• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stop grabbing!!

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Only mods for that section (including supermods and admins etc.) and the poster himself can view the edit history.

But yeah... that picture was not appropriate.

Enough about the picture. If anyone wants to see the picture that badly, ask Matt to pm it to you. Otherwise, lets get back on topic.

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
I saw that image and i didn't find it offensive. The only people i see getting offended by it is smasherx74 and maybe matts! but that guy jokes around all the time.

Typ

Smash Rookie
Hey!

I have the exact same "problem" with some of my friends. It's not that I lose to it, it's just that it's a pain and pretty boring to play against. I've gotten really good with Link though, since he works well against those grabby *******s who wont play with anyone but Pika, Fox or Kirby. :dizzy:

Playing as Link - Keep to the air and frequently throw bombs in combination with the boomerang. Bomb hit+land+Fsmash+Returning boomerang+Fsmash!

Playing as Fox - Laser+grab or dash+grab! Just grab em back until they get pissed at your grabbing and realizes how lame they are.

Playing as Kirby/Jiggly - You own the sky. Working in the air prevents them from grabbing, simple as that. :chuckle:

»»»Ze££«««

Smash Rookie
Hey!

I have the exact same "problem" with some of my friends. It's not that I lose to it, it's just that it's a pain and pretty boring to play against. I've gotten really good with Link though, since he works well against those grabby *******s who wont play with anyone but Pika, Fox or Kirby. :dizzy:

Playing as Link - Keep to the air and frequently throw bombs in combination with the boomerang. Bomb hit+land+Fsmash+Returning boomerang+Fsmash!

Playing as Fox - Laser+grab or dash+grab! Just grab em back until they get pissed at your grabbing and realizes how lame they are.

Playing as Kirby/Jiggly - You own the sky. Working in the air prevents them from grabbing, simple as that. :chuckle:
hehe your totally right my friend

Battlecow

Play to Win
To typ/zell

We get a lot of people saying this. And by a lot, I mean A LOT. At a certain level of skill, grabs-being the quick little ****ers that they are-appear unbeatable, and are very annoying. Nine out of ten first posts on this forum (exaggeration, but w/e) are along the lines of "my friend uses ______ and spams grabs. It's annoying how do I beat it?" The best advice we can give you involves short-hopping and using aerial attacks, and spacing correctly, or else spamming projectiles or countering them with an even more grabby character (DK). But really, the only advice you need is to play a lot and get better. Watch some vids, play with good people, and someday you'll be good enough to understand grabs and how to counter them, and they will be just another move. In the meantime, stop crying "Cheap".

Thanks, Battlecow

ooRainpuddlesoo

Smash Cadet
hey thanks cow!!! (poop noise) ur a troll kid, just stop. To those who actually submited helpful hints thankyou, i found alot of these useful. I also main pikachu because he helps me against faster characters. I dont understand y kirby is considered boring, but thats your opinion, who are some good characters to transist to from kirby and pikachu? I wish I could play link and yoshi well lol

rpotts

Smash Lord
wtf battlecow wasn't trolling. Use anyone you want, but after dropping my kirby main, i switched to a falcon/fox/pika main, because I like fast, aerial combo characters.

A lot of people consider kirby boring because they are used to play boring kirby players. A lot of kirby mains face away from you and spam utilt and fsmash, then wait at the ledge for an all to easy dair spike. Hes also very good at retreating and camping, which i personally find boring to play against.

Hey!

wtf pika, kirby and fox are links 3 worst matchups. :confused:

Typ

Smash Rookie
hey thanks cow!!! (poop noise)
Not to seem immature or anythin but I lold :laugh:

I also main pikachu because he helps me against faster characters I wish I could play link and yoshi well lol
Start playing with Link and Yoshi then! I love playing with Link even though he's a bottom tier character. :bee:

wtf pika, kirby and fox are links 3 worst matchups. :confused:
Unless you're a Link GOD!!

Seriously though, I think Link works very well against those who are grab hungry since I've got a keen aim with the boomer and the bombs. Because of that I can get some really nasty combos and keep some distance even though Link is pretty slow in general.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Pika owns Link when he lands: U-Smash, grab, U-Tilt at >20%, or when Link goes offstage.
Kirby owns Link when he lands anything that goes into U-Tilt, or when Link goes offstage.
Fox owns Link because nobody can camp a good Fox, and Fox combos on Link aren't really that hard even when you suck with Fox. Also when he goes offstage.

Link isn't slow at all. Brawl Ganon is slow.

Typ

Smash Rookie
Pika owns Link when he lands: U-Smash, grab, U-Tilt at >20%, or when Link goes offstage.
Kirby owns Link when he lands anything that goes into U-Tilt, or when Link goes offstage.
Fox owns Link because nobody can camp a good Fox, and Fox combos on Link aren't really that hard even when you suck with Fox. Also when he goes offstage.

Link isn't slow at all. Brawl Ganon is slow.
Well, stayin away form Utilts and edgecampin is a mission, especially on small maps which is Links greatest weakness imo. It's taken me 11 years to get good with Link, so I'm pretty good with him if I can say so myself - and I know if you face me you'll agree. I'm not saying I'll beat an expert fox or pika easily with Link, I'm just sayin I won't get ****ed over cus of what character I'm playin.

He's slower than Pika/Kirby/Fox.

link does good against kirby on hyrule lol, like advantage good
Link does exeptionally well on large maps :bee: Me and my friends mostly play Hyrule, Starfox, DK or the mario stages. None of us really likes the smaller ones unless we play 1v1, which we usually don't.

ooRainpuddlesoo

Smash Cadet
I need some good fox ideas, how do u do work with his z cancel? and can someone deeply explain how to shine cancel? I like characters who can spike, soi dont know who my next main will be, thank all of you for posting helpful hints, and not just posting how "good" u are or how "bad" i am, i have a job, i do forums for fun

smakis

Smash Ace
shine canceling = jumping then shine, the shine cancels the upwards momentum while landing cancels the shine

ooRainpuddlesoo

Smash Cadet
ok so jump, shine, then what happens? does the shining in the air give me quick recovery? or do u shine before landing? or can u shine at multiple oppurtunities?

ooRainpuddlesoo

Smash Cadet
agreed kirbys grab isnt very useful, the best use i get out of it, is a set up for an Ub spike. I mean its not the worst grab in the game, but its no pika,ness, kong.

rpotts

Smash Lord
to shine cancel, slide your finger from c-left to B while holding down on the stick. This should be down as quickly as you can. Fox, should barely leave the ground, shine, then touch the ground cancelling all lag.

As for z cancelling "tips" with fox-
practice short hop dair z cancel

try not to mash z, just hit it once right before you hit the ground, advantages of this are less of a chance of shielding once you hit the ground and a easy way to time your next ground attack, i.e. sh, dair, just before you hit the ground z,a or z,r or whatever.

practice SH first hit uair
SH, wait til you're falling, uair, zcancel immediately, repeat.

Typ

Smash Rookie
Kirby's grab kinda sucks ~_~
You're right, but Fgrab can make a mean combo for 2v2s.

to shine cancel, slide your finger from c-left to B while holding down on the stick. This should be down as quickly as you can. Fox, should barely leave the ground, shine, then touch the ground cancelling all lag.

As for z cancelling "tips" with fox-
practice short hop dair z cancel.
Those are great tips! :bee: Had no idea you could shine cancel like that! Gonna work on that short hop dair cancel aswell. Cheers!

ooRainpuddlesoo

Smash Cadet
so whats the point of SH to shine over and over? Shouldnt I be using forward a to z cancel repeat? or uair z cancel rep[eat

rpotts

Smash Lord
I'm pretty confused by your question. there is little point in sh shine. There isn't anything you SHOULD be doing, just stuff you COULD be doing. z canceled fairs chain nicely together, try ending a fair chain with upsmash.

Battlecow

Play to Win
hey thanks cow!!! (poop noise) ur a troll kid, just stop. To those who actually submited helpful hints thankyou, i found alot of these useful. I also main pikachu because he helps me against faster characters. I dont understand y kirby is considered boring, but thats your opinion, who are some good characters to transist to from kirby and pikachu? I wish I could play link and yoshi well lol
*Takes deep breaths*

*Reminds himself that he, too, was once a hyperactive 8-year-old*

*Laughs hysterically at the "5a" who showed up on Kaillera a week ago and who just made a thread entitled "Stop grabbing!!"*

Me and my friends recently dusted off old school ssb64,
Im considered like a 5a if u read that post....
:laugh:

NTA

Smash Lord
Me and my friends recently dusted off old school ssb64, its still just as fun as when i was in middleschool!! we love games that have high combo strings like this and mvc, but some of our other friends just like winning... what i mean is were trying to get better at juggles and infinites(which we can do on cpu and newbs) but its hard when all they do is GRAB, GRAB, GRAB. In short, what are sum tips to dominate these grabby basterds!! Im considered like a 5a if u read that post....
lol i saw u in the server today :)

rpotts

Smash Lord
CF has a much bigger advantage vs. Link than Kirby does.
I agree, speed really helps you fight projectile spam. Kirby gets owned in air and on ground by campy projectile link. Falcon can just dash around and space around them.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
kirby is nice and slow so link has time to throw **** at him all day

Real kirby's like the great matts know how to camp on the top plat forum in hyrule and wait for you miss Z cancel to fast fall dair. lol :laugh:

SS3 Chaos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Presid3nt_Khaos
Yo seriously who the F plays Smash Bros??? Dont get me wrong it was and still is a great game but my god you arent proving anything by fighting people on Super Smash Brothers. That game is over 12 years old hahahahaaha.

mother_brain

Smash Rookie
ITT: Godlike 12 year old kids.
why are so many ****ing kids showing up on the ssb64 section of smashboards? shouldn't they be too busy freaking out about those crazy motion sensor controls on the wii their parents bought them for doing their homework? serious questions

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
The guy joined on May and he has a DBZ name. If you take him seriously and respond to him instead of ignoring him, well then you deserve falling for it.

teganyavo

Smash Rookie
PC is the pinnacle of graphics v gameplay. Bethesda and Valve, what more do you want

Besides SquareSOFT and Rare, anyway :(

Top Bottom