• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strangle Grab comboes.

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
I never see people using these so Idk if this is known or not, just disregard it if it is.

Figured out a new trick with alot of chars grabs the other day. Basically if you grab someone and just keep pounding on them and they escape (but they can't escape upward). You can then combo it into alot of chars moves.

Falco- Comboes into his AAA, reflector and sets up perfectly for his fsmash
Sonic- Comboes into his AAA (2nd hit misses tho) or his ftilt, Sets up for both Fsmash and dsmash
Wolf- Comboes into his Fsmash very well, occasionlly into his upsmash as well.
Link- Comboes into his dsmash and his AAA
toon link- same as link
Peach- Comboes into AA
Ike- Comboes into AAA
Snake- Comboes into a regrab or his AAA, or his ftilt, or his dtilt
Fox- Comboes into AAA
Donkey Kong- Comboes into Ftilt or his Fully charged B.
Charizard- Comboes into regrab or AAA
Squirtle- Comboes into AAA
Mario- Comboes into AAA sets up for Fsmash
Luigi- Comboes into AAA or dsmash
Sheik- Sorta comboes into AAA
DDD- comboes into A or dsmash
Marth- comboes into A or dsmash or uptilt.
Bowser- Comboes into AA (most chars can't even block this at all).

That's all i got for now, Some chars it won't work on and its possible to block alot of these but of course if u see them block it you can just run up and regrab them.

This works best with charizard obviously (his case is actually a real combo).

Yoshi, Diddy, Gannondorf, Olimar this does not work for.

Foxy

Smash Master
Doval, you're actually incorrect. From my experience, these will mostly land regardless of whatever your opponent attempts to do. For example, I consistently use Marth's grab into his fsmash as a finisher, and I haven't seen it escaped yet. (This is against human players.)

I'm sure individual combos need more testing but these do really work.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Marth can actually regrab Ness and Lucas. Grab infinite. Finish with foward or down smash.

Marth should also be able up B a lot of characters from this, in addition to side B.

Doval

Smash Lord
Doval, you're actually incorrect. From my experience, these will mostly land regardless of whatever your opponent attempts to do. For example, I consistently use Marth's grab into his fsmash as a finisher, and I haven't seen it escaped yet. (This is against human players.)
Smart people would use a very handy thing called the shield, after the 2nd or 3rd time. Or, you know, simply hold up so they escape upwards. I'm not saying these aren't legitimate mind games, but to say most of these combo is ridiculous. Shielding will avoid the jabs, and sidesteps can avoid anything slower than a jab. Especially the ones involving smashes of all things.

Also, the infinite grab with Marth doesn't work on Ness.

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
Yeah the point for marth isnt to regrab anyway. With his you want them to block because it sets up right for his shield breaker.

The only one who can definately regrab is Charizard and for some chars snake as well. Escaping upward also leaves them open for other mind games.

Bowsers however is definately unblockable and some chars can't block ike's either. Even if they do you can run up and regrab them with any of the other chars. or if they barrel roll backward you can dash attack them.

It's just a mind game I found out that not alot of people use.

Vro

Smash Lord
Air dodging completely ruins this. However, there's still value in regrabs.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
True, they may be escapable but, will your opponent escape? That is the question. I'd say it's worth a shot. I'll try to add this to my game! Thanks!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah the point for marth isnt to regrab anyway. With his you want them to block because it sets up right for his shield breaker.

The only one who can definately regrab is Charizard and for some chars snake as well. Escaping upward also leaves them open for other mind games.

Bowsers however is definately unblockable and some chars can't block ike's either. Even if they do you can run up and regrab them with any of the other chars. or if they barrel roll backward you can dash attack them.
Shieldbreaker is relatively slow. You can spotdodge on reaction (I'm pretty sure). Also, you have to actually charge it for it to fully break a shield so if you do, then it's definitely spotdogable on reaction.

Mistake

Smash Rookie
Funny, I never considered allowing my opponents to escape from my grabs... I've gotten too used to quickly tossing them in one direction and continuing my fighting that way. I'll definitely try this :D

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
Shieldbreaker is relatively slow. You can spotdodge on reaction (I'm pretty sure). Also, you have to actually charge it for it to fully break a shield so if you do, then it's definitely spotdogable on reaction.
Ya the point isn't to really to break the shield but reduce it to nothing from what I've played. Once its so small you know people won't be blocking you for awhile. Also since its set up perfectly at the sweetspot at the b using this it can break a shield pretty easily (if it isn't fully charged it'll probably almost always break).

Obviously you shouldn't spam doing the B only, Marth has two other options to trick them into blocking once you do this.

Also technically link and toon link can regrab but Idk if I recommend that.

Top Bottom