• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stop saying Nintendo, its Sora!

Charzendat

Smash Apprentice
This may be locked but I am annoyed by this confusion people have with who is making this game. Will people please stop syaing Nintendo when talking about Smash Bros. Brawl. Nintendo have little to do with the production and development of SSBB. SSBB is made by Sora Ltd. a new second party company specifically built for the development of SSBB. It even says on the official site.

This is the official site for the Wii game Super Smash Bros. Brawl — a place where I offer personal, straight-from-the-creator reports on the project.
-Masahiro Sakurai (Sora Ltd.)
So the next time you want to say "wow this looks great" or "curse you for not giving us new characters", don't congratulate/blame Nintendo, congratulate/blame Sora.

Thank You.

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
Sora isn't making this game. Sora is the company that Sakurai formed after he left Nintendo, but they aren't making the game. Miyamoto introduced Sakurai to the team that is making Brawl, and it would make absolutely no sense if Miyamoto introduced Sakurai to his own team.

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
All content on this website, including articles, artwork, screen shots, graphics, logos, digital downloads and other files, may not be used on any other web site, in any publications, in public performances, in connection with any product or service that is not Nintendo's, in any manner that is likely to cause confusion among customers, in any manner that disparages or discredits Nintendo, or in any manner that is otherwise exploitative for any commercial purpose or that otherwise infringes Nintendo's intellectual property rights.
[Nintendo Copyright Policy]
:psycho: :psycho: :psycho: :psycho:

Charzendat

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I did read that. That just says that Nintendo owns all the stuff that appears in the game, not that they made it. Like when Rare where making the Donkey Kong games, Nintendo owned all the stuff within the game but they didn't make it.

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
Sora isn't making this game. Sora is the company that Sakurai formed after he left Nintendo, but they aren't making the game. Miyamoto introduced Sakurai to the team that is making Brawl, and it would make absolutely no sense if Miyamoto introduced Sakurai to his own team.
QFT & E.:lick:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
. Will people please stop syaing Nintendo when talking about Smash Bros. Brawl. Nintendo have little to do with the production and development of SSBB. SSBB is made by Sora Ltd. a new second party company specifically built for the development of SSBB. It even says on the official site.
Yea you have a point there, I mean Nintendo may own it, but has hardly anything with the development.

-peace out-

WR3K

Smash Ace
nintendo isnt as directly involved as say mario or zelda.... but they do play a role, it isnt totally independant....

nintendo would let a rpojct this big go on unchecked

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whatever company is making the game (I thought it was Sora but Greenmanba gave me second thoughts) are a part of Nintendo, and are an extension of Nintendo. So it's perfectly alright to say "Nintendo" when you mean the second-party that's making Smash Bros. It's like Saying Konami when you mean Kojima productions, or Saying Capcom when you mean Clover. They're still true statements. It's easier not to be so rigid about this.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
That would be like saying Intelligent Systems made Super Metroid, not Nintendo.
Was that a reply to me?

If it is: Um.. I didn't say anything like that. I'm just acknowledging that Second parties (Intelligent Systems, Sora) are extensions of First parties (Nintendo). Every Intelligent Systems game is a Nintendo game, but not every Nintendo game is a IS game.

Notice, I gave some examples of Second parties. I'm not implying that Kojima productions made Castlevania, I'm just pointing out the fact that Kojima Productions is still a part of Konami, who in turn make Castlevania games.

Every Square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square. dig?

killbeast301

Smash Lord
If you look at the bottom of the official site, you will see that the stuff is copyright (sp?) of nintendo and HAL labs, not Sora.

Miyamoto introduced Sakurai to the team that is making Brawl, and it would make absolutely no sense if Miyamoto introduced Sakurai to his own team.
That too.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I didn't know that Sora put the information at the NINTENDO Summit under embargo. Well, I guess that doesn't matter, because there was no information to begin with..

hellsoldierx15

Smash Journeyman
You know, when I saw the topic title, I was nearly positive the topic creator was going to attribute the creation of Brawl to Sora from Kingdom Hearts.

Needless to say, I am much relieved.
i got that indication too :p

you make a good point. i never heard any complaints about HAL with their making of SSB and SSBM (which there isn't, these games are flawless) it was all "nintendo this, nintendo that"

i see the point. ill have to keep that in mind.

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
The only reason the Sora mention is there is because Sakurai is not a Nintendo employee anymore. However, outside of Sakurai, the entire team working on the game is Nintendo's HAL Laboratories. Basically, this is exactly the same group that made the first two Smash Bros games.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Wrong. Read GreenMambas post.

Anyone who's been at all keeping up with this game knows Sora is Sakurai's team. Nintendo hired Sakurai, not his whole studio. (This is as far as we know, but yes, there's a chance at least a few other Sora members are working on it too.) Did you even read the first Dojo site? There was a section called "How this game came to be made," that explains it pretty clearly. They have yet to announce the core development team and Sakurai actually makes a point of this, saying we'll have to wait and be surprised or something. But yeah, basically what GreenMamba said.

However, outside of Sakurai, the entire team working on the game is Nintendo's HAL Laboratories. Basically, this is exactly the same group that made the first two Smash Bros games.
Also wrong. Sakurai only ever said that Hal Labs allowed him to use the development tools from Melee. If they announce Hal Labs is actually working on Smash, it would be real news to everyone. As others have mentioned Hal has to be credited, as they created the franchise. Below is just a little quote from Japan's Weekly Famitsu via IGN's report. (Sorry, can't find a better one, the original Dojo had more.)

"The new studio hasn't started completely from scratch, though. Nintendo's HAL Lab development studio, Sakurai's former place of employ, has given Sakurai and his fledging crew full access to the development materials and tools from the development of the GameCube Smash Bros.."

Top Bottom