• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Story Mode & Adventure Mode~ Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I prefer sub-titles to voice acting. If they do have voice acting, make it like Galaxy where there is very little.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'd like the next story mode(assuming there is one) to have dialogue of some kind. A lot of Nintendo's characters aren't really "silent", they just haven't been voiced before. I think it would be good to have cutscenes like they are in Fire Emblem or NamcoXCapcom

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Who do people think should be the Villain?
Wasn't a fan of Taboo at all. Would much prefer someone we know.
The hunter from Duck Hunt ala The Most Dangerous Game.

I'd like a nice mix between Melee's Adventure mode and the Subspace Emissary. Both could have been loads better. Melee's was short and repetitive (if you wanted to complete it as every single character), and Brawl's was just plain repetitive and lacked a good story that should have been there. I propose something like this:

[COLLAPSE="AWESOME IDEA"]Each character has their own Adventure mode. Each character's adventure is about as long as Melee's (maybe shorter or even longer in some cases). There are very few cut scenes in each adventure mode. Each will have an opening scene and an ending scene, and some might even have a couple in between. The cut scenes don't need to be CGI... they could be of the same quality as Melee's extremely simple cut scenes.

Some character's adventures may be similar to each other, but no character will have the same exact adventure. Most of the time, a character's adventure stages will be inspired by their own games, but some characters may use locations form other series.

Now here's the cool part... every character's adventure will connect with each other in some way. Perhaps after completing every adventure, a "final adventure" is unlocked in which you can choose a "team" of characters to pass through the final stages and defeat the final boss. Or maybe after completing each adventure you unlock a second adventure for each character where some are teamed up together. For example, if Mario and Luigi team up at the end of their first adventure, they would have the same second adventure, and you can play it as both characters. There can even be third adventures or fourth adventures until all characters are teamed up to take-on the final boss.[/COLLAPSE]

This would decrease the repetitiveness of previous adventure modes and maybe bring in a bit of the true Nintendo cross-over adventure feel that we all expected from the Subspace Emissary.
Reminds me of what BlazBlue has done, except more action and less visual novel gameplay. I still think BlazBlue should be the standard for fighting game stories, at least how they're told.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Before I forget again. Once I had a dream about the story mode, and it was all around seven cogs, of seven sizes, seven shades of grey (reddish grey, orangish grey, yellowish grey, greenish grey, blueish grey, purpleish grey and pinkish grey) and that have to be placed on a wall in the same position of the seven stars of the Ursa Major. Too cliched?

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I've said this various times in places I don't even know, but I want actual good platforming in these adventure modes, at least for nimbler characters.

Not random platforms or ladders, I'd like well-thought out levels that put to test anything a character has to move around. If C. Falcon can walljump, I'd love walljumping sections in an adventure mode. Also heard that they slowed down some characters in SSE, probably so in 2 player mode fast characters wouldn't drastically outrun slower characters. **** that.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
^Quote that.
I'd also like if there were some riddles through the levels. Like for example having to pass though a series of doors in a precise sequence or you will sent back to the start room, or having to jump on a series of flying fiends to reach a door hidden in a high place. Just to mention two classic nintendian riddles.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
^Quote that.
I'd also like if there were some riddles through the levels. Like for example having to pass though a series of doors in a precise sequence or you will sent back to the start room, or having to jump on a series of flying fiends to reach a door hidden in a high place. Just to mention two classic nintendian riddles.
Obviously Brawl's mechanics didn't allow for such things... but imagine if you could footstool indefinitely with a guaranteed fixed rate of height given from the footstool? That would allow for your 'flying fiends' idea which is a decent one, though you'd have to put it in with characters that couldn't abuse it (Meta Knight, Pit, R.O.B., Lucas, etc.) just from being able to get high really easily.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'd like to see something like the Subspace Emissary, at least as far as epic cutscene moments go. But I'd like to see something with the Hands more. Like, Crazy Hand never showed up in the SSE. What's his story?

Avocado14

Smash Cadet
SSE was a lot of fun, but it could be so much better. I'd prefer to fight characters from different Nintendo franchises, not just Mario and Smash Bros enemies. Also, I'd prefer that Master Hand was the main villain and he attempted what Tabuu did but with Wolf, K. Rool, and maybe Ghirahim as his henchmen, but Bowser, Ganondorf, and Wario should still play villainous roles as well.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
SSE was a lot of fun, but it could be so much better. I'd prefer to fight characters from different Nintendo franchises, not just Mario and Smash Bros enemies. Also, I'd prefer that Master Hand was the main villain and he attempted what Tabuu did but with Wolf, K. Rool, and maybe Ghirahim as his henchmen, but Bowser, Ganondorf, and Wario should still play villainous roles as well.

Are you suggesting that Tabuu could form a Nintendo version of the Legion of Doom that is larger and more complete than what the SSE had?

I support this idea. I mean, even if they weren't all playable, there are baddies out there that could be boss battles.

Avocado14

Smash Cadet
Sort of, yes. But I'd prefer that Tabuu didn't return and Master Hand was the leader.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Do you remember last part of Subspace Emissary, "The Great Labirith"? I'd love if the new adventure mode is all like that, at least!
Let's hear this: Each character/group of characters starts with his own map (like the one in the great Labirinth), that gets bigger and bigger.
When groups of characters fuse by crossing their path, even their maps fuse into a bigger map, till, when there is only one group of chars, by the fusion of all of them, there is only one HUUUGE map. So huge you have to zoom and to scroll, and eventually to place signpoints.
Also, as the story goes, even the colour of the sky changes to indicate the passage of time, explained even by a clock and a text with a type machine sound like in Ace Attorney

Green Hill
6:00 AM

Donut Plain
8:00 AM

Uncanny Valley
10:00 AM

Etc.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I didn't read through all the posts in this thread so if you already posted it, good or you.But I always thought of having an adventure mode for each character.Like if you select mario he will have his own story,or if you choose link he has his own adventure mode.It would prevent that cheep way to unlock characters. But I still like an improved SSE story.

:phone:

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I hope we don't have anything as ****ty as Subspace Emissary again. Just make Adventure Mode 2.0.

Get rid of the storytelling. I'm afraid that any attempt to make a Smash storyline aside from it being "it's just a kid playing with toys" will just result in another disgusting Asperger's deviantart fanfiction quality piece of **** that was SSE. It was just as bad as ****ing Sonic games.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I didn't read through all the posts in this thread so if you already posted it, good or you.But I always thought of having an adventure mode for each character.Like if you select mario he will have his own story,or if you choose link he has his own adventure mode.It would prevent that cheep way to unlock characters. But I still like an improved SSE story.

What if the story mode become unlockable by unlocking all the characters that don't explicitily requires to play the story mode to be unlocked?
Let's say we have fifty chars. Ten are istantly avaiable, twenty has to be unlocked before the story mode is avaiable and twenty has to be found in the story mode in order to complete it.
You know what bugged me of The Subspace Emissary? That you find some characters only after the story is finished. This time I want all of them inside the story.
Also, since istantly there could be a simpler story mode, sometime more linear and plotless like, as the guy above me said, an Adventure Mode 2.0, playable by any avaiable char and the same char all over the path.
While the second story mode could be like a Subspace Emissary 2.0.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I hope we don't have anything as ****ty as Subspace Emissary again. Just make Adventure Mode 2.0.

Get rid of the storytelling. I'm afraid that any attempt to make a Smash storyline aside from it being "it's just a kid playing with toys" will just result in another disgusting Asperger's deviantart fanfiction quality piece of **** that was SSE. It was just as bad as ****ing Sonic games.
This is a more pessimistic way to view it. :-P

But I disagree. While it is hard, a proper story is achievable. The likelihood that something widely accepted as good will happen isn't as likely, though. :-/

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
This is a more pessimistic way to view it. :-P

But I disagree. While it is hard, a proper story is achievable. The likelihood that something widely accepted as good will happen isn't as likely, though. :-/
I think it's just as likely as the 2012 popular myth. It's just a product of wishful thinking. :_

But really, I liked Smash 64 and Melee's concept because it was just so cute and simple. It was just a kid playing with his toys. Brawl took a turn for that awkward kid that makes his toys hump.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I think it's just as likely as the 2012 popular myth. It's just a product of wishful thinking. :_

But really, I liked Smash 64 and Melee's concept because it was just so cute and simple. It was just a kid playing with his toys. Brawl took a turn for that awkward kid that makes his toys hump.
it IS wishful thinking but I don't think Sakurai is completely oblivious to criticism... I hope. :p

But the old SSB4 thread and the wii-U thread and even here to an extent has succeeded somewhat in making a decent story mode. Of course the chances of that happening are ridiculously slim BUT what we showed was that it could be done.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
So far it seems most of us have agreed with many elements proposed here

But I just had one question and I apologize if this has been mentioned. Would everyone be OK with the concept of individual story lines of each character; having alternate/branching paths and different endings; within this adventure mode full of intersecting Nintendo Universes? Obviously, this will include various, unique, and different cut-scenes.

Of course; there will always be the "universal/true" path/ending that applies to all the characters coming together. I won't neglect that

Imagine you play as Wario's side. Rather than going through the traditional "true/universal smash" path and ending; you're free to choose where to go and what to do from the very start and have different experiences than the norms

Ex: Play as Wario for the quest of greed. You eventually beat everyone up along the way; turning them to statues; and adding them to your "collection." In the end you beat the villans as well; and you're greeted with a "True Wario" ending with Wario back at his gold/jewel, treasure and trophy infested castle laughing

Or in another instance; unintentionally saving the day and turning you into a hero with a potential comical end?

You see where I'm getting at?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
MasterMushroom: Very splendid idea which can be quite deep. And I think I'd be just willing to do that as Wario. Maybe because I get to be evil towards everyone and freaking havoc just to get all the goodies and being mean. Also seeing there's Tales Of-director doing this maybe this doesn't seem too farfetched if we want a good story.

I wonder how this would play towards every character though, not much of them are anti-heroes like Wario.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think one one main reasons of SSBB having a team storyline insted of individual storylines of each character is for the big amount of them. If it was done individually each story would have been forced to match the others, like in the two Sonic Adventures, only more than six times the same story.
Instead a team story line allowed for few choices. And I'd like the story mode of SSB4 to work like that. But over nine times better.
I want different endings too:

Sad ending: The day is saved but the very most of characters have died to archive that
Medium ending: The day is saved but some of characters have died to archive that
Happy ending: The day is saved and all of the characters too

Or else: different endings with different secret characters discovered and involved in the storyline
(just because you thought play the story mode would be a cheap way to unlock secret characters)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Give it the Avengers treatment or the Watchmen treatment.

Other than that, just make it fun and fresh, instead of stale and boring. Make it tight and great instead of loose and awful.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I think one one main reasons of SSBB having a team storyline insted of individual storylines of each character is for the big amount of them. If it was done individually each story would have been forced to match the others, like in the two Sonic Adventures, only more than six times the same story.
Considering Sakurai has Yosh i t o Higuchi (Producer & Director of the Tales Series) as well as Tetsuya Akatsuka (Producer and Director of Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs); it won't be a problem in implementing a concept such as intersecting + individual stories. Those two individuals, especially Higuchi; would make this a cinch :awesome:

EDIT: Why did the the text censor Higuchi's first name? @_@

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Considering Sakurai has Yosh i t o Higuchi (Producer & Director of the Tales Series) as well as Tetsuya Akatsuka (Producer and Director of Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs); it won't be a problem in implementing a concept such as intersecting + individual stories. Those two individuals, especially Higuchi; would make this a cinch :awesome:

Because it has the word sh*t in it, and because it can't see when dirty words aren't actually dirty.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm so interested now to see what the story mode comes out like. Though I hope it won't be some super-deep story mess. Just something iof a epic story we can bite on with enjoyment yet chew on even deeper than it is.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

O well! If there will be enough space in the Wii U and in the disk for all that stuff I would like it very much.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So far it seems most of us have agreed with many elements proposed here

But I just had one question and I apologize if this has been mentioned. Would everyone be OK with the concept of individual story lines of each character; having alternate/branching paths and different endings; within this adventure mode full of intersecting Nintendo Universes? Obviously, this will include various, unique, and different cut-scenes.

Of course; there will always be the "universal/true" path/ending that applies to all the characters coming together. I won't neglect that

Imagine you play as Wario's side. Rather than going through the traditional "true/universal smash" path and ending; you're free to choose where to go and what to do from the very start and have different experiences than the norms

Ex: Play as Wario for the quest of greed. You eventually beat everyone up along the way; turning them to statues; and adding them to your "collection." In the end you beat the villans as well; and you're greeted with a "True Wario" ending with Wario back at his gold/jewel, treasure and trophy infested castle laughing

Or in another instance; unintentionally saving the day and turning you into a hero with a potential comical end?

You see where I'm getting at?
that is what i was thinking of, like each character gets their own story.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
One story mode change that would both improve the 'fun' factor -and- allow for alternate storylines would be the ability to play as the villains, at least during set portions. During a hero vs. villain battle, the player could choose their character, rather than be forced into the former role. It's certainly a better idea than locking the villains away from players until the last level.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I presume if you had the option to play as the hero or the villain, there would be multiple endings that would parallel your choices. Some choices would even be required to unlock certain content like stages or characters. The idea is kinda like how Shadow the Hedgehog did it, except maybe Super Smash Bros. would do it better.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think one idea to accomodate both the "play as your favorite char" and the "multiple choice" options is if the story mode is made in two parts:
The first half starts from the viewpoint of the character you selected and has a single path (with eventual subquests that allow you to gain extra items but don't change the storyline) till the whole team is reunited. From then forward the story is the same for all the chars (like in Subspace Emissary) but has multiple choices.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm pretty interested to see how Sakurai, Namco Bandai and the team will create the story mode for SSB4. Hopefully this will be better than the Subspace Emissary.

grizby2

Smash Lord
one part i did not like about the SSE is that the music tracks were a bit random to obtain. if i can unlock music tracks in regular versus mode, then why are some of them in SSE? some people miss out on content thats used to enjoy the game because 1. theres no list of any MISSING tracks. and 2. unlocking anything in SSE was just as confusing as playing through SSE.

if there MUST be unlockable music in a story mode, then it should be unlocked by means of completing a certain stage, as opposed to having to look for a cd on the ground that will vanish if you dont reach it in time. :|

I... I just love my music okay?! its not like its a playable characters! it shouldn't be TOO difficult to unlock music.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I didn't think Subspace was that bad, in fact, I like how it brought all (except 3) of the characters together toward a common goal

Hopefully the next story mode will do something similar to that

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
if there MUST be unlockable music in a story mode, then it should be unlocked by means of completing a certain stage, as opposed to having to look for a cd on the ground that will vanish if you dont reach it in time. :|
Or they could simply make the goddamn CD appear more frequently.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
one part i did not like about the SSE is that the music tracks were a bit random to obtain. if i can unlock music tracks in regular versus mode, then why are some of them in SSE? some people miss out on content thats used to enjoy the game because 1. theres no list of any MISSING tracks. and 2. unlocking anything in SSE was just as confusing as playing through SSE.

I... I just love my music okay?! its not like its a playable characters! it shouldn't be TOO difficult to unlock music.
music unlocked through random CDs can be obtained in both Vs. and SSE and any other mode without restrictions. alternatively, build a CD factory in Stage Builder.

only one song was exclusively unlocked via SSE, which was Ike's Theme, by having Ike join your SSE party.

MushroomKiller

Smash Cadet
I've been reading through a lot of the posts that discussed the flaws of SSE, and while I do agree that many of them are valid points which I agree with 100%, I didn't see any which mentioned what I consider one of the greatest flaws of SSE: Focusing too much on an individual character (Hit me if someone actually DID mention this and I missed it).

What I mean is that for a franchise that sports a plethora of Nintendo stars all mixed in one game, some characters sure were cheated of a decent starring role. Throughout the adventure I felt dissatisfied that some of my favorite characters like Olimar, Yoshi, and the Ice Climbers had little to do with the story, as if they were thrown in for the sake of the fact that they exist as playable characters. At the same time, many of the characters got a bit TOO much screen time, the Kirby characters in particular. Consider the part of the SSE where Kirby revives in the Subspace and rescues a good portion of the cast. Why'd they give Kirby that role? I mean, he already beat/gotten beat up by Mario, rescued a princess, saved Mario/Pit and Link/Yoshi from King Dedede, and destroyed a chunk of that huge warship Ganondorf and Bowser was in. Was it really necessary to have Kirby reprise the role of a savior again? One could argue that Kirby was the only character that fits, since he's able to ingest inedible stuff, but then I'd just point to Yoshi and say, "Why not give the role to him? He was there when Kirby swallowed the badge, and Yoshi is equally famous for ingesting things as Kirby is." And who said that the badge had to be eaten anyway? Mario, Link, or Pit could have just as easily pinned the badge on themselves.

Another example is when King Dedede takes on Bowser in the Subspace by himself. I mean sure, making him come up with these cool inventions of reviving fallen Smashers is fair, since King Dedede wouldn't have a pivotal role in the storyline otherwise, but did Sakurai really have to make him the only one capable of fighting Bowser? Seriously, there's no excuse: Ness and Luigi were perfectly fine and as tired as Dedede after reviving a chunk of the cast, and they were right there when Dedede took on Bowser. So what gives? Ness already had a decent role in the story at that point, so I can close one eye if Ness was barred from fighting, but man, Luigi sure got the cold shoulder. The least they could have done was to let Luigi be the one fight Bowser, since he has no important role otherwise.

Oh, and I totally love how Ness and Luigi were degraded to King Dedede's dogs as they immediately run to his aid when Wario attacks him. Must be Sakurai's secret desire, that his average-at-best series would one day be considered to be superior to the Mother and Mario series. In your dreams, Sakurai. In your dreams.

Anyway, that's my biggest pet peeve with the SSE, that certain characters were given the shaft in favor of letting others shine. If it weren't for this the adventure mode would have at least been mildly enjoyable for me. Hopefully they fix this in the next installment - introducing individual storylines for each character would fix this problem perfectly - though I doubt this will happen, since Sakurai is once again in charge of the development. I'm expecting to see a story where King Dedede makes every Nintendo character become his slaves, and it's up to Kirby, Meta Knight, and Pit to save the day. Because Sakurai's totally not biased to his own characters, ei? (Yeah, I know he didn't come up with Pit, but he did revive a long-dormant series)

Retaliation

Smash Cadet
From now on at the end of every Nintendo game (post-credits of course) have Mario, wearing all black and an eye-patch, ask the main character if they've heard of the Super Smash Brothers initiative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom