville friends along as well! I'm glad you had a fun time. Keep an eye out for those Rolla monthlies as well, since they're so much closer to you.
M- So charismatic! Thanks for the energy in the cheering for those matches too. Hope to see you at future tourneys... maybe I'll make a trip back to good ole' waynesville and catch you guys there sometime.
Ripple- Thanks so much for the insight on the Marth vs Samus MU. I doubt that there many, if any, that know that much from both sides as much as you do. I watched those videos you sent and will def be dissecting those and asking some questions later. Thanks for commentating as well. And I also won't forget how much you jumped out of your chair when I got you with that extended grapple XD
Bert- My first smash buddy on the boards. Thanks for getting me plugged into the community last Spring and helping me get my feet on the ground. You're the best smasher ever at giving compliments. You enjoy seeing people improve, and I can tell it makes you happy when someone else makes a really good move. It's such a great trait that we should all aspire towards.
MOJoe- Thanks for finding us on the FB group. Great meeting you in person. I can tell you're really excited to get on the long road to become a great smasher. Can't wait to start playing you in the smashfests.
Tim- I didn't get to play against you at all. One thing I've learned this tourney is that I need lots of marth practice. Ripple sent me some good Samus/Marth vids, so we should check those out and talk about them sometime.
Riio- My teammate that I love to Dair and fire missles at. Next time, we will definitely place top 3 in doubles. And you did AMAZING in singles bracket! I was so pumped to see you get around Ripple's samus as well as you did.
Daniel the Seraph- One of my goals was to be able to beat your Dorf, but I never got to play against you. Hopefully I'll catch you again soon... i mean, **** you live less than 2 miles from me when school's on break.
FightAdamEevee- Didn't get to chat much, but thanks for coming! I was never into pokemon, but now I get the pun :p
Jimmy- Sorry you had to head out. So close to getting into bracket!
Rolo- It was fun to play samus dittos in pools! 4-letter name, begins with R, Samus main... You are a man of TASTE!
Eo- Such a wide gap between doubles and singles for you XD I actually think I should double check your singles placing to make sure that's right. Either way, you still made a $24 profit that night ;)
Vista- Sorry about that scare for getting into bracket (btw, this is what I told him, "We have a tie between you and guts. We will have a single match, winner makes it into bracket, loser does not. No pressure." Ahh, fun stuff.
Cookiemonsta- Great work taking 5th. Wouldn't expect less from StrongBad's rival :) Thanks for getting off work too! Hope it was well worth it.
King Siegfried- Didn't get to talk much, but thanks for making the long trip all the way out for an unknown tournament by a no-name smasher ;) Hope you got to catch up with Guts a bit.
Schlafly- I can handle your falco, but marth... uhhhg. I had so much marth ownage this tourney. Good stuff man. Hope to see you at more smash fests.
Nicole & Legan - Omg, you guys are good at melee for being brawlers. Cool connection between you (nicole) and Cook and potter and stuff. Hope to see you guys maybe at a brawl & melee tourney sometime
Joel- it was great playing you in pools. Some good stuff happening there! Keep at it.
Dekuschrub- a man called you a "Savant" Friday night. Amazing that you 2-0'd everyone in pools. I need to play you more often and figure out exactly how it is that you read people's minds. Seriously, the 1 time I played you in friendlies, I felt enlightened... frustrated, but enlightened.

Sorry if I forgot about anyone. Lots of new people, lots of names, and I was definitely too frantic to have a conversation or match with everyone. Hope to see all of you plus a lot more at the next tourney.

I wouldn't be finished if I didn't give a giant shout out to STLBarWarz for not only providing the venue FOR FREE, but for also bringing a pro bono AV team to run a live stream with commentary! This is seriously amazing, and by all means their work was worth getting paid much more than even a $10 venue fee per person could have provided. Even with all the planning hiccups, everything turned out well. Of my 2 goals with this tournament, 1 of them was to see if this was a place we could hold regular tourneys, and I'm glad to say, "Mission Comprete!!"

My 2nd goal was to get lots of new smashers to come. We want to grow a competitive smash community, and the only way that happens is when we meet new smashers. I am SO glad to see as many new people as I did. No matter how you did in the tourney, know that you're always welcome at our smash fests, tourneys, road trips, etc... Thank you all so much for coming. See you at the next one.

Riio

Smash Cadet
I had a blast at this tournament, it was great to see everyone. The cookies were awesome, livestream was unexpected and legit, and I'm really happy we're growing the STL melee community. Big thanks to Devin and the people at STLBarWarz and Danno's. Really hope to see even more new faces and old friends at the next one!

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I took those 2 for face value. I thought to myself "a team with a chick in it...pfft. Shouldn't be too hard." Next thing I know We're playing them in Winners Semi's. Go Figure
That was your first mistake. Be glad Corey didn't start yelling at you until you broke comboes. He's my favorite person ever. Nicole is fantastic too.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Big thanks to Devin and Binyan for TOing and setting this up. Livestream was awesome, so I'm hoping that can kinda be a regular at these tournaments. I tried recording singles bracket from my setup, but Pinnacle is like the worst software in the world.

Any chance we might be able to make these a monthly? If not, what about a bi-monthly (and the months in between Rolla could step up and start their monthlies again...hint hint haha)?

Thanks for the kind words Devin!

Atma - I really had no doubts you would make it into finals. You truly are a great player and an even nicer guy. Next time we'll for once get our friendlies in and heck maybe we'll meet in bracket. GL at Apex dude.
Deku - I was seriously taking some notes when you were playing Ripple. My Falco has a looooong way before I'm pleased with it. Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop trying. Friendly me next time.
Shinobi - Good stuff man with 3rd. Get more consistent and then you'll be the SFAT of the Midwest haha. See you in CoMO soon buddy. Fun teaming too!
Ripple - You were much nicer to me this tournament than you were the last one we played at (SMYM 12). Your Marth definitely gave me some troubles and your Samus is just as good. I have some serious problems with those 2 chars so I need to train up harder. Good job getting 4th man. (BTW where's the DK?)
Riio - Always good to see you man. Thanks for letting me try out your Note 2. Those benchmarks were crazy high lol! Like I said I'm looking towards the Note 2 or the Optimus G (maybe even some A15 phones). But anyways, this is a smash site and not a phone one so I should stick to the subject lol. Fun playing you in friendlies and it's kinda obvious that you've gotten better than me, so keep it up! Next time Shinobi and Sinister team, we should team, what say you?
CookieKarl - I just can't beat you lol. Your playstyle completely counters mine. Keep it up dude.
King Brandon - Same goes for you. I have some serious problems with Peach pressuring my shield. You're clearly much better than I, so I'm going to study this matchup hard!
Schlafly - good games in bracket. I was really surprised I beat you seeing as how good you worked me in teams lol. I've never heard of you before, are you an up-and-coming StL smasher?
Seraph - keep practicing man. I see improvement from you each and every time I see you.
Roux - I know I already said this, but thanks for the compliments man. Your Samus continues to improve. Each game we had I think you had my Falco down to its last stock. You're really close. Keep at it! Thanks again for putting on this tournament - so much fun!
Potter - good seeing you again man! Thanks for the invite over after the tournament. I was just so freakin tired. I had to get home haha hope you understand!

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Big thanks to Devin and Binyan for TOing and setting this up. Livestream was awesome, so I'm hoping that can kinda be a regular at these tournaments. I tried recording singles bracket from my setup, but Pinnacle is like the worst software in the world.

Any chance we might be able to make these a monthly? If not, what about a bi-monthly (and the months in between Rolla could step up and start their monthlies again...hint hint haha)?
I am under the impression Danno's wants to continue these. So, we can definitely make more happen. I'll chat with Danno's, get another date set in stone, and notify you guys.

Top Bottom