• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Story Mode & Adventure Mode~ Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hypercat: What the heck, that's one hell of a dream. But it's also a super-great game element. (-lvl-)

Checking on Tales Of-games now, I've wondered how would there "skits", though even if Habanero had already pointed at the dialogue aspect from Uprising working in the same manner, but yeah. Maybe I'd try writing some dialogue which create that humorous overtone.

One thing I wondered is how would certain characters speak. For example I'm sure Kirby can't speak (and after Avalanche, I think it's best not to.)

Something I wished to see more in Subspace Emissary is certain characters having friendships that seem fitting (And not just forming teams and calling it a day).

Yoshi and Kirby should definitely be friends. I sometimes had thought of making skits where they'd speak some things together like two young best friends. It'd be certainly cute to look at.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Another idea I had, that I think someone else has posted already, is to have a boss battle in every stage (just like Kid Icarus: Uprising). Some levels could still be boss only levels, having more extensive boss battles or something like that.

Storytelling-wise... I agree with Habanero in having a humorous story that doesn't take itself seriously, parodying aspects of Nintendo story and such things. They could even poke fun at Nintendo's own mistakes like having a Virtual Boy cameo (perhaps a E. Gadd version akin to the Game Boy Horror in Luigi's Mansion), and the characters would get an headache by trying that thing, much to the embrarrassment of E. Gadd.

Just posting some ideas that popped up in my head...

volbound1700

Smash Master
Re-read thread again, some great ideas.

My only fear for many of them such as individual storylines for each character is that there just isn't enough time or resources to accomplish it. I still want vs. mode to be the main focus.

I re-thought my ideas and I just want a quick Adventure mode that is fun like Melee. I say make the villians team up in a basic storyline to beat the good guys because they are simply bad guys and programmed to do it. Make a stage representing each series (Racing stage for F-Zero, classic Mario stage, etc.) The characters play through the stage and face a boss from that series and then perhaps a battle every once in awhile against a Smash 4 playable villian (basically mini-boss as non-playable villian from series, and major boss being a final villian).

The Final Boss would be Ganondorf or Bowser and you rescue Masterhand in the end who was captured by the villians (I always see Masterhand as being good).

Major Bosses that are or maybe available (Playable Villians):

Ganondorf
Bowser
Wario
King Dedede
Metaknight
Mewtwo (if re-added)
Ridley (if in new Smash)
King K. Rool (if in new Smash)

However, I did find the idea about Roy and Mewtwo getting revenge as interesting lol.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Re-read thread again, some great ideas.

My only fear for many of them such as individual storylines for each character is that there just isn't enough time or resources to accomplish it.
****ing good point!
We can just hope they already have some draft to work on. Maybe some ideas rejected from Melee and Brawl for lack of hardware. Or even , why not? From Klonoa.

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
If nothing else I want a good story, dialogue between characters, and an actual explanation for characters from different universes being the same game... Especially that last one.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
If nothing else I want a good story, dialogue between characters, and an actual explanation for characters from different universes being the same game... Especially that last one.
On the dialogue matter, I agree on the fact of making speechless characters having mimic "dialogues" among them as speechful characters actually speaking among them. With dialogues among speechless and speechful chars reduced to the strictly necessary.
Next question is: how would you like the spoken dialogues to be? In english, japanese, regionally located (it would take more time for the game to be finished), or in a metalanguage with subtitles?

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
On the dialogue matter, I agree on the fact of making speechless characters having mimic "dialogues" among them as speechful characters actually speaking among them. With dialogues among speechless and speechful chars reduced to the strictly necessary.
Next question is: how would you like the spoken dialogues to be? In english, japanese, regionally located (it would take more time for the game to be finished), or in a metalanguage with subtitles?
I think strictly text would be best and most probable.

LosTimeTurner

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lostimeturner
the reason they don't explain these things in the cut scene is because people just understand whats happening in the beginning and if you want to know snake was on halberd look at the name of the cut scene

D

Deleted member

I think each character have their own story mode. Like you play through the whole game with Mario only. Each character have their own playthrough, so they go through different levels. Ultimately, they reach the same destination near the end of the game. Every you start a new game, you choose a character first then play through the game. There will be saves too. I think certain levels can be urban themed (streets, indoors, etc). I'm expecting an Adventure that will be better than Subspace Emissary.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think each character have their own story mode. Like you play through the whole game with Mario only. Each character have their own playthrough, so they go through different levels. Ultimately, they reach the same destination near the end of the game. Every you start a new game, you choose a character first then play through the game. There will be saves too. I think certain levels can be urban themed (streets, indoors, etc). I'm expecting an Adventure that will be better than Subspace Emissary.
Like I said, In my ideal vision every char has half of the story mode on it's own (the single path half) and the other half shared with the other characters (the multipath half that leads to different endings). And some some exclusive levels on it's own too. Thought you can visit them back with the aquired characters. But you can re-visit the exclusive levels only of the character you started with.
Also, each character's story explains only part of the whole story. So, in order to understand it you have to play it with all the characters.

Mari

Saving the planet from disaster!
Like I said, In my ideal vision every char has half of the story mode on it's own (the single path half) and the other half shared with the other characters (the multipath half that leads to different endings). And some some exclusive levels on it's own too. Thought you can visit them back with the aquired characters. But you can re-visit the exclusive levels only of the character you started with.
Also, each character's story explains only part of the whole story. So, in order to understand it you have to play it with all the characters.

THIS.

THIS IS GENIUS.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
It would be perfect if they took Story Mode in this direction. Each character fighting minor characters from their respective games would be nice as well. (Mario characters - Goombas, Koopa Troopas, etc/DK - Mice, klampons etc, and so on and so forth)

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Of course! Classic minions have been in the story mode since Melee and there are no dubts they will be in even this time. And, hopefully, more than the last time. Not that I can blame the creativity of those who created the Subspace Emissary enemies, but I prefer having more ofd the classic stuff this time. Thought I can accept EVIDENT hybrids of the classic enemies, because I think it could be funny to recognize the components of each hybrid. Also, it could be related to the story (the worlds are collapsing into each other and fusing together, starting from the smaller elements).
So, like you said, the characters starts fighting their own enemies, but as the heroes joins together, they start meeting weird mixed up creatures, as well as weird and mixed ups becomes the enviroment, sometimes in a funny and sometimes in a disturbing way.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
it could be related to the story (the worlds are collapsing into each other and fusing together, starting from the smaller elements).
So, like you said, the characters starts fighting their own enemies, but as the heroes joins together, they start meeting weird mixed up creatures, as well as weird and mixed ups becomes the enviroment, sometimes in a funny and sometimes in a disturbing way.
Exactly how I envision it. Well, the ideal story anyway. For some reason this is making me think of Kingdom Hearts now...Haha

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I actually really enjoyed the Subspace Emissary. I thought it was a lot of fun. Just don't have us re-do basically the entire SSE right before we fight the final boss next time.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I actually really enjoyed the Subspace Emissary. I thought it was a lot of fun. Just don't have us re-do basically the entire SSE right before we fight the final boss next time.
I think it just depends how you look at it. If you look at it as a big improvement of 1-P mode (although you can play SSE with another person) compared to Melee, more than likely, you'll have great things to say about it. The graphics were nice, although there was no actual talking, the cutscenes were enjoyable, took a while to complete it 100%, and overall, it's appreciated by those who look at it that way. Those looking more into the story of SSE may have been a little disappointed.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I like what they did with Subspace Emissary how they included every character and gave the evil characters an actual evil role.
However I would like to see it based more in a Nintendo universe. Somehow the Subspace bombs have taken sections of each characters worlds into one big one.

Say you can be playing in Peach's castle, play in other iconic Mario stages, and fight a boss in Bowser's Castle.
Play through a Dreamland level and fight a Kirby boss, or go into Yoshi's Story book.

That's the only negative thing about Subspace Emissary. The gameplay itself was great, 2 player was fun, and some levels could actually be pretty challenging. But they had forgetful enemies for the most part and the only recognizable enemies are from the Mario series. Playing through a Pokemon level where Pokemon enemies are hiding in tall grass to jump out at you would be much better than that random chicken thing that breaks apart into a little bird.

The cutscenes were amazing and I really liked how different characters teamed up and went on their own side stories until they all met up at the end. They definitely need to keep that aspect, but have it based in a familiar Nintendo world.

And not have the last few levels be a compilation of a bunch of stages you already played... They got kind of lazy there

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I like what they did with Subspace Emissary how they included every character and gave the evil characters an actual evil role.
However I would like to see it based more in a Nintendo universe. Somehow the Subspace bombs have taken sections of each characters worlds into one big one.

Say you can be playing in Peach's castle, play in other iconic Mario stages, and fight a boss in Bowser's Castle.
Play through a Dreamland level and fight a Kirby boss, or go into Yoshi's Story book.

That's the only negative thing about Subspace Emissary. The gameplay itself was great, 2 player was fun, and some levels could actually be pretty challenging. But they had forgetful enemies for the most part and the only recognizable enemies are from the Mario series. Playing through a Pokemon level where Pokemon enemies are hiding in tall grass to jump out at you would be much better than that random chicken thing that breaks apart into a little bird.

The cutscenes were amazing and I really liked how different characters teamed up and went on their own side stories until they all met up at the end. They definitely need to keep that aspect, but have it based in a familiar Nintendo world.

And not have the last few levels be a compilation of a bunch of stages you already played... They got kind of lazy there
Yeahhh, you want the same things Hypercat-Z and I were discussing. I wouldn't mind having to wait a little while longer for the game's release if it means we can get features such as these added.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Yeahhh, you want the same things Hypercat-Z and I were discussing. I wouldn't mind having to wait a little while longer for the game's release if it means we can get features such as these added.
I'd be okay with that. I mean I'll still be pulling my hair out waiting for it but if it means a huge universe where different Nintendo character's worlds come together I'd be very happy.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'd be okay with that. I mean I'll still be pulling my hair out waiting for it but if it means a huge universe where different Nintendo character's worlds come together I'd be very happy.
I'm slowly dying inside just waiting for E3...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, I did have a post-story boss perspective in my mind.

Demise
[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

Demise is a secret boss, whom can only be fought by getting a 100% completion on your Adventure Mode game data. By completing this task, an extra stage will be unlocked, which is solely a bonus battle against Demise himself.

Demise can only be fought on the Intense difficulty level, making him extremely hard to beat on your first attempt. He also appears taller than all the playable characters in the game.

Demise is the only boss to not appear in The Arena. However, if the player defeats Demise, he/she will unlock a bonus Event Match, where the player has to fight Demise with only one stock life. Also, the player's Adventure Mode game data will achieve 101% completion.

Health
Intense: 800 HP

Phase 1
Much like in the game he originated in, Demise is very skilled with his sword, and his sword can deal extremely lethal damage with just one attack. Because of this, getting close to Demise can be quite fatal if you don't get out of his attack path.

To make matters worse, Demise will easily block any attack, but he does leave himself wide open temporarily whenever he attacks. Likewise, attacks from behind will damage Demise as well, but he'll quickly jump out of the way to ensure that his guard is still strong.

Phase 2
When the player cuts Demise's HP in half, he'll start to summon a lightning storm, which will then charge up his sword with electricity. At this point, attacking him directly is suicide, as simply touching Demise will heavily damage the player. Instead, the player needs to wait for Demise to release a powerful electrical beam before being able to attack him directly again.

The electrical beam is extremely lethal as well, but interestingly, the attack can be reflected right back at Demise, which can immobilize him temporarily. However, after 5 seconds pass, Demise will quickly recover, and perform a counterattack if you're too close to him.

Throughout the second phase, Demise will not only use the same attacks as in the first phase, but he'll often utilize his own lightning storm to give his sword electrical energy. He also strikes faster than in the first phase.

If the player drops Demise's HP to 0, he will fall and vanish, ending the battle.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

If we are talking of bosses I want the darn moon of Majora's Mask. This is how I envision it:
It's BIG. Not as big as it was in the game but enough to hold Giga Bowser inside. and it floats in a wavy manner around the screen while looking left or right. In this phase it's pretty hard to reach. But once it spots a character standing enough firm on the ground, it stops over him/her, watching down and crushing on hm/her. If hitten, the character is istantly swe sweeped out, but if missed, the moon sinks into the ground for almost half of its diameter (enough to cover its whole face) and it's an easy target, before, few seconds later, it pulls itself out.
Once all of its HP are exausted it splits into two smaller, weaker but faster moons, that once defeated splits in two too, and so the smaller smaller moons, and the smaller smaller smaller moons, till they become so small that can't even afford a HP by how weak they are (and they die with a small POP!).
If you spotted an Asteroid/Pang inspiration you are right. But why not? Nintendo knocked off Bubble Bobble (much evidently!) in Super Mario Bros. Wii U, so this would be a lesser knock off.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Another idea for the story mode would be divinding the characters based on their home worlds' settings and converging into one final story. For example, characters from sci-fi worlds (Metroid, F-Zero, Star Fox) would be grouped in one story, fantasy worlds (Zelda, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus) in another, modern settings in another (EarthBound, Pokémon, Metal Gear) and the more cartoony ones in another (Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby).

Upon completing all those stories, a new, final story would be unlocked that would pick after these four stories, linking them and telling the final showdown against the big bad or big bads.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Another idea for the story mode would be divinding the characters based on their home worlds' settings and converging into one final story. For example, characters from sci-fi worlds (Metroid, F-Zero, Star Fox) would be grouped in one story, fantasy worlds (Zelda, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus) in another, modern settings in another (EarthBound, Pokémon, Metal Gear) and the more cartoony ones in another (Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby).

Upon completing all those stories, a new, final story would be unlocked that would pick after these four stories, linking them and telling the final showdown against the big bad or big bads.
Not a bad idea. It has also the vantage every story could have a different mechanic. Like one having a metroidvania structure and another one having a stages structure. The disvantage is... To put FIVE story modes into a single game, they would have to be enough short.
Still, more than one story is somethings might like. I just remembered of Kirby's Fun Pack, my really first approach with the pink ball. It was kinda like you described the story mode, and it made me loving kirby. So... IT... COULD... WORK!!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Oh yes, it could! Your mention of Kirby's Fun Pak only solidifies the argument, since Kirby's Fun Pak was made by Sakurai himself!

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Oh! I confess I didn't know (gotta check the credits of that game).
Besides, when, few posts before, I said "creatures mixed in a funny or disturbing way" I meant THIS level of disturbing.
Do you think it would be too nightmarish?

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
What if the main villain is a god/goddess of destruction and destroy the worlds using pieces of there worlds. Put the heroes into battling each other against there wills. The heroes had enough and go battle the main villain. Some heroes would be brainwash as a villain and has to be defeated to regain the fallen hero.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I don't know who all has read my story mode concept in my blog (link in signature), but I'm planning on uploading my prologue soon. I've been working on it here and there when I've had time, and I really like how it's coming together. It's really more the narrative presentation, as I've explained the technical bits and concepts already.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86

I agree with this idea. I would still like to see some mixing of characters before hand I thought that was a lot of fun in the Subspace. Batching characters with similar backgrounds is a cool idea could have something where Samus is shot down by Ridley and crash lands onto a planet where there's an F-Zero race is going on Ridley pursues and as about to attack Samus, possibly in the zero suit as her power suit was disabled in the crash, when Captain Falcon shows up and hits Ridley with a Falcon Punch and then one match starts similar to subspace. As the game progresses it's eventually revealed that someone bigger is pulling all the strings.

Might add more to this idea later don't got the time now.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
An idea would be for the player to battle Bowser. When he is defeated, some character casts a spell on him and he turns into Giga Bowser!

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I was thinking back of Mystical Ninja 2 and I'm wondering if it could be a good idea if there will be, like in the game of the Konami, some stages entirely made of shops, save points and such similar things. This would be the only way to make franchises like Crossing Mama and Animal Cooking having a cameo in the game.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
The list of what 90% of smashfan and me want in the next smash bros adventure mode:

More nitendo enemy, level and boss

Dialogue box

A less boring gameplay

That this mode be unlockable after unlock all characters

(Scuse me if I forget somethings)

And now, a idea for the story mode.

They can make a story like all the villains team up for takeover smash with the help of crazy hand ( because he's destruction and master hand creation, so master hand is a GOOD GUY) and first you defeat them in a great story with cutscene and all with crazy hand as the final boss and unlcock the villain's version of the story with master hand as the final boss when you finish hero's story. When the villain's story is finish, you discover that a super powerful and bad**s guy manipulated the two hand for destroy evreethings (control the world isn't evil for him) and you have to fight him with a villains or a hero after that he explain evreethings.

Thanks if you read all the post.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The list of what 90% of smashfan and me want in the next smash bros adventure mode:

More nitendo enemy, level and boss

Dialogue box

A less boring gameplay

That this mode be unlockable after unlock all characters

(Scuse me if I forget somethings)

And now, a idea for the story mode.

They can make a story like all the villains team up for takeover smash with the help of crazy hand ( because he's destruction and master hand creation, so master hand is a GOOD GUY) and first you defeat them in a great story with cutscene and all with crazy hand as the final boss and unlcock the villain's version of the story with master hand as the final boss when you finish hero's story. When the villain's story is finish, you discover that a super powerful and bad**s guy manipulated the two hand for destroy evreethings (control the world isn't evil for him) and you have to fight him with a villains or a hero after that he explain evreethings.

Thanks if you read all the post.
Everything I agree with, except for that dialogue box.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I read in some post of this thread that some people want a final boss for the adventure mode that is create for the game, because if the final boss come from a Nintendo serie, there will be trouble. So, anybody have an idea for is design, is history or is poser?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I read in some post of this thread that some people want a final boss for the adventure mode that is create for the game, because if the final boss come from a Nintendo serie, there will be trouble. So, anybody have an idea for is design, is history or is poser?
Let me guess.... English isn't your first language, perhaps?

What trouble will be there if the final boss is from a Nintendo series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom