• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stock/Score Leads Affecting Aura Damage?

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
While I heard that his was removed in Smash 4, I keep hearing rumors that it got patched back in after 1.1.1 or 1.1.3, but it doesn't seem to be the case in my testing. I just can't find out for sure and this is huge.
If I'm playing a 2-stock 1v1 and we both get the other up to 100% but I get KO'd first and has to start over at 0%, I am now only doing only 2/3 damage and knockback. I'm gonna have to get my final stock's damage back up to at least 75% to be able to KO him. At the same time, being at a high percent from before puts my opponent into Rage and I'm in danger of losing my last stock even earlier than the first. So basically, losing the first stock is practically game over right off the bat.
But in Brawl, losing that stock gave you another aura boost so you weren't completely harmless after losing a stock early.

Does anyone know, definitively, if being behind a stock gets you any type of aura boost in Smash 4? I'm seriously going crazy trying to find out.
OK so I actually did some sloppy testing in 1P vs 2P Smash Mode Free For All in 5 stock matches vs a Mewtwo.

When Lucario is at 0% with both fighters at 5 stocks, a fresh uncharged Fsmash does 11%. Then it stales into 9%, 8%, 7%, and so on if Lucario stays at 0%
Now, if Lucario loses 1 stock to go down 4 to 5 vs the Mewtwo, a fresh uncharged Fsmash does 12%, then 10%, 9%, 8%, and so on
Then if Lucario has only 1 stock to Mewtwo's 5 stocks, the fresh uncharged Fsmash does 14%, staling to 12%, 11%... etc, if Lucario is at 0%.

As far as the opposite...
If the Mewtwo loses a stock and Lucario is up 5 stocks to 4, a fresh Fsmash does 10%, staling to 9%, 8%, etc, if Lucario is at 0%.
If the Mewtwo has only one stock while Lucario has all 5, a fresh Fsmash does 7%, 7%, 6%, 6%, etc, if Lucario is at 0%. (Seems like at this low damage, it stales slower.)

Then I added a Greninja as a 3rd player in Free For All and noticed something.
Like before, with Lucario at 0% and all players at 5 stocks, Lucario's fresh Fsmash does 11%, then 9%.
However, with Lucario losing only one stock to be at 4 while both the other two are at 5, his fresh Fsmash now does 14% fresh, then stales to 12% while he's at 0%. That's the aura boost equivalent of being down 1 stock to 5 in a 1 vs 1 match.
So then if Lucario is down to only 1 stock at 0% while both Mewtwo and Greninja have all 5 stocks... Lucario's fresh Fsmash does 17%, staling to 15%.

But if Lucario has the lead against multiple opponents...
If both Greninja and Mewtwo are down a stock while Lucario still has all 5, his fresh Fsmash does 10%, staling to 8%.
If both Greninja and Mewtwo are down to just one stock while Lucario still has all 5, his fresh Fsmash does 8%, staling to 7%.

The other thing is that this doesn't seem to apply only to stock matches. When I set it to a time battle and SD'd with Lucario 4 times (to simulate a 1 to 5 stock lead for Mewtwo), Lucario's fresh Fsmash did 14%, then staled to 13%, 12%, etc, while Lucario was a 0%.

I only spent like 30 min on this so it's not in depth testing, but this is pretty evident here that the differences in Lucario's stock counts relative to his opponent's does in fact affect his aura. It appears it affects it even more in matches with multiple fighters, and it applies even to time matches based on Lucario's current KOs/Falls score.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Has this been looked into yet in this game? I didn't get much of a response to this in the Q&A topic a while back. This looks like something that should be included in the Aura Damage Chart...

Last edited:

AlmostDoug

Smash Cadet
NNID
AlmostDoug
3DS FC
1048-8205-2086
This is a known thing that's actually part of a Doubles strategy, because the game treats your partners the same as your enemies for stocks, so if, for example, you SD two stocks and your partner is still at three while your enemies are down a stock each, you get the two stock deficit boost to your aura.
What I don't know is if anyone's experimented to figure out exactly how it changes your aura but I'm sure someone has.

Top Bottom