• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategies and picks in doubles

O.o-RITH-o.O

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys o/
I'm preparing me for a doubles tournament that is comming in mine city,i want some help of the knowledgeable if possible =D

What do you guys think in doubles about chars and combinations,stages,etc?
the chars with the best affinity one each other,can give backup if needed and this stuff ?
is falcon usable in doubles or is free frag? the same question for link and dk...
thanks

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
It depends on your skill level.

If you're average DON'T go link.

If you kinda suck go with Kirby,Pikachu(throws are good),DK.

If you're good then I suggest, Samus, Fox, CF, Ness. Mostly spikers because those are very effectives in teams.

Best combination imo is, Kirby/Pikachu, but I hate playing with kirbies because they always end up killing you...I usually do Samus/Pikachu which is awesome.

D

Deleted member

best is easily pika/kirby

pikachu has a really low chance of getting gimped and is excellent overall

kirby can rack up damage really easily with no need to do fancy combos, just up-tilt

his recovery lasts long enough for your partner to come help you, most of the time

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Aside from the obvious double Pika team, I think Falcon + DK would be good. Falcon combos into donkey punch ftw, and any time it is 2v1 (between stocks or at the end of the match) either of them can throw into the other's neutral-b or into spikes for early kills. Also, epic double taunt-cancels :p

In general, spikes and good throws are good to have. Double Falcons can infinite throw back and forth to each other with a bit of practice, and I think Fox can do it too.

kit

Smash Apprentice
my favs:

fox + link
samus + dk
cf ditto (you get to show off tiwce as many moves)
puff + link

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Everyone loves DK + Falcon (F-Throw into spike or punch). They're my favourite team.
Double Fox/Pika is very hard to kill, as they are fast and annoying
If you don't know your partner, I'd suggest Pika or Yoshi as a fallback. They can take on two people if your partner's a noob, plus they both have good juggles.

As for your suggestions, Falcon and DK are great in doubles. Link has large, disjointed hitboxes and can harass with projectiles, and KO with good timing. However, he hasn't got outstanding setups. Not to mention he dies easily to two foes.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Blue Yoshi said:
What about two kirbys side by side facing each other both spamming up-tilt? :p
I think you would win by default, as it would be really hard for your opponents to not punch themselves in the face

D

Deleted member

trust me everybody else besides Pikachu and Kirby die too easily and require too much time to setup combos in doubles , assuming the opponent is smart. Either that or they simply don't have the damage racking ability to kill fast enough. Fox/Falcon are decent picks also but they are also great at getting gimp-killed. Fox is safer at recovery however if you recover high

Double Fox is interesting because you can super laser spam

Link gets gimped, a mistake fighting near the edge will be death. in 2v2 this situation happens a lot

Ness is great at getting gimped but can heal if partnered with projectile characters. He isn't a very smart choice though imo.

Skill is obviously the greatest factor but if you don't have much experience just stick to having you and your partner using kirbies and up-tilt to victory. Many people cannot handle it and will want to sock you in the face

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Pika/Kirby team *****. Judging by the fact you actually needed to ask this question and couldn't figure it out yourself (not that I mean to imply anything bad by that), you probably want to go with this team if you know how to use these characters, because they are such an unstoppable force together.

OldSchoolSmasher

Smash Rookie
Call me crazy, but having a Luigi in a doubles team is amazing in my experience. When there's some clustering, his Dragon Punch can be very quick and effective.

O.o-RITH-o.O

Smash Journeyman
i agree the best double is pika and kirby...
pika + fox would be the second place i think

Cryptic C62

Smash Cadet
One thing that I've noticed with Ness in teams is that because his Up+B takes so long (both the charge-up and the vertical floatiness if you hit the side of the stage), it can give the teammate time to lightly hit Ness and give him another recovery chance if the first one fails.

Fox / Kirby should be good in theory. Fox has so many good options for sending the opponent vertically (utilt, usmash, uair), which Kirby can then combo off of using his floatiness and dair. The same might also be true with Falcon's up moves (grounded dair, usmash, uair).

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Fox / Kirby should be good in theory. Fox has so many good options for sending the opponent vertically (utilt, usmash, uair), which Kirby can then combo off of using his floatiness and dair. The same might also be true with Falcon's up moves (grounded dair, usmash, uair).
I was playing this on the weekend and this is true, once you get into a routine of being able to hit the characters into kirby's dair/kirby in general you have a good team.

Cryptic C62

Smash Cadet
As for general strategies, I usually see the following: the match breaks up into one-on-ones. If you see your teammate getting edgeguarded, try to pull away from your fight and distract the other opponent. If your teammate has just died, run like hell to avoid getting 2-on-1 combo'd. If one of your opponents has just died, **** the other one.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
If you see your teammate getting edgeguarded, try to pull away from your fight and distract the other opponent.
Indeed, never let your teammate get edgeguarded, get the hell over there and save him. It's hard to edgeguard when you're being attacked, so your teammate can have safe passage.

Also saving a teammate who's used up all his jumps and up+b by hitting them with something (a wisely spaced aerial, or a projectile) can save lives.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Ness + anyone who can heal him.

This shouldn't be underestimated. Along with the obvious healing, this causes the opponent(s) to approach in your team's terms. Fox, Mario/Luigi, and Ness are the best when it comes to healing, but even Kirby and Yoshi slowly healing Ness is something an opponent does not want.

Cryptic C62

Smash Cadet
Hmm. I'd imagine Kirby would be very good at protecting Ness during his recovery attempts.

D

Deleted member

Ness + anyone who can heal him.

This shouldn't be underestimated. Along with the obvious healing, this causes the opponent(s) to approach in your team's terms. Fox, Mario/Luigi, and Ness are the best when it comes to healing, but even Kirby and Yoshi slowly healing Ness is something an opponent does not want.

Eggs don't heal Ness because they aren't a beam or fiery object like Fox, Samus, Luigi/Mario, Kirby's Up-B, Charizard Flames, Blastoise ETC. Same for Link's bombs and boomerang.

To me, Ness isn't the smartest choice in teams if you want to win because he has very unforgiving recovery and is great at getting gimped at low percentages. He can heal, but if he can't second jump back and down-b sweet spot the edge, which is impossible if a Kirby down-tilts , he is going to have a difficult time coming back unless you have a really cool partner who will jump in and molest people who try to kill you. On the other hand, your partner can get gang -banged by the other two players while Ness take 50 years to recover back onto the stage.

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
I faced this the other day, and its extremely aggravating. Smart "Noob" Utilting kirby player (not rly noob just someone playing like it) with a great fox player thats excellent at pressuring. Me and my teams partner (tho shes not that great, shes excellent with me in teams) could barely touch this team. It was aggravating even tho I could read them perfectly it grinded my team to a halt with this method.

P D

Smash Ace
I faced this the other day, and its extremely aggravating. Smart "Noob" Utilting kirby player (not rly noob just someone playing like it) with a great fox player thats excellent at pressuring. Me and my teams partner (tho shes not that great, shes excellent with me in teams) could barely touch this team. It was aggravating even tho I could read them perfectly it grinded my team to a halt with this method.
i think i was the fox in that game lolll

Top Bottom